PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Notebook: Battle hurt,warfield back with 1's, hakim gone

Mr. Laz
06-19-2005, 09:41 AM
not anything new really ... but :shrug:

Posted on Sun, Jun. 19, 2005

CHIEFS NOTEBOOK: Warfield back on first string

Injury to Battle prompts promotion

The Kansas City Star

Eric Warfield got back his starting cornerback job at Chiefs minicamp Saturday, but only by default.

His replacement, Julian Battle, was carted off the practice field because of an injury to his Achilles’ tendon. He will have a magnetic resonance imaging exam to determine the extent, but the Chiefs feared an injury of some consequence.

“It’s a blow because he was in the starting position and he was maturing into a good football player,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “He was doing everything right and working very hard, and his focus was outstanding. He was becoming what we thought he was going to become even a year ago. He was on his way. Right now, I’ve got a pit in my stomach. I get upset about it because it might be serious.”

The Chiefs plugged Warfield back into the starting spot he recently vacated, but he may not be a long-term solution because he faces the likelihood of suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy.

The Chiefs’ only other veteran cornerbacks are Patrick Surtain and Dexter McCleon, so they may have to search for another if Battle’s injury is significant.

■ HAKIM AGREES — WITH SAINTS: Wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim, who jilted the Chiefs last week after accepting their contract offer, agreed to terms Saturday with New Orleans.

“He had two good options,” Hakim’s agent, Bruce Tollner, said. “He was continuing to evaluate those options even though we reached a verbal agreement with the Chiefs.”

Tollner hinted that Hakim took issue with the contract that was presented to him in Kansas City. Asked whether that contract contained the terms the parties settled on beforehand, Tollner said, “At the end of the day it did.”

unlurking
06-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Almost sounds like Vermiel is trying to play Tagliabue.

Wonder if the Chief will file an appeal on behalf of EW if the NFL ever decides on his suspension.

Ugly Duck
06-19-2005, 11:03 AM
The Chiefs plugged Warfield back into the starting spot he recently vacated, but he may not be a long-term solution because he faces the likelihood of suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy.Buncha drug users. Old drug users. Geriatric depends-wearing old drug users. How can you guyz root for that buncha criminals?

Rain Man
06-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Buncha drug users. Old drug users. Geriatric depends-wearing old drug users. How can you guyz root for that buncha criminals?

Eric was drinking ice tea until Janikowski started spiking it without his knowledge.

Where ya been, UD? I haven't seen you around for a while.