PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: Chiefs Notebook 6/15

tk13
06-15-2005, 01:09 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11896717.htm

Vermeil says Hakim has no guarantees
CHIEFS NOTEBOOK

Do not be fooled by the smiles, the gushing or the fact Az-Zahir Hakim had dinner with the Vermeils last week and Carol Vermeil pointed out how much their old friend had matured.

Hakim will be in Kansas City today, he’ll compete for a receiver spot, but that’s all coach Dick Vermeil is promising.

“A position isn’t going to be handed to him in a Christmas package,” Vermeil said Tuesday. “He’s going to have to compete, and he knows that. I didn’t really actively recruit hard to get this guy. I wanted him to come on his own.

“There’s more receivers on our field today that can compete for one of those positions than we’ve ever had since I’ve been here. So it will be fun to watch.”

The Chiefs reached an oral agreement with Hakim late last week. His agent, Bruce Tollner, said Hakim was expected to catch a flight out of California late Tuesday and will sign his contract after arriving in Kansas City.

Tollner said Hakim agreed to a one-year deal but declined to specify a salary amount.

Both Vermeil and president/general manager Carl Peterson have said that they would sign a receiver only if they could get him at or near the veteran minimum. Hakim will help fill the void left by receiver Johnnie Morton, who was cut earlier this month after he refused to restructure his contract.

Tollner said Hakim, a 5-foot-10, 185-pounder, probably will participate in today’s offseason workout.

Hakim was cut from Detroit in April and has spent nearly two months searching for the right fit. Hakim and Vermeil have a long history. Six years ago, he played on Vermeil’s Super Bowl champion team in St. Louis.

“If he’s anywhere close to what he was then, he’ll have a very good chance to make a strong contribution to this offense,” Vermeil said.

■ SECOND FIDDLE?: After spending seven years as a starter, Chiefs safety Jerome Woods is running with the No. 2 defense.

Woods, who arrived at offseason workouts late because he said he was working with a speed coach, now finds himself behind longtime friend Greg Wesley. Vermeil said that’s how the depth chart is stacked now, in part because the Chiefs acquired Sammy Knight to fill the strong safety spot and in part because Wesley played well enough at the end of the year to keep a starting job.

On several occasions this spring, Vermeil has raved about Wesley’s offseason work ethic. He’s moved from strong safety to free safety.

“I talked to Jerome about this — you can’t be fair to everybody,” Vermeil said.

“Jerome is getting back into it. You know his feelings were hurt, and I understand that. I hurt my wife’s feelings from time to time. It’s just impossible to make everybody happy. But we respect Jerome Woods, and we care about him, and he will be put in a strong position to compete.”

■ LOOKING BETTER: The Chiefs worked on goal-line stands during Tuesday’s practice, and rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson impressed the coaches when he successfully defended a pass that fell incomplete in the corner of the end zone.

“We’re so much further ahead defensively than we were last year at the same time,” Vermeil said. “Even in the mental side of it. … Hopefully that leads to progress, and progress leads to confidence, and confidence leads to better performance.”

■ FOUR MEN OUT: Vermeil’s praise for the defense came on a day when some of their regulars were missing. Defensive end Eric Hicks, cornerback Patrick Surtain and tackles John Browning and Junior Siavii did not attend Tuesday’s workout.

Vermeil said Surtain had a personal situation, Browning is helping his wife through a delicate pregnancy, and Siavii went to get a second opinion on his knee and will be back in practice today.

Hicks was at the hospital as his daughter, Shayla, had what Vermeil called a “heart procedure.” Shayla overcame numerous heart surgeries as an infant.

“She’s going to be OK,” Vermeil said. “I haven’t checked with him today, but they were confident that everything was going to be all right.”

Count Zarth
06-15-2005, 01:31 AM
Man I am pumped about this defense....can't wait to see it.

Brando
06-15-2005, 01:35 AM
Man I am pumped about this defense....can't wait to see it.
Holy shit! Someone wake up Phil..you and I agree about something!

Count Zarth
06-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Holy shit! Someone wake up Phil..you and I agree about something!

I'll go get him.

Pants
06-15-2005, 01:38 AM
I'll go get him.

Don't wake him up. Did he at least give you a reach around before falling asleep?

Brando
06-15-2005, 01:39 AM
I'll go get him.

Did you at least give him a kiss good night for me like you promised? ROFL ROFL

ROYC75
06-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Me too, I cant wait to see this D this year.

Brando
06-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Roy..go check out the post title LMAO

ROYC75
06-15-2005, 01:45 AM
This aint big daddy, this is son, he's logged on on this computer and i cant get it to log off.

Stupid Piece of Shit computer.

Count Zarth
06-15-2005, 01:48 AM
This aint big daddy, this is son, he's logged on on this computer and i cant get it to log off.

How is it the computer's fault? ROFL

Brando
06-15-2005, 01:48 AM

LOL..that's funny. You should PM the girls and tell them how hot you are for 'em.

ROYC75
06-15-2005, 01:49 AM
Because when im viewin the lounge it is royr17 signed in, but when i view a thread it is ROYC75 signed it. This computer is crazy and a complete piece of shit.

Count Zarth
06-15-2005, 01:51 AM
Because when im viewin the lounge it is royr17 signed in, but when i view a thread it is ROYC75 signed it. This computer is crazy and a complete piece of shit.

Sounds like an ID-10T error. Do you want me to correct it?

ROYC75
06-15-2005, 01:52 AM
yea what do u do to correct it ???

Pants
06-15-2005, 01:54 AM
Hahaha, this is some good shit.

Count Zarth
06-15-2005, 02:03 AM
yea what do u do to correct it ???

You have to get rid of the ID-10T.

ROYC75
06-15-2005, 02:40 AM
You have to get rid of the ID-10T.

How do I do that ?

Saggysack
06-15-2005, 04:33 AM
How do I do that ?

:shake:

You can't.

ID-10T=idiot

the Talking Can
06-15-2005, 05:22 AM
"...and Siavii went to get a second opinion on his knee and will be back in practice today"

that fat pos hasn't done anything, how can he have a knee problem?

KCFalcon59
06-15-2005, 06:56 AM
"...and Siavii went to get a second opinion on his knee and will be back in practice today"

He tripped walking to the buffet.

JimNasium
06-15-2005, 07:00 AM

When I first read this I thought they were talking about Surtain. :(

HemiEd
06-15-2005, 07:44 AM

He was a rookie last year with a late start coming from Oregon. He got very few reps. What did he play, two years of Division one ball? I think he needs a little time.

BigChiefFan
06-15-2005, 07:52 AM
He was a rookie last year with a late start coming from Oregon. He got very few reps. What did he play, two years of Division one ball? I think he needs a little time.
Nothing like spending another 2nd rounder on a major PROJECT. I hope our FO finally got that mentality out of their minds.

TRing
06-15-2005, 08:27 AM
its gonna be sweet to be able to go to arrowhead this saturday and see what this team looks like, its been a while since everybody was this is excited.

HemiEd
06-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Nothing like spending another 2nd rounder on a major PROJECT. I hope our FO finally got that mentality out of their minds.

Who would have been a better choice that was available with that pick? I am sure there were some, but they escape my memory right now. I know this, the kid has overcome a lot in his life, hope he does it again.

TEX
06-15-2005, 08:43 AM

Not true. Siavii played well when he played. Sure he made some mistakes, but in one game last year he blew up the play and stuffed the RB in the backfield. Also got a couple of sacks. He was hurt against the Falcons by a cheap block (such is the trait of any Alex Gibs coached O-line) and he was done. That injury really set him back.

Now, if you're talingg about Ryan Sims, you have a very good point. :hmmm:

shaneo69
06-15-2005, 08:49 AM

Yes, it was stupid to take a project with our top pick. The guy needs to step up and be a starter this year or our defense is not going to improve with the soft middle we had last season.

But to be fair, Siavii was cheap-shotted as Tex mentioned. It worries me that he's still having knee problems because our line (and defense as a whole) will not improve if he doesn't step up.

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Yes, it was stupid to take a project with our top pick. The guy needs to step up and be a starter this year or our defense is not going to improve with the soft middle we had last season.

But to be fair, Siavii was cheap-shotted as Tex mentioned. It worries me that he's still having knee problems because our line (and defense as a whole) will not improve if he doesn't step up.

I don't think it all hinges on Siavii. It could be Sims too. But one of them absolutely has to step up.

BigChiefFan
06-15-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't think it all hinges on Siavii. It could be Sims too. But one of them absolutely has to step up.
It would be nice if one or both of them step up, but we still have Browning and Dalton to man the DT position, if necessary.

shaneo69
06-15-2005, 09:20 AM
It would be nice if one or both of them step up, but we still have Browning and Dalton to man the DT position, if necessary.

If Browning and Dalton are getting the most PT at DT, we're in big trouble.

milkman
06-15-2005, 09:22 AM

With the additions of Bell, Knight, Surtain and Johnson, the defense will actually show up this year.

However, if this defense is to really make huge strides, Browning has to be only a B/U DT.

If Sims or Siavii, or both, don't take a huge step froward, this defense will not be in the top half of the league standings.

BigChiefFan
06-15-2005, 09:28 AM
I PREFER the young guys to step up, but Sims hasn't shown me enough to warrant a starting job. He flat out sucked last year.

jspchief
06-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Who would have been a better choice that was available with that pick?

At DT? Probably only Darnell Dockett. We could have had him with either of our round 2 picks.

We also could have had:
Bob Sanders FS
Keiwan Ratliff CB
Michael Boulware SS
Darius Watts WR
Madieu Williams CB
Antwan Odom DE
Keary Colbert WR

Basically, we could have had a lot of guys that had potential to start right away, rather than being a 1+ year project. I hated the pick then, and I still hate it. But not as much as I hated the Kris Wilson pick.

BIG_DADDY
06-15-2005, 09:30 AM

What the hell is wrong with the knee? That doesn't sound good at all.

TRing
06-15-2005, 09:41 AM
I cant believe we have gone this long without anybody saying anything about jarred allen who had a great rookie campaign. Sims was a bust who needs to step up and siavii could make a difference if he gets healthy

HemiEd
06-15-2005, 09:53 AM
At DT? Probably only Darnell Dockett. We could have had him with either of our round 2 picks.

We also could have had:
Bob Sanders FS
Keiwan Ratliff CB
Michael Boulware SS
Darius Watts WR
Madieu Williams CB
Antwan Odom DE
Keary Colbert WR

Basically, we could have had a lot of guys that had potential to start right away, rather than being a 1+ year project. I hated the pick then, and I still hate it. But not as much as I hated the Kris Wilson pick.

Hopefully both of those picks will earn your respect. I am excited about the potential of both, but obviously both have not done what we would like yet.

TRing
06-15-2005, 10:00 AM
kris wilson will be yet another threat on offense. just wait til opposing defenses double on tony g, and wilson ends up with 5-6 catches a game because of it. then there is dunn who is as good of a blocker as any TE in the game. i'm so pumped up for this season, its gonna be great!!!

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 11:30 AM
With the additions of Bell, Knight, Surtain and Johnson, the defense will actually show up this year.

However, if this defense is to really make huge strides, Browning has to be only a B/U DT.

If Sims or Siavii, or both, don't take a huge step froward, this defense will not be in the top half of the league standings.

Agreed.

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 11:31 AM

Agreed.

Idahored
06-15-2005, 11:54 AM

We also could have had:
Bob Sanders FS
Keiwan Ratliff CB
Michael Boulware SS
Darius Watts WR
Madieu Williams CB
Antwan Odom DE
Keary Colbert WR

And how many of those players were starters and/or strong contributors on their team?? How many of them played more snaps by percentage than Savii? If you decide to run those numbers, remember that Savii was also injured in the Atlanta game and that has nothing to do with his being a project...

jspchief
06-15-2005, 12:30 PM
And how many of those players were starters and/or strong contributors on their team?? How many of them played more snaps by percentage than Savii? If you decide to run those numbers, remember that Savii was also injured in the Atlanta game and that has nothing to do with his being a project...

All them them played in 10 or more games except for Sanders (who was a contract holdout), and most of them played in all 16 games.

Most if not all of them were strong contributors. I can list the stats to back it up if you want. In terms of percentage of snaps played, that info isn't readily available, but I'll guarantee every one of those guys I listed made more of an impact when they were in the game.

As far as Siavii's injury, yes it held him back, but the coaches admitted from the first day he was in camp that he was raw and had a long way to go, just like pre-draft evaluations had said. Even if he had been healthy, he would have seen pretty limited action. And when he was in, he was invisible more often than not.

If you don't think Siavii was a project last year, you don't pay very close attention to the Chiefs.

Someone asked who else we could have taken. I listed 7 off the top of my head that were taken after him in round 2. If I looked harder, I'm sure I could name a few more (Teddy Lehman went after Siavii I believe). The point being, we used a 2nd round pick on a guy that was clearly a project, and there were guys available that could have made an immediate impact.

BIG_DADDY
06-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I am still looking for someone to tell me what's wrong with Siavii's knee. Anyone know?

nmt1
06-15-2005, 12:43 PM

I believe he was actually done in by Alex Gibbs and the Falcons offensive line.

Idahored
06-15-2005, 01:03 PM
All them them played in 10 or more games except for Sanders (who was a contract holdout), and most of them played in all 16 games.

Most if not all of them were strong contributors. I can list the stats to back it up if you want. In terms of percentage of snaps played, that info isn't readily available, but I'll guarantee every one of those guys I listed made more of an impact when they were in the game.

As far as Siavii's injury, yes it held him back, but the coaches admitted from the first day he was in camp that he was raw and had a long way to go, just like pre-draft evaluations had said. Even if he had been healthy, he would have seen pretty limited action. And when he was in, he was invisible more often than not.

If you don't think Siavii was a project last year, you don't pay very close attention to the Chiefs.

Someone asked who else we could have taken. I listed 7 off the top of my head that were taken after him in round 2. If I looked harder, I'm sure I could name a few more (Teddy Lehman went after Siavii I believe). The point being, we used a 2nd round pick on a guy that was clearly a project, and there were guys available that could have made an immediate impact.

Good enough, I will take your word on the other players. Yes, I know that Savii was a project, and still is a project. He may end up being a bust, but he also may end up being one of the best DT's in the league in a year or two. Personally, I think he was worth the risk and obviously, you do not. That is fine with me and I can see why you would feel different, but we both will have to live with the result.

If in a year or two, he lives up to the potential will you change your tune?? If in a year or two (from now) he ends up being a bust, then I will agree whole heartedly with you. :)

jspchief
06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Good enough, I will take your word on the other players. Yes, I know that Savii was a project, and still is a project. He may end up being a bust, but he also may end up being one of the best DT's in the league in a year or two. Personally, I think he was worth the risk and obviously, you do not. That is fine with me and I can see why you would feel different, but we both will have to live with the result.

If in a year or two, he lives up to the potential will you change your tune?? If in a year or two (from now) he ends up being a bust, then I will agree whole heartedly with you. :)If he turns out to be a great DT, then I'll probably eat crow on disliking the pick. But if it takes four years, and he gets good just in time to sign a fat new contract, I'll probably still be pissed.

You could argue that I'm basing my opinion off of info provided by hindsight, but my point is simply that it was fairly clear that he would be a project all along. I don't like the idea of drafting a project, with our first pick of the draft. Even if he turns out great, we wasted a roster spot and cap space on a guy for however many years it took him to develop.

LiL stumppy
06-15-2005, 02:26 PM

Dalton did fairly well last year didn't he?

Rain Man
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
I am still looking for someone to tell me what's wrong with Siavii's knee. Anyone know?

First I've heard of it. That's a worrisome surprise.