PDA

View Full Version : musty smell in basement/ help

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Anybody know of any good ideas for keeping this under control. I have a fan and a dehumidifier, but the musty smell gets pretty bad sometimes.

My basement is half finished and my tv room is down there, so I am down there alot. I have 3 x 3 square holes in my east basement walls. These lead to a small 3w x 5h x 7 length area with a dier bottom. Dont know what this is. Seems this is where the musty smell originates from. I have covered the wholes with duct tape and plastic and it cuts down on the smell considerably, but I dont think leaving it closed up long term is a good idea due to mold and such.

I think it is related to humidity but not sure. Also kitchen is directly above and I would hate to force the smell up through small openings under sink to main floor.

Anyway anbody have experience with battling this nasty smell. I have a nice house that I try and take care of, but this is an embarrasing odor that really is starting to piss me off. Thanks,

Here is a picture to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-19-2005, 11:02 PM
The yellow shows the square holes and the pink shows the approximate size of the " crawlspace " area. It is about 4 foot deep also.

PastorMikH
06-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Find out how water is getting into the crawlspace. Could be a drainage problem where water is seaping from outside from the rain - in which case you will need to find where it is coming in, patch the foundation and build up the dirt around that area. It could also be from leaky plumbing. If that is the case, you need to fix whatever is leaking.

Get that area dry and it will cut down on the mold and such that is causing the musty smell.

If one of those two don't fix it, I don't have an answer.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks. I will raise the foundation around the wall with more dirt. It also has a flower bed next to the wall.