PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: Hakim departing; Warfield not starting

Fire Me Boy!
06-18-2005, 01:06 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11925537.htm

Hakim departing; Warfield not starting

Cornerback demoted at Chiefs camp

Waiting for news of a possible suspension is no longer the hardest part of coming to work for Chiefs cornerback Eric Warfield.

He’s now also dealing with his demotion from the starting lineup. Julian Battle was in Warfield’s starting spot Friday at the first day of minicamp at the Truman Sports Complex practice facility.

Warfield was relegated to the second team, teamed at cornerback not with two-time Pro Bowler Patrick Surtain but Justin Perkins, a rookie free agent.

The situation was so odd that Warfield was approached early in practice by defensive lineman John Browning.

“He was shocked,” Warfield said. “He thought I was hurt or something.”

The Chiefs say they are only taking a long look at Battle in case Warfield is suspended by the NFL for the first four games of the season, as they expect.

“We have to make sure we are covered if he gets suspended for a while,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “So we’ve got to get somebody ready to play. That’s holding him back a little bit. But he has enough experience and work behind him to catch right up.”

Warfield faces the possible suspension for violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. Warfield pleaded no contest in January to driving under the influence of alcohol. The Overland Park incident was the third time in three years Warfield was charged with DUI in Johnson County.

The demotion is probably temporary, but Warfield acknowledged being confused by the timing. It happened last week with, Warfield said, no warning from Vermeil, defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham or secondary coach Peter Giunta.

His only inkling came during a meeting last week when Cunningham approached Battle. In front of the rest of the defensive players, Warfield included, Cunningham told Battle, “I want you to take his starting spot.”

A startled Warfield began to think the demotion was a prelude to his release. His $3.3 million base salary is hardly prohibitive for the Chiefs but still makes him an inviting target.

“I took (Cunningham’s statement to Battle) as a motivational deal for me,” Warfield said. “I don’t know what else he could have meant by that. I thought there was some animosity towards me, maybe because of what I had done.”

Despite the demotion and possible suspension, Warfield is not expendable. He was by far their best cornerback last season.

They traded with Miami for Surtain as their No. 1 cornerback, but without Warfield they have no reliable partner. Battle struggled all of last season, William Bartee is now a safety and the Chiefs appear determined to leave Dexter McCleon at nickel back because of his size.

Warfield has since been comforted by a recent meeting with Giunta, who told him not to despair.

“I know my talents,” Warfield said. “I’m not going to say that my spot is guaranteed or locked down. At first, I thought I might get cut because nobody said anything to me. After that meeting with Giunta, I’ve come to understand a little better what’s going on.”

“Nobody knows exactly what’s going to happen with me. I guess they’ve got to figure out what to do if I’m not here. They’ve got to make sure somebody else is ready. I don’t have a problem with that.”

That doesn’t lessen the sting from his demotion. It just hurts a little more when a teammate like Browning asks about it.

He’s not playing with the second team for normal reasons. It’s all because he might not be around for the Sept. 11 season opener against the Jets at Arrowhead Stadium and perhaps beyond.

“I haven’t heard a thing (from the NFL),” Warfield said. “They haven’t told me what they’re thinking, what’s going on, what process the decision-makers are in. They’ve just got us waiting. That’s the worst part, to have to wait.

“Here we are at minicamp, and I have no clue or idea of what’s going on or whether there’s going to be a suspension or how many games. That’s a lot to think about.”

Frankie
06-18-2005, 01:17 AM
I don't want to keep beating a dead horse, but I'm very frustrated with Tagliabu's seemingly deliberate subotage of the Chiefs' ability to plan. Someone oughta investigate this.

tk13
06-18-2005, 01:22 AM
I don't want to keep beating a dead horse, but I'm very frustrated with Tagliabu's seemingly deliberate subotage of the Chiefs' ability to plan. Someone oughta investigate this.
Yeah, we're in a real messy area about this. A suspension is really going to be coming down pretty late in the process if it does happen. If it doesn't, I'm sure if I was Oakland or Denver I'd be screaming bloody murder as to why there wasn't one since they'd each get to pick on Battle once each...

Reaper16
06-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Oh, c'mon! Sapp is better than Battle, put him in there. Carl and Dick just can't admit draft mistakes, can they?

stevieray
06-18-2005, 08:14 AM

This guy castigated Lamar Hunt publicly. i'm sure that the delay is intentional. what other reason is there for the delay?

TRR
06-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Yeah, we're in a real messy area about this. A suspension is really going to be coming down pretty late in the process if it does happen. If it doesn't, I'm sure if I was Oakland or Denver I'd be screaming bloody murder as to why there wasn't one since they'd each get to pick on Battle once each...

And if I were KC, I would be screaming bloody murder because every other player in the NFL is suspended immediately after conviction. To wait this long is ridiculous, and should be appealed.

keg in kc
06-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Oh, c'mon! Sapp is better than Battle, put him in there. Carl and Dick just can't admit draft mistakes, can they?They worked Sapp there during OTAs.

TRR
06-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Does anyone else think the coaching staff may be doing this to make it look like Warfield is being punished internally? Hoping that it may be enough to get Warfield a pass on this suspension?

keg in kc
06-18-2005, 08:36 AM
That's a possibility, although you'd think teams would do that all the time if the NFL would go for that. I've also been wondering if the NFL has been waiting on its ruling because of some impending legal event we don't know about.

TRR
06-18-2005, 08:37 AM
That's a possibility, although you'd think teams would do that all the time if the NFL would go for that. I've also been wondering if the NFL has been waiting on its ruling because of some impending legal event we don't know about.

Teams don't have a chance to do it because players are usually suspended immediately.

keg in kc
06-18-2005, 08:41 AM
My contention was more along the lines that I don't think the NFL would allow teams to police their own because the league always seems to be out to make a point when players violate league rules.

Which is what makes the Warfield situation so mystifying...

Herzig
06-18-2005, 08:42 AM
And if I were KC, I would be screaming bloody murder because every other player in the NFL is suspended immediately after conviction. To wait this long is ridiculous, and should be appealed.

Shhhhh...we need to keep this quiet. If Vermeil suspends Warfield for 4 preseason games...we should be good to go ROFL

TRR
06-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Shhhhh...we need to keep this quiet. If Vermeil suspends Warfield for 4 preseason games...we should be good to go ROFL

That would be nice wouldn't it.

If Warfield is suspended, he does have the right to appeal, and that would allow him to pretty much pick and choose the 4 games he would miss....would it not?

keg in kc
06-18-2005, 08:50 AM
I just wish I had some idea of what's going on. I don't really believe there's any kind of conspiracy, but it would be nice to know what the rationale behind delaying the decision is/has been.

TRR
06-18-2005, 08:53 AM
I just wish I had some idea of what's going on. I don't really believe there's any kind of conspiracy going on, but it would be nice to know what the rationale behind delaying the decision is/has been.

I honestly believe the NFL doesn't know what to do. They really screwed the pooch this time. In a legality, this is Warfield's first time getting a DUI in terms of NFL rules. As far as I know, the NFL somehow missed the other 2 times Warfield was caught for DUI. He's never even been in the league's AA program.

keg in kc
06-18-2005, 08:57 AM
They really screwed the pooch this time. In a legality, this is Warfield's first time getting a DUI in terms of NFL rules. As far as I know, the NFL somehow missed the other 2 times Warfield was caught for DUI. He's never even been in the league's AA program.Yeah. The real problem here is that we're the ones who'd end up being screwed because of their error. Because, obviously, if a suspension was/is in order (and I wouldn't debate that point), it should have happened last season. But I don't know how they can save face after the fact, how they can admit they made a mistake yet not suspend him.

TRR
06-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Yeah. The real problem here is that we're the ones who'd end up being screwed because of their error. Because, obviously, if a suspension was/is in order (and I wouldn't debate that point), it should have happened last season. But I don't know how they can save face after the fact, how they can admit they made a mistake yet not suspend him.

I honestly think they need to put Warfield on a zero tolerance policy. Maybe suspend him for some Preseason games. I just think the NFL really screwed up by not suspending Warfield last season. It's too late to suspended him for 4 games now. Not without a lengthy appeal.

keg in kc
06-18-2005, 09:04 AM
As a Chiefs fan, I'm fine with that. If we were talking about any other player for any other team (especially a rival) I'm sure I'd probably say "throw the book at him".

PHOG
06-18-2005, 09:13 AM
As a Chiefs fan, I'm fine with that. If we were talking about any other player for any other team (especially a rival) I'm sure I'd probably say "throw the book at him".

It hurts to say this, but I say "Throw the book at him" anyhow...

Just have him appeal it so he's available for the 1st 4 games.. :)

Mr. Laz
06-18-2005, 10:19 AM
i just don't see how they suspend him now

if they were going to do it, they would of done it already IMO.

why wouldn't they? :Shrug:

the only way this punishes the chiefs is if they are just yanking their chain BECAUSE they are only gonna punish him for 1 game or not at all.

they are just p!ssed because he slipped through the cracks and are pouting about it.

Pants
06-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I like this movie...no one defense gets a ****ing free pass this year. Bitches.

Frankie
06-18-2005, 11:26 AM
It hurts to say this, but I say "Throw the book at him" anyhow...

Just have him appeal it so he's available for the 1st 4 games.. :)
I have no problem with throwing the book at him. My problem is it should have been done by now so the Chiefs could know where they stand regarding their starting secondary. If they know that Warfield is going to be suspended they might bring in someone like Bobby Taylor on a one year contract in time to break him into the system.