PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: Chiefs Notebook

Fried Meat Ball!
06-18-2005, 01:08 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11925558.htm

Green told not to throw

Starting quarterback Trent Green was again grounded during the first day of Chiefs minicamp Friday. Green was limited to drills that didn’t require any throwing.

Green said he was experiencing no soreness in his passing arm and indicated the Chiefs are just being cautious.

“Sometimes I get a little overzealous in my preparation,” he said. “I’ve been throwing and working out since the Monday after the Pro Bowl. That probably wasn’t the smartest thing on my part in terms of how long the offseason is. Some of the coaches and some of the trainers and everybody saw the way I was working and said: ‘You know what? You’re going to kill yourself before you even get to training camp.’

“They think it’s in my best interest to pull back. I feel good. It’s more just them seeing my eagerness and trying to keep me in check. I understand it. I don’t like it, but I understand it. It’s probably smart.”

The grounding took on almost comical proportions during an individual drill in which quarterbacks work on their footwork while setting up for a pass. The Chiefs took a ball away from Green to prevent him from cutting loose with a throw.

■ PLAY OF THE DAY: The spectacular play of the day — and perhaps of the offseason — was made by rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson. He was rushing Damon Huard on a screen pass but didn’t get to the quarterback in time to prevent the throw.

Johnson leaped high into the passing lane to tip the ball. He almost caught the deflection.

“It didn’t surprise me,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “He’s a first-round pick and the 15th pick, so you’d expect him to do a lot of good things. But he’s done well in every way.”

■ SAMPSON STARTS: Kevin Sampson was the starter at right tackle in place of Jordan Black. The change is unlikely to be permanent.

Sampson also was the starting right tackle in practice during the week with Black starting at left tackle for the absent Willie Roaf. Roaf assumed his spot on Friday.

The Chiefs want to give Black plenty of exposure on the left side in case he’s eventually needed there.

■ OPEN PRACTICE: Today’s practice is open to the public. It begins at noon at Arrowhead Stadium. Admission and parking are free.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2005, 10:29 AM
a "was gonna post this myself" bump