PDA

View Full Version : Any web designers out there?

Fire Me Boy!
06-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm putting the feelers out for a redesign of my web site and looking to see if anyone is interested in giving me a quote... the site is looking to go flash, and I'll need some help with content development. If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM. THANKS!

go bowe
06-19-2005, 02:28 PM
do this on a weekday and you'll get a zillion responses...

some of them will even be from web designers... :p :p :p

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Are you talking about doing the whole web site in Flash, or simply adding Flash to it in specific places for specific needs.

I tend to avoid Flash sites in general. Most annoying and it's harder than hell to link to specific things on Flash pages.

Demonpenz
06-19-2005, 02:42 PM
I think i am going to create a profession that is truely the easiest job on earth i will be a webpage critic and type out reviews for webpages and my grading symble will be a smile face :o) if it is good a frown :o( if it is bad and :oD a really big face if it is gooder

Vegas_Dave
06-19-2005, 03:00 PM
The only way that I recommend going Flash is if you already have the type of traffic that you want to the site.

If you dont... or if people are mainly finding you through a search engine, then do NOT go completely Flash. The reason is that most search engines are unable to read and register the text content of your site when it is in Flash.

|Zach|
06-19-2005, 03:07 PM
I do design but don't really mess with flash. I find that it is a great if you are good enough to bring some special functionality to a site then it is good. But if it is just for the flashiness I find a lot of people are turned off by it and its tough with web standards.

Good luck with finding someone to take care of you though...

Ari Chi3fs
06-19-2005, 03:30 PM
I know this one guy, who knows this one guy, who knows ZachKC.

|Zach|
06-19-2005, 03:37 PM
I know this one guy, who knows this one guy, who knows ZachKC.
Heh, you do any flash with your company?

I have been making a few bucks here and there doing sites but I am pretty up front about what I can and can't pull off.

Simplex3
06-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Ah, Flashturbation.

Don't go all flash because you think it's cool. It's not. The sites take forever (comparetively) to load and they don't get indexed well by search engines. When you consider that the average visitor only looks at a few of the pages in your site, then consider that most flash sites are loaded almost entirely at once, it just doesn't make any sense.

Fire Me Boy!
06-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm looking for a little flash to compliment the site... but as a filmmaker, the site needs to be very visual. As for the audience, mostly we have people that are coming straight to us rather than through a search engine.

Ari Chi3fs
06-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Heh, you do any flash with your company?

I have been making a few bucks here and there doing sites but I am pretty up front about what I can and can't pull off.

I actually use a program called SWISH, which is much quicker to code than flash... has hundreds of built in effects. I dig it much better.

Fire Me Boy!
06-19-2005, 03:59 PM
do this on a weekday and you'll get a zillion responses...

some of them will even be from web designers... :p :p :p
Yeah, I'll bump this tomorrow morning.

ZepSinger
06-19-2005, 06:39 PM
I do a ton of web and Flash development; follow the link in my sig for lots of samples.

Z

ChiefsCountry
06-19-2005, 07:35 PM
I like flash only for menu buttons and intros. Other than that flash isn't that great.

jcroft
06-19-2005, 08:33 PM
I actually use a program called SWISH, which is much quicker to code than flash... has hundreds of built in effects. I dig it much better.

SWISH is fine for a quick text effect or something, but it's obviously not a Flash replacement. It has nothing on par with ActionScript or even a tenth of Flash's development tools...

I am also a professional designer, but I focus primarly on web standards and CSS development. I do some Flash, but it sounds like your site may need more of a Flash expert than me.

jcroft
06-19-2005, 08:35 PM
I like flash only for menu buttons and intros. Other than that flash isn't that great.

I'd argue that those are two of the <em>worst</em> uses for Flash.

Menu buttons: why flash? what are you possibly doing in your menus that can't be done with web standards? I've never seen a flash-based menu that couldn't have been duplicated in CSS and DOM scripting very, very easily.

Intro: who wants an intro? These have to be the most annoying thing on the web, possibly second to pop-ups.

Flash is a great tool for adding animation and subtle effects to a site, as well as a rich scripting enviroment for deep applications. It is not, in my opinion, a good enviroment for deploying content, as it is much less compatible, accessible, and usable than web standards.

C-Mac
06-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Even though I'm anti-flash, I can re-create some of the looks with more practical uses.
Let me know if the bidding war is still on.
:D

Fire Me Boy!
06-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Considering no one has given me any bids (or even PM'd me for that matter), I'd say the "bidding war" is still on.

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2005, 06:24 AM
I guess most of what I'm looking for can be accomplished with animated gifs, and I have no problem going that route if that's the best way. I don't know a hell of a lot about it...

As for other things I need, content development is a major part of my needs -- what I have is pretty simple and I'll need ideas to help flesh out the website.

Braincase
06-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Does that make you a Flasher?