PDA

View Full Version : Freddie Mitchell will be a bust

SNR
06-19-2005, 04:33 PM
According to history, our acquisitions from Philadelphia haven't been very good lately

John Welbourne
Shaun Barber
Quinton Caver

Mitchell to follow the same path?

Pants
06-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Barber has not been a bust.

Caver is a backup and has fulfilled his role pretty well IMO.

HolmeZz
06-19-2005, 04:42 PM
What do you mean 'will be'?

NaptownChief
06-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Don't forget Peterson trading a 2nd round pick for Victor Bailey... I think he had 2 career catches in a Chief uni.

chief52
06-19-2005, 04:45 PM
You can only be a bust if something is expected of you. Nothing is expected of Mitchell. If he plays well it is a bonus. If he does not play well you release him. No lose deal here for the Chiefs.

Fruit Ninja
06-19-2005, 04:58 PM
how can signing someone for the league min be a bust? there can only be an upside to it. If he doesnt make it they cut him, NOTHING lost.

Bwana
06-19-2005, 05:30 PM
how can signing someone for the league min be a bust? there can only be an upside to it. If he doesnt make it they cut him, NOTHING lost.

Exactly! There is no down side to signing the guy and a ton up upside if he turns out to be a player. As long as he keeps his mouth shut and snags the ball when it comes his way, we can't go wrong.

DTLB58
06-19-2005, 05:33 PM
What do you mean will be? Considering he was a first round pick and looking at his numbers, HE ALREADY IS!

Marco Polo
06-19-2005, 05:34 PM
But he wasn't OUR first round pick so it doesn't matter IMO.

Rocky
06-19-2005, 05:37 PM
He could be good now that he knows he has to play his ass off for a contract.

RedThat
06-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Barber has not been a bust.

Caver is a backup and has fulfilled his role pretty well IMO.

Agreed. He has been a bit of a disappoinment though.

milkman
06-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Exactly! There is no down side to signing the guy and a ton up upside if he turns out to be a player. As long as he keeps his mouth shut and snags the ball when it comes his way, we can't go wrong.

He's already provided an upside.
His signing has provided us with hours of discussion.

When he's cut, that will provide us the same upside.

Bwana
06-19-2005, 08:53 PM
He's already provided an upside.
His signing has provided us with hours of discussion.

When he's cut, that will provide us the same upside.

He will make the opening day WR crew. Cut my azz.

SNR
06-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I didn't mean bust... but come on... we all expected more from Barber and Welbourne to say the least.

You can add the Hugh Douglas affair to the Troublesome Negotiations with Philadelphia Players list

chief52
06-19-2005, 09:11 PM
He will make the opening day WR crew. Cut my azz.

Do you say that because you think he has played that well in the NFL or because you think he is going to finally improve? Just curios.

My personal feeling is if he wakes up and realizes he is playing for his career and steps up he will be a welcome addition. If he plays as he has played for the Eagles I would hope the Chiefs have enough depth to cut him.

JimNasium
06-19-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm a bust.

Saulbadguy
06-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Is Dick Vermeil a bust?

SNR
06-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Bust

http://www.lamega.com.co/albums/LindsayLohan/09_G.sized.jpg

SNR
06-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Bust

http://www.architecturalantiques.com/Artifacts%20Add%20Cast%20Bust%20$.jpg

JimNasium
06-19-2005, 09:28 PM
bust

http://www.mattscdsingles.com/acatalog/mc%20hammer%20here%20comes.jpg

FRCDFED
06-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Bust

http://www.lamega.com.co/albums/LindsayLohan/09_G.sized.jpgNice bust! We need more busts on this team!!

rocks
06-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Mitchell reminds me of Dalton coming in. Getting no respect and will have to work his ass off to make the team. I hope it works out WELL for him!!

StcChief
06-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Competition is good for everyone. New rookies/veterans.

Hope does well and raises the bar on the team talent.

Everyone should be playing their a$$ off to make it to 53.

Bwana
06-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Do you say that because you think he has played that well in the NFL or because you think he is going to finally improve? Just curios.

My personal feeling is if he wakes up and realizes he is playing for his career and steps up he will be a welcome addition. If he plays as he has played for the Eagles I would hope the Chiefs have enough depth to cut him.

I don't know Chief, call it a gut feeling. I really think he is going to pan out as long as he can keep his yap closed.

chief52
06-19-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't know Chief, call it a gut feeling. I really think he is going to pan out as long as he can keep his yap closed.

Hope you are right. By the way...nice Chris picture. Love swillin' beer in the hills and listening to him.

Bwana
06-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Hope you are right. By the way...nice Chris picture. Love swillin' beer in the hills and listening to him.

Thanks. I got to know him when I was in the radio business. One hell of a good guy when he was around.

jcroft
06-19-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't see how he can be a bad deal for us. It's a no-risk situation. And, given the fact that he IS a talented guy (see first-round pick), there is potential for a huge reward.

To me, there are only about three things that can happen with FredEx:

1. He sucks and has an attitude problem. We cut him and lose nothing.
2. He plays as well as he did in Philly (decent, but never great). He gives us depth and experience, and at the legue minumum. Decent deal for us.
3. He lives up to his first round potential and kicks ass. We get a huge steal at the leauge minimum.

All of those are okay by me.

royr17
06-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Freddie Mitchell is our version of Joe Horn.

chief52
06-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks. I got to know him when I was in the radio business. One hell of a good guy when he was around.

I've got a rodeo buddy that said he crashed at his place one night back in his rodeo days. Great guy who never forgot him or that he crashed on his couch when he needed a place, even when his music took off. Says he was down to earth and stayed that way...here's to him.

Dave Lane
06-20-2005, 12:46 AM
What do you mean will be?

Dave

Count Alex's Losses
06-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Hahaha, that's awesome, lil roy. I hope he will be.

Also, everybody can stop saying all the shit about his big mouth - I think we established the fact that he's just a joker and gets taken out of context by the media. I would rather have had Hakim, but there is nothing but an upside to this signing. Err, unless he goes postal on the team.

Taco John
06-20-2005, 01:13 AM
I think we established the fact that he's just a joker and gets taken out of context by the media.

I think we've established the fact that you would like people to believe that he's just a joker, and not a full on media clown.

He'll bring to your offense what SlyMo did, only without the injuries... Which is to say, he's not a very good fit for your style of offense. I'd be concerned if you had held onto Hakim. He's a much better fit... But I'm delighted that you signed Mitchell. The antics should be fun to watch.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-20-2005, 01:24 AM
I think we've established the fact that you would like people to believe that he's just a joker, and not a full on media clown.

He'll bring to your offense what SlyMo did, only without the injuries... Which is to say, he's not a very good fit for your style of offense. I'd be concerned if you had held onto Hakim. He's a much better fit... But I'm delighted that you signed Mitchell. The antics should be fun to watch.

IIRC, I thought Mitchell was supposed to be a burner? SlyMo was slow.

Taco John
06-20-2005, 02:33 AM
IIRC, I thought Mitchell was supposed to be a burner? SlyMo was slow.

Maybe it's just upstairs that "The People's Champion" is slow...

alanm
06-20-2005, 03:27 AM
Maybe it's just upstairs that "The People's Champion" is slow...
How hard could it be? Green just points and says to Mitchelll.."See those guys over there? Run away from them and then catch the ball when I throw it" It ain't brain surgery TJ. :)

Kraut
06-20-2005, 04:55 AM
Mitchell will be a bust. His play in Philly was below average at best. Maybe in KC he will be reborn but I doubt it. He is for the most part nothing but mouth.

Gravedigger
06-20-2005, 06:18 AM
You needed to bring up past busts from the eagles to prove that freddie mitchell is going to be one?.... shit I could have just told you without you having to go through all that work :p

Ari Chi3fs
06-20-2005, 07:34 AM
http://www.salonweb.com/breastenhancement/quick_bust/bigbottle.jpg

wildcat09
06-20-2005, 07:36 AM
fug freddie mitchel. this signing pisses me off. damnit.

Gaz
06-20-2005, 07:38 AM
I did not want Mitchell in the Red & Gold.

Now that he is here, I hope that he recognizes a last chance when he sees it and modifies his act accordingly.

xoxo~
Gaz
Dealing with disappointment.

the Talking Can
06-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Mitchell is already a bust.

If he continues to suck arse he'll just be "consistant."

Mile High Mania
06-20-2005, 07:50 AM

I doubt he'll get the chance to catch 70-80 passes. It was interesting though to look at Horn's stats since leaving KC though. It's too bad that Alexander and Rison kept him down...

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| 1996 kan | 10 | 1 8 8.0 0 | 2 30 15.0 0 |
| 1997 kan | 8 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 2 65 32.5 0 |
| 1998 kan | 16 | 1 0 0.0 0 | 14 198 14.1 1 |
| 1999 kan | 16 | 2 15 7.5 0 | 35 586 16.7 6 |
| 2000 nor | 16 | 6 18 3.0 0 | 94 1340 14.3 8 |
| 2001 nor | 16 | 1 4 4.0 0 | 83 1265 15.2 9 |
| 2002 nor | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 88 1312 14.9 7 |
| 2003 nor | 15 | 2 15 7.5 0 | 78 973 12.5 10 |
| 2004 nor | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 94 1399 14.9 11 |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| TOTAL | 129 | 13 60 4.6 0 | 490 7168 14.6 52

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2005, 07:52 AM
ROFL

I just thought how funny this would be if we still had Grbac... we'd have TWO people that can't throw it and catch it too!

ROFL

wildcat09
06-20-2005, 07:54 AM
i saw a thing on sportscenter this weekend that compared the career of freddie to just what gonzo did last year. gonzo had more yards, rec, and td's in one year than freddie has had his whole career.

Kerberos
06-20-2005, 08:13 AM
But he wasn't OUR first round pick so it doesn't matter IMO.

"Cough, Ryan Sims, Cough"

We have our share of 1st round busts.

:D

patteeu
06-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Buy low, sell high. Mitchell was a bust for Phili, but the Chiefs got into the market at the right time.

HC_Chief
06-20-2005, 09:11 AM
<I>Will be</i>? How about <i>IS</i>? I do not like this signing at all. It's simply another case of DV & CP slobbering over an ex-Philly/StLoser/UCLA player. :grr:

htismaqe
06-20-2005, 09:29 AM
<I>Will be</i>? How about <i>IS</i>? I do not like this signing at all. It's simply another case of DV & CP slobbering over an ex-Philly/StLoser/UCLA player. :grr:

I honestly don't get this.

I don't see anything to like about this signing. I also don't see anything NOT to like.

He's disposable. I find myself thinking "So what?"

HC_Chief
06-20-2005, 09:33 AM
I don't like it because we're throwing FA money at a never-was, simply because he used to play for Philly and came from UCLA (double whammy).

He is purportedly a "locker room cancer"/"loudmouth", and he has consistently proven to be an "alligator arms" receiver.

I sincerely hope he doesn't make the team (though I know that's unrealistic; again, he came from UCLA and Philly... so he's pretty much guranteed a spot on a DV/CP team) :grr:

TEX
06-20-2005, 09:37 AM
According to history, our acquisitions from Philadelphia haven't been very good lately

John Welbourne
Shaun Barber
Quinton Caver

Mitchell to follow the same path?

Im surprised you failed to mention another Eagle WR named Victor Baily who was the WORST Eagle the Chiefs ever picked up. He cost us a low round draft pick on a draft day trade and never saw the field for KC.... :shake:

Gaz
06-20-2005, 09:42 AM
He is disposable. That is good.

He is a loudmouth who utterly failed to live up to his rap. That is bad.

I did not want his mouth on my team [oh, behave], but now that he is here, I hope that he gets his feces together.

xoxo~
Gaz
Giving the loser loudmouth the benefit of the doubt.

htismaqe
06-20-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't like it because we're throwing FA money at a never-was, simply because he used to play for Philly and came from UCLA (double whammy).

He is purportedly a "locker room cancer"/"loudmouth", and he has consistently proven to be an "alligator arms" receiver.

I sincerely hope he doesn't make the team (though I know that's unrealistic; again, he came from UCLA and Philly... so he's pretty much guranteed a spot on a DV/CP team) :grr:

Firstly, I think the money is so paltry it's irrelevant. I doubt it has much to do with his UCLA ties and has more to do with the fact that he was a 1st-rounder that could be signed for little money. Vermeil liked him when he came out of college.

It's well-documented that he didn't get along with McNabb but all reports is that it was personal. In other words, he wasn't a cancer in the locker room at all, he had a problem with one player. There's other people on that team that don't get along with Donavan, namely Terrell Owens.

And finally, if he plays the way he has in Philly, he won't make the team. It seems pretty black-and-white to me.

HC_Chief
06-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Firstly, I think the money is so paltry it's irrelevant.
<i>Any</i> money spent on a never-was loudmouthed alligator-armed receiver is too much, IMO.

It's well-documented that he didn't get along with McNabb but all reports is that it was personal. In other words, he wasn't a cancer in the locker room at all, he had a problem with one player. There's other people on that team that don't get along with Donavan, namely Terrell Owens.

Only place I've seen that "documented" was in his statement to the KC media on Saturday. I think it's a load of crap either way - you MUST get along w/ your QB, period. The QB is the captain... you play nice or you get run. He got the latter.

My guess <i>why</i> he and McNabb never got along is the fact that he refused to put his body on the line and make the tough grabs over the middle. That's the quickest way to make your qb lose confidence in you: he throws a pass over the middle, but you're afraid to take a rib shot, so you alligator arm it and the pass gets picked. Hmmm, it appears to me that that's exactly what transpired. :grr:

And finally, if he plays the way he has in Philly, he won't make the team. It seems pretty black-and-white to me.

I hope you're correct there, however I have a sinking feeling that DV's loyalty to an ex-Iggle supercedes production. Not to mention CP's ego (i.e., he signed the guy, so he MUST be great! :rolleyes: ) superceds production.

Brock
06-20-2005, 10:15 AM
My guess <i>why</i> he and McNabb never got along is the fact that he refused to put his body on the line and make the tough grabs over the middle.

Everything I've read indicates that Mitchell has always been willing to make the tough catches in traffic. I think you're confusing him with Pinkston.

HC_Chief
06-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Everything I've read indicates that Mitchell has always been willing to make the tough catches in traffic. I think you're confusing him with Pinkston.

Hard not to. They're basically the same player: teh suck.

TEX
06-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Hard not to. They're basically the same player: teh suck.

Now that is only part true. They are not the same type of players - Mitchell is NOT afraid to go over the middle and make the tough catch - but he will drop some easy ones. Pinkston is a scared PU$$Y that will not make the tough catch (Like Morton against the Colts in the playoffs) as well as a guy who will also drop some easy ones. Pinkston $UCKS much worse...

TEX
06-20-2005, 10:32 AM
<i>Any</i> money spent on a never-was loudmouthed alligator-armed receiver is too much, IMO.

Only place I've seen that "documented" was in his statement to the KC media on Saturday. I think it's a load of crap either way - you MUST get along w/ your QB, period. The QB is the captain... you play nice or you get run. He got the latter.

My guess <i>why</i> he and McNabb never got along is the fact that he refused to put his body on the line and make the tough grabs over the middle. That's the quickest way to make your qb lose confidence in you: he throws a pass over the middle, but you're afraid to take a rib shot, so you alligator arm it and the pass gets picked. Hmmm, it appears to me that that's exactly what transpired. :grr:

I hope you're correct there, however I have a sinking feeling that DV's loyalty to an ex-Iggle supercedes production. Not to mention CP's ego (i.e., he signed the guy, so he MUST be great! :rolleyes: ) superceds production.

You're incorrect. Mitchell had no problem putting his body on the line to make the tough catch. He had a problem cause McNabb had tunnel vision for Owens and didn't throw Mitchell's way.

HC_Chief
06-20-2005, 10:34 AM
You're incorrect. Mitchell had no problem putting his body on the line to make the tough catch. He had a problem cause McNabb had tunnel vision for Owens and didn't throw Mitchell's way.

Last year was Owens' first and only year in Philly. That excuse does not and cannot apply to the previous three seasons of next-to-nothing "productivity".

Mitchell sucks. He has sucked, and I am not going to assume he'll miraculously stop sucking simply because he switched jerseys.

Luzap
06-20-2005, 10:39 AM
I think this is a good signing for one reason, and one reason only ~ the more competition we have in TC, the better all our receivers will be.

I don't see why anyone would criticize DV for this.

fill our roster with former first day picks and let the chips fall...

Chiefnj
06-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Now that is only part true. They are not the same type of players - Mitchell is NOT afraid to go over the middle and make the tough catch - but he will drop some easy ones. Pinkston is a scared PU$$Y that will not make the tough catch (Like Morton against the Colts in the playoffs) as well as a guy who will also drop some easy ones. Pinkston $UCKS much worse...

But yet Pinkston has been able to beat out Mitchell time and time again.

Cochise
06-20-2005, 10:59 AM
This thread will be a bust.

htismaqe
06-20-2005, 12:26 PM
I think this is a good signing for one reason, and one reason only ~ the more competition we have in TC, the better all our receivers will be.

I don't see why anyone would criticize DV for this.

fill our roster with former first day picks and let the chips fall...

Bingo.

penguinz
06-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Hw has a good chance of turning his career around with the Chiefs. He has to prove himself so he will be putting in the extra effort to do so. He also is in an offense now that spreads the ball around.

patteeu
06-20-2005, 12:43 PM

John Welbourne says he and most of the rest of the team liked Mitchell. Apparently Mitchell was just a McNabb cancer.

patteeu
06-20-2005, 12:45 PM

Maybe McNabb is the lockerroom cancer.

patteeu
06-20-2005, 12:46 PM
If he doesn't make the team, they've lost little. If he does make the team, they've improved the team (even if he never becomes a superstar). What's not to like?

chiefkdawg
06-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Mitchell sucks. He has sucked, and I am not going to assume he'll miraculously stop sucking simply because he switched jerseys.
ROFL
Can I use that as my signature?

Pants
06-20-2005, 01:03 PM
But yet Pinkston has been able to beat out Mitchell time and time again.

Joe Horn couldn't beat out anyone on our roster, remember?

Chiefnj
06-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Joe Horn couldn't beat out anyone on our roster, remember?

Horn was a later round project who was ascending.

'97 - 2 receptions for 65 yards and 0 TD.
'98 - 14 receptions for 198 yards and 1 TD.
'99 - 35 receptions for 586 yards and 6 TD.

HC_Chief
06-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Horn was a later round project who was ascending.

He was also the fastest player on the team.
Marty was such a phucktard when it came to personnel.

buddha
06-20-2005, 02:32 PM

We should be so lucky! Joe Horn was just coming into his own as a WR when he signed with NO. You could tell he was about to become a really good receiver...not so with Mitchell. He has had plenty of chances to become a legit 2nd receiver, let alone a go to guy. I think he's a lousy pick up and I hope he proves me wrong.