PDA

View Full Version : Question for fitness trainers/gym experts??

laser1972
06-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Lately i have been going back to the gym, last year i developed diabetes, i have to take a pill to help break down the sugar in my blood etc..

Right now, i am about 150lbs and 5'8. I lost about 15 lbs when i first got the disease..

my question is: Is there something that is safe for me and i can add bulk??.. Like creatine or Whey Protein etc.. I cant drink those mass adding shakes b/c of the milk content and of course SUGAR....

Thanks for any help.. Would like to add the 10-15 lbs of muscle back if possible... I workout 4-5 times a week, but seem to be toning myself up even more and not adding any weight..

Rausch
06-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Load up on the protien and bust your azz.

Simplex3
06-15-2005, 11:57 PM
I'd run any supplimentation past your doctor first. Most of them work by jacking with your body chemistry which is NOT what you want.

As for adding mass, change your routine. I've seen lots of guys platteu and they'll blow wads of cash on pills, powders, bars and drinks, but they won't do what's free and works more often than not: change that routine. Especially if you've been doing the same routine for a long time.

I'd have to see your workout to make any suggestions, but my guess is you're probably hitting the same muscle groups too often and/or doing too many reps with not enough weight.

Negative reps always tore me up, but you have to have a buddy. Basically you pick a weight that you can do 4-5 reps with, then your buddy/spotter helps you as little as they can to get it back up so you can do 8-10 reps. The principle being that you can manage more weight on the negative side of the lift and various theories exist that claim that's the muscle building side. I personally think it works because it takes you past exaustion.

trndobrd
06-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Lately i have been going back to the gym, last year i developed diabetes, i have to take a pill to help break down the sugar in my blood etc..

Right now, i am about 150lbs and 5'8. I lost about 15 lbs when i first got the disease..

my question is: Is there something that is safe for me and i can add bulk??.. Like creatine or Whey Protein etc.. I cant drink those mass adding shakes b/c of the milk content and of course SUGAR....

Thanks for any help.. Would like to add the 10-15 lbs of muscle back if possible... I workout 4-5 times a week, but seem to be toning myself up even more and not adding any weight..

You should really ask your doctor about the creatine and protein shakes and possible interactions with your medications. The creatine I use has a lot of sugar mixed in, so you'll have to watch that.

Otherwise, you should be getting around 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for every lb of body weight, so you would want somewhere between 150-225 grams of protein a day. Baked fish, chicken, egg whites, and beans are all great sources of protein that shouldn't cause any problems w/ you diabetes.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Just eat lots of protein, take vitamins, train hard. Also, eat a lot, if you're wanting to gain weight, but eat right, at the same time working out and training hard with a good mix of cardio. Do what your body responds to, as far as the workout goes, but wait for the results, good or bad, and go from there. Try different work outs, etc. You don't need creatine. I got buff without that stuff or any other "enhancing" drink or drugs.

I'm in the best shape of my life, actually. I've always been in good shape but it's even moreso now because I just keep doing it, and I eat better. A lot of people start out, get into good shape, then stop. That's when a dropoff takes place. Keep at it. It's amazing what your body will do and look like if you treat it right, like it's your temple.

Simplex3
06-16-2005, 12:18 AM
Ed polishes his temple daily. His right forearm is ripped.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Ed polishes his temple daily. His right forearm is ripped.

ROFL

Shush! You will give away my secret to success!!

Simplex3
06-16-2005, 12:29 AM
ROFL

Shush! You will give away my secret to success!!
Remind me again what your cure for tennis elbow was.

:whackit:

Chiefs Pantalones
06-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Remind me again what your cure for tennis elbow was.

:whackit:

ice it, no activity for 24hrs.

JohnnyV13
06-16-2005, 01:37 AM
I use creatine and I think its very effective. Since I got on the creatine I have been in a two week phase where I'm improving every workout.

I am about the same size as laser...i'm 5'7 and 153, and only recently got back in the gym the last 6 weeks. My goal is ultimately to gain back the 20 pounds of bulk that i've lost since i was 22...but first of all i want to get rid of the gut. So my approach has been to try to hold my weight steady and force my body to convert fat to muscle.

I am also doing fat burning cardio routines and taking L carnitine and Alpha lipoic acid....to help fat burning efficiency.

LIke others have mentioned many creatine powders include sugar to "force" the creatine into your muscles. You would want pure creatine monohydrate powder. I also use ribose stacked with the creatine.

Now, creatine works by increasing your ability to recycle energy carrier molecules, so you can work harder and longer. Creatine is USELESS if you don't push your routine harder. THere are, however, some people who naturally store a lot of creatine in their muscles and those people do not respond to creatine supplementation.

There is, however, a major downside to heavy weight training. A number of studies show that heavy training also compromises the immune system. The gym is also a high bacteria environment. Hence, someone who starts on a heavy lifting routine like the type of workouts a guy wanting to add bulk needs to do, is especially vulnerable to gettting sick. A nasty flu will KILL your training momentum.

To combat this, I supplement immune system limiting factors L Lysine L arginine L gluatamine, zinc and folic acid. And i wipe down every machine i'm on with a towel which i put disinfectant on (okay, it may seem anal, but nine weeks ago when i was first back in the gym i caught a bad flu, and i didn't work out for 3 weeks and basically had to start over).

There is also some research that shows that L glutamine tends to protect your muscles from breakdown so that your body needing amino acids and energy to repair the muscle tissues you've insulted by your workout, don't break down other muscle tissue to get it. ( A problem I am prone to have by trying to hold weight steady).

Further, L glutamine, L Lysine and L arginine have been shown to jack up HgH levels. There is, however, a couple of studies that show these amino acids do not increase HgH levels for people who are doing intense resistance training (basically because resistance training stimulates max HgH production and you won't get any bump from amino acid supplements).

NOw, the problem with "asking your doctor" about body building supplements and how they interact with a condition like diabetes is that he likely doesn't know.

For example, creatine is one of the best studied supplements out there and has been shown to have no known side affects. The problem is that the longest study has been two months and there are NO long term studies on the side affects. Given that there isn't even a study on the long term affect....how likely do you think it is that there is a creatine/diabetes interaction study?

Given those risks, it IS probably best to be VERY conservative with supplements when you have diabetes.

Heavy dietary protien shouldn't be a problem, however, since its not unusual for people in modern western culture to have a high protien diet, so those dietary risks are known.

Anyong Bluth
06-16-2005, 03:45 AM
any truth to this "cortisol" hormone and it causing you to retain weight around your midsection... if so... anything really work at blocking it!?? I can't seem to drop that last lb or two to really give my abs greater definition...

UKMike
06-16-2005, 04:03 AM

Alot of the mass adding shakes can be taken with water, I dont know what the sugar contents are like though.

So my approach has been to try to hold my weight steady and force my body to convert fat to muscle.

Im pretty sure fat turning to muscle is a myth.

Rausch
06-16-2005, 04:04 AM
any truth to this "cortisol" hormone and it causing you to retain weight around your midsection... if so... anything really work at blocking it!?? I can't seem to drop that last lb or two to really give my abs greater definition...

It's bull$#it.

Through proper diet and exercise you can pretty much manage the production of most hormones (unless you have a specific ailment that wouldn't allow it.)

I still have yet to find any diet that works as good as happiness...

keg in kc
06-16-2005, 04:36 AM
I still have yet to find any diet that works as good as happiness...I'm still looking for a pill for that.

Rausch
06-16-2005, 04:37 AM
I'm still looking for a pill for that.

Found it...

keg in kc
06-16-2005, 04:39 AM
Found it...Is it as good as an asian hooker and a gag?

B_Ambuehl
06-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Laser you need to eat more food...it's as simple as that. You're already taking one of the most powerful muscle building compounds there is (insulin). The only thing stronger then that you could add are steroids. Exercise by itself should lower your insulin requirements significantly so keep that in mind. As for other supplements, 99% of them are a waste of time and money. Protein is not really a supplement it's a food. Creatine works will put some intracellular water weight on you and make you slightly stronger but that weight will disappear completely as soon as you stop taking it. Best thing to do is just eat.

laser1972
06-16-2005, 02:47 PM
I am not taking insulin (thank god), just a pill that helps break down the sugar in the blood.. Metaformin or something.. Kinda hard to force yourself to eat more than you are used too..

Kinda like telling a fat person to NOT eat

Braincase
06-16-2005, 02:52 PM
http://www.crab.rutgers.edu/~alroche/3beefcake.gif

BIG_DADDY
06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
First thing I would look at is your workout.

ChiefsOne
06-16-2005, 02:59 PM
JohnnyV13 So my approach has been to try to hold my weight steady and force my body to convert fat to muscle.

FYI: Fat does NOT convert to muscle nor vise versa. If your body weight is 153 at 5'7 you probably don't have that much fat anyway.

ChiefsOne
06-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Laser, maybe you doc should give you some insulin to put some weight/bulk on. Eat more and more, and do 4-6 reps as heavy as possible and that should help.

tyton75
06-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't try to take shortcuts by using some crap that you don't know what it has in it or what it will do to your body..

eat a lot of protein and a fair number of carbs...

if you are working out, you are going to be burning more calories, so you'll have to eat more than you do now if you want to add bulk..

lift weight that is heavy for you.. where you can barely do, say, 10 before you have to put it down.. then let the muscle rest.. then do as many as you can, maybe 8 the next time and then 6 the next set... if you pyramid like that, you will put on bulk if you stick with it

tyton75
06-16-2005, 03:17 PM
by the way.. couple guys on here 5'7" 150 some pounds??

I take bigger craps than that!

JohnnyV13
06-16-2005, 03:17 PM
JohnnyV13

FYI: Fat does NOT convert to muscle nor vise versa. If your body weight is 153 at 5'7 you probably don't have that much fat anyway.

Yeah, I've taken biochemistry and I know that the body breaks down stored fat into energy and that when short of energy the body will break down muscle tissue for energy. Neither is converted into the other directly.

Ok...slopply term. Maybe its more accurate to say that I'm trying to force my body to retain the same mass so that I am composed of less fat and more lean muscle tissue. The bottom line is i'm not doing the normal bodybuilder approach by eating a ton and not worrying so much about fat to make sure my muscles are flush with building materials, then going through a "cut" phase later.

BTw..I do have love handles which piss me off, so that's what I'm trying eliminate.

JohnnyV13
06-16-2005, 03:34 PM
by the way.. couple guys on here 5'7" 150 some pounds??

I take bigger craps than that!

Sigh..I know...it sucks.

My dad is from the Phillipine Islands so I really have munchkin genes. Hence that's why I'm eternally trying to gain size and if i'm not religiously in the gym I lose weight.