PDA

View Full Version : Huber and Gobble called up

Sure-Oz
06-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Sweeney and Burgos to the DL. I heard on 810

I am excited to see Huber but Gobble?? what would he do middle relief??? I think is era is like 6 too, oh well we will see, i hope burgos injury isnt serious, im not sure what it is.

UPDATE=Now they are saying its Affeldt to the DL, Burgos out 4-5 days, thats good and bad news, wtf is wrong with affeldt, besides his ability to throw strikes lately.

ChiTown
06-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Yeah

Gobble makes no sense at all, unless we are going to put him in Middle Relief and let Wood take Burgos spot.......I dunno

shakesthecat
06-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Glad to see Huber get the call. Thank gawd Grimace is on injury rehab.

I wish someone could explain WTF happened to Gobble.
The only reason I can see bringing him back is because he's a lefty.

Oh well, at least it wasn't Colt Griffin.

siberian khatru
06-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Justin Huber at Wichita: .332/.420/.517

:drool:

Just hope he can smack a few more extra-base hits than Groundball Grimace did.

siberian khatru
06-20-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm also looking forward to Rob Neyer complaining once again about the Royals calling up another AA prospect instead of acquiring a AAA veteran like Roberto Petagine.

beavis
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Been wanting Huber up here all year, this is sweet. I gotta wonder too if this isn't some kind of a trial run in case they decide to unload Sweeney.

I think Gobble is a trade audition. Apparently he's raised his strikeout numbers. I think his ERA is lower now that it was too. Maybe his last chance to latch on here.

Cochise
06-20-2005, 01:28 PM
HuberNextHamelin

duncan_idaho
06-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Let's hope Huber hits... this is actually pretty funny because I was thinking about the Royals' future today... if things work out, here's what I think they might be working with 2 years from now... and if you're wondering, I did it to determine if there was any hope. It made me feel better - maybe it'll help other Royals' fans.

2007 Projections, ala Shawn

Rotation:
Greinke
Bautista
Howell
Hernandez
TBA received through trade of Mike Sweeney in 05 or 06

Bullpen:
MacDougal (re-signed after 06)
Burgos
Sisco
Nunez

Lineup

DeJesus CF
Alex Gordon RF/1B
Mark Teahen 3B
Kevin Mench LF (obtained through 05 trade for Affeldt and minor league OF)
Justin Huber 1B/DH
Mitch Maier/Billy Butler DH/RF
Berroa SS (re-signed after 06)
Buck C
Gotay 2B

Bench:
Costa (could start in OF if Maier or Butler is not ready)

It's a young group of players coming into their prime... success would be HIGHLY dependent on the development of Greinke and Howell. Nice mix in lineup of youngsters and vets still in their prime. The trades of Sweeney and Affeldt are the key... JA is not happy as a setup man, which seems to be his determined role here, and the Rangers need another lefty in their pen to challenge this year. We all know how much the Royals covet Mench, and the Rangers have plenty of offense and some good young outfielders. So I think the time could be right for this trade... Sweeney would have to net an almost-ready pitcher and a prospect with some pop.

Best thing of all: this team would be free-agency free until after the next season.

Thoughts?

Bowser
06-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Been wanting Huber up here all year, this is sweet. I gotta wonder too if this isn't some kind of a trial run in case they decide to unload Sweeney.

I think Gobble is a trade audition. Apparently he's raised his strikeout numbers. I think his ERA is lower now that it was too. Maybe his last chance to latch on here.

The last article I read about Gobble said he was getting knocked around pretty good in Omaha.

penguinz
06-20-2005, 01:47 PM
You are way off on that.

ChiTown
06-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Let's hope Huber hits... this is actually pretty funny because I was thinking about the Royals' future today... if things work out, here's what I think they might be working with 2 years from now... and if you're wondering, I did it to determine if there was any hope. It made me feel better - maybe it'll help other Royals' fans.

2007 Projections, ala Shawn

Rotation:
Greinke
Bautista
Howell
Hernandez
TBA received through trade of Mike Sweeney in 05 or 06

Bullpen:
MacDougal (re-signed after 06)
Burgos
Sisco
Nunez

Lineup

DeJesus CF
Alex Gordon RF/1B
Mark Teahen 3B
Kevin Mench LF (obtained through 05 trade for Affeldt and minor league OF)
Justin Huber 1B/DH
Mitch Maier/Billy Butler DH/RF
Berroa SS (re-signed after 06)
Buck C
Gotay 2B

Bench:
Costa (could start in OF if Maier or Butler is not ready)

It's a young group of players coming into their prime... success would be HIGHLY dependent on the development of Greinke and Howell. Nice mix in lineup of youngsters and vets still in their prime. The trades of Sweeney and Affeldt are the key... JA is not happy as a setup man, which seems to be his determined role here, and the Rangers need another lefty in their pen to challenge this year. We all know how much the Royals covet Mench, and the Rangers have plenty of offense and some good young outfielders. So I think the time could be right for this trade... Sweeney would have to net an almost-ready pitcher and a prospect with some pop.

Best thing of all: this team would be free-agency free until after the next season.

Thoughts?

Rotation addition:

Luis Cota. Kid has got the goods. He's a 19 yr old right hander with a better than 2:1 K to BB ratio. He's 2-3 with a 2.48 ERA. If he keeps the progress, he should be in Wichita by the end of the year, and pushing for a spot in the rotation by 2006. The Royals have got some excellent young arms in the system.

duncan_idaho
06-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Things are definitely less hopeless than most columnists who make fun of the Royals realize...

I like the depth at the outfield spots... with Huber, Costa, Butler, Maier, possibly Gordon, Lubanski, Diaz, etc. they should be able to find at least one above-average corner outfielder and hopefully two.

That young bullpen excites me...

I don't how reasonable the Mench/Affedlt and spare part trade is, but it would open a spot for Adrian Gonzalez in the Texas outfield. And they have plenty of offense with Texeira, Soriano, Young and Blalcok... a potentially dominant lefty in their pen would help them a lot.

And I'd hope the Royals can get a starter at least good enough to be a No. 5 for Sweeney...

Oxford
06-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Gobble was probably on the 40-man roster, and had options left. Jeff George is out of options and cannot be recalled and then sent down without exposing him to waivers (he would probably not merit a waiver claim).

This may be a showcase for a trade (in the event he performs well), or to determine if he can replace someone who is likely to be traded. Affeldt is on a one-year contract and headed for arbitration again so he may be the odd-man-out.

Ken Harvey is the one who should be worrying. Huber is Harvey's replacement, Sweeney is going nowhere due to his 11 million contract.
I doubt Harvey is with the club next year, he'll be traded to a NL team that needs a singles-hitting 1st baseman.

ChiefsFire
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Gobble was probably on the 40-man roster, and had options left. Jeff George is out of options and cannot be recalled and then sent down without exposing him to waivers (he would probably not merit a waiver claim).

This may be a showcase for a trade (in the event he performs well), or to determine if he can replace someone who is likely to be traded. Affeldt is on a one-year contract and headed for arbitration again so he may be the odd-man-out.

Ken Harvey is the one who should be worrying. Huber is Harvey's replacement, Sweeney is going nowhere due to his 11 million contract.
I doubt Harvey is with the club next year, he'll be traded to a NL team that needs a singles-hitting 1st baseman.

Wow Jeff George playing baseball now cool

I think you meant Chris George

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 03:57 PM
The last article I read about Gobble said he was getting knocked around pretty good in Omaha.I don't remember which show it was, maybe Petro, but they were talking about how his last few starts he's been very good with velocity well above normal (93-94) for 2-3 innings, then he falls apart. I don't follow the minors, so I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-20-2005, 04:01 PM
What ever happened to Gobble anyway? He showed so much promise before. Apparently I missed his downfall not living in the KC area anymore.

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
What ever happened to Gobble anyway? He showed so much promise before. Apparently I missed his downfall not living in the KC area anymore.I don't think it's a matter of location. 'cause I live in KC and I missed his downfall too. Was like one day he's here and gonna be the next Avery, and the next day he's gone and nobody noticed.

Bowser
06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
What ever happened to Gobble anyway? He showed so much promise before. Apparently I missed his downfall not living in the KC area anymore.

His best pitch was the home run ball.

ChiTown
06-20-2005, 04:10 PM

You can't be a MLB starting pitcher and avg < 2 K's/9 innings. He just doesn't have a good enough strikeout pitch in his holster.

beavis
06-20-2005, 04:41 PM
When did he ever show promise? It seemed at times that his only purpose was to pad the opposing teams stats.

Sure-Oz
06-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Affeldt is on the DL instead of Burgos.

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Affeldt is on the DL instead of Burgos.Wish that f*cker could stay healthy long enough to trade him.

Hey, who was I talking about again? Sweeney? Affeldt? Yeah.

beer bacon
06-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Affeldt is on the DL instead of Burgos.

Correction. Affeldt is on the DL along with Burgos.