PDA

View Full Version : Did Az pull a Marcus Spears?

The Bad Guy
06-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Apparently Warpaint Illustrated is saying he did.

And what is strange is that his Q/A are off KCChiefs.com and he's no longer on the roster.

Apparently, from WPI, Hakim and Vermeil had a talk, and VERMEIL told him it might be better for him to play for the Saints.

What kind of half-assed logic is this? He can improve our team and he's telling people to play elsewhere?

Oh well, this should be interesting.

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Vermeil seemed pretty apathetic about him in interviews, too. I thought it was uncharacteristic behavior for him.

Ari Chi3fs
06-17-2005, 12:03 PM
To be or not to be a Chief. wtf is this rubbish?

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 12:05 PM
His interviews and roster note may be gone, but the official signing announcement (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/06/15/kansas_city_agrees_to_terms_with_free_agent_wr_azzahir_hakim/) is not.

:shrug:

siberian khatru
06-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Vermeil decided he'd rather have Rod Gardner.

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Vermeil decided he'd rather have Rod Gardner.Thanks. There goes my appetite. So much for lunch.

RedThat
06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Apparently Warpaint Illustrated is saying he did.

And what is strange is that his Q/A are off KCChiefs.com and he's no longer on the roster.

Apparently, from WPI, Hakim and Vermeil had a talk, and VERMEIL told him it might be better for him to play for the Saints.

What kind of half-assed logic is this? He can improve our team and he's telling people to play elsewhere?

Oh well, this should be interesting.

I don't get it
:shake:

Saulbadguy
06-17-2005, 12:08 PM
kim Headed to Saints
Hakim backed out of his deal with the Chiefs.

By Nick Athan Publisher
Date: Jun 17, 2005

Warpaint Illustrated has learned that wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim has decided to sign a contract with the New Orleans Saints. The deal could be announced as soon as today.

Late this morning Warpaint Illustrated was tipped off that the deal went south. According to our source, Hakim briskly left town and indicated that he would not be coming to Kansas City after contract talks failed to yield a long term deal that he had hoped to get from the Chiefs.

Apparently Hakim and his agent hit a snag in those understood contract talks. Both Hakim and his agent left town after the talks broke off with the Chiefs. His agent Bruce Tolner quickly called the Saints and they remained interested in acquiring the former Detroit Lions receiver.

This was an unusual change of heart for Hakim who professed his love for the Chiefs organization and Head Coach Dick Vermeil. He clearly wanted to play for them two days ago.

But in the NFL money talks and the two sides could not reach an agreement on the terms of the contract.

Though Hakim was not expected to be a starter; the team is looking for a veteran receiver to compete for the #3 position.

According to our source at Arrowhead, the decision for Hakim to sign with the Saints was the direct result of a conversation between Hakim and Vermeil. Both felt that the Saints would give him a better long term situation then playing just one-year in Kansas City with no guarantees of a long term contract. After that conversation, the Chiefs and Hakim agreed to part ways mutually.

With this development, Kansas City might turn its attention back to former Eagles wide receiver Freddie Mitchell or the Seahwaks Koren Robinson.

Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated for more news from training camp on this developing story.

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 12:09 PM
If that's really the case, then it's an extremely unusual event in that we virtually never announce a signing without a finished contract.

siberian khatru
06-17-2005, 12:10 PM
JFC

Cochise
06-17-2005, 12:12 PM
This has been reported on 610.

RedThat
06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
kim Headed to Saints

By Nick Athan Publisher
Date: Jun 17, 2005

Warpaint Illustrated has learned that wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim has decided to sign a contract with the New Orleans Saints. The deal could be announced as soon as today.

Late this morning Warpaint Illustrated was tipped off that the deal went south. According to our source, Hakim briskly left town and indicated that he would not be coming to Kansas City after contract talks failed to yield a long term deal that he had hoped to get from the Chiefs.

Apparently Hakim and his agent hit a snag in those understood contract talks. Both Hakim and his agent left town after the talks broke off with the Chiefs. His agent Bruce Tolner quickly called the Saints and they remained interested in acquiring the former Detroit Lions receiver.

This was an unusual change of heart for Hakim who professed his love for the Chiefs organization and Head Coach Dick Vermeil. He clearly wanted to play for them two days ago.

But in the NFL money talks and the two sides could not reach an agreement on the terms of the contract.

Though Hakim was not expected to be a starter; the team is looking for a veteran receiver to compete for the #3 position.

According to our source at Arrowhead, the decision for Hakim to sign with the Saints was the direct result of a conversation between Hakim and Vermeil. Both felt that the Saints would give him a better long term situation then playing just one-year in Kansas City with no guarantees of a long term contract. After that conversation, the Chiefs and Hakim agreed to part ways mutually.

With this development, Kansas City might turn its attention back to former Eagles wide receiver Freddie Mitchell or the Seahwaks Koren Robinson.

Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated for more news from training camp on this developing story.

I'm not buying this at all. Anyone have a more creditable source? Why doesn't Athan ever quote in on what the coaches say? I'd like to hear from the coaches themselves to verify that this is true. Most of the articles he writes NEVER quote in on what the coaches or management have to say. Which leads me that this is false information.

Cochise
06-17-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm not buying this at all. Anyone have a more creditable source? Why doesn't Athan ever quote in on what the coaches say? I'd like to hear from the coaches themselves to verify that this is true. Most of the articles he writes NEVER quote in on what the coaches or management have to say. Which leads me that this is false information.

From what I have noticed, his articles breaking the story are usually up soon after the story is reported on local radio.

Reaper16
06-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Athan's still pissed that we didn't draft Erasmus Jones.

The Bad Guy
06-17-2005, 12:17 PM

To be fair, you aren't going to have coaches quotes on breaking news stories.

Normally, if a site breaks something, it has unnamed sources.

The coaches themselves don't verify it until later on. It's not like you can just have access to Dick Vermeil every minute of the day if you are in the media.

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 12:18 PM
I haven't been listening to the radio since 8 am or so, so I haven't heard anything there. Had 810 on for the last 10 minutes, but Petro's in the middle of his 2-minute drill.

Coach
06-17-2005, 12:19 PM
So it's true that he is currently, no longer, a Chief then, eh?

King_Chief_Fan
06-17-2005, 12:20 PM
good effin riddance then......this was a lousy signing imo.
they guy has done what in the last 3 years and plenty of injuries to boot

I was doubting that he would even make this team. Vermeil must have doubted it as well. Good for DV for leveling with this guy and get him on down the road. No one was scared of us having AZbeen Hakim.

RedThat
06-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Hakim and Vermeil had a talk, and VERMEIL told him it might be better for him to play for the Saints.

Bad Guy I shortened your post a bit. I just wanted to get to the main point here, um, if this is true, Vermeil is an idiot. I agree with you, why would he do that? Knowing a guy like Az can help improve his team, and he tells him to play elsewhere? I don't see a sense of logic here. Has the man lost it? Now, this would make me even really angry if Vermeil told him to play for the Denver Broncos or Oakland Raiders.

The Bad Guy
06-17-2005, 12:23 PM
good effin riddance then......this was a lousy signing imo.
they guy has done what in the last 3 years and plenty of injuries to boot

I was doubting that he would even make this team. Vermeil must have doubted it as well. Good for DV for leveling with this guy and get him on down the road. No one was scared of us having AZbeen Hakim.

Yeah, because we have all those other receiver options.

We can rely on the preseason prince Richard Smith, or Broken Boerigter, or heck we can even rely on Crap Thorpe to be our #3.

Yeah, it's a terrible signing to get a guy at a position we are shallow at for the vet min. Just horrible.

I feel more comfortable knowing we have nothing proven past our top receiver Eddie Kennison.

Cochise
06-17-2005, 12:25 PM
I hope we bring in someone else. I'm really not comfortable with BOverated or Crap or 9-catch-Parker lining up as our #2.

siberian khatru
06-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Bad Guy I shortened your post a bit. I just wanted to get to the main point here, um, if this is true, Vermeil is an idiot. I agree with you, why would he do that? Knowing a guy like Az can help improve his team, and he tells him to play elsewhere? I don't see a sense of logic here. Has the man lost it? Now, this would make me even really angry if Vermeil told him to play for the Denver Broncos or Oakland Raiders.

I'm not defending DV here, but perhaps this was his thinking: "Az isn't happy with how the contract is panning out, I don't want some guy who's not focused on the Chiefs, spending the season wishing he were somewhere else. I better talk to him see where his feelings lie. He has uncertainty? Then I recommend he go somewhere else."

Now, you can argue that he should've given Az the hard sell, but that's not DV. He didn't want to lie to Az, and he didn't want to help create a potentially bad situation.

JMO.

the Talking Can
06-17-2005, 12:28 PM
From what I have noticed, his articles breaking the story are usually up soon after the story is reported on local radio.

bingo....allthough, to be fair, sometimes their up waaaaay after the story is reported on local radio....

Soupnazi
06-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Maybe vermeil realized that Az just isn't quite so fast on natural grass.

SNR
06-17-2005, 12:29 PM
I hope we bring in someone else. I'm really not comfortable with BOverated or Crap or 9-catch-Parker lining up as our #2.Never fear! Rich Scanlon is here!

C-Mac
06-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Perhaps Vermeil saw something in the OTA.

el borracho
06-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Whatever. The only exciting thing about signing Hakim was that it meant we for sure were not signing Freddie Mitchell. We should really just stick with developing what we have (Boerigter, Parker, Smith, Crap). Between them we can surely match Morton's production. Kris Wilson will probably catch quite a few this year, too.

C-Mac
06-17-2005, 12:32 PM
He is no where mentioned on KCChiefs.com anymore, so I think its "a fact..jack".

King_Chief_Fan
06-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah, because we have all those other receiver options.

We can rely on the preseason prince Richard Smith, or Broken Boerigter, or heck we can even rely on Crap Thorpe to be our #3.

Yeah, it's a terrible signing to get a guy at a position we are shallow at for the vet min. Just horrible.

I feel more comfortable knowing we have nothing proven past our top receiver Eddie Kennison.

If you feel that strongly about him, maybe he will show up on your fantasy team?

Mr. Laz
06-17-2005, 12:34 PM
i thought the signing had already been done?

guess since it was just a 1 year league minimum that they could of just cut him. :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
06-17-2005, 12:37 PM
He is no where mentioned on KCChiefs.com anymore, so I think its "a fact..jack".

His signing is STILL posted there....

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/06/15/kansas_city_agrees_to_terms_with_free_agent_wr_azzahir_hakim/

Hoover
06-17-2005, 12:39 PM
We need a WR thats good enough to be covered oppisite of Kennison. I'll be fine with Parker, but we need a a guy who is 6' or taller and has OK speed and hands to fall back on.

Brock
06-17-2005, 12:39 PM
wow. weird.

The Bad Guy
06-17-2005, 12:40 PM
If you feel that strongly about him, maybe he will show up on your fantasy team?

Way to miss the point.

The fact is we have 1 receiver who has put together a nice season in the NFL on our roster and about 4-5 players who are unproven.

Az Hakim was horrible as Detroit's #1. But that doesn't mean he couldn't be a decent 3rd receiver here.

It's called insurance. We have Smith, who couldn't perform in the regular season, Boerigter, who hasn't been healthy since the first half of 2003, Thorpe who is unproven, Hill, who never caught a pass in several years as a Titan, and Dante, who should be used only as a return man and in matchup situations.

So please tell me again how signing someone for the vet. min. is a horrible signing when our receiver talent is about as deep as a kiddie pool.

Bootlegged
06-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Way to miss the point.

The fact is we have 1 receiver who has put together a nice season in the NFL on our roster and about 4-5 players who are unproven.

Az Hakim was horrible as Detroit's #1. But that doesn't mean he couldn't be a decent 3rd receiver here.

It's called insurance. We have Smith, who couldn't perform in the regular season, Boerigter, who hasn't been healthy since the first half of 2003, Thorpe who is unproven, Hill, who never caught a pass in several years as a Titan, and Dante, who should be used only as a return man and in matchup situations.

So please tell me again how signing someone for the vet. min. is a horrible signing when our receiver talent is about as deep as a kiddie pool.

Agreed.

Hydrae
Everyone who is surprised by Vermeil talking him into going to the Saints isn't paying attention to this head coach. He has stated many times that he is more worried about these guys as people, not players. I am sure that all Dick said was that we would love to have you here but you may have a better shot at what you are looking for in NO. He treats people as people, not pieces of a team.

whoman69
nothing on the Saints site either

RedThat
06-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Way to miss the point.

Yup I agree with you there. Other than Kennison, we have nobody else that is proven. Although, I am excited about Sammie Parker though.

Mr. Kotter
06-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Personally, I hope Nick is just wrong again... :rolleyes:

One-year vet minimum for a guy who's fast, knows the system, and could step in ahead of all but 2 or maybe 3 of the guys you have....that's a good move. Period.

htismaqe
06-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Personally, I hope Nick is just wrong again... :rolleyes:

One-year vet minimum for a guy who's fast, knows the system, and could step in ahead of all but 2 or maybe 3 of the guys you have....that's a good move. Period.

It seems like everybody is missing the point here, even Frank.

The guy clearly DOES NOT want to sign a 1-year deal, which is WHY Vermeil told him to go ahead and sign with the Saints.

I agree with you, if it's a 1-year vet-minimum deal, we should be pissed that Vermeil talked him out of it. As it is, it appears that Hakim wanted a long-term deal and we're smart for not giving him that.

C-Mac
06-17-2005, 12:57 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/06/15/kansas_city_agrees_to_terms_with_free_agent_wr_azzahir_hakim/

You got me, but the news links on him that were on the front page have definetly been removed.

Cochise
06-17-2005, 01:00 PM

Dude, right in the URL it says AGREED TO TERMS not SIGNED.

KC Kings
06-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Dude, right in the URL it says AGREED TO TERMS not SIGNED.
That story is from 2 days ago. At 6am on Wednesday morning he was not signed.

Per sports radio and channel 5 news, he had officially signed yesterday.
Why that link isn't on KCChiefs.com, I don't know, and it is interesting that all other links have been removed.

Has Warpaint ever been the first to break a story and be correct? I don't keep track of them that much, but it seems their breaking stories have the accuracy of Keitzman's breaking stories.

Logical
06-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Signs/goes really don't care that much.

ILChief
06-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Bring back Fred Ex

Bootlegged
06-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Take it for what it's worth....yes I'm sourcing a poster from another board, but a guy on Chiefscoalition claims to have spoken to WHB and they told him WPI's report is false.

wutamess
06-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Guys... if this is true... it's a belssing in disguise...
Az was always hurt.
He'd only hurt the development of the other young receivers we already have on our roster.
Besides we already have Dante Hall.

I sure hope it's true.

KC Kings
06-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Bring back Fred Ex
Screw Fred X. I would never support a guy that never lived up to his potential when he has had 13 felony counts brought up against in him in 7 years.

I am not saying that people can't change their ways, Kennison wasn't always the lay abiding Christian that he is now, but I don't think it is worth a chance wasting more money on a nother recevier that will never produce for us.

beavis
06-17-2005, 01:11 PM

The guy clearly DOES NOT want to sign a 1-year deal, which is WHY Vermeil told him to go ahead and sign with the Saints.

I agree with you, if it's a 1-year vet-minimum deal, we should be pissed that Vermeil talked him out of it. As it is, it appears that Hakim wanted a long-term deal and we're smart for not giving him that.
Yeah, but why would he "agree to terms" on a 1-year deal if he wasn't prepared to sign it?

If we do find out Vermeil talked him out of it, I'll be pissed.

beavis
06-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Take it for what it's worth....yes I'm sourcing a poster from another board, but a guy on Chiefscoalition claims to have spoken to WHB and they told him WPI's report is false.
I think someone here heard it on 610, take that for what it's worth.

CoMoChief
06-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Never fear! Rich Scanlon is here!

Rich Scanlon is a bitch!!!!

The Bad Guy
06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Guys... if this is true... it's a belssing in disguise...
Az was always hurt.
He'd only hurt the development of the other young receivers we already have on our roster.
Besides we already have Dante Hall.

I sure hope it's true.

How is a guy, who signed for a 1-year deal, going to hurt the development of our other receivers?

Who's development is he going to hurt? It won't be Parker's because he's the starting WR.

Having a vet around for one year, while someone like Crap Thorpe can learn the system, isn't a bad thing no matter how many of you want to spin it as such.

Dante Hall should be our return man and used in special situations on offense. He's not a legit 3rd receiver.

siberian khatru
06-17-2005, 01:20 PM

Post #22. ;)

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 01:21 PM
I hope Rich Scanlon doesn't try something like this.

Brock
06-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Bring back Fred Ex

Why?

ptlyon
I know what really happened - Az heard that Scanlon was coming to town for the OTA's and it scared him off.

I guess I don't blame him.

wildcat09
fug fredx

Cochise
06-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Dante Hall should be our return man and used in special situations on offense. He's not a legit 3rd receiver.

What are you talking about? If Vermeil would just line up Bo and Parker on every down we'd have the most prolific passing attack in the NFL. Everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

MeaTy The Pimp
06-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I don't know how I feel about Az not playing here... I mean it's not like we really depend on our wideouts much anyway...

The Meaty One...

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Vermeil decided he'd rather have Rod Gardner.
So would I.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-17-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't believe this. If it were true, I wouldn't want to believe this. Just our luck if it's true.

If so, I'm on the Koren Robinson train.

Saulbadguy
06-17-2005, 02:02 PM
More employee disloyalty. I wonder how Rain Man feels about this situation?

beavis
06-17-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm on the anybody but Mitchell train.

KC Dan
06-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't believe this. If it were true, I wouldn't want to believe this. Just our luck if it's true.

Just say NO to stone hands Koren!

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-17-2005, 02:04 PM
More employee disloyalty. I wonder how Rain Man feels about this situation?
ouch....

kick him again.

Bootlegged
06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
It's official, he's gone. There were some issues regarding contract language, so it was never signed. He received a contract from New Orleans last night and is en route there today. He's out.

wasi
06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
not sure why i cant cut and paste from this previous thread (Q&A with AZ) but in it he is asked about only signing a one year deal and doesnt seem like its a problem.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=117984

Thig Lyfe
06-17-2005, 02:08 PM

Frazod
06-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Signs/goes really don't care that much.

Same here.

Seemed like it might be an okay move, and I had no problem with it. But overall, I didn't really give a shit before and I don't give a shit now.

See ya.

Frazod
06-17-2005, 02:10 PM
ROFL

Bootlegged
06-17-2005, 02:10 PM
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, HE'S GONE.

There were language issues with his contract, he agreed to terms, but never signed it. New Orleans shot him a contract last night, he's decided to take it and he's gone.

philfree
06-17-2005, 02:11 PM
IMO this mean that Saunders is really comfortable with Parker and the return of Bocephus. If he wasn't he'd have made sure that DV and Carl didn't let him walk. I figured Az would make some big plays for us but I can take him or leave him. So leave him it is. Go Parker!

PhilFree:arrow:

wildcat09
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm on the anybody but Mitchell train.

i am the conductor of that fuggin train. chugga chugga biotch

Wile_E_Coyote
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Gardner is known as 50/50 for his catching ability
Robinson is stonehands
Mitchell
Hakim knew the system, but didn't amount to much in Detroit

maybe they can swing a trade for Kevin Johnson from the Lions

Thig Lyfe
06-17-2005, 02:13 PM
IMO this mean that Saunders is really comfortable with Parker and the return of Bocephus. If he wasn't he'd have made sure that DV and Carl didn't let him walk. I figured Az would make some big plays for us but I can take him or leave him. So leave him it is. Go Parker!

PhilFree:arrow:

Parker has a lot of potential. A LOT!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

MichaelH
06-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Maybe he didn't like being told by Dickie that he'd have to make the team. :hmmm:

Chiefs Pantalones
06-17-2005, 02:16 PM
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, HE'S GONE.

There were language issues with his contract, he agreed to terms, but never signed it. New Orleans shot him a contract last night, he's decided to take it and he's gone.

LOL

Carl to Az's agent...

"Look, I'll give you the vet minimum, but only if he goes over 2,000 yards receiving this year."

Az's agent-- "You're a Fing idiot."

wildcat09
06-17-2005, 02:18 PM
i am pissed. i had visions of az tearing up the frikin field like he did for the lambs. this just sucks.

Lzen
06-17-2005, 02:22 PM

I disagree with that. Hall and Hakim are very similar, IMO. And Hall has had a few impressive games as a WR. I seem to recall a game in Denver in which he caught 10 passes. He's not a legit #1 or probably even #2. But to say he isn't a legit #3 is silly.

Pants
06-17-2005, 02:23 PM
LOL

Carl to Az's agent...

"Look, I'll give you the vet minimum, but only if he goes over 2,000 yards receiving this year."

Hahahahaha.

beer bacon
06-17-2005, 02:27 PM
610 AM reported that it wasn't a contract issue. They said the issuethat caused him to leave was that Hakim wanted to start while KC would not even guarantee a roster spot.

Lzen
06-17-2005, 02:28 PM
LOL

Carl to Az's agent...

:LOL:

Lzen
06-17-2005, 02:29 PM
610 AM reported that it wasn't a contract issue. They said the issuethat caused him to leave was that Hakim wanted to start while KC would not even guarantee a roster spot.

If that truly is the case here, then I'm glad he's gone. :thumb:

beer bacon
06-17-2005, 02:33 PM
If that truly is the case here, then I'm glad he's gone. :thumb:

They said it during the little update blurbs they do. The jackass sports jockies are still talking about Hakim, but they are just talking without much content. Because of this I haven't really got much confirmation from them.

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 02:33 PM

That's funny, because he'll be stuck in N.O. behind Horn, Stallworth, and Devery Henderson.

Here, he just needed to beat out Samie Parker to be the #2.

Rudy lost the toss
06-17-2005, 02:38 PM
That's funny, because he'll be stuck in N.O. behind Horn, Stallworth, and Devery Henderson.

Here, he just needed to beat out Samie Parker to be the #2.
Surely he can beat out Devery Henderson

TRing
06-17-2005, 02:47 PM
So who's it gonna be guys, if anybody. who are we gonna get: Robinson, Gardner, Fred ex, or are we not even gonna get anybody. lets hear it

Chiefnj
06-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Since I've bashed him before, I'll give him credit now - good job by Athon breaking this story.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-17-2005, 02:54 PM
So who's it gonna be guys, if anybody. who are we gonna get: Robinson, Gardner, Fred ex, or are we not even gonna get anybody. lets hear it

the Chiefs have done a pretty good job on offense the last 3 years. I trust they'll be alright what ever they decide

The Bad Guy
06-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I disagree with that. Hall and Hakim are very similar, IMO. And Hall has had a few impressive games as a WR. I seem to recall a game in Denver in which he caught 10 passes. He's not a legit #1 or probably even #2. But to say he isn't a legit #3 is silly.

He's not a legit #3. Just because he caught 10 passes one game 2 years ago doesn't make him a stable #3.

His role on this team is return man to setup the offense. If the Chiefs have to rely on Hall every week as their #3, I think his production in the return game will decline. Look at last year, the beginning of last year, our return game was nothing special because the Chiefs wore him out with all the ways they tried to use him on offense.

His body takes a pounding in the return game, and it will take an even bigger pounding as the #3.

Dante should have a limited offensive role and be fresh to make the impact where he can best, in the return game.

Valiant
06-17-2005, 03:00 PM

With him concentrating more on ST, he is not a legit #3... He even said last year he was always tired and could not run full speed... Hall is great as a situational #3... But he needs to give us another 4 ST tds this year and the awesome starting points for the O...

But if DV did talk a reciever out of playing here then he has gone crazy and needs to let Saunders take over this year...

Miles
06-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Bring back Fred Ex

Yep

http://photos2.flickr.com/3767393_ff072dafcb_m.jpg

TRing
06-17-2005, 03:58 PM
get outta here with the fred ex talk. that go lost me when he called harrison out last year. i mean come that is horrible, i dont want nothing like that coming in and hurting the chemistry that we have here. i think robinson wouldn't be a good choice either. dont get me wrong he is talented (besides stone hands) but he brings along too much baggage

whoman69
06-17-2005, 04:25 PM

reminiscing about all the drops that Johnny had? Robinson has lost focus and is no longer a top receiver. He has streaks where he can't even catch the ball.

Valiant
06-17-2005, 04:25 PM
get outta here with the fred ex talk. that go lost me when he called harrison out last year. i mean come that is horrible, i dont want nothing like that coming in and hurting the chemistry that we have here. i think robinson wouldn't be a good choice either. dont get me wrong he is talented (besides stone hands) but he brings along too much baggage

Man i am horrible with with sentence structure on here, mostly because i do not care... But you, you
even lost me on this... I do not have a clue what you just wrote..

Mr. Laz
06-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Surely he can beat out Devery Henderson

i seriously doubt it ... Devery is an upcoming guy imo

htismaqe
06-17-2005, 04:54 PM

I agree.

Miles
06-17-2005, 05:33 PM

Agreed. That holdout really hurt him last season but its far to early to call him a bust. There actually was a lot of speculation around LSU before last years draft that Henderson would be the better pro of him and Clayton.

milkman
06-17-2005, 07:22 PM
He's not a legit #3. Just because he caught 10 passes one game 2 years ago doesn't make him a stable #3.

His role on this team is return man to setup the offense. If the Chiefs have to rely on Hall every week as their #3, I think his production in the return game will decline. Look at last year, the beginning of last year, our return game was nothing special because the Chiefs wore him out with all the ways they tried to use him on offense.

His body takes a pounding in the return game, and it will take an even bigger pounding as the #3.

Dante should have a limited offensive role and be fresh to make the impact where he can best, in the return game.

If Dante weren't the best returner in the game, he wouldn't even make the roster as the 5th receiver, much less the #3 guy.

He's a gimmick on offense.
He can't get open downfield.

He's had a couple of good games against the Donkeys (good team to have your big games), and made a couple of plays here and there against the rest, but he isn't, in any way, even remotely close to be a solid #3.

craneref
06-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Maybe I am just a conspiracy guy, but the way I look at it, Hakim agrees, The 'Skins make it clear they are going to get rid of Gardener and then Hakim isn't signing with the CHIEFS, could it be that Gardener may be in the CHIEFS sights, I mean they liked him coming ourt of college. Just a theory and of all the theories that I have, this is one of them! :p GO CHIEFS

RINGLEADER
06-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Well, Hakim is going to love getting crushed by LBs as he stretches out everytime a pass sails over his head.

My only concern with the other second/third-tier WRs is that it usually takes them a year to adjust to the offense. That WAS something Az brought to the table that set him apart...

tommykat
06-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Without reading all of this.................maybe DV knew or thought Az would have trouble on real grass....(Not that kind either guys).

unlurking
06-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, Hakim is going to love getting crushed by LBs as he stretches out everytime a pass sails over his head.

My only concern with the other second/third-tier WRs is that it usually takes them a year to adjust to the offense. That WAS something Az brought to the table that set him apart...
True, and that is the only reason bringing him in didn't bother me. Well, that and the one year vet minimum thing. And oh yeah, the fact that he wouldn't be just handed a starting role.

Oh well, at this point, I would rather stand pat than bother bringin any of the other available WRs out there right now.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-17-2005, 09:22 PM
great now we have the jack to sign Law. WOOHOO!

jspchief
06-17-2005, 10:51 PM
If Dante weren't the best returner in the game, he wouldn't even make the roster as the 5th receiver, much less the #3 guy.

He's had a couple of good games against the Donkeys (good team to have your big games), and made a couple of plays here and there against the rest, but he isn't, in any way, even remotely close to be a solid #3.Spot on. I agree with everything in your post.

FRCDFED
06-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Considering the QB carousel in WA I wouldn't scrutinize Gardners stats too much. Not to mention the porous line that failed to give the WR time to come out of their breaks causing the QB to throw too early. WA had a lot of problems. Gardner would be a tall solid #2 receiver IMO!

No to the criminals!
No to the cancers!

Gardner is neither!

htismaqe
06-18-2005, 05:43 AM

He's had a couple of good games against the Donkeys (good team to have your big games), and made a couple of plays here and there against the rest, but he isn't, in any way, even remotely close to be a solid #3.

You know, at this point, Marc Boerigter is the SAME -- a gimmick. We really need to bring in another WR, just for competition.

But if Hakim wanted a guaranteed starting spot and more than a 1-year deal, I'm glad it's not him.

Wallcrawler
06-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Im sure they have something in mind in regard to adding depth at receiver if they let Hakim leave.

Whatever they do, they really need to get another guy in here so that Dante Hall is a returner only.

I think maybe the Chiefs are starting to take those drives that start at around the 40 yard line for granted with as many times as Hall gets it out there. If they screw around and lose him to injury on offense, or wear him out and decrease his effectiveness, it could really hurt the offensive unit as a whole.

I mean, the Chiefs offense is awesome, but its a helluva lot easier to score when you only have to have a 60 yard drive to score, rather than 80+.

Every time I think of Dante on offense, I immediately remember the shot he took from Lynch in the opener, and I instantly recognize how big of a loss to the special teams it would be if he were to get hurt.

I think Parker is going to do well being the starter, just a feeling. But they do need to have another guy in here just in case he doesnt come along as fast as everyone hopes, or if he gets hurt.

BigRedChief
06-18-2005, 07:39 AM
No big loss if you ask me.

TRR
06-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Players go where the money is. DV stated exactly what happened when he said you try and sign someone for the minimum, but it doesn't always work out.

To be honest, I think the same thing happened with Kevin Johnson.

milkman
06-18-2005, 06:31 PM
You know, at this point, Marc Boerigter is the SAME -- a gimmick. We really need to bring in another WR, just for competition.

But if Hakim wanted a guaranteed starting spot and more than a 1-year deal, I'm glad it's not him.

I wouldn't consider Boe a gimmick.

I think he had real potential to become a solid receiver, but between his poor eyesight, that he's since had corrected, and his inability to stay healthy, he's just never developed.

He still has a chance to develop, especially now that Freddie is the guy brought in to compete for the #2 and #3 spots.
I don't believe that Freddie will make the team if Boe starts to realize his potential, unless Freddie starts to realize some of that first round potential himself, which seems unlikely since he's been healthy and playing, and hasn't yet.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Players go where the money is. DV stated exactly what happened when he said you try and sign someone for the minimum, but it doesn't always work out.

To be honest, I think the same thing happened with Kevin Johnson.

I read somewhere that the difference between KC & Detroit was 100 grand. If that was indeed the case, he let greed f-him. Since then the Lions drafted a WR at #10(?) & the Chiefs let Morton go