PDA

View Full Version : Mmaddog's Trip Thread- this time.....New Orleans

Mosbonian
06-17-2005, 01:11 AM
Well, it's time for another travel commentary by yours truly as I rack up the Frequent Flyer miles in a year i was supposed to be home more often. My destination? Of course, those in charge of planning the convention decided that our trip to Phoenix last year wasn't hot enough in June, so they decided to tempt fate and send us to New Orleans where we could face not only high temps, but also see if we could become "hurricane magnets".

Luckily for me, I was able to get a room in the Hilton Riverside, right near the Convention Center, so my walk to the meetings was only a short trip in the burning sun in Business clothes. I must admit that the Hilton was nice, but nothing spectacular. It was what you would expect from a Hilton hotel...nice, but nothing outstanding.

The other Manager of the Department and myself got there Saturday evening around 8 PM....I got checked into my hotel and decided to see what life was like on Bourbon Street on a Saturday night...and we were not disappointed! There were tons of ladies wearing what barely passed for clothing, all mixing the desire to collect beads with the desire to see how many hurricanes they could down and stay upright. Of course there was plenty of flashing, but not as much as the "Girls Gone Wild' videos would have you believe. We wandered around for a while taking in the sights, sounds, and smells (ugh!!) and decided on a little cafe near a plaza area where the Tarot Card & Palm readers gathered. There I had my first taste of alligator....not bad, but nothing I would fix at home.

After filling our bellies, we wandered slowly back thru the Bourbon Street crowds...taking in all the sights (ahem) and my buddy stopping for his 2nd hurricane. Deciding we had enough for one night, we headed back to the hotel.

Mosbonian
06-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Sunday was a different story.....we attended the first group of meeting which happened in the afternoon, then change into shorts and t-shirts to head back out to sample more of the local cuisine....we ended up at the French Market Basket Cafe on Decatur and tried to get one of the tables on the balcony, but they were all reserved. After appetizers of Cajun Fried Shrimp, I settle in for the Blackened Cajun Chicken on Penne pasta.....and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't all that spicy. Afterward we stopped at Cafe's du Monde for what could only be described as "1 lb of dessert roll, covered by 3 lbs of sugar"....the dessert that Cafe du Monde is famous for. Needless to say I had to walk it all off....

The next night brought a private party at Margaritville that didn't close until 1 AM.....and i was stupid enough to walk back to the hotel 12 or 14 blocks away.....I was lucky!

Tuesday night brought a private dinner at Brennan's....which requires a coat...damn I was hot walking there!!! But boy was that great food!!!! I had to go back to the hotel and change into my workout clothes to get rid of all I ate.

Wednesday night was the closing night party which was held in the Hilton and had a theme on "Mardis Gras Night at the NACM".....talk about the biggest disappointment of the whole trip!! I scooted out early to walk the Riverwalk and catch one last night on Bourbon Street, although I got back a little earlier than planned since I had an early morning flight.

So, there you have it....my trip to New Orleans. For any of the locals or those more familiar with N.O., what all did I miss?

mmaddog

ROYC75
06-17-2005, 09:01 AM
You missed alot, my son lived down there for 3 years and he said he didn't get to see it all.

chagrin
06-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Louisiana Native here:

I know there's a dude on the planet that is a musician and lives there. He knows more than I but I have spent plenty of time there, during Mardi Gras and Not During Mardi Gras. Great Museum there, I saw King Tut and Alexander the Great before.

Doesn't this depend on what you like?
the Aquarium of the America's, Arnaud's (better than Brennan's) a tour and perhaps even a service at the St Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square...The Dungeon Bar, Donna's Bar and Grill Tour of homes on St Charles Ave...how could you not like the French Donuts at the du Monde? I hope you took plenty of Community Coffee home with you.

Well, I could go on, but seems like you had enough fun for a weekend

JimNasium
06-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Louisiana Native here:

I know there's a dude on the planet that is a musician and lives there. He knows more than I but I have spent plenty of time there, during Mardi Gras and Not During Mardi Gras. Great Museum there, I saw King Tut and Alexander the Great before.

Doesn't this depend on what you like?
the Aquarium of the America's, Arnaud's (better than Brennan's) a tour and perhaps even a service at the St Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square...The Dungeon Bar, Donna's Bar and Grill Tour of homes on St Charles Ave...how could you not like the French Donuts at the du Monde? I hope you took plenty of Community Coffee home with you.

Well, I could go on, but seems like you had enough fun for a weekend
The Dungeon - got to love a place that doesn't even open until Midnight.

chagrin
06-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Indeed!