PDA

View Full Version : Battle Hurt. Chiefs go after Law?

BigRedChief
06-19-2005, 07:33 AM
For what it's worth

Nick Athan - Scout.com
June 18, 2005 at 4:23pm ET
This is supposed to be the middle of the offseason but it has been anything other than that in Kansas City as news filters out each and every day. On minicamp weekend, the Chiefs continue to court players, a possible injury comes down the line and news on Ty Law is the result of the injury.
Former Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Freddie Mitchell was in town this weekend and after passing a physical signed a one-year deal with the team.
While financial terms were not disclosed, Mitchell will compete with Marc Boerigter and Dante Hall for the third receiver spot.

Mitchell mentioned the only issue with Mitchell and the Eagles was that the receiver did not get along with quartback Donovan McNabb .
In other news, Julian Battle may have suffered a torn Achilles heel. An MRI is slated for Sunday but head coach Dick Vermeil did not sound optimistic about his availability to the team in the near future.
That, of course, fueled further speculation into the Chiefs going after Ty Law .

Speaking with a Chiefs official at mini-camp on Saturday, Kansas City has been in contact with Law and are hoping to have him in town as early as next week.

Big Chief Homer
06-19-2005, 07:40 AM
I doubt it happens ,but man would that be awesome.

htismaqe
06-19-2005, 07:43 AM
good Lord, Athan is STILL talking about Ty Law?

Baby Lee
06-19-2005, 07:44 AM
For what it's worth

Nick Athan
That's about all the further one need go.

Kerberos
06-19-2005, 07:44 AM
As great as that dream sounds .... Ain't gonna happen. :shake:

nascher
06-19-2005, 08:09 AM
no way we don't have the money to pay LAW.

MGRS13
06-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Almost as bad as you still talking about Bell playing middle LB.

Bwana
06-19-2005, 08:31 AM
As great as that dream sounds .... Ain't gonna happen. :shake:

My guess would be there are ways to do it, but it would put us in cap hell for the next few years. It is more likely our boy Dexter will still be a Chief this year. :shake:

Demonpenz
06-19-2005, 09:40 AM
i bet for the right price the chiefs would sign him

4th and Long
06-19-2005, 10:01 AM
For what it's worth
It's worth nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. It will never happen. Ever. Forget it. Give it up. Not happenin'. No way. No how. For the love of God, please stop posting crap like this. We are all tired of seeing this dead horse being beaten into oblivion.
http://img269.echo.cx/img269/6098/deadhorse3li.gifhttp://img269.echo.cx/img269/2361/dead20horse7hz.gifhttp://img269.echo.cx/img269/6783/deadhorse29zl.gif

RedThat
06-19-2005, 10:15 AM

I hear no other inside reporters discussing us going after Law except Athan.

jspchief
06-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Athan insinuates that the Battle injury has fueled our interest in Law. This makes no sense for several reasons:

1. I doubt Battle was going to be a key player anyway. That's like saying we're going to pursue Brett Favre because Damon Huard got injured. There is just too big of a talent disparity. If we wanted Law, I doubt the health of a 5th string CB would be the determining factor on whether we pursue him.

2. The timeline doesn't jive. An official at the Saturday camp said they had been in touch with Law, on the same day that Battle got injured? I guess maybe our front office just works that fast (yeah right). Not impossible, but seems unlikely.

3. I still don't think we have the money. We may bring him in and insult him with a paltry offer, but I don't see any way we can compete if any other team is interested (as has been indicated).

Mr. Laz
06-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Athan insinuates that the Battle injury has fueled our interest in Law. This makes no sense for several reasons:

1. I doubt Battle was going to be a key player anyway. That's like saying we're going to pursue Brett Favre because Damon Huard got injured. There is just too big of a talent disparity. If we wanted Law, I doubt the health of a 5th string CB would be the determining factor on whether we pursue him.

2. The timeline doesn't jive. An official at the Saturday camp said they had been in touch with Law, on the same day that Battle got injured? I guess maybe our front office just works that fast (yeah right). Not impossible, but seems unlikely.

3. I still don't think we have the money. We may bring him in and insult him with a paltry offer, but I don't see any way we can compete if any other team is interested (as has been indicated).

yep

DTLB58
06-19-2005, 10:32 AM

You must not have heard on friday Gun went into a team defensive meeting and in front of all the players and coaches told Battle "I want you to take his starting spot" pointing at Warfield!

Vermeil also did state yesterday when asked about Battle's injury, he said yes it's a concern he was going to be starting!

They had slated Julian as the starter for Eric assuming he was going to get a 4 game suspension to start the season for his 3rd DUI and I suppose depending on how he did those first 4 games whether or not Warfiled got his job back.

I think if this injury puts Battle out of commission it is a BIG deal if Warfield is suspended......Take the bull by the horns and go after LAW let's show everyone we ARE DAMN serious about making a super bowl run this year!

the Talking Can
06-19-2005, 11:11 AM
I hear no other inside reporters discussing us going after Law except Athan.

you said "inside reporter" and "athan" in the same sentence...

Cochise
06-19-2005, 11:22 AM
For what it's worth

Nick Athan - Scout.com
June 18, 2005 at 4:23pm ET
This is supposed to be the middle of the offseason but it has been anything other than that in Kansas City

What else HAS it been? :spock:

a possible injury comes down the line

Is it a possible injury or is he actually injured?

While financial terms were not disclosed, Mitchell will compete with Marc Boerigter and Dante Hall for the third receiver spot.

Who has the #2 sewn up?? :spock:

Mitchell mentioned the only issue with Mitchell and the Eagles

Mitchell speaks in third person about Mitchell I guess.

In other news, Julian Battle may have suffered a torn Achilles heel.

Dr. Athan, I think you might mean a torn Achilles tendon. I hope you aren't doing the MRI.

An MRI is slated for Sunday but head coach Dick Vermeil did not sound optimistic about his availability to the team in the near future.

I'm no journalism major, but this sounds like a good place for an actual quote.

Pants
06-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Warfield better get his shit together.

Cochise
06-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Another thing is, Warfield will probably get suspended I know but he had his best season as a Chief last year, IMO, why are these scabs supposed to be taking his job all of a sudden?

jAZ
06-19-2005, 11:34 AM
1. I doubt Battle was going to be a key player anyway.
FYI, Battle was our 1st team CB and would be expected to start today if Warfield is suspended.

Thig Lyfe
06-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Nick Ath

I stopped reading right there.

CoMoChief
06-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Man can anyone imagine what type of secondary we would have if that was true??? 2 of the 3 best CB's in the NFL in our secondary. Warfield playing at the nickle?!?! If this did happen, which I doubt, then the success of our defense relies on the defensive line.

jspchief
06-19-2005, 11:46 AM
FYI, Battle was our 1st team CB and would be expected to start today if Warfield is suspended. Oh really? First team? So It's Warfield and Battle. Then is Surtain the nickel, or is he just depth?

TRR
06-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Oh really? First team? So It's Warfield and Battle. Then is Surtain the nickel, or is he just depth?

They are plugging in several players in Warfield's spot just in case he is suspended. Sapp, Battle, and Hodge have all been getting first team reps.

I don't know why they don't try and sign Bobby Taylor to a deal like Mitchell's.

jspchief
06-19-2005, 12:01 PM
You must not have heard on friday Gun went into a team defensive meeting and in front of all the players and coaches told Battle "I want you to take his starting spot" pointing at Warfield!

Vermeil also did state yesterday when asked about Battle's injury, he said yes it's a concern he was going to be starting!

They had slated Julian as the starter for Eric assuming he was going to get a 4 game suspension to start the season for his 3rd DUI and I suppose depending on how he did those first 4 games whether or not Warfiled got his job back.

I think if this injury puts Battle out of commission it is a BIG deal if Warfield is suspended......Take the bull by the horns and go after LAW let's show everyone we ARE DAMN serious about making a super bowl run this year!I did not hear about any of that. I pretty much missed all news on Friday or Saturday.

But it doesn't change my original point. Why would the loss of Battle be what sparks interest in Law? I find it hard to believe that we preferred Battle over Law. If we have interest in Law, Battle's health has never had anything to do with it IMO. And again, the timeline doesn't fit.

Moreover, what the hell are we going to do in the 12 games that Warfield isn't suspended? Apparently people think we're going to have a 50 million dollar secondary, with a 5 million dollar nickelback. Just doesn't seem likely. Off the top of my head, I can't remember many other teams going out and signing a high-priced pro-bowler because they need a 4 game fill in. It seems much more likely that we would try and get by with what we have, whether it be Battle, McCleon, or whoever.

alanm
06-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Didn't you have me quoted earlier in FA in your signature where I said "Ty Law will be a Chief" It ain't dead yet!! :)

Rain Man
06-19-2005, 01:52 PM
In other news, Julian Battle may have suffered a torn Achilles heel.

That seems to be his biggest weakness.

Baby Lee
06-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Millenia have passed, and still no refinements in the River Styx dipping protocols. :rolleyes:

Logical
06-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Oh really? First team? So It's Warfield and Battle. Then is Surtain the nickel, or is he just depth?

You must have missed the article posted on the BB, it is true that Warfield was demoted to the 2nd team and Battle moved to the first team. Surtain is of course the number 1 CB.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118121&highlight=Warfield

Mr. Laz
06-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Why would the loss of Battle be what sparks interest in Law?
our 1st cornerback in surtain
our 2nd choice is warfield
(apparently) our 3rd is Battle

IF warfield is suspended and IF Battle is seriously injured, that would leave us starting our 4th choice.

if the chiefs don't think their 4th corner is up to the challenge it could very well spark the team's interest in picking up another cornerback.

lots of if's ... but it's feasible

that said, i just don't see us spending the money it would take to get Law as the addition.

Chiefaholic
06-19-2005, 02:34 PM
I agree that we don't have the cap space to give Ty law the kind of money he's used to. But, which team in the NFL does at this point in the offseason? Reguarless of where Law signs, he's going to make ALOT less than he made last year. There are ways to structure a contract to guarantee law money NEXT year for performance gained this season. If Stiles adds unlikely to be earned incentives (given injury situation), then none of them will count against this years cap. Then is Law fully recovers, he'll get his money next season and can work for a long term contract then.

shaneo69
06-19-2005, 03:07 PM

ROFL

BigRedChief
06-20-2005, 11:29 PM

I hated the Greek Mythology course that I had to take in college. Just thought you might want to know this nugget of info. Anything I can do to help out. At least you got to look at tyour wifes pic again.

Logical
06-20-2005, 11:40 PM
:cuss: dammit there ought to be a way to filter all threads to make sure the articles are not written by Nick Athan, asswipe extraordinaire.

BigRedChief
06-20-2005, 11:43 PM
:cuss: dammit there ought to be a way to filter all threads to make sure the articles are not written by Nick Athan, asswipe extraordinaire.

I editorialized it at the first saying for what its worth....Most of what he says is BS this is just more of the same but its the offseason. What else we got to talk about?

Logical
06-20-2005, 11:59 PM
I editorialized it at the first saying for what its worth....Most of what he says is BS this is just more of the same but its the offseason. What else we got to talk about?

Meh, not meaning to pick on you just the jackass Athan, though it appears he for once got something right on the Az Hakim story.

Taco John
06-21-2005, 01:00 AM
You *TOO* can report like Nick Athan!

1. Read the Internet!
2. BIG NAME FREE AGENT!
3. PROFIT!!!!11

/repost

htismaqe
06-21-2005, 05:30 AM

Yeah, there's certainly some similarities there. :rolleyes:

htismaqe
06-21-2005, 05:33 AM
ROFL

Leave it to you to jump on, even if the side your jumping on is completely retarded. Anything to get in a jab, huh?

I guess you missed the part where Gunther said he is continuing to work with Mitchell because he needs so much help, while Keyaron Fox was not only the best LB, but the best PLAYER on the field during 3/4 of OTA's.

Speaking of someone STILL talking about a dead subject -- don't you have a Rufus Dawes article to post and ridicule?

Manila-Chief
06-21-2005, 08:13 AM
I agree that I don't think we can sign Law, but in the thread of Denny Thum being on (is it KCIX) last night he mentioned that he checks in with Law's progress about once a week. Now, if there is not some interest and a slim possibility that we might sign him ... why would Denny be keeping in contact? I sure hope it is true, but will not hold my breath until he is signed.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
No way we get Surtain AND Law in the same off-season. God doesn't love us that much.

TEX
06-21-2005, 08:50 AM
No way we get Surtain AND Law in the same off-season. God doesn't love us that much.

As long as he is still recovering from his injury, the chances are better that he will only be able to sign a 1-year deal with any team. If that's the case, the CHIEFS do have a shot. However, I suspect that he will sign with whichever team offers hin a multi-year deal. :hmmm:

KChiefs1
06-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Why would the loss of Battle be what sparks interest in Law? I find it hard to believe that we preferred Battle over Law. If we have interest in Law, Battle's health has never had anything to do with it IMO. And again, the timeline doesn't fit.

Moreover, what the hell are we going to do in the 12 games that Warfield isn't suspended? Apparently people think we're going to have a 50 million dollar secondary, with a 5 million dollar nickelback. Just doesn't seem likely. Off the top of my head, I can't remember many other teams going out and signing a high-priced pro-bowler because they need a 4 game fill in. It seems much more likely that we would try and get by with what we have, whether it be Battle, McCleon, or whoever.

:clap:

Mr. Kotter
06-21-2005, 11:27 AM

Can't we at least ASK for it? No harm is 'asking' is there? :shrug:

:p

Coogs
06-21-2005, 11:39 AM
no way we don't have the money to pay LAW.

But, if we release Warfield we possibly might have enough. Warfield's signing bonus was 5 million over 7 years. I think he is entering his 3rd year of that contract, so we should still owe him roughly 3.6 million. Since it is after June 1st, that money could be cut into around 1.8 against the cap this year, and 1.8 against the cap next year.

Warfields base salary this year is also around 3.4 million, give or take a hundred grand.

3.4 minus 1.8 would give about 1.6 million to work with towards Law, which is far better than minimum. Could probably even start working on a 2 part signing bonus contract. :shrug:

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-21-2005, 11:45 AM
As long as he is still recovering from his injury, the chances are better that he will only be able to sign a 1-year deal with any team. If that's the case, the CHIEFS do have a shot.
OK... I'll give you that..... but I'm still not getting my hopes up...

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-21-2005, 11:46 AM

Knock yourself out... I hope I'm wrong.

I'm having nightmares starring Dexter McLeon a lot all of the sudden...

RedThat
06-21-2005, 11:47 AM
OK... I'll give you that..... but I'm still not getting my hopes up...

Let's say it happened. What would be your reaction?

KChiefs1
06-21-2005, 02:13 PM
But, if we release Warfield we possibly might have enough. Warfield's signing bonus was 5 million over 7 years. I think he is entering his 3rd year of that contract, so we should still owe him roughly 3.6 million. Since it is after June 1st, that money could be cut into around 1.8 against the cap this year, and 1.8 against the cap next year.

Warfields base salary this year is also around 3.4 million, give or take a hundred grand.

3.4 minus 1.8 would give about 1.6 million to work with towards Law, which is far better than minimum. Could probably even start working on a 2 part signing bonus contract. :shrug:

So what you are basically saying is trade Warfield for Law correct? :hmmm:

"IF" Law is healthy that's a no-brainer IMHO! :p

KCTitus
06-21-2005, 02:23 PM
KC doesnt have enough money to entice Law to sign.

Taco John
06-21-2005, 07:52 PM
KC doesnt have enough money to entice Law to sign.

According to one source I know, it all depends on whether Law wants to win a Superbowl or not. If he decides that he wants to win a Superbowl, he'll be joining the Chiefs. If he's just looking for the almighty dollar, he'll pick another team.

His decision could come any day now...

Mr. Kotter
06-21-2005, 09:00 PM
According to one source I know, it all depends on whether Law wants to win a Superbowl or not. If he decides that he wants to win a Superbowl, he'll be joining the Chiefs. If he's just looking for the almighty dollar, he'll pick another team.

:spock:

keg in kc
06-21-2005, 09:09 PM

3.4 minus 1.8 would give about 1.6 million to work with towards Law, which is far better than minimum. Could probably even start working on a 2 part signing bonus contract. FWIW, Warfield's contract was signed in '02, so this is year 4.

Word on Law is that there's a good chance he's not going to be ready until October, so signing him to replace a (possibly) suspended Warfield might not make a whole lot of sense. And if the idea is to add depth, then it also doesn't make sense to release one of the two guys on the roster who's a starting calibre player. Call me crazy, but I think I'd like Law, Surtain and Warfield as our top 3 corners a hell of a lot more than Law, McCleon and Surtain.

All theoretical, of course. I don't think for a second Law's coming here.

HemiEd
06-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Ok, what did you do with TJ? :doh!:

Manila-Chief
06-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Yeah!!! God loves the Chiefs enough .... but the catch is He leaves the details up to C.P. so....................................................................................