PDA

View Full Version : New tenant for Sprint Center?

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 03:26 PM
I realize that soccer is way more exciting than hockey, but if Lamar/Clark are so eager to purchase another sports team, here's their chance...

Lauries 'can no longer justify' running team
ESPN.com news services

ST. LOUIS -- After seeing the entire NHL season wiped out, the Lauries no longer can afford to own the St. Louis Blues.

Bill and Nancy Laurie have put up the Blues and the Savvis Center for sale, the team announced Friday.

"The Lauries made the decision to sell the team and the Savvis Center because they can no longer justify remaining active in a business which has lost more than $60 million in the past two years and is certain to continue to lose millions annually in the years ahead," Blues president Mark Sauer said.

The team claims the combined cash deficits of the team and the Savvis Center since the arena opened in 1994 have exceeded $225 million. The Lauries bought the team and the building in 1999.

"Substantial future losses are projected even if you take into account what we believe will be a very successful resolution to NHL collective bargaining," Sauer said. "Those projected losses result from the current high sales and amusement taxes and the absence of city, county and state financial support of the debt service and operations of Savvis Center.

"Despite our substantial efforts over the past five years, we have been unable to get the Blues and the Savvis Center anywhere close to a combined financial break-even in our projections. This leaves us with no other choice but to search for a new owner who may be able to address and hopefully better balance the financial interrelationships between the Blues, the Savvis Center and the public sector."

The team has retained Game Plan LLC, a Boston firm that specializes in professional sports franchise transactions, to handle the search for potential buyers. Last month, Game Plan LLC and Boston company Bain Capital Partners LLC reportedly increased their bid to $4 billion to buy the NHL, at least $500 million more than they offered in March.

While the new owner will purchase the lease to the Blues' current home, it likely won't be called the Savvis Center. Savvis Inc. announced Thursday that it is severing ties with the downtown sports arena, breaking off the lease that was set to expire in 2020. The company will pay $5.5 million to end the relationship with Kiel Center Partners.

If the Blues find a buyer, it would be the second sale of an NHL team this year. The sale of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, for a reported $75 million, was approved by the NHL's Board of Governors on Thursday.

Rain Man
06-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Wow. Buy high, sell low.

It seems like they should wait until the strike is settled. This is the worst possible time to sell.

chagrin
06-17-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm sure I am in the minority here, but I think that is a damn shame. Gary Bettman is an idiot, spreading that league out to places like Nashville, Charlotte and Atlanta and Columbus was a HUGE mistake. Furthermore the NHLPA are also idiots, thinking that they have a popular enough sport to justify 10 million per year contracts to players that play in arenas that maybe get 15-20,000 a game (if they're lucky). Seeing a franchise like the St. Louis Blues go down like that is sad.
:shake:

Baby Lee
06-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Dude on the radio her kept repeating, Kansas City Blues? Kansas City Blues?
Guess his encyclopedia knowledge of hockey missed the part where the Blues moved to St. Louis, FROM KC back in the day.

That said, I'm kind of torn. It'd be cool to have a hockey team in KC. And it'd be hella-cool for it to be my favorite team. But it'd be another lovable LOSER to call KC home. Get the Cubs and the Clippers to move to KC and we'll have cornered the market.

Edubs
06-17-2005, 03:44 PM
I would wait until all the crap dies down before wanting to move a team here. NHL has some serious issues to work out.

Bearcat
06-17-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm sure I am in the minority here, but I think that is a damn shame. Gary Bettman is an idiot, spreading that league out to places like Nashville, Charlotte and Atlanta and Columbus was a HUGE mistake. Furthermore the NHLPA are also idiots, thinking that they have a popular enough sport to justify 10 million per year contracts to players that play in arenas that maybe get 15-20,000 a game (if they're lucky). Seeing a franchise like the St. Louis Blues go down like that is sad.

I've had many rants on Bettman & Goodenow... Goodenow caving despite the players not wanting or knowing about it... Bettman not compromising a dollar because his idea that "it's for the better" means more to him than playing the freakin game & not turning his back on all the fans and players.

The players need to realize they are getting too big a chunk of the pie, the owners need to realize that they are the ones responsible for the money they spend, and everyone needs to realize that with the current ticket prices and style of play the fans aren't going to just come back after a year or two.

That said, I'm kind of torn. It'd be cool to have a hockey team in KC.

Being an Avalanche fan, it would be a huge dilemma for me, too... I hate the Blues, I hate Chris Pronger, I hate Keith Tkachuk, and I'm not even over having "Marty" Quennville as a coach if the Avalanche ever play again. If Kansas City got any other team with the exceptions of the Blues and Red Wings, I could easily convert to a full time KC fan.

chagrin
06-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Being an Avalanche fan, it would be a huge dilemma for me, too... I hate the Blues, I hate Chris Pronger, I hate Keith Tkachuk, and I'm not even over having "Marty" Quennville as a coach if the Avalanche ever play again. If Kansas City got any other team with the exceptions of the Blues and Red Wings, I could easily convert to a full time KC fan.

Sweet, another Av's fan! :thumb:

http://images.art.com/images/products/small/10059000/10059191.jpg

Valiant
06-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Shit I say fold the league, and let the owners of the teams that want to try and forge ahead do so in a new league... Follow the NFL's salary cap strategy and go with it... Would only start with about 2/3 of the teams now..

shaneo69
06-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Sweet, another Av's fan! :thumb:

http://images.art.com/images/products/small/10059000/10059191.jpg

Dumbasses. :shake:

:p

Logical
06-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Dude on the radio her kept repeating, Kansas City Blues? Kansas City Blues?
Guess his encyclopedia knowledge of hockey missed the part where the Blues moved to St. Louis, FROM KC back in the day.

That said, I'm kind of torn. It'd be cool to have a hockey team in KC. And it'd be hella-cool for it to be my favorite team. But it'd be another lovable LOSER to call KC home. Get the Cubs and the Clippers to move to KC and we'll have cornered the market.

I am pretty sure you are confusing the farm club for St. Louis Kansas City used to have with an NHL team. The only NHL team Kansas City has ever had was the Kansas City Scouts who moved to Colorado after 1976.

unlurking
06-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Damns AvsMonkeys!!! :mad:

REDWINGS RULE!!!!!!!!!

;)

Baby Lee
06-17-2005, 04:56 PM
I am pretty sure you are confusing the farm club for St. Louis Kansas City used to have with an NHL team. The only NHL team Kansas City has ever had was the Kansas City Scouts who moved to Colorado after 1976.
I can't find it now, but I distinctly remember the Kansas City Blues operating in 1966, then the assets being transferred to St. Louis the next season when St. Louis was granted an expansion franchise in the NHL. Then a new farm team structure being erected for KC.