PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking Super Bowl this year or bust mentality

BigRedChief
06-20-2005, 12:02 PM
So I have been thinking for the last couple of years we have a small window of oppertunity to make it to the Super Bowl and then cap hell and rebuilding will need to be done. But now I'm not so sure.

The main points mentioned on the Planet why it is this year or bust Shields, Richardson, Priest and Roaf will retire after this season. Green is getting old Tony G's game will start to fall off We enter cap hell DV is goneMaybe we (including myself) were wrong. Maybe there won't be a huge fall off in talent. Johnson looks like the real deal and can step up to semi-fill Preist's shoes. Maybe Black or Wilkerson can step up to semi-fill Will's shoes. Roaf says he's going to play 3 more years. Tony will be one of the top TE's in the league for 2-3 more years. A lot of QB's in the NFL have had great success in their mid 30's. Our offense won't be asked to score 35 points a game because of our improved defense I don't know about cap hell next year or even what the #'s could possible be or who's even up for FA or a big contract next year but King Carl knows his financial chit fowards and backwards so we can assume its not that bad? :hmmm: If we win the Super Bowl DV will leave. But if we have a good season and just miss he may come back.I don't know maybe its just me. Seeing the players out at mini-camp, the off season moves, I don't know. I still would love to see King Carl hit the bricks but I'm a lot more hopeful about my teams future now. :clap:

jspchief
06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
I think we already have sold our souls. Between the money we spent this year, and the existing contracts reaching later years, I have a feeling we are going to be in some real trouble capwise pretty soon.

All long term contracts have extremely large bases in the later years. That means Gonzo, Green, Warfield, Holmes, and Shields will be very expensive as their contracts mature. Add that to the contracts of the big name guys we added this year, and cap hell seems imminent.

Whether we run out of talent, or money, this team is probably going to have to start over sooner rather than later.

Just my opinion.

Pants
06-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Cap hell is a myth.

jspchief
06-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Cap hell is a myth.Sure it is. Just ask the Titans.

htismaqe
06-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I think we already have sold our souls. Between the money we spent this year, and the existing contracts reaching later years, I have a feeling we are going to be in some real trouble capwise pretty soon.

All long term contracts have extremely large bases in the later years. That means Gonzo, Green, Warfield, Holmes, and Shields will be very expensive as their contracts mature. Add that to the contracts of the big name guys we added this year, and cap hell seems imminent.

Whether we run out of talent, or money, this team is probably going to have to start over sooner rather than later.

Just my opinion.

Don't forget that they have to re-do the CBA soon.

BigRedChief
06-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Sure it is. Just ask the Titans.

Touche! :)

BigRedChief
06-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Don't forget that they have to re-do the CBA soon.

Thats right. As of right now 2007 there is no cap. We could concievably set the ship right during that year?:hmmm:

Bowser
06-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Thats right. As of right now 2007 there is no cap. We could concievably set the ship right during that year?:hmmm:

Tagliabue would never allow it.

BigRedChief
06-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Tagliabue would never allow it.

Maybe its a bargaining chip used by the players or Tag? Start the cap anew. Everyone on the same page again. New CBA, new cap. Or maybe I'm just a dreaming......Weirder things have happened.

Rausch
06-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Cap hell is a myth.

I don't remember being cap-strapped due to signing players but I do remember being up against the line due to cutting a bunch of slobs and having to take a hit for it.

jspchief
06-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Don't forget that they have to re-do the CBA soon.That could be a blessing or a curse.

If it gets done soon, it will likely include larger caps, making room for these contracts. However, that will be short lived. As soon as the cap goes up, you can bet agent's demands will too.

If it's slow getting done, that means we'll be forced into signing more short term contracts, which may be cheaper in the short term, but in the long run will just lead to a flood of FAs when the CBA finally gets done.

Ideally, an agreement is reached quickly. Otherwise, I think it could become pretty messy for teams to stay together and remain competitive.

ck_IN
06-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Don't allow squiggle room. If DV doesn't get a SB appearance this year then he should be gone and it will have been a wasted season.

There should be no excuses. If DV is half as great as so many around here think then a SB trip should be a cakewalk for him this season.

BigRedChief
06-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Don't allow squiggle room. If DV doesn't get a SB appearance this year then he should be gone and it will have been a wasted season.

There should be no excuses. If DV is half as great as so many around here think then a SB trip should be a cakewalk for him this season.

Would you say the same thing about Parcells? Gibbs?

BigRedChief
06-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Ideally, an agreement is reached quickly. Otherwise, I think it could become pretty messy for teams to stay together and remain competitive.

You just aint a whistling dixie my good man. It could get messy and spiral out of control very quick.

Taco John
06-21-2005, 01:08 AM
That offensive line is the key to your offense. It's going to be a long time before you'll be able to assemble a cast like this again. I'm of the opinion that during the last three years, you guys have had one of the best offensive lines in the game (top three, if not top dog)... Though, in retrospect, this past year, not so much (given the whole Wellbourne thing). In any case, Dick Schottenheimer has his work cut out for him this year.

DaWolf
06-21-2005, 05:32 AM
I also don't think we're in as bad a shape as might be thought.

Cap hell, I doubt that happens. Every guy the Chiefs have signed has been done carefully and with the intention of not screwing the cap. The Surtain deal took a while in large part because they wanted to make sure the deal was structured in a way that they could live with capwise. Vermeil said that one of his mail goals after taking over this team was to make sure that we never got into cap hell again (at the time 5 years ago we were 30 mil over the cap). If you know how to manage the cap you can avoid cap hell. Look at the Raiders, every year they're supposedly in cap hell and every year they go ahead and sign the guys they want.

The defense is quite young. Whether they're finally talented enough remains to be seen. On the offense, if Samie Parker and Kris Wilson continue to impress, if Boerighter can bounce back or if Mitchell can finally live up to his supposed talents, then we've all of a sudden got a good young corps of pass catchers. Gonzo isn't 30 yet and still is getting better. Larry Johnson is apparently Priest's replacement. We're gonna have to find a permanent replacement for TRich soon.

Yeah, OL is probably the biggest concern, but at least we have a few things going for us there. We've been grooming some young guys to step into some of those spots for a few years now. We've got one of the best coaches in the industry there in Solari. And Carl, even with the Trezelle Jenkins blunder, has been pretty adept at putting together good OL's in both the Marty and Dick eras.

We're gonna have to start addressing this QBOTF question within the next year or two though. While Green might want to play another 3-5 years, you just never know when a QB just loses it. We have to get ready and groom a guy, and that's one thing Carl has never done. Of course we could always trade for or sign another vet, but I'd like to finally bring one up on our own...