PDA

View Full Version : Losing Network Connection

ExtremeChief
06-14-2005, 06:06 AM
We purchased a Dell with XP and hooked it into a router so we can share a high speed internet connection. The other computer is an old HP with 98 on it, and it works fine. The Dell loses connection after sitting idle for awhile (usually overnight) and only connects again after a restart. I downloaded and installed an "always on" program, I believe it was called AC Plug, but that didn't help either. I thought I would ask here before calling Dell since you speak the same language I do.

Saulbadguy
06-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Go to the network card properties in device manager. There is a tab labeled "Power Management". If the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box is checked, uncheck it.

Does that help? :D

AeroSquid
06-14-2005, 06:41 AM
update your routers firmware, especially if it's a linksys.

htismaqe
06-14-2005, 06:48 AM
Go to the network card properties in device manager. There is a tab labeled "Power Management". If the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box is checked, uncheck it.

that would be my guess

BigRedChief
06-14-2005, 07:12 AM

Tech Support 101 test has been passed. Gold Star to the K-State Alum. :clap:

Mr. Laz
06-14-2005, 10:49 AM
yep, sounds like some kind of time lock like saul suggests.

also check any firewall/router software you have

like zone alarm has an option to lock the internet after certain amount of idle time.

jspchief
06-14-2005, 12:17 PM

I decided to do this as well. I lose my DSL connection almost once per day for no apparent reason. Most times cycling the power on the router works, but I also have to restart my entire computer sometimes.

If this fixes it, I'm going to send an e-mail with a blown up picture of tubgirl to Qwest tech support. I've been battling this problem for 3+ years, and am on my third or fourth modem. The only answer they can ever give is "you just have to do that with modems sometimes".

Saulbadguy
06-14-2005, 12:18 PM
If this fixes it, I'm going to send an e-mail with a blown up picture of tubgirl to Qwest tech support.
ROFL

ExtremeChief
06-16-2005, 04:40 AM
I'll try it tonight..

Thanks

ExtremeChief
06-30-2005, 06:05 AM

Yes... thank you.

Saulbadguy
06-30-2005, 06:24 AM
I'll add that to your tab. :)

ExtremeChief
06-30-2005, 06:40 AM
I'll add that to your tab. :)

It's getting pretty high by now.

:)

ExtremeChief
10-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Still having trouble.. what should this setting be?

Device Manager
Advanced
Wake on Settings

Disabled
OS controlled
Wake on directed packet
Wake on magic and directed
Wake on magic packet

thx