PDA

View Full Version : The toothpaste trick...

Ultra Peanut
06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
How does it work? I've got an XBox game, used, that won't start for me, due to a noticeable scratch. I got it to work once by dabbing the scratch with a licked fingertip.

I suppose I can google it, of course... that would probably be the easiest path.

htismaqe
06-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Supposedly, just dab a tiny bit of paste on the scratch, rub it in with your thumb and then wash it off...

I've never tried it.

Simplex3
06-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Be careful, some toothpastes have a finer grit than others. I'd test your toothpaste on a blank cd first. Practice on small areas of that blank before taking off on your whole disc. Use different amounts of water and toothpaste until you find one that works without leaving it hazy.

It depends on how deep the scratch is, though. You can't fix them all, but you do have a significant amount of plastic you can play with. If it's deep enough a filler would be better. You can always check with a jewler, it's the same type of procedure on a watch face.

AeroSquid
06-21-2005, 07:40 AM
I think i would stay away from any toothpaste with baking soda in it.

htismaqe
06-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Be careful, some toothpastes have a finer grit than others. I'd test your toothpaste on a blank cd first. Practice on small areas of that blank before taking off on your whole disc. Use different amounts of water and toothpaste until you find one that works without leaving it hazy.

It depends on how deep the scratch is, though. You can't fix them all, but you do have a significant amount of plastic you can play with. If it's deep enough a filler would be better. You can always check with a jewler, it's the same type of procedure on a watch face.

Ah, so the theory behind the toothpaste is that you're gently abrading the scratch using the silica in the toothpaste?

That makes sense.

redhed
06-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Somebody used to make a disc repair kit (Phillips?), and it consisted of different grits of fine sandpaper. You were supposed to just rub out the scratch.

Ultra Peanut
06-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Just scraped some white toothpaste from an old tube with a toothpick, put a bit on my fingertip, and rubbed in circles on the scratch. I then got some toilet paper, briefly ran it under the faucet, and wiped it off in circles. To finish, I got some dry toilet paper (this is nice, soft stuff, not cardboard), and dried off the area that had been wet. I did this a few times, until I felt I had adequately accomplished whatever it was that needed to be done.

Result? The intro movie is playing on my XBox right now. :D

Ultra Peanut
06-22-2005, 03:39 AM
Just for the record, I really shouldn't have gloated.