PDA

View Full Version : Alternate plan for those who don't want to attend Chiefs mini-camp on Sat.

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Mount Sterling prepares for testicle festival
By Rick Pierce
Of the Post-Dispatch
06/16/2005

Euphemisms abound for the, uh, delicacy that will be the focus of a festival Saturday in Mount Sterling, Ill., about 90 miles north of St. Louis.

Kevin Huston, who owns the Sportsman's Club bar, which is hosting the festival, has heard 'em all: cowboy caviar, swinging beef, mountain oysters, lamb fries. But folks in Mount Sterling (population 2,077) don't mince words, so the festival is known simply as the Sportsman's Club Testicle Festival.

"They're not really like chicken or a beef steak," Huston says. "They're in a class of their own."

The festival, which will feature beef, pork, lamb and turkey testicles, even has a motto: "Come one, come all, let's have a ball." The festival gets under way at 1 p.m. and runs until about midnight. Besides the feature food, there is a motorcycle show at 2:30 p.m., a drag queen contest at 5 p.m., kids' games and live music. Proceeds will go to several charitable causes.

Other similar festivals exist. For example, Byron, Ill., located near Rockford, has its annual turkey testicle festival in October.

Huston purchased the Sportsman's Club last year and decided to expand the festival into the street outside. A banner was hung across U.S. Highway 24 proclaiming the "Sportsman's Club Testicle Festival."

The banner split the town into two camps. Several churches started petition drives. Eventually the banner was taken down. Of course, the controversy brought with it plenty of snickers and quite a bit of media coverage.

The Rev. Matt Martin, pastor of Cornerstone Christian Church in Mount Sterling, said his church didn't object to the festival itself.

"We just didn't feel like we wanted a word like that floating along Main Street," he says.

The little festival, which used to draw 100 or so people to the bar, ballooned to 2,000 or so people. They wolfed down the testicle cache. The bar even ran out of beer.

This year, Huston has doubled up on food and booze. A banner has been hung on a nearby building but not across the highway.

Mayor Jim Jennings supports the festival, even if he isn't a fan of testicular consumption. Jennings, a jack-of-all-trades who owns a bucket truck, didn't have a problem with the banner last year. In fact, he hung it.

"To me it's a medical term," Jennings says.

He also plays drums and sings in a band, Madd Hoss Jackson, that will play at the festival.

Huston says there is a certain "dare factor" in eating testicles. Mary Beeder, a bartender at the Sportsman's Club, says simply that they're tasty.

"You bread 'em and deep fry 'em, and they're good," she says.

Reporter Rick Pierce
E-mail: rpierce@post-dispatch.com
Phone: 618-659-3628

:spock:

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 10:37 AM
"Come one, come all, let's have a ball."

ROFL

Saulbadguy
06-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Never tried em.

I tell people around here (Kansas) that I eat sushi and they grimace. "eww..how can you eat raw fish?!" I then ask them how they can eat bull testicles. "Der guud!"

Phobia
06-17-2005, 10:38 AM
I think Beer Me is involved in the drag queen contest somehow. Seriously.

mlyonsd
06-17-2005, 10:40 AM
"testicile festival"? I guess I was thinking that's something Bronco fans participated in.

Turns out its just a nut fry.

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Ummm.....I can't make it.