PDA

View Full Version : Blaylock article

Wile_E_Coyote
06-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Blaylock moves to Big Apple
http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2005/06/18/local_news/sports/sports01.txt

Saturday, June 18, 2005 1:18 PM CDT
Former Atlanta player inks free-agent deal with Jets

By LOUIE AVERY (lavery@texarkanagazette.com)
Texarkana Gazette
Derrick Blaylock has a lot on his mind these days, but not so much that he doesn't have time to teach youngsters in Northeast Texas a few new tricks about the game he loves so much.

After playing four seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs as a backup to Priest Holmes, the 25-year-old Blaylock has moved to "The Big Apple," where he'll be donned in a dark green New York Jets jersey next fall. He'll still be wearing No. 23, but now he's a backup for Curtis Martin.
Slowed by injuries in high school and college, the Atlanta, Texas, native surprised many with a spectacular senior season at Stephen F. Austin Unversity. He only had 12 starts in college, but 11 came during his final year as he carried the ball 202 times for 1,382 yards and eight touchdowns. He was 58 yards shy of the school rushing record set by former NFL great Larry Centers in 1989.

"My senior year at SFA shocked me," Blaylock said Friday afternoon after giving 25 youngsters a pep talk at his Queen City NFL Football Camp. "It gave me an opportunity to get drafted and prolong my career."
Blaylock was a fifth round pick, the 150th player selected in the 2001 NFL Draft.

He was inactive for all 16 regular season games his rookie season, but appeared in 12 games on special teams and eight games on offense the next season. Blaylock made giant strides his third year, playing in all 16 games. The 5-9, 210 pound Blaylock established himself last season as a legitimate NFL performer.
Blaylock started four games when Priest Holmes went down, running for 539 yards and eight touchdowns, including five in one game. He also caught 25 passes for another 246 yards and a TD.

His performances on the field couldn't have been timed better, because he became a free agent after the Chiefs' finale last season.

"When you're a free agent you have a chance of going anywhere," Blaylock said. "Kansas City had a chance to resign me, but the Jets came with a lot better offer. I believe I'll get a lot more running time too behind Curtis Martin.

"The Jets have been to the playoffs three of the last four years. I felt like they should have been in the Super Bowl last year. Hopefully I'll contribute and we can go to the Super Bowl this year."

Leaving the Chiefs was not an easy decision, but in the end money was the decisive factor.

"You want to stay with one team your whole career, but that doesn't happen much these days. Guys move around. All of the Jets have been wonderful, and they've accepted me."

Married with three children, Blaylock said the move to New York City has been a dramatic adventure. They've settled in Long Island where they'll have the freedom to drive their car to a local grocery, or visit a mall.

"Long Island is sort of laid back and you can do that stuff," Blaylock said. "Manhattan is the place you don't want to be. It's a fast city, but I'm going to slow it down. If you can slow it down, it's just like Atlanta, Texas."

Blaylock emphasizes he will not forget where he was raised and taught life's experiences, which he benefits from today.

"I'll be coming home every year for my professional football camps," he said. "Today we're in Queen City, but I want to spread it around to Atlanta, Linden, Daingerfield and other communities in this area. I want to get kids who would not normally have an opportunity to go to a professional camp, which is different from a high school camp. I'm bringing NFL experience to these kids who really don't get a chance to experience the NFL. It's a great thing that these kids will come out an hear the information tht I have for them."

Blayock will not be able to participate in Texarkana's NFL Hometown Weekend next week. He's got a mini-camp to attend in New York. The Jets are already preparing for their season opener in September with the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I just can't wait," Blaylock said. "All of those guys (Chiefs) are great friends and they'll be trying to knock my head off."

That's just one more thing on Blaylock's mind these days.

keg in kc
06-18-2005, 05:12 PM
I'd love to see us beat the living shit out of him in week one, and then see him do well the rest of the year.

StcChief
06-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Martin should be about done. Blaylock will then really get his chance to shine.

Not in week 1.

kchero
06-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I wish Blaylock the best...He has always been a class guy and even though others were getting the snaps he never complained....true team player.

Bowser
06-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Blaylock has visions of running throught the '04 defense, which is good. I wish him well from week 2 forward.

The Jets are supposedly going to open it up more this year, with alot of four receiver, one back sets. Personally, I don't think that kind of offense suits Pennington. He's good at the dink and dunk crap with the occasional long heave down the field. He always seemed overrated, despite the lofty QB ratings.

milkman
06-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Blaylock has visions of running throught the '04 defense, which is good. I wish him well from week 2 forward.

The Jets are supposedly going to open it up more this year, with alot of four receiver, one back sets. Personally, I don't think that kind of offense suits Pennington. He's good at the dink and dunk crap with the occasional long heave down the field. He always seemed overrated, despite the lofty QB ratings.

I agree with.
He was nearly the perfect QB for a Hackett offense.

unlurking
06-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Scanlon will KILL Blaylock!!!
;)

papasmurf
06-18-2005, 08:01 PM
I hope Derrick has a killer year. Glad he won't be starting in game one

TRR
06-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Blaylock is a career 3rd down back. Nothing more.

Wallcrawler
06-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Blaylock should do well with the Jets. Theyve got a pretty good offensive line, and as long as Blaylock has one of those to run behind, he can make some things happen.

the Talking Can
06-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Blaylock will find out what every RB behind Curtis Matin finds out: you don't get the ball much.

Valiant
06-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Blaylock is a career 3rd down back. Nothing more.

Thats retarded to say... No one knows yet...

TRR
06-19-2005, 03:52 AM
Thats retarded to say... No one knows yet...

Save that quote. He isn't an every down back.