PDA

View Full Version : Rod Gardner

dtrain
06-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Redskins | Gardner Told: No need to be There
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:04:40 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, reports the Washington Redskins and WR Rod Gardner have mutually decided it is OK if he does not attend this weekend's minicamp. Given that his four-year tenure in Washington has all but ended, the team essentially excused Gardner from all offseason activities. His absence at the upcoming minicamp further suggests his pending departure from the team. By releasing Gardner, the Redskins will recoup $2.096 million in cap space, the full amount of his scheduled 2005 base salary.

I know some of you around here wanted him still want him even though Hakim is signed?

TRR
06-16-2005, 09:32 PM
I'd rather have Hakim. The Redskins won't be releasing Gardner for awhile. It would take Gardner awhile to adjust to this offense. Hakim can step in immediately.

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2005, 11:34 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat. The Chiefs only have 2 proven receivers on the roster in Kennison & Hakim. Parker has potential, as do Smith, Bo, Thorpe, etc. None has caught more than 20 passes a season.

Many people believe the "Window" is closing for this offense, so any additional proven firepower can only help.

Dane

Mile High Mania
06-17-2005, 05:51 AM
I think Gardner has potential - therefore I wouldn't like to see him go to KC. I would think he could bring something to a team like the Titans, possibly even the Ravens.

A decent veteran that has played on the Deadskins, so I'm not going to hold him fully accountable for having mediocre numbers.

chagrin
06-17-2005, 06:46 AM
"A decent veteran that has played on the Deadskins, so I'm not going to hold him fully accountable for having mediocre numbers."

Dean on, I was tyring to make that point a few weeks ago, nobody agreed with me. The guy has tremendous potential and has already shown he can do the job. Granted TRR has a good point, it would take him a while to learn, it's not like Washington was running a complex scheme or anything up there.

chagrin
06-17-2005, 06:47 AM
P.S. "F" the titans and "F" the Ravens! :p

jspchief
06-17-2005, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure it matters if we want him or not. Unless he signs for the league minimum (highly unlikely), I don't think KC would consider him. I also think we have to be about maxed out on the cap. We've inked a lot of pricey contracts this off-season, at some point the well has to run dry.

Thig Lyfe
06-17-2005, 07:00 AM
If we can, I would get him. He could be a solid #1. On the other hand, I don't want to stunt Samie Parker's growth, because I think he has a ton of potential.

Mr. Kotter
06-17-2005, 07:20 AM
With Hakim on board, no......he and Parker, and the rest need to battle it out now.

ct
06-17-2005, 07:28 AM
I would sign him if he's willing to go cheap year1. This guy is very young, so it may not be too hard to convince him to defer a good salary and roster bonus to next year. Bring him in to compete with Kennison, leaving Parker and Hakim on the other side. Only downside I see is leaving our ST perhaps a bit thin, because whomever he bumps off the roster will most likely be a STer.

However, agree w/ MHM, Tennessee is a very good spot for him, although they are hurting cap wise as well.