PDA

View Full Version : My big question who do we line up at 5 wide?

Dave Lane
06-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Losing Battle to me is not the end of the road. But it did get me thinking. If I was the other teams OC I'd line up a lot in the 5 wide reciever looks and see who the Chiefs would be able to field to stop them. Especially with Warfield out for a possible 4 games what does Gunter do? Other than a good pass rush, this scares the begezus out of me.

So who do you line up as nickle, dime and (quarter?) CBs?

Dave

Spicy McHaggis
06-20-2005, 12:14 PM
If we have Warfield -

Surtain - starter
Warfield - starter
McCleon - .05
Sapp - .10
Woods - as 5th corner

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 12:27 PM
5 Wide isn't easily done.

1. You need to have 5 decent receivers on your team. Not many teams have that. Basically, what's happening is the team is saying "My WR corps is much deeper than your CB corp". Most teams have only 3 WRs who are really much good.

2. You need to have a decent OL to make it work. There ain't going to be any TE help, RB help, chip blocks or anything else. It's your 5 against whatever the defense throws.

3. You need a QB who has excellent field vision, quick release, and knowledge of the defense. With so many routes going on and a pass-blocking situation that isn't likely to hold up for too long, a quick decision is imperative.

For whatever it's worth...

Spicy McHaggis
06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
5 Wide isn't easily done.

1. You need to have 5 decent receivers on your team. Not many teams have that. Basically, what's happening is the team is saying "My WR corps is much deeper than your CB corp". Most teams have only 3 WRs who are really much good.

2. You need to have a decent OL to make it work. There ain't going to be any TE help, RB help, chip blocks or anything else. It's your 5 against whatever the defense throws.

3. You need a QB who has excellent field vision, quick release, and knowledge of the defense. With so many routes going on and a pass-blocking situation that isn't likely to hold up for too long, a quick decision is imperative.

For whatever it's worth...

True, but ironically the first thought that came to my mind when Lane asked the question was "We don't play the Pats in the first four games."

If anyone would do it to us, it would be Belichick.

trndobrd
06-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Surtain
Warfield
Sapp
McCleon
Roaf

Seriously, just once I would like to see someone line up their biggest dude over a 5'8" #4 reciever and just shove him to the ground. Hell, the amount of time it would take for the receiver to run clear around him would be enough to disrupt the timing.

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 12:54 PM
True, but ironically the first thought that came to my mind when Lane asked the question was "We don't play the Pats in the first four games."

If anyone would do it to us, it would be Belichick.

You are correct sir. Team depth is one of Belichick's hallmarks, and he can (and has) gone 5 wide before. If he thinks that's the best matchup, you can bet your butt that's what he'll do.

5 wide is especially effective against teams that have strong LB corps and/or a slow secondary with poor depth.

I should have noted that a team can go "5 wide" by splitting a TE out as a slot receiver sometimes, so you don't HAVE to have 5 speedy little WRs who are all good.

Woodrow Call
06-20-2005, 01:32 PM
With Warfield

Surtain
Warfield
McCleon
Sapp
Hodge/Perkins

W/O Warfield

Surtain
McCleon
Sapp
Hodge
Perkins

Chiefnj
06-20-2005, 01:35 PM
With Bell and Johnson's speed and power I can't imagine too many QB's would go 5 wide more than once. He might complete that first pass, but he should take a good shot to the ribs that causes some Grbac flinchiness for the rest of the game.

go bowe
06-20-2005, 02:07 PM
who's perkins?

are hodge (rookie), sapp (second year undrafted fa, iirc) and perkins (undrafted free agent rookie) going to be able to handle the #2, 3, 4, and 5 cb spots?

or even with warfield, they still need to cover the 3, 4 and 5 spots (assuming mccleon is cut or benched)...

i guess they could use bartee as the number 4 or 5 cb if they have to...

TRR
06-20-2005, 02:09 PM
You are correct sir. Team depth is one of Belichick's hallmarks, and he can (and has) gone 5 wide before. If he thinks that's the best matchup, you can bet your butt that's what he'll do.

5 wide is especially effective against teams that have strong LB corps and/or a slow secondary with poor depth.

I should have noted that a team can go "5 wide" by splitting a TE out as a slot receiver sometimes, so you don't HAVE to have 5 speedy little WRs who are all good.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

ct
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Surtain, McCleon, Knight, Wesley, Woods, with Bartee as the dimebag

ct
06-20-2005, 02:13 PM

Absolutely!! Indy, Minnesota, Oakland, Denver each can go 5-wide with a TE as 1 of them, maybe 2.

Hoover
KC Should use a 5 Wide

Kennison, Parker, Dante
Tomy G, Kris Wilson

Hoover
Who is this Tomy I'm talking about? :D

ct
With Warfield

Surtain
Warfield
McCleon
Sapp
Hodge/Perkins

W/O Warfield

Surtain
McCleon
Sapp
Hodge
Perkins

Oh man Perkins absolutely blows! This guy has no shot in the NFL!

TRR
06-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Oh man Perkins absolutely blows! This guy has no shot in the NFL!

Justin Perkins has a pretty impressive resume. I'm not sure why he went undrafted. He's 5'11, 185, and was a Preseason first team pick at UCONN, along with Pac Man Jones. He had a very good Junior and Senior season at UCONN. I believe he had 6 INT's as a Junior and 5 INT's and 30+ tackles as a Senior. He runs a 4.46 in the 40 yard dash. I know a lot of draft boards rated him ahead of Alphonso Hodge, and in their top 100 players.

TRR
06-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Justin Perkins...

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/MFootball/2004/09/11/perkins,%20justin.jpg http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/MFootball/2003/10/04/gallery/LC2.jpg

the Talking Can
06-20-2005, 02:42 PM
my 5 would be:

Scanlon
Scanlon
Scanlon
Scanlon
Scanlon

Dave Lane
06-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Is anyone worried how this list digresses? Ugghh pretty scary stuff and if we play NE in the playoffs with this current crew it could be a track meet all day.

God I'd like to have a Ty Law security blanket.

Dave

ct
06-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Justin Perkins has a pretty impressive resume. I'm not sure why he went undrafted. He's 5'11, 185, and was a Preseason first team pick at UCONN, along with Pac Man Jones. He had a very good Junior and Senior season at UCONN. I believe he had 6 INT's as a Junior and 5 INT's and 30+ tackles as a Senior. He runs a 4.46 in the 40 yard dash. I know a lot of draft boards rated him ahead of Alphonso Hodge, and in their top 100 players.

Did you go the the mini-camp? Didn't think so...

LTownChief
06-20-2005, 03:16 PM
against 5 wide:

Surtain
Warfield
McCleon
Bartee or Woods
Derrick Johnson

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Did you go the the mini-camp? Didn't think so...Really. Dude took "toast" to a whole new level. He made Alphonso Hodge look good.

TRR
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Really. Dude took "toast" to a whole new level. He made Alphonso Hodge look good.

It's mini camp. Who the hell cares? I heard Patrick Surtain looked awful as well. Does that mean he sucks?

Give me a break...

ROYC75
06-20-2005, 03:25 PM
my 5 would be:

Scanlon
Scanlon
Scanlon
Scanlon
Scanlon

Oh nice....... but he isn't that talented. ROFL

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 03:32 PM
It's mini camp. Who the hell cares? I heard Patrick Surtain looked awful as well. Does that mean he sucks?Testy.

I guess I should apologize for daring to say something perpendicular to your obviously superior and omnipotent football acumen, you pigskin god, you. I now see the error of my ways and declare Justin "DB Jesus" Perkins the best thing since sliced cheese and a permanent no-contest bid to the pro bowl.

As I see it (and I was there) if Perkins can't hang with the likes of John Booth and Nathanial Curry in one-on-one drills (and he couldn't) then I don't know why I should expect to see him much in 2005. I wouldn't say he'll 'never' make it in the NFL, but he definitely looked like a project from where I was sitting. And I do think you can tell that much from mini-camp.

But, hey, what do I know.

ct
06-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Testy.

I guess I should apologize for daring to say something perpendicular to your obviously superior and omnipotent football acumen, you pigskin god, you. I now see the error of my ways and declare Justin "DB Jesus" Perkins the best thing since sliced cheese and a permanent no-contest bid to the pro bowl.

As I see it (and I was there) if Perkins can't hang with the likes of John Booth and Nathanial Curry in one-on-one drills (and he couldn't) then I don't know why I should expect to see him much in 2005. I wouldn't say he'll 'never' make it in the NFL, but he definitely looked like a project from where I was sitting. And I do think you can tell that much from mini-camp.

But, hey, what do I know.

The only guy who looked worse than Perkins was Canonico, who will be the 1st guy getting a pink slip.

Dave Lane
06-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Actually Warfield was the only CB I saw that was running tight coverage and looked to make any plays. Surtain looked lost and pretty pitiful in 1 on 1s. In 11 on 11 he looked fine though.

Dave

JakeT
06-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Not really that worried about 5 wide sets. Depending on yardage I assume the Chiefs with go with a typical cover 2 or cover 3 with the dime package. With gun maybe they'll even stay in the nickel and send Bell or Johnson -- good luck getting much more than a 7 yard pass and I hope the QB gets up alright -- we'll see how many times this happens in a game my guess not many.

KChiefs1
06-21-2005, 09:10 AM
If the Chiefs are relying on Perkins to help them the first four games.....oh I won't go there again!

Saulbadguy
06-21-2005, 09:11 AM
It only works on Madden. Don't worry.

TRR
06-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Just making the point that Perkins had a solid career at UCONN, and that the coaching staff really likes him.

I just cringe when a poster attends ONE mini camp practice in shorts and T's, and declares a player useless. It's almost laughable, regardless if Perkins is good or not.