PDA

View Full Version : Great....Clark Hunt bored with Chiefs, looking into European soccer for excitement...

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 03:11 PM
From today's Tip Sheet from Pastabelly...

Even as his league peers and the finance committee continue to closely eye-ball Tampa Bay owner Malcolm Glazer's purchase of controlling interest in Manchester United, there are hints other owners may someday move into the European soccer market. Clark Hunt, the son of Kansas City owner Lamar Hunt, and now with a higher profile in the operation of the Chiefs, suggested recently that his family is keeping close tabs on the Glazer situation. "We're seeing a globalization of sports, so it will be logical if you see some of our other owners buying into Europe," the younger Hunt told a British radio network. "As we move forward, it's something we will look at. There's definitely a chance. We will follow the story with interest since we follow the sport in Europe and we will keep our eyes on how things go over there." The Hunt family already owns three Major League Soccer franchises in the United States and many credit Lamar Hunt for keeping soccer afloat (to whatever degree) in this country.

:rolleyes:

the Talking Can
06-17-2005, 03:14 PM
yes, clearly expansion equals boredom....

beer bacon
06-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Why is this bad again?

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 03:20 PM
So Lamar is propping up soccer in the US. My opinion of him just went down about 3 notches.

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Why is this bad again?

Have the Chiefs had any championship success since Lamar Hunt got involved with soccer?

How can an owner have a singular goal of winning the Super Bowl when the football team is his third or fourth favorite of all the sports teams he owns?

Hey Lamar/Clark.....if you are so facinated with soccer, sell the f*cking Chiefs to someone whose favorite sport is football.

beer bacon
06-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Have the Chiefs had any championship success since Lamar Hunt got involved with soccer?

How can an owner have a singular goal of winning the Super Bowl when the football team is his third or fourth favorite of all the sports teams he owns?

Hey Lamar/Clark.....if you are so facinated with soccer, sell the f*cking Chiefs to someone whose favorite sport is football.

First Az Hakim leaves for the Saints and now Clark likes soccer. This team is dooOOooOomed.

Rain Man
06-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Wow. I've never seen the words "European soccer" and "excitement" in the same sentence before.

Cochise
06-17-2005, 03:28 PM

haha, it's not Carl or any other reason, the Columbus Crew are the reason why the Chiefs haven't won the super bowl ROFL ROFL

Congratulations, this is the dumbest post I have read in months.

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Wow. I've never seen the words "European soccer" and "excitement" in the same sentence before.

Thus the reasoning behind my sarcastic thead title.

nascher
06-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Old Story from Pasta.

Pants
06-17-2005, 03:32 PM
European/South American soccer > football in terms of fan passion, tradition and excitment.

Baby Lee
06-17-2005, 03:33 PM
The Chiefs haven't had championship success since long before I got involved in soccer, . . . at age 8. . . in the fall of 1979.

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Congratulations, this is the dumbest post I have read in months.

"After having his best season as a Chief, I have to wonder, if Morton sucked as bad as everyone around here says he does, wouldn't he be gone too?"

Cochise, 4/6/05

htismaqe
06-17-2005, 03:38 PM

This is a truly amazing piece of deductive reasoning right here...

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 03:38 PM
The Chiefs haven't had championship success since long before I got involved in soccer, . . . at age 8. . . in the fall of 1979.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Rain Man
06-17-2005, 03:39 PM
European/South American soccer > football in terms of fan passion, tradition and excitment.

I've never been so proud to be an American.

Cochise
06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
"After having his best season as a Chief, I have to wonder, if Morton sucked as bad as everyone around here says he does, wouldn't he be gone too?"

Cochise, 4/6/05

I didn't think they would release a player that they turned out releasing. You think a soccer team is keeping the Chiefs from the super bowl. There's no question who made the dumber statement :rolleyes:

htismaqe
06-17-2005, 03:42 PM
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

That's it. When all else fails, act confused.

His statement is perfectly relevant. It points out the utter absurdity of your "loose" logic -- that Lamar's interest in soccer is somehow responsible for the Chiefs' lack of success.

Cochise
06-17-2005, 03:43 PM

His statement is perfectly relevant. It points out the utter absurdity of your "loose" logic -- that Lamar's interest in soccer is somehow responsible for the Chiefs' lack of success.

Well, you know, all these years the Wizards have been counting against our salary cap.

KCTitus
06-17-2005, 03:44 PM
and all this time I thought it was Carl's fault...now it's that damned MLS!

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 03:44 PM
This is a truly amazing piece of deductive reasoning right here...

Actually, I can't take full credit for that. I still have an article by Gretz from the mid-'80's from a Sporting News Pro Preview where he talks about the changing of the guard between the Chiefs and Broncos in the mid-70's, when the Chiefs started going downhill and the Broncos started getting good, and he partly blames the Chiefs downturn on the fact that Lamar Hunt shifted his focus from the Chiefs to other ventures like the NASL and World Team Tennis.

Cochise
06-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Oh damn, Gretz agreed with him 20 years ago... next thing you know he'll have Rufus Dawes on us ROFL

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Well, you know, all these years the Wizards have been counting against our salary cap.
The really bad part about the Wizards is that they exist.

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Oh damn, Gretz agreed with him 20 years ago... next thing you know he'll have Rufus Dawes on us ROFL

Gretz didn't agree with me. He came up with it.

Cochise
06-17-2005, 03:50 PM
The really bad part about the Wizards is that they exist.

Well, they have won as many titles in ~10 years as the Chiefs have in ~40

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 04:33 PM

If BL was trying to say that his involvement in soccer is as much to blame for the Chiefs lack of championship success as Lamar's involvement in soccer, I'd have to disagree.

It doesn't have to be soccer. I'm just of the belief that if the owner has other interests that are more important to him than the football team, then the team is fighting an uphill battle. Not many Super Bowls have been won by accident.

I'll be interested to see how many more Super Bowls the Bucs win now that Glazer has a new toy.

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 04:35 PM

See.........when Lamar puts his heart into something, he can be successful at it.

mikey23545
06-17-2005, 04:36 PM
I've also noticed the Chiefs haven't won a title since the Patriot Act was passed....Coincidence?...

Baby Lee
06-17-2005, 04:38 PM
The Chiefs haven't won a title since Brittney Spears gave Justin the nappy dugout.

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Yep, I know, winning a Super Bowl (or even getting to one) is all just a crapshoot. The Chiefs have been done in by nothing more than bad luck all these years. It really has nothing to do with ownership, I'm sure.

Valiant
06-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Actually, I can't take full credit for that. I still have an article by Gretz from the mid-'80's from a Sporting News Pro Preview where he talks about the changing of the guard between the Chiefs and Broncos in the mid-70's, when the Chiefs started going downhill and the Broncos started getting good, and he partly blames the Chiefs downturn on the fact that Lamar Hunt shifted his focus from the Chiefs to other ventures like the NASL and World Team Tennis.

So the GM having shitty drafts is not the problem, but a owner that has been hands off since the end of the AFL is??? Then dont count that delaney died, or we had kinney as a QB.. no, it was lamars fault.. oh, dont forget that the broncos did not draft elway in the 80's either while we got blackledge...

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 04:50 PM
So the GM having shitty drafts is not the problem, but a owner that has been hands off since the end of the AFL is??? Then dont count that delaney died, or we had kinney as a QB.. no, it was lamars fault.. oh, dont forget that the broncos did not draft elway in the 80's either while we got blackledge...

And who allowed Steadman to remain as GM for all those shitty drafts?

Valiant
06-17-2005, 04:50 PM
See.........when Lamar puts his heart into something, he can be successful at it.

Yes, because it is not the head coach who recruits the players... It is the owner...

Valiant
06-17-2005, 04:51 PM
And who allowed Steadman to remain as GM for all those shitty drafts?

And who allowed the broncos to draft elway.. dammit lamar....

Oh and with your logic.... Lamar killed Joe Delaney...

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Yes, because it is not the head coach who recruits the players... It is the owner...

Wait, I thought we were talking about MLS, where the owner actually gives the okay to spend the money to sign the players.

htismaqe
06-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Nobody says that ownership isn't at least partially to blame for the lack of Super Bowl success.

It's your lame attempt at somehow tying it into soccer that everybody is laughing at.

Next thing you know you'll be going on about how the moon landing was recorded in a TV studio in Burbank.

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 05:00 PM

:shrug:

So you're saying the Chiefs would've won a Super Bowl had Delaney not died? And I don't know what you're point is about Elway. He was drafted #1 overall, we didn't pass on him. But are you saying that he is the reason we haven't won a championship in the past 35 years?

Valiant
06-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Wait, I thought we were talking about MLS, where the owner actually gives the okay to spend the money to sign the players.

its a salary cap on players.. they all cost the same roughly.. I mean you are talking about something you know right??? There is a minimum and maxium you can pay out to each type of player.. hell the salary for most teams is under 1.5 million dollars for the whole team...

bottom line you are comparing apples to oranges...

Valiant
06-17-2005, 05:06 PM
:shrug:

So you're saying the Chiefs would've won a Super Bowl had Delaney not died? And I don't know what you're point is about Elway. He was drafted #1 overall, we didn't pass on him. But are you saying that he is the reason we haven't won a championship in the past 35 years?

No you are saying the broncos making their upturn and us going down.. You made the comparison... So we are talking 35 years now and not the 80's and forward when we started sucking and the broncos became good(which had nothing to do with elway)...

Would we have won a SB with JOe, no way to tell but we did not have shit after he died until Christian and Ward...

Lamar doing other things is not why the Chiefs have not won.. There are many, many reasons why these teams have failed...

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Nobody says that ownership isn't at least partially to blame for the lack of Super Bowl success.

It's your lame attempt at somehow tying it into soccer that everybody is laughing at.

Next thing you know you'll be going on about how the moon landing was recorded in a TV studio in Burbank.

I'm not tying it solely into soccer. This is what I said...

"It doesn't have to be soccer. I'm just of the belief that if the owner has other interests that are more important to him than the football team, then the team is fighting an uphill battle. Not many Super Bowls have been won by accident."

You disagree with that?

I don't think it's ever a good thing for the owner of my favorite team to be more passionate about something else.

When Gussie Busch died and his son took over ownership of the Cardinals, he didn't care about the team, and it showed. Ever since he sold it to a group of St. Louis baseball fans (who happened to be millionaires) in '96, they've been successful.

When Bill Laurie bought the Blues in 1999, his main priority was to get an NBA team in the Savvis Center. He was a basketball fan above all else, and now I'm happy as hell that he's decided to put the Blues up for sale since his NBA dream is dead. Find someone here who actually likes hockey.

Same with Lamar/Clark. If soccer is such a freakin priority, then sell the Chiefs to someone in KC who is a football fan.

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 05:13 PM
:shrug: Who cares? It's soccer.

Valiant
06-17-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm not tying it solely into soccer. This is what I said...

"It doesn't have to be soccer. I'm just of the belief that if the owner has other interests that are more important to him than the football team, then the team is fighting an uphill battle. Not many Super Bowls have been won by accident."

You disagree with that?

I don't think it's ever a good thing for the owner of my favorite team to be more passionate about something else.

When Gussie Busch died and his son took over ownership of the Cardinals, he didn't care about the team, and it showed. Ever since he sold it to a group of St. Louis baseball fans (who happened to be millionaires) in '96, they've been successful.

When Bill Laurie bought the Blues in 1999, his main priority was to get an NBA team in the Savvis Center. He was a basketball fan above all else, and now I'm happy as hell that he's decided to put the Blues up for sale since his NBA dream is dead. Find someone here who actually likes hockey.

Same with Lamar/Clark. If soccer is such a freakin priority, then sell the Chiefs to someone in KC who is a football fan.

Why hasn't the Redskins owner won it... Hell that is all he cares about.. Agian by your arguement this would be enough for the redskins to win in the last few years...

It does not matter if Lamar is doing other things... He left Peterson to run it...which he has done well, we just really suck in postseason...

Another point to prove you wrong... Glazer of the Bucs won a championship with owning multiple teams, he was distracted but his Football team managed to still win... His players played up to ability and won, not because the owner was there but because the coach, GM, players won it...

Owner gives you the means to succeed(hands on or hands off)... To say we havn't wone a SB because of Lamar likes other sports is stupid at best...

Cochise
06-17-2005, 05:14 PM

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 05:14 PM
No you are saying the broncos making their upturn and us going down.. You made the comparison... So we are talking 35 years now and not the 80's and forward when we started sucking and the broncos became good(which had nothing to do with elway)...

I guess you didn't read the post all the way through. Gretz is the one who wrote the article in the mid '80's about why the Chiefs starting going downhill in 1975 and the Broncos started getting good in 1975. He mentioned that Lamar's focus shifted to other interests (such as soccer), and it was a factor in the team's lack of success.

I tend to agree with that.

Now Clark says he's gonna be eyeing an opportunity to expand his soccer holdings to the European market. What sport is his priority?

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Another point to prove you wrong... Glazer of the Bucs won a championship with owning multiple teams, he was distracted but his Football team managed to still win... His players played up to ability and won, not because the owner was there but because the coach, GM, players won it...

I thought he just purchased ManU? What other teams did he own in 2002?

Rain Man
06-17-2005, 06:39 PM

No fair. Trick question.

tk13
06-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Is it impossible for someone to be interested in more than one sport? I like football and baseball, neither one really takes more priority over the other, and does that really even matter? Now if you want to say Lamar is too loyal or whatever to certain individuals, I think that's a different argument... and may have more to do with who they are as a person as opposed to what sports they're interested in.

Daniel Snyder grew up a Redskins fan, and obviously still is a huge Skins fan even though they haven't done squat under him. Then you look at a team like the Twins that has an owner like Carl Pohlad that wanted his team to be contracted, and yet they still get in the playoffs every year. Being a fan does not always equal success.

stevieray
06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Is it impossible for someone to be interested in more than one sport? I like football and baseball, neither one really takes more priority over the other, and does that really even matter? Now if you want to say Lamar is too loyal or whatever to certain individuals, I think that's a different argument... and may have more to do with who they are as a person as opposed to what sports they're interested in.

Daniel Snyder grew up a Redskins fan, and obviously still is a huge Skins fan even though they haven't done squat under him. Then you look at a team like the Twins that has an owner like Carl Pohlad that wanted his team to be contracted, and yet they still get in the playoffs every year. Being a fan does not always equal success.

clark bought a new suit, he's doesn't care about football.

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 07:53 PM
I can see how the soccer interests could conflict with the best interests of the Chiefs. We didn't spend all of our cap money last year. Vermiel said we were out of money, not cap room. Well, The Chiefs could be the cash cow that supports the shit sports. Gotta keep the Chiefs profitable, not necessarily winning.

go bowe
06-17-2005, 08:20 PM

Next thing you know you'll be going on about how the moon landing was recorded in a TV studio in Burbank.i thought the studio was in holllywood...

it was a movie, wasn't it?

go bowe
06-17-2005, 08:23 PM
clark bought a new suit, he's doesn't care about football.but what about his shoes and other accessories? :shrug:

Logical
06-17-2005, 09:02 PM

LOL that is in college, not the Pros

Logical
06-17-2005, 09:05 PM

Are you drunk tonight? The Baltimore Colts drafted Elway not Denver. Elway forced the Colts to trade him to Denver by threatening to play baseball for the Kansas City Royals who had drafted him in the MLB draft.

Logical
06-17-2005, 09:08 PM
its a salary cap on players.. they all cost the same roughly.. I mean you are talking about something you know right??? There is a minimum and maxium you can pay out to each type of player.. hell the salary for most teams is under 1.5 million dollars for the whole team...

bottom line you are comparing apples to oranges...

WTF are you talking about there in bold.

Logical
06-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Same with Lamar/Clark. If soccer is such a freakin priority, then sell the Chiefs to someone in KC who is a football fan.You need to be more realistic, I know of no billionaires in KC, so who is going to be able to afford a half billion dollar acquisition that lives in KC?

Logical
06-17-2005, 09:14 PM
I can see how the soccer interests could conflict with the best interests of the Chiefs. We didn't spend all of our cap money last year. Vermiel said we were out of money, not cap room. Well, The Chiefs could be the cash cow that supports the shit sports. Gotta keep the Chiefs profitable, not necessarily winning.:clap:

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Are you drunk tonight? The Baltimore Colts drafted Elway not Denver. Elway forced the Colts to trade him to Denver by threatening to play baseball for the Kansas City Royals who had drafted him in the MLB draft.
ROFL Not necessarily drunk, Valiant rarely knows what he is talking about. And you are right, Jim, Elway sent letters to every NFL team except Denver stating he would not play for them. He would play baseball instead. Why in the hell did the NFL stand for this? What good would the draft be if this was allowed to go on? Oh, yeah, guess who is the beneficiary of yet another shady deal?

Hercules Rockefell
06-17-2005, 10:03 PM
I can see how the soccer interests could conflict with the best interests of the Chiefs. We didn't spend all of our cap money last year. Vermiel said we were out of money, not cap room. Well, The Chiefs could be the cash cow that supports the shit sports. Gotta keep the Chiefs profitable, not necessarily winning.

I'd like to thank Lamar for both not letting KC spend to the cap and his continuing investment in MLS.