PDA

View Full Version : When do you bid on an Ebay item?

Count Zarth
06-17-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm a renowned sniper, but not very good at it. What are your tactics?

jspchief
06-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Depends on how hard the item is to come by.

If it's something that's constantly being offered, I wait until there's 3 seconds left to post a bid. If you miss out, move on to the next auction.

If it's something uncommon, and I really want it, I won't be as risky. I might post my first bid at 30 seconds, and see where other people's proxies take it. In the end, I'll still wait to submit my final bid with less than 5 seconds.

Edubs
06-17-2005, 08:35 AM
http://www.powersnipe.com/

bobbything
06-17-2005, 08:37 AM
I've never lost an Ebay auction. I've probably bought 10-15 things (not much, I know, but I only go there if I can't find what I'm looking for).

I always wait until 5 minutes before the end of the auction.

Dave Lane
06-17-2005, 09:10 AM
auctionchief.com used to make a nice product. last 25 seconds is my rule.

Dave

Count Zarth
06-17-2005, 09:12 AM
SHIT! :banghead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6404848166&rd=1#ShippingPayment

Brock
06-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Ebay's fun to play around with, but I've seen a lot of items go for above retail. I usually end up buying what I want at a sale price from a retailer.

SCTrojan
06-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Last 30 seconds, like everyone else. I'll max out at what I'm willing to give up for the item. Bought a lot of USC national championship memorabilia that way. If I lose, no biggie, there's always something else I want.

If I'm going to be away from a computer and there are no bids yet, I'll bid minimum and see what happens when I get back.

jspchief
06-17-2005, 09:18 AM
SHIT! :banghead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6404848166&rd=1#ShippingPayment That thing went cheap. You should have put in a proxy of $40-45. You need to recognize when it's really a steal, and allow yourself a bit more wiggle room.

MOhillbilly
06-17-2005, 09:19 AM
sometimes i bid on stuff real early just to drive the price up.
for no reason,but to be a dick.

SCTrojan
06-17-2005, 09:26 AM
sometimes i bid on stuff real early just to drive the price up.
for no reason,but to be a dick.
ROFL I do that towards the end because I don't want another bidder to get the item without some sort of competition. I haven't gotten stuck with anything yet.

Count Zarth
06-17-2005, 09:29 AM
ROFL I do that towards the end because I don't want another bidder to get the item without some sort of competition. I haven't gotten stuck with anything yet.

Heh. That's a good way to screw yourself. I had an auction for my video card a few days ago and I used a friend to drive the price up a bit. My friend ended up winning the auction. :rolleyes: ROFL :banghead:

SCTrojan
06-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Heh. That's a good way to screw yourself. I had an auction for my video card a few days ago and I used a friend to drive the price up a bit. My friend ended up winning the auction. :rolleyes: ROFL :banghead:

You definitely have to know when the other guy has bled enough. Erring on the side of jumping early is the best bet.

Adept Havelock
06-17-2005, 10:52 AM
I use bidsniper.com, and usually bid in the last 5-8 seconds. I figure my "win" rate is about 90% or a little higher using this method.

Warning, use of this method can result in receiving whining emails from those that did not win, about not bidding fairly. :)

Valiant
06-17-2005, 11:02 AM
I use bidsniper.com, and usually bid in the last 5-8 seconds. I figure my "win" rate is about 90% or a little higher using this method.

Warning, use of this method can result in receiving whining emails from those that did not win, about not bidding fairly. :)

how do you not bid fairly???

Reaper16
06-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Death to all Bid Snipers. You have no honor, and are a plague upon your family's legacy. Worst of all, Scanlon dissaproves of bid sniping.

Cochise
06-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Last 5 seconds. I was sniped this way once, and have since never lost something I really wanted to win.

Brock
06-17-2005, 11:28 AM

You are a POS.

Count Zarth
06-17-2005, 11:29 AM
You are a POS.

You should alert SCTrojan he is also a POS.

Count Zarth
06-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Death to all Bid Snipers. You have no honor, and are a plague upon your family's legacy. Worst of all, Scanlon dissaproves of bid sniping.

We just want our item. We're cutthroat mother****ers in the digital arena, bitch!

Phobia
06-17-2005, 11:36 AM

That's good to know. Don't ever post something you're selling on ChiefsPlanet again, it will be deleted and your account will be banned. I hope we understand one another.

Phobia
06-17-2005, 11:37 AM

SCTrojan isn't a POS. I've met him, I've chatted with him offline. He's a decent human being.

Count Zarth
06-17-2005, 11:41 AM
SCTrojan isn't a POS. I've met him, I've chatted with him offline. He's a decent human being.

Hey, I'm not the one judging people. Better tell Brock.

Brock

He is, since he admits to ripping people off on ebay.

Count Zarth
That's good to know. Don't ever post something you're selling on ChiefsPlanet again, it will be deleted and your account will be banned. I hope we understand one another.

Sure. I have no desire to rip off any planeteers.

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 11:43 AM

It's no fun unless you can make your opponent whine.

Simplex3
06-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Sniping is useless if you're smart about your bidding. Put in the price you are willing to pay and go away. If you get sniped, who cares? You didn't want to pay that much anyway.

I only buy stuff that I don't need in any time frame from ebay. My 8 port KVM, my nVidia NVS280, a couple of other things. I just place my max bid on the next one to close then check up later. If I won, great. If not I just make that same bid on the next one of its kind.

I also have a $50 max on ebay. I'm not getting stuck by some jerkoff hack not sending it, sending it broke, or sending something else.

Count Zarth
06-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Sniping is useless if you're smart about your bidding. Put in the price you are willing to pay and go away. If you get sniped, who cares? You didn't want to pay that much anyway.

Yeah, but wouldn't you be pissed if someone else got it for a buck more?

Simplex3
06-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Yeah, but wouldn't you be pissed if someone else got it for a buck more?
No, because their max may have been $15 more. I have my top end price. Period. Not a penny more. I put that in and ride it out.

Count Zarth
06-17-2005, 11:59 AM
OWNED!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6538823950

DTLB58
06-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't buy on e-bay anymore, My paypal account was stolen twice and I have heard way to many rip off stories lately about people sending the money and never seeing the item to continue using e-bay even per money order,cash or check just way to much of a hassle to try and recoup payment if the seller doesn't send the item, but it was fun while it lasted.But when I did, I NEVER bid until the last 20-30 seconds. As far as I'm concerned bidding anytime before that all your doing is is running up the price because there are to many people that feel every time they look at the auction they have to see they are the highest bidder. So even if you out bid someone by a dollar two days before the auction is up more than likely someone is going to out bid you and drive the price higher.

If you have a max price your willing to pay for the item you can still wait till the last minute to plug it in.

The only downfall here is if you can't be at the computer when the auction is up. ie. at work or the auction ends at 3am......

PastorMikH
06-18-2005, 04:02 PM
If the item has no bids, I'll put in the low amount just to get the link in my email so I can click open a browser page at anytime. If it already has a bid, I just watch it. I'll usually try to bid with less than 5 seconds on the clock. That way if I am high bidder someone else doesn't have time to bump me and if I am not, I don't have time to put a bid in higher than I decided to bid.

Though as a sellor, I wished people would bid early and often. I have a motorcycle seat on right now and ebay is telling me that 15 people are viewing the page - and there were 12 viewing it all night. I saw this on a gun barrel that I recently sold as well. So I imagine that a lot of people keep a browser window with the item they are interested in open and wait until the final minutes.

Pants
06-18-2005, 04:11 PM
If the item has no bids, I'll put in the low amount just to get the link in my email so I can click open a browser page at anytime. If it already has a bid, I just watch it. I'll usually try to bid with less than 5 seconds on the clock. That way if I am high bidder someone else doesn't have time to bump me and if I am not, I don't have time to put a bid in higher than I decided to bid.

Though as a sellor, I wished people would bid early and often. I have a motorcycle seat on right now and ebay is telling me that 15 people are viewing the page - and there were 12 viewing it all night. I saw this on a gun barrel that I recently sold as well. So I imagine that a lot of people keep a browser window with the item they are interested in open and wait until the final minutes.

I just bookmark all my Ebay links. When I want to check stuff, "open in tabs" is a damn useful Firefox feature.

PastorMikH
06-18-2005, 04:16 PM
I just bookmark all my Ebay links. When I want to check stuff, "open in tabs" is a damn useful Firefox feature.

The other Thing with throwing that opening bid up is it keeps the seller from pulling his item before the auction is over - and I've had that happen before too.

mlyonsd
06-18-2005, 04:24 PM
The other Thing with throwing that opening bid up is it keeps the seller from pulling his item before the auction is over - and I've had that happen before too.

Interesting. I didn't realize they could do that.

What a timely thread. I got burned just this afternoon. I waited until 2 minutes left and put in my max bid on an item. It was at $213 and the last bid was 5 days ago. I put $305 on it figuring if someone tried to cherry pick it my bid was high enough and there wasn't enough time left for them to steal it. Well, the guy that I outbid was watching and evidently wanted it more then me. He got it for $310.

:banghead:

Pants
06-18-2005, 04:26 PM
2 mins is too soon. I always go one minute.

mlyonsd
06-18-2005, 04:27 PM
2 mins is too soon. I always go one minute.

You're probably one of those "rich guys" that doesn't have 56k dial up anymore. :)

PastorMikH
06-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Here's an ebay question for you all...

I currently have a motorcycle seat up for sale on ebay. I have had 4 people from outside the US try to get me to sell and ship to them - 2 have tried to get me to ship to unconfirmed addresses here in the states.

Why are they so persistent?

My gut tells me that they are trying to pull some scams. When I was perusing laptops, I noticed these questions a lot and that there were replies stating that they weren't buying into the tricks.

Thoughts?

Brock
06-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Here's an ebay question for you all...

I currently have a motorcycle seat up for sale on ebay. I have had 4 people from outside the US try to get me to sell and ship to them - 2 have tried to get me to ship to unconfirmed addresses here in the states.

Why are they so persistent?

My gut tells me that they are trying to pull some scams. When I was perusing laptops, I noticed these questions a lot and that there were replies stating that they weren't buying into the tricks.

Thoughts?

I dunno. Get the money first.

PastorMikH
06-20-2005, 08:21 AM
I dunno. Get the money first.

From what I read on the other auctions and have gotten in questions about mine, they seem waaaayyy to eager to use paypal.

Gaz
06-20-2005, 08:35 AM
My eBay strategy is this:

1. Determine how much I would pay for an item at the flea market.
2. Subtract the shipping charges from the flea market total.
3. Bid that net amount.
4. Wait for the YOU WON/YOU LOST email to arrive.

I know how much I am willing to pay and I bid exactly that much for the item and shipping. And I bid as soon as I decide that I want the item.

I have made more purchases of used items on half.com or amazon.com.

xoxo~
Gaz
eBay dilettante.

Skip Towne
06-20-2005, 08:36 AM
I think he's bluffing, Gochiefs. Go for it!

PastorMikH
06-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Another interesting tidbit I just realized regarding the internationals wanting to bid - 3 of the emails I have gotten are from Svien, Svien, and Sven. Hotmail accounts to boot.

:hmmm: