PDA

View Full Version : Q&A w/Dick Vermeil June 19th...

TRR
06-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Jun 19, 2005, 1:13:15 PM

Q: What was the ceremony involving your wife at midfield?

DICK VERMEIL: Thanking her for the team dinners and that stuff.

Q: How is Julian Battle?

VERMEIL: Hes going to be operated on. He popped his Achilles tendon and hes lost for the year.

Q: What are you going to do? Are you going to look outside?

VERMEIL: I dont know yet. Well look, but I dont know whats out there. Well also more deeply evaluate those young people we have. We have time. Were not going to panic.

Q: That is a shock to you considering he was practicing with the first team. Isnt this a very big concern to you?

VERMEIL: Im more concerned about him because hes been here for two years and was going into his third year and was just starting to find out what it takes to be a pro football player. Weve known for a long time that he has the ability to be one and he was really demonstrating that all through these OTAs and mini-camp. Its part of the game.

Q: How does the depth chart look now as a result of the injury?

VERMEIL: Dexter McCleon will be healthy and ready to go. Benny Sapp. Weve got some other kids who are doing a good job. All that will be better evaluated and determined once we get into training camp.

Q: If Eric Warfield were unavailable for a certain period of time would Dexter be the guy?

VERMEIL: I think Dexter is competitive to be a starter anyway.

Q: What about moving William Bartee back?

VERMEIL: That didnt enter my mind. Hes done such a good job at safety Id hate to screw him up.

Q: Are you going into training camp with the guys you have now?

VERMEIL: Were going with the guys we have right now. Im very pleased with this group; its the best group Ive had. Its a great group of young kids and well keep them here for another week of rookie camp. But Im pleased with them and theyve come a long ways. The coaches have done a real good job.

Q: This is the final practice of the off-season program before camp. Any messages for the players?

VERMEIL: Were going up and have a meeting right now, mainly about what they do between now and training camp. Some of them we lose contact with as of tomorrow. Its important they keep doing the right things right.

Q: Is this a group you have to keep close reins on?

VERMEIL: No, I trust them. But some guys are more mature than others. A pro football player should never ever lose his job because someone else is in better condition.

Q: As you go into camp is there one thing or one person you can look at that surprised you?

VERMEIL: I was concerned about the older tackle (Willie Roaf). I was concerned about Brian Waters and Will Shields, but I have less concerns. Im amazed at Willie Roaf, absolutely amazed at what hes done the last three days. He has been working out and lifting weights and running. He looks every bit as explosive and powerful these last three days as he did at any time during the season last year. His hard work is paying off for him and I think he can play left tackle every bit as well as he did last year and hes a year older. Thats exciting to me. I think its exciting for him.

Brian Waters said I could trust that he would be ready to go and I trust him. I trust him and know that Will Shields will be. I feel a little bit better about the overall offensive line. That was one of my concerns from an offensive standpoint.

Right now, defensively I think its just the one corner position.

Q: Middle linebacker isnt?

VERMEIL: Right now it isnt. Its awfully good right now.

Q: Do you expect Mike Maslowski back for training camp?

VERMEIL: Yes, I do expect him to be back and to be competitive. I think its going to be tough for all the guys. Im meeting with the guys who have been rehabbing the whole off-season today separate. Its tough when you lose all that time and all these other people come in. But thats the National Football League. Its almost unsympathetic because it doesnt stand still and wait for you. It keeps going every day. Same thing for old coaches.

Q: Has Samie Parker showed you enough to be your second wide receiver?

VERMEIL: I think he can be, but this group is going to be competitive. I like what Ive seen from the kids in the World League coming back. Jeris McIntryre and John Booth have made big time catches. Now, weve got Mitchell here and Craphonso has really improved. Were going to have more people who can run and catch than weve ever had here.

chop
06-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Sounds like Maslowski is a goner unless he just outclasses the other MLB's.

FRCDFED
06-19-2005, 09:30 PM
I thought Battle had the size and ability to be a solid CB. It is sad, like Vermeil said....the NFL won't wait for him! That injury probably just cost him his career.

rocks
06-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Chop, I think you are right. Maz is a hell of a guy but just not sure if he has the speed any more?

C-Mac
06-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Sounds like Maslowski is a goner unless he just outclasses the other MLB's.

I for one, is still pulling for Maz and I still think he can be an asset to this team.

FRCDFED
06-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I for one, is still pulling for Maz and I still think he can be an asset to this team.Maz has a lot of heart! Unfortunately it takes more than that in this league. The bright side is that if he makes it then it will be because he outplayed the others!

Reaper16
06-19-2005, 11:57 PM
I like Maz' heart and character, but if he ends up making the team, then we're worse off than we thought.

Tuckdaddy
06-20-2005, 12:16 AM
MAZ! THE RETURN!

CoMoChief
06-20-2005, 01:07 AM
Doesnt it just make you laugh when you read some of the comments DV makes about the defense. You can totally tell that DV doesnt know shit about defense. Starting McBurnon opposite of Surtain is the worst idea I have heard all offseason, or maybe even in the history of football. I guess DV forgot about last season when McBurnon did start. He was tortured against every team that was in the AFC South. He doesnt have any speed, size, or ball hawking ability. I was all for cutting this guy.

Start Hodge in camp, hes bigger and faster than McBurnon. I havent really heard anything on Benny Sapp, but I guaranteehe's better than McBurnon. Other than that I am all for Law or Bobby Taylor coming in.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-20-2005, 01:20 AM
If we don't sign a vet CB, I'm all for throwing Hodge to the wolves.

Either him, or have Super Scanlon play CB.

CoMoChief
06-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Rich Scanlon is a pussy. No way he starts at MLB this year. He will play SP in place of Monty. Boomer will win the MLB job.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Rich Scanlon is a pussy. No way he starts at MLB this year. He will play SP in place of Monty. Boomer will win the MLB job.

Kiss your wife and family goodbye, the Roys are on the way to kill you as we speak.

ROYC75
06-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Does anybody know if Casey Clausen has been released or not yet ???

ROYC75
06-20-2005, 04:03 AM
Dear Vermeil,

The cornerback available are Ashley Ambrose, Aaron Beasley, Terrell Buckley, Keyou Craver, Pat Dennis, Artrell Hawkins, Ty Law, Bobby Taylor, and DeWayne Washington.

Sincerely, Roy Caswell

nmt1
06-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Doesnt it just make you laugh when you read some of the comments DV makes about the defense. You can totally tell that DV doesnt know shit about defense. Starting McBurnon opposite of Surtain is the worst idea I have heard all offseason, or maybe even in the history of football. I guess DV forgot about last season when McBurnon did start. He was tortured against every team that was in the AFC South. He doesnt have any speed, size, or ball hawking ability. I was all for cutting this guy.

Start Hodge in camp, hes bigger and faster than McBurnon. I havent really heard anything on Benny Sapp, but I guaranteehe's better than McBurnon. Other than that I am all for Law or Bobby Taylor coming in.

Yeah, if Vermiel would've just listened to you I'm sure we'd have had a top 5 defense last season.

the Talking Can
06-20-2005, 07:17 AM
imagine a scenario where we keep Mitchell and expose Crap-ho to the practice squad....hello Lilja.....

htismaqe
06-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Q: What about moving William Bartee back?

VERMEIL: That didnt enter my mind. Hes done such a good job at safety Id hate to screw him up.

Excellent, excellent.

And I'm beginning to this BSPimpDude is full-on retarded.

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 10:04 AM
And I'm beginning to this BSPimpDude is full-on retarded.Beginning?

I guess grass really does kill brain cells if you're only getting that now.

BigChiefFan
06-20-2005, 10:17 AM
I for one, is still pulling for Maz and I still think he can be an asset to this team.
I think it's admirable to see Maslowski sticking it out, but at practice the other day, He just stood around. Doesn't look good for Mad Dog.