PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Question:

Pitt Gorilla
06-18-2005, 11:08 PM
I've been watching Episode V, after recently seeing III, and given that I'm not a SW freak, I have a question; why is Yoda so freking CRAZY in the swamp? I mean, dude is out there. I suppose life there (after 30 or so years) could make one mad, but he doesn't even seem consistent (he goes nuts over a flashlight?)

(Not so seriously) Also, he seems to have lost a lot of his mannerisms (I guess being a puppet, now, will do that to you) and the robots seem to be LESS technologically advanced (than in III), even though the movie is taking place than later than III!

:)

SNR
06-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Because you touch yourself at night.

irishjayhawk
06-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Better Question: Why would yoda just give up after fighting Sidious in the senate room?

It was like "I got knocked down, I lose, Bye"

elvomito
06-18-2005, 11:13 PM
i guess because he lost his light sabre?

irishjayhawk
06-18-2005, 11:13 PM
And Yoda couuldn't get it?

sd4chiefs
06-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Why did it take 20 years to build the Death Star the first time? (The time between Episode III and Episode IV.) It only took them about 3 years to build the 2nd Death Star. (The time between Episode IV and Episode VI.

Rain Man
06-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Why did it take 20 years to build the Death Star the first time? (The time between Episode III and Episode IV.) It only took them about 3 years to build the 2nd Death Star. (The time between Episode IV and Episode VI.

The first one was built with union labor.

stevieray
06-18-2005, 11:26 PM

wd40 and duct tape

4th and Long
06-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Spit and baling wire.

jiveturkey
06-18-2005, 11:50 PM
How come Vader never recognizes the droids? I would have taken R2 back if I was Vader. I wouldn't have admitted to building C3PO, everyone would always ask, why did you build a gay droid? and then I would have to choke them from 10 feet away.

Why does Ob1 play mind games with Luke. If he's keeping an eye on him should he be a bit more involved. And why does Luke's family take about Ob1 likes he a crazy drunk guy from the woods?

That movie answered a lot of questions and left me with a lot of others.

Lucas sucks!

Pitt Gorilla
06-19-2005, 12:22 AM
You know, the people in these movies have got jobs for life. Even if you never see the backlot again, you'll have work. Some slob at a convention will be all, "hey, look! It's Nutty McNutsack! He was Fett's cousin's barber's hand model in episode IX! Wow, just look at 'em!"

Deberg_1990
06-19-2005, 08:30 AM

Because Lucas is a great storyteller, but a lazy writer.

DJay23
06-19-2005, 09:49 AM
I've been watching Episode V, after recently seeing III, and given that I'm not a SW freak, I have a question; why is Yoda so freking CRAZY in the swamp? I mean, dude is out there. I suppose life there (after 30 or so years) could make one mad, but he doesn't even seem consistent (he goes nuts over a flashlight?)

(Not so seriously) Also, he seems to have lost a lot of his mannerisms (I guess being a puppet, now, will do that to you) and the robots seem to be LESS technologically advanced (than in III), even though the movie is taking place than later than III!

:)
So I guess I'll be the nerd and attempt a serious answer:

I've thought about this before and I think Yoda is testing Luke. He's trying to see how patient Luke is at finding this "Jedi Master." You notice as soon as Luke gets all, "I don't know what I'm doing here, we're wasting time," Yoda drops the annoying retarded green thing schtick.

The "explanation" I've heard about the decrease in technology, is that the Empire has stifled creativity in all forms. That's why the more plain clothing, crappier space ships (except for the Imperial stuff), and clunkier droids. These are all basically 20 year old, rusted out delapitaded pieces of crap. Kind of like how there isn't a decent car newer than 1960 in Cuba. Anyway, we know the reason is that the movie was made 25 years prior, but I think it's a halfway decent explanation.

Good question about Vader.

The Death Star problem is crazy too. Lucas never should have shown it being built at the end of Episode 3.

Obi wan I think was watching Luke, just to make sure he didn't fall into the wrong hands, but he was hands off. Beru and Owen wanted the same, and maybe didn't trust Obi wan not to run off with Luke when the time was right (which he tried to do before they were killed).

I'm ashamed that I've thought this much about these movies.

Loki
06-19-2005, 09:57 AM
How come Vader never recognizes the droids? I would have taken R2 back if I was Vader. I wouldn't have admitted to building C3PO, everyone would always ask, why did you build a gay droid? and then I would have to choke them from 10 feet away.

ROFL ROFL

Adept Havelock
06-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Why did it take 20 years the first time, and only 4 the second?

The work of an inspired genius the first time is the work of a trained engineer the second. Just look at how long it took to build the first A-bomb, and compare that to subsequent ones.

jiveturkey
06-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Why wasn't the Bobbafet/Storm Tropper angle talked about in the old movies. You would think that Bobbafet would want to hang out with his brothers/dads???

I always thought that the storm troppers were a bunch of weekend warriors for the Empire and then we find out that they're a bunch of clones.

jiveturkey
06-19-2005, 11:24 AM
And why was Anikin allowed to hang out with the other dead jedi when he died? I thought that it took a lot of training to become a glowing dead guy.

Taco John
06-19-2005, 12:05 PM
How come Vader never recognizes the droids?

When does he ever see them?

Frazod
06-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Good point. A better question would be why Kenobi didn't seem to recognize them, although I guess he didn't want to tip Luke off to anything about Vader.

One thing that comes across is that R2 knows everything about everyone in IV through VI. His memory was never wiped. Think of some of things he could have said.

"Hey Ben, long time no see. 20 years in the f#cking desert hasn't done you any favors, eh? You look like a different person."

"Stop drooling over the hologram, you pervert. SHE'S YOUR SISTER."

"Your dad is SHOOTING AT ME! SHIT! WHAT THE HELL DID I DO?"

"Hey Luke... the little guy with the big ears - DON'T PISS HIM OFF!"

ROFL

Raiderhader
06-19-2005, 12:44 PM

3PO is strapped to Chewbacca's back at the deep freeze station in TESB when Solo gets the big chill.

Ari Chi3fs
06-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I was on one of the torrent sites I visit, and this was recently uploaded...

Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 1)

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars.

Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 2)

Political infighting threatens the fragile, victorious Rebel Alliance in its ongoing struggle against the empire in this sequel to Heirs of the Empire (Bantam, 1991). Luke, Leia, and Han face separate challenges from a mad Jedi, an Imperial Grand Admiral, and a smuggler with a dangerous secret, and the fate of the alliance hangs on the outcome of their missions. Zahn's snappy prose and cinematic style capture the feel of the popular Star Wars films as he weaves together a lightweight but exciting tale of high adventure. Expect demand.

The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 3)

The embattled Republic reels from the attacks of Grand Admiral Thrawn, who has marshaled the remnants
of the Imperial forces and driven the Rebels back with an abominable technology recovered from the Emperor's secret fortress: clone soldiers. As Thrawn mounts his final siege, Han and Chewbacca struggle to form a coalition of smugglers for a last-ditch attack against the empire, while Leia holds the Alliance together and prepares for the birth of her Jedi twins. Overwhelmed by the ships and clones at Thrawn's command, the Republic has one last hope -- sending a small force, led by Luke Skywalker, into the very stronghold that houses Thrawn's terrible cloning machines. There a final danger awaits, as the Dark Jedi C'baoth directs the battle against the Rebels and builds his strength to finish what he had already started: the destruction of Luke Skywalker.

http://www.demonoid.com/torrents/download/HTTP/134931/StarWarsAudioBooksTheThrawnTrilogy.www.Demonoid.com.torrent

Pants
06-19-2005, 12:47 PM
I was on one of the torrent sites I visit, and this was recently uploaded...

Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 1)

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars.

Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 2)

Political infighting threatens the fragile, victorious Rebel Alliance in its ongoing struggle against the empire in this sequel to Heirs of the Empire (Bantam, 1991). Luke, Leia, and Han face separate challenges from a mad Jedi, an Imperial Grand Admiral, and a smuggler with a dangerous secret, and the fate of the alliance hangs on the outcome of their missions. Zahn's snappy prose and cinematic style capture the feel of the popular Star Wars films as he weaves together a lightweight but exciting tale of high adventure. Expect demand.

The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 3)

The embattled Republic reels from the attacks of Grand Admiral Thrawn, who has marshaled the remnants
of the Imperial forces and driven the Rebels back with an abominable technology recovered from the Emperor's secret fortress: clone soldiers. As Thrawn mounts his final siege, Han and Chewbacca struggle to form a coalition of smugglers for a last-ditch attack against the empire, while Leia holds the Alliance together and prepares for the birth of her Jedi twins. Overwhelmed by the ships and clones at Thrawn's command, the Republic has one last hope -- sending a small force, led by Luke Skywalker, into the very stronghold that houses Thrawn's terrible cloning machines. There a final danger awaits, as the Dark Jedi C'baoth directs the battle against the Rebels and builds his strength to finish what he had already started: the destruction of Luke Skywalker.

http://www.demonoid.com/torrents/download/HTTP/134931/StarWarsAudioBooksTheThrawnTrilogy.www.Demonoid.com.torrent

Probably an E-book.

Ari Chi3fs
06-19-2005, 12:53 PM
[/url]

Probably an E-book.

nope, audio book.

DJay23
06-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I read this trilogy probably 8 years ago. Good books, but it's hard to take them as a part of the actual story.

Pants
06-19-2005, 01:51 PM
I read this trilogy probably 8 years ago. Good books, but it's hard to take them as a part of the actual story.

Why?

DJay23
06-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Why?
Just my personal opinion. Unless it comes from the mind of the creator, it's hard for me to take off-shoots seriously.

RINGLEADER
06-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Great point...and one I'm sure George Lucas will "correct" when the next versions of the original trilogy are released. What scares the crap out of me is that he's going to change the light sabre duals in episodes 4-6 to match those in 1-3 and we're going to see a 65 year-old Alec Guinness jumping off walls and twirling around as he faces Vader in "A New Hope". I'm sure Lucas will think it's just awesome and was originally intended to be done that way as the rest of us curse his apparent goal of destroying the original trilogy.

DJay23
06-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Great point...and one I'm sure George Lucas will "correct" when the next versions of the original trilogy are released. What scares the crap out of me is that he's going to change the light sabre duals in episodes 4-6 to match those in 1-3 and we're going to see a 65 year-old Alec Guinness jumping off walls and twirling around as he faces Vader in "A New Hope". I'm sure Lucas will think it's just awesome and was originally intended to be done that way as the rest of us curse his apparent goal of destroying the original trilogy.
I hope you're kidding.

Lucas had said when Episode I came out that the light saber duels would be faster in the prequals becaus the Jedi are in their prime. The relative slowness of the original trilogy makes sense when you consider that Obi wan is an old man, Luke is new to this whole light saber thing, and Vader is also getting older/diminished ability.

SNR
06-19-2005, 03:25 PM
I hope you're kidding.

Lucas had said when Episode I came out that the light saber duels would be faster in the prequals becaus the Jedi are in their prime. The relative slowness of the original trilogy makes sense when you consider that Obi wan is an old man, Luke is new to this whole light saber thing, and Vader is also getting older/diminished ability.Palpatine wasn't exactly a toddler in Episode III

Valiant
06-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Palpatine wasn't exactly a toddler in Episode III

True... I rather have the slower duels then the blur of CGI going across the screen...

whtgldwldr
06-19-2005, 05:07 PM

2nd one was never complete (less than a third) and used wookie labor(yeah, chewies cousins are slaves). First one was all clone workers. They're great fighters, but shit with a screwdriver.

whtgldwldr
06-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Why wasn't the Bobbafet/Storm Tropper angle talked about in the old movies. You would think that Bobbafet would want to hang out with his brothers/dads???

I always thought that the storm troppers were a bunch of weekend warriors for the Empire and then we find out that they're a bunch of clones.

*Complete Nerd Moment*

By the time eps. 4-6 came about, the clones were only the elites. Most aged too far, or some shit. The empire had recruiting facilities on Coruscant for officers and troopers.

*End of Complete Nerd Moment*