PDA

View Full Version : Ok...Battle is out. Warfield is suspended the first 4 games of the season.........

RedThat
06-20-2005, 02:47 PM
What do you think the Chiefs do. How will they resolve their right cornerback position?

ct
06-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Dexter McCleon with a rolling safety to cover his azz. That's what I think will happen.

Alphonso Hodge gets his groove on in TC, and bumps Dexter off the roster. That's what I hope will happen.

Edubs
06-20-2005, 02:52 PM
I actually thought #40 looked pretty good on Saturday. I know they didn't do alot but he made a couple of good plays. He looked better than Surtain. Surtain got smoked on a couple of plays.

Dave Lane
06-20-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm in the Law camp if there is anyway to get it done

Dave

Pants
06-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Warfield has NOT been suspended yet.

siberian khatru
06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
This poll is incomplete without Scanlon and Gaz options.

Anyong Bluth
06-20-2005, 02:58 PM
what the hell is the deal with that... why are they waiting so long to decide the issue with Warfield.

I think its rather crappy they are dragging out a decision either way given our schedule is so tough those 1st four games and it really puts us behind the 8 ball to face those teams minus another CB...

unlike a few seasons ago when the schedule played right into a run for us....

ct
06-20-2005, 02:58 PM
#40 is rookie Alphonso Hodge. I agree he looks good in his effort, but made several mistakes too. He has very good potential, but that's what it is right now. I hope he develops fast, would love to have a younger version of the shutdown Surtain!

nascher
06-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Sapp looked 10 times better than Battle last season.

And starting a 5th R. Rookie isn't the answer.

whoman69
06-20-2005, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Most teams have figured out that when they see a 5 receiver set, they only have to rush 6 and somebody is unblocked.

Hoover
06-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Who in their right mind would not vote to replace Battle with Law?

Thig Lyfe
06-20-2005, 05:48 PM
OMG were gonna sign Law!!!!@1!!!11 nick athansaid so!!!!11

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 05:54 PM
I actually thought #40 looked pretty good on Saturday. I know they didn't do alot but he made a couple of good plays. He looked better than Surtain. Surtain got smoked on a couple of plays.Maybe my wires have been crossed, but I thought Hodge was 47, not 40. 40 was Justin Perkins. Or "That dude with the really big hair that just got burned again". Not that Hodge looked much better.

Mr. Laz
06-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Who in their right mind would not vote to replace Battle with Law?
agreed, IF this hypothetical poll really did show the options ... law is clearly the best.

Ari Chi3fs
06-20-2005, 08:01 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11 Sign Bobby Taylor!!11

that is what RedBull is wanting us to say.

Ari Chi3fs
06-20-2005, 09:26 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!!11 Sign Bobby Taylor!!11

that is what RedBull is wanting us to say.

Ari Chi3fs
06-20-2005, 09:27 PM
whoa.

Wallcrawler
06-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Law wont sign for the Vet minimum. He will get higher than that from the Jets. Since he wont sign for the minimum, the Chiefs wont pursue him.

I figure the Chiefs will find out who is the most capable to step in and play in Warfield's absence if he is suspended. Unfortunately, Im seeing them starting Dexter Mcleon in those first four games.

This is an instance where the Chiefs are actually NOT full of crap when they say that they are maxed out on the cap. There arent too many guys out there that find the vet minimum appealing. If someone agrees to that deal, then I see the Chiefs signing someone. But right now, I doubt it.

ct
06-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Maybe my wires have been crossed, but I thought Hodge was 47, not 40. 40 was Justin Perkins. Or "That dude with the really big hair that just got burned again". Not that Hodge looked much better.

I think you're right. My bad. I wasn't confused on who looked like crap, Perkins was terrible!

JakeT
06-21-2005, 08:52 AM
what the hell is the deal with that... why are they waiting so long to decide the issue with Warfield.

I think its rather crappy they are dragging out a decision either way given our schedule is so tough those 1st four games and it really puts us behind the 8 ball to face those teams minus another CB...

This could actually end up working to our advantage...Think of it this way the NFL waits to tell us Warfield is suspended... in the meantime the Chiefs determine Ty Law is healthy... you know how to get a quick a 3.3 million dollars worth of cap relief -- cut the drunk who really isn't that great of a CB, yeah the one who gets shoved around by wide outs, and sign Law, no brainer.

htismaqe
06-21-2005, 09:06 AM
This could actually end up working to our advantage...Think of it this way the NFL waits to tell us Warfield is suspended... in the meantime the Chiefs determine Ty Law is healthy... you know how to get a quick a 3.3 million dollars worth of cap relief -- cut the drunk who really isn't that great of a CB, yeah the one who gets shoved around by wide outs, and sign Law, no brainer.

:rolleyes:

JakeT
06-21-2005, 09:21 AM
htismage -- cute smiley(not)

care to elaborate

Rukdafaidas
06-21-2005, 09:33 AM
I look at McCleon as having one really bad game....Jacksonville.
IMO, he was the best Chiefs defender two years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing him play in Warfield's absence, if Gun feels he's the best choice.

jspchief
06-21-2005, 09:38 AM
htismage -- cute smiley(not)

care to elaborateI'll elaborate. Not sure if it matches htis' sentiments, but it's why I don't believe it will or want it to happen.

Surtain is the highest paid player on our team. Law would likely be the second highest. That's way too many eggs in one basket.

For one thing, having two players of that caliber at that position is overkill. Most teams don't have a #2 that requires that good of a CB to defend. I can only think of one other team in the entire league that has that kind of talent (aquired via FA) in their secondary, and it's not a team I would mold the Chiefs after. It's way too much emphasis on a fraction of what makes up a football team.

Second, it's chopping off the head, to cure a headache. Warfield is an ideal #2. very solid, but little hype. We should be able to keep him at a relatively fair price. Him missing these four games is no different than any player that misses games due to injury. You plug in the next guy on the depth chart.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Law and Surtain as our secondary. I'd also like Ray Lewis, Kieth Brooking, and Derrick Brooks at LB. While we're at it, I'd like Jason Taylor, Julius Peppers, Shaun Rogers and Kevin Williams on our D-line, not to mention Roy Williams and Ed reed at safety. But there's a reason you don't see a team like that. It's called a salary cap

TEX
06-21-2005, 09:44 AM
For those wanting to start Sapp - the guy is NOT ready. If he were, he would have ben ahead of Battle like he was at the end of last year. Battle leap frogged ahead of him and there's a reason for it. Sapp has the right attitude, but he and the CHIEFS should consider it good if he makes it to a solid # 3 CB this year.

JakeT
06-21-2005, 10:02 AM
jspchief -- I am not a fan of Warfield - he's been the best corner of the WORST secondary in the NFL. I think he is soft he doesn't tackle well, and he doesn't cover well. He gambles too much and gets burned a lot more than he makes a play. I don't think he will be hard to replace and he's overpaid.

It already apprears as if Gun is beginning to think Battle could challenge him for a starting spot. We've all seen where Battle is - he's not that good.

My point is cut Warfield ( he can easily be replaced in 2006 hopefully with a one of our young players Battle or a draft pick) Use the 3.3. million + whatever else we have left to bring Law in here for ONE year and see what happens. This is not that far fetched considering Law's injury.

I just think it could be a very good opportunity to upgrade CB for free for one year and get rid of someone who is exremely overpaid.

Chiefnj
06-21-2005, 10:08 AM
For those wanting to start Sapp - the guy is NOT ready. If he were, he would have ben ahead of Battle like he was at the end of last year. Battle leap frogged ahead of him and there's a reason for it. Sapp has the right attitude, but he and the CHIEFS should consider it good if he makes it to a solid # 3 CB this year.

I read a week or so ago that Sapp was playing with the first team. I think Gunther was rotating all of the backups to see who will step up.

RedThat
06-21-2005, 10:12 AM
jspchief -- I am not a fan of Warfield - he's been the best corner of the WORST secondary in the NFL. I think he is soft he doesn't tackle well, and he doesn't cover well. He gambles too much and gets burned a lot more than he makes a play. I don't think he will be hard to replace and he's overpaid.

It already apprears as if Gun is beginning to think Battle could challenge him for a starting spot. We've all seen where Battle is - he's not that good.

My point is cut Warfield ( he can easily be replaced in 2006 hopefully with a one of our young players Battle or a draft pick) Use the 3.3. million + whatever else we have left to bring Law in here for ONE year and see what happens. This is not that far fetched considering Law's injury.

I just think it could be a very good opportunity to upgrade CB for free for one year and get rid of someone who is exremely overpaid.

You made some good points there about Warfield. I pretty much agree with everything you said about him, except covering. Warfield does a pretty good job of covering. He was our most dependable CB last year, and the only one we had that CAN cover. At times, he was covering other teams #1WR's. Like jspchief said, solid #2. FYI, Battle was in there because the Chiefs are assuming Warfield will miss the first 4 games of the season from his DUI case. The NFL has yet to address any suspension on Warfield.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2005, 12:25 PM

KChiefs1
06-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Surtain is the highest paid player on our team. Law would likely be the second highest. That's way too many eggs in one basket.

For one thing, having two players of that caliber at that position is overkill. Most teams don't have a #2 that requires that good of a CB to defend. I can only think of one other team in the entire league that has that kind of talent (aquired via FA) in their secondary, and it's not a team I would mold the Chiefs after. It's way too much emphasis on a fraction of what makes up a football team.

Second, it's chopping off the head, to cure a headache. Warfield is an ideal #2. very solid, but little hype. We should be able to keep him at a relatively fair price. Him missing these four games is no different than any player that misses games due to injury. You plug in the next guy on the depth chart.

:clap:

htismaqe
06-21-2005, 03:19 PM
The smilie was for both your assessment of Warfield (which is pretty much wrong) and your insistence that we could cut him to afford Ty Law.

Mike in SW-MO
06-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Of course we still don't know if Law will even be able to run this year. Much less be a better cover corner than Warfield.