PDA

View Full Version : vermeil on mitchell .........."probably"

Mr. Laz
06-17-2005, 04:06 PM
i guess the chiefs are looking to Mitchell as a probable replacement of recently departed Az Hakim.

reporter ask Vermeil if the chiefs would make a offer to mitchell now

".......probably"

KC Dan
06-17-2005, 04:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

BigChiefFan
06-17-2005, 04:08 PM
WTF happened with Hakim?

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Blech.

I swear, though, I've been getting a vibe from Vermeil that he didn't really want Hakim this whole time. Weird situation.

Eleazar
06-17-2005, 04:11 PM
It ain't like he's going to be displacing anyone.

tk13
06-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Noooooooooooooo! No no no no no no no no nononononononononoon no no no!

BigChiefFan
06-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Blech.

I swear, though, I've been getting a vibe from Vermeil that he didn't really want Hakim this whole time. Weird situation.
The only thing I like better about Mitchell over Hakim is, he his used to playing outdoors and not a dome player, like Hakim. Other than that, Mitchell is just a number, who brings potential only at this point, IMO. I guess the more depth, the better.

tk13
06-17-2005, 04:17 PM
It ain't like he's going to be displacing anyone.
That isn't a necessary requirement in order for him to run his mouth while he puts up 1 catch for 5 yards.

Thig Lyfe
06-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Mr. Laz
06-17-2005, 04:19 PM
WTF happened with Hakim?
vermeil hinted that Hakim really wanted more than a 1 year deal.

hakim agreed to a verbal deal with the chiefs and then showed up at camp. His agent apparently kept working and got the saints to offer more so Hakim skipped out before ever signing.

Vermeil said that they had agreed that the saints were better, but i just don't see how it could be mutual. Hakim skip for the better deal and the chiefs are putting a good face on it.

Hakim or his agent probably came back to the chiefs and said "the saints have offer us this,this and more of this" .... so the chiefs said "well, we aren't matching ... so take off."

if that's mutual ... lol

Wile_E_Coyote
06-17-2005, 04:27 PM
forget about #84 Freddie, thats Kris Wilson #

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2001/1129/photo/a_mitchell_i.jpg

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Vermeil said days ago that he wasn't going after Hakim, that Hakim had to want to play here himself. That sounded to me at the time like a contract thing (we weren't going to pay more than the minimum, Hakim had to accept that). It just sounds to me like Hakim decided to go back on his verbal agreement, which is fine. I don't think this is a situation of putting a good face on that. If it was, we'd be talking about what a low-life he is for doing it, not how it was an amicable thing.

KC Kings
06-17-2005, 04:29 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

If I had to pick between the 2, (I wouldn't want either), but if I had to pick FredX would be at the top of the list.

Akim: Small, 400 yard per season, really only affective out of the slot, injury prone, over his prime...

FredX: 1,200 yard season, gets in trouble because he never had a male role model to love him and give him a hug, kidnapped somebody, attempted to rape somebody but showed restraint, received an EWi, has had a couple other run ins with the law but all charges were dropped.

As long as they put plenty of clauses in his contract that take away money for bad behavios, and Vermiel give him thr same amount of hugs that he gave Kennison, this could be a great signing.

We have gotten by the last two years with only 1 starting WR and our offense is ok.

Upside: FredX, could be a 1,200 yard receiver. Az could be a 400 yard receiver.
Downside: FredX could suck and end up in jail. Az could be old and hurt and suck.

And remember, just because the Az knows the offense doesn't mean he can jump right in and be effective. Green sucked his first year, partially because this style of offense really relies on the wr's and Green being completely on the same page, not just know what route to run.

Archie Bunker
06-17-2005, 04:29 PM
I think Mitchell would be a good low risk pickup. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good.

Another rumor being tossed around is that Morton might be brought back. I believe Pat Kirwan is the source of that rumor.

Spicy McHaggis
06-17-2005, 04:33 PM
If we sign Freddie I'm going to have to call Taco John for help on spinning it.

ROYC75
06-17-2005, 04:35 PM
I guess Az didn't have as much love for Dv as DV had for him.....

Money talks these days.........

Eleazar
06-17-2005, 04:37 PM
I think Mitchell would be a good low risk pickup. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good.

Exactly, if we bring him in for next to nothing and he sucks, what have we lost?

unlurking
06-17-2005, 06:52 PM
I guess Az didn't have as much love for Dv as DV had for him.....

Money talks these days.........
Didn't really seem like DV had much love for Az either. Every statement he's made in interviews (I'm reading them, not hearing or seeing) about Az, I just visually get the picture he's shrugging his shoulders and going "heh, don't matter".

whoman69
06-17-2005, 09:50 PM
The only thing Freddy could bring to us would be another body at camp. IMO even if we sign him, he doesn't have enough talent to make the team.

Ultra Peanut
06-17-2005, 10:01 PM
If we sign Freddie I'm going to have to call Taco John for help on spinning it.That av, your name, and your generally solid posts have made you one of my frontrunners for the Rookie of the Year award.

TRR
06-17-2005, 10:09 PM
If I had to pick between the 2, (I wouldn't want either), but if I had to pick FredX would be at the top of the list.

Akim: Small, 400 yard per season, really only affective out of the slot, injury prone, over his prime...

FredX: 1,200 yard season, gets in trouble because he never had a male role model to love him and give him a hug, kidnapped somebody, attempted to rape somebody but showed restraint, received an EWi, has had a couple other run ins with the law but all charges were dropped.

As long as they put plenty of clauses in his contract that take away money for bad behavios, and Vermiel give him thr same amount of hugs that he gave Kennison, this could be a great signing.

We have gotten by the last two years with only 1 starting WR and our offense is ok.

Downside: FredX could suck and end up in jail. Az could be old and hurt and suck.

And remember, just because the Az knows the offense doesn't mean he can jump right in and be effective. Green sucked his first year, partially because this style of offense really relies on the wr's and Green being completely on the same page, not just know what route to run.

Wow...I don't know where to start correcting this post. Maybe with Hakim instead of Akim? I believe your also thinking of Koren Robinson instead of Freddie Mitchell. Mitchell's best season was 498 yards, and 2 TD's in 2003.

beer bacon
06-17-2005, 10:35 PM
I think we should also keep in mind that Mitchell has a career QB rating of 104.2.

RealSNR
06-17-2005, 10:54 PM
By no means does KC have a superior receiving corps, but it's still much better than anything Philly has. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see us sign Mitchell and then have some camp scrub beat him out of a spot.

Logical
06-17-2005, 10:59 PM
By no means does KC have a superior receiving corps, but it's still much better than anything Philly has. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see us sign Mitchell and then have some camp scrub beat him out of a spot.:shake:

Eleazar
06-17-2005, 11:04 PM
If he doesn't make the team he doesn't. Then cut him at the end of camp. But I see no downside to giving him a shot to show he can help us. He clearly did have talent at one time and it didn't work out in Philly for whatever reason. WR is the one position where I think a change of scenery is most likely to help someone. Running different plays, getting with a different quarterback, etc.

I don't see the downside. Yeah, he supposedly is a loudmouth but if he were producing I don't think anyone here would care what he said. If he sucks cut him. But why not give it a shot? Is he going to keep Chris Horn from turning into Randy Moss?

B_Ambuehl
06-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Wouldn't be at all surprised to see us sign Mitchell and then have some camp scrub beat him out of a spot.

Maybe that has something to do with Az Hakim leaving as well. Hell, he was in OTAs watching if not participating in practice. I bet he saw that earning a spot in the rotation was gonna be a lot tougher then he had imagined.

Eleazar
06-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Maybe that has something to do with Az Hakim leaving as well. Hell, he was in OTAs watching if not participating in practice. I bet he saw that earning a spot in the rotation was gonna be a lot tougher then he had imagined.

Maybe... well, I hope he enjoys his guaranteed roster spot in New Orleans, and having the most overrated quarterback in NFL history fire passes 10 feet over his head all season.

Ultra Peanut
06-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Maybe... well, I hope he enjoys his guaranteed roster spot in New Orleans, and having the most overrated quarterback in NFL history fire passes 10 feet over his head all season.The most overrated quarterback in NFL history's cousin, thankyoumuch...

Wallcrawler
06-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Actually I think that this upcoming season could be one of the best for Freddie Mitchell, wherever he ends up.

He knows he screwed up in Philadelphia with his antics. So much so that he has little to no interest in him whatsoever in the league.

He's shown ability to make big plays in big games, so its not like he just sucks all around. Ive never been really sold on McNabb as a great QB either. He didnt start actually throwing a lot of TD passes until TO got there, and I think he caught like 17 out of the 31 that he threw.

Ive always looked at Mcnabb as a slower version of Mike Vick. He's got a cannon arm and can make plays with his feet, but he isnt the kind of guy that is going to do well passing without a bigtime talent to get open and draw coverage off of the other guys.

Year before TO got there, Mcnabb couldnt buy a TD pass to a receiver for a long time.

I think a combination of things would really help Freddie Mitchell to excel here.

He will have a better attitude and work ethic this year, knowing that if he wants to continue his career in the NFL, he has to prove that he has value in the league and can keep his attitude in check. He will be playing this year to prove himself, and keep himself employed. If not with the Chiefs, then at least have a good enough showing to draw interest from other teams in the league.

He will have (In my opinion) a better quarterback throwing the ball. Trent Green isnt the kind of QB to just zero in on one guy all game. Green is one of the best in the league at spreading the ball around. The Chiefs had two guys over the 1,000 yard mark and Johnnie Morton probably would have been there as well had he not missed the final 3 games of the season. Morton only needed 115 yards receiving to hit 1,000 yards.

So if Freddie gets open, Green will get him the football. Based on some of the huge plays he has made in the playoffs in recent years, I think Mitchell could make plays in this offense with Green delivering the ball. Im not taking anything away from McNabb, I think hes great at what he does for the Eagles, but he never has been the greatest pure passer in the league with the ability to find guys when they are open. Where Trent Green scrambles a bit and uses patience to buy time for his receivers to get open and then make the play with his arm, McNabb simply tucks the ball and runs with it.

And, like what was said before he wont cost a whole lot, and if he cant hack it in camp, they can cut him without any loss whatsoever.

I dont think Freddie Mitchell is the greatest guy in the world to bring in, but I dont think that he is the absolute worst either.

patteeu
06-18-2005, 08:43 AM

Another rumor being tossed around is that Morton might be brought back. I believe Pat Kirwan is the source of that rumor.

When asked the question about the possibility that Morton could return for a more reasonable contract, Adam Teicher opined that he thought the bridge was burned and that he didn't think it was likely at all. FWIW.

patteeu
06-18-2005, 08:44 AM
The only thing Freddy could bring to us would be another body at camp. IMO even if we sign him, he doesn't have enough talent to make the team.

Yes, we have such an abundance of wide receiver talent on this team.
:rolleyes:

ct
06-18-2005, 08:46 AM
oh please no fredex. call washington about rod gardner, please no fredex!

Bowser
06-18-2005, 08:48 AM
What's Lake Dawson doing these days?

Mile High Mania
06-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Maybe KC can offer the Skins a R7 pick for Gardner... he'll hit the FA market and have serious interest. Forget FredEx and going for Gardner would be the smart move... that means FredEx and Peterson will have a press conference next week.

Chiefnj
06-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Save the money and keep for a corner who gets released when teams have to make roster cuts. Battle playing with the first team - yikes!!

Brock
06-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Maybe KC can offer the Skins a R7 pick for Gardner... he'll hit the FA market and have serious interest. Forget FredEx and going for Gardner would be the smart move... that means FredEx and Peterson will have a press conference next week.

Makes as much sense as signing Jerry Rice.

BigMeatballDave
06-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Well, I certainly will not be happy if we sign him, but maybe we'll get lucky with him. Some players just need a change a scenery...

beer bacon
06-18-2005, 01:30 PM
I would be moderately happy if we signed Mitchell. I don't really see what all the fuss is. If he turned his game around and actually used the talent his possesses we could have a pretty decent WR. If on the other hand he continues to suck he would be cut before the season started. He would be in the same situation Az Hakim was going to be in: earn your spot or get cut. No handouts.

Dave Lane
06-18-2005, 04:11 PM

Fredex is a cancer a unproductive turd. He's basically Dieon Sanders with nothing to back it up. 5 TDs in 5 years he can kiss my ass. Richard Smith is twice the reciever Fredex is or ever will be.

Dave