PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else watch the United States Grand Prix "Race" today?

Donger
06-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Wow. What a f*cking farce.

Reaper16
06-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes. It was a bad joke. The fans in attendace were livid! I sure as Hell would be too if I had paid money to get in only to watch 8 cars compete.

Donger
06-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Yes. It was a bad joke. The fans in attendace were livid! I sure as Hell would be too if I had paid money to get in only to watch 8 cars compete.

There were only six.

Miles
06-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Six cars on a circle track. Bet that was exciting.

Donger
06-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Six cars on a circle track. Bet that was exciting.

Six cars is accurate. But that course/track isn't a circle or oval.

Miles
06-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Six cars is accurate. But that course/track isn't a circle or oval.

Didnt realize they fixed the track at Indy up specifically for F1. Looks like it would have been cool if not for the six car BS. Any reason why there were so few?

Donger
06-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Didnt realize they fixed the track at Indy up specifically for F1. Looks like it would have been cool if not for the six car BS. Any reason why there were so few?

All of the Michelin-clad teams boycotted.

Baby Lee
06-19-2005, 06:05 PM
All of the Michelin-clad teams boycotted.
Why are people using the term boycotted?
My understanding is that Michelin said "this batch of tires blow, use them and die a fiery death at 220 MPH."

ragedogg69
06-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Just another reason why I am glad I'm a Goodyear man.

Demonpenz
06-19-2005, 06:13 PM
this boycott will likely be the end of f1 in the states

Donger
06-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Why are people using the term boycotted?
My understanding is that Michelin said "this batch of tires blow, use them and die a fiery death at 220 MPH."

Yes, a strange choice of words indeed. Probably F1's overinflated sense of importance.

The sad part is, this may be the end of F1's run in the US.

Demonpenz
06-19-2005, 06:14 PM
EXTRA: Michelin Teams Boycott USGP
Written by: Cassio Cortes Indianapolis, Ind. – 6/19/2005

The FIA's refusal to put up a chicane on Turn 13 (above) means only Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi are racing at Indianapolis. (LAT Photo)

In an incident that could damage beyond repair Formula 1's image in the United States - and perhaps worldwide - the 14 cars equipped with Michelin tires parked on the formation lap of the USGP at Indy this Sunday.

Under the booing of 100,000+ paying customers, only the cars of Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi started as the red lights went off. The Renault, McLaren, Toyota, BAR, Sauber and Red Bull teams withdrew from competition.

“The letter from Michelin said it was not safe to race under this configuration," said Renault team boss Flavio Briatore. "We cannot put our drivers’ safety at risk.”

"We didn't have a choice," added BAR sporting director Gil de Ferran. "Unfortunately, it was impossible to race, and it was a decision that was actually outside our hands.

"It's a very sad, hard situation. I've never lived anything like this in all my career in racing," he added.

"A chicane was necessary for the race to take place," McLaren team principal Ron Dennis summarized.

Demonpenz
06-19-2005, 06:15 PM
it was probably a bad move pr wise to boycott the race

Donger
06-19-2005, 06:16 PM
I actually read on some British F1 site that Michelin overnighted new tires and the FIA said that the teams could run them if they started from the back of the pack. WHich ended up being 7th through 22nd place.

If so, the teams are responsible for this farce (and Michelin, of course).

Demonpenz
06-19-2005, 06:18 PM
they were pissed because they didn't throw in another chicane

Baby Lee
06-19-2005, 06:19 PM
they were pissed because they didn't throw in another chicane
To slow down the race so their shitty tires didn't fly of the rims.

unlurking
06-19-2005, 06:21 PM
What is a chicane?

Most of my racing is clips of crashes on cops.

Demonpenz
06-19-2005, 06:23 PM
chicane is alittle right left quick turn ususally thrown in to keep speeds down

unlurking
06-19-2005, 06:40 PM
thanks

Hammock Parties
06-19-2005, 07:01 PM

I thought it was done to warm the tires up.

dtebbe
06-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I was there, and it pretty much sucked. We stuck around expecting a riot, but nothing much happend.

As far as a chicane, let's just say AJ Foyt's cars at the 500 this year were rolling chicanes. :)

That being said, I'd still be there next year, because I just love the whole F1 experience.

DT

wasi
06-19-2005, 09:22 PM
To slow down the race so their shitty tires didn't fly of the rims.

Actually, Michelin tires have been much better this season.
The latest speculation about why Bridgestone was able to provide a safe tyre was the fact that Firestone (it's sister company) constructs tyres for Indy cars and was able to have info that Michelin was not able to generate. The problem at the Indy track is the banked oval turn, the only one seen in F1 (in races or testing). This type of corner generates some funky sort of G-forces that tore apart the area connecting the tread and the wall of the Michelins.

On a related side note: Michelin equipped cars, raced on an American racing team (name I can't remember now) won the famous LeMans 24h race today.

Donger
06-19-2005, 09:29 PM
I was there, and it pretty much sucked. We stuck around expecting a riot, but nothing much happend.

As far as a chicane, let's just say AJ Foyt's cars at the 500 this year were rolling chicanes. :)

That being said, I'd still be there next year, because I just love the whole F1 experience.

DT

Sorry to hear you were there. Are you going to try and get a refund?

dtebbe
06-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Sorry to hear you were there. Are you going to try and get a refund?

I am mixed on that, I'm not a big Tony George fan, but the track really was not at fault at all in this situation. We've been going every year since the race came back, and we have the best seats in the house. We really enjoy the whole weekend, it's usually a great show. I am hoping they offer some sort of deal on renewals, assuming there is going to be a race next year. If they do offer a refund I will gladly accept it, but I don't plan on bugging them about it. IMS spent around $20 million of thier own money to get that event there, and the facility is top notch, so as a business owner myself I feel for them.

That being said, I have an itemized bill for my weekend that I'm sending to Michelin USA for my weekend that didn't happen. I also will NEVER buy another Michelin tire EVER in my life. I am a big german car nut, and I've always ran michelins on my cars, but now it looks like Dunlop will probably be getting the nod. My E55 needs tires now, so that will be about $1000 I won't be spending on Michelin tires.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just one more reason to hate those french fuc*ers!

On a side note, my buddy and I decided yesterday at the race what needed to be done was to put sprinklers in turn 12 and 13 to slow the cars down. The standard grooved tires would work fine, and that would be a cheap and easy way to slow the cars without changing the race course. :)

DT

ptlyon
06-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Had a coworker that went too. He doesn't follow it that much, but had free tix and a free private jet flight there, so he went. He said it was a joke. He didn't really care but the guys he went with follow the series pretty close I guess and they were ticked off.

He said he had a good time anyway.