PDA

View Full Version : Translation fees...

Pants
06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Anybody here have any experience with translating business documents? I guess I got recruited to translate something, but I have no idea how much to charge. Any help would be appreciated.

Braincase
06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Anybody here have any experience with translating business documents? I guess I got recruited to translate something, but I have no idea how much to charge. Any help would be appreciated.

Watch out charging by the page. That's when things go to 7 point type and single-spacing between the lines.

I get $3.00 a page for technical editing.

Pants
06-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Watch out charging by the page. That's when things go to 7 point type and single-spacing between the lines.

I get $3.00 a page for technical editing.

Hmm, thanks. This is my first gig at this type of shit. Should I make it cheaper since he's my countryman? I was also thinking charging per word... I really have no idea how to go about this.

Cochise
06-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Hmm, thanks. This is my first gig at this type of shit. Should I make it cheaper since he's my countryman? I was also thinking charging per word... I really have no idea how to go about this.

Where are you from? When are you going back?

:)

Braincase
06-16-2005, 01:31 PM

12 point, Double-spaced, more work for translation than editing. No discounts. I'd get into it for $10.00 a page, $12.00 is there were legal entanglements. That's to get going. After that, I'd be looking around the internet to see what somebody else charges.

Pants
06-16-2005, 01:31 PM

I'm from Zimbabwe, going back as soon as your government finds out I'm here.

Saulbadguy
06-16-2005, 01:32 PM
All I know is "pizda" or whatever.

Pants
06-16-2005, 01:32 PM
12 point, Double-spaced, more work for translation than editing. No discounts. I'd get into it for $10.00 a page, $12.00 is there were legal entanglements. That's to get going. After that, I'd be looking around the internet to see what somebody else charges.

He just called me and apparently it's just 4 really short documents.

chagrin
06-16-2005, 01:36 PM

ROFL

chagrin
06-16-2005, 01:38 PM
"Hmm, thanks. This is my first gig at this type of shit. Should I make it cheaper since he's my countryman?"

there's an old saying in Sales:

If you can't F*ck your Friends and Countrymen, who can you F*ck?

Charge him accordingly

Rain Man
06-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Commercial translation companies charge by the word, and they're enormously expensive - something like 10 or 12 cents a word if I remember right.

I've used a guy in the past on a casual basis who will transcribe a thirty-page document from a videotape for about $500 or $600. That's more expensive than normal because of the videotape part, though.

Hydrae
06-16-2005, 01:56 PM
I just spoke with a friend who does this kind of work for a living. She said that it depends on the language but the normal would be $.06 - $.12 per word. If it is pretty technical, it might get to $.15 per word. Be sure to recognize that this includes little one letter words along with the more difficult words.

Pants
06-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks a lot for the help everybody.

KC Kings
06-16-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm from Zimbabwe, going back as soon as your government finds out I'm here.

I didn't know that! Let me know your rates, because I have some Nigerian docuements I need translated.

Apparantly I had some really rich millionare Unlce that lived in Nigeria, and he was killed in a car accident. Even though my parents and all of their siblings are alive, I ended up being the next of kin. All I have to do is give this guy my bank account number, promise to give him $20,000 in processing fee's, and he is going to transfer $120 million dollars US into my bank account. It's almost too good to be true.

Pants
06-16-2005, 03:56 PM
I didn't know that! Let me know your rates, because I have some Nigerian docuements I need translated.

Apparantly I had some really rich millionare Unlce that lived in Nigeria, and he was killed in a car accident. Even though my parents and all of their siblings are alive, I ended up being the next of kin. All I have to do is give this guy my bank account number, promise to give him $20,000 in processing fee's, and he is going to transfer $120 million dollars US into my bank account. It's almost too good to be true.

Hahah, yeah, almost. And sure, I could help you, you'll just have to give me your bank account number to confirm that you won't scam me.

foxman
06-16-2005, 03:58 PM
I always get lost in translation myslef.