PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst of the offseason workouts

DeepSouth
06-20-2005, 04:10 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11936805.htm

Best motivational quote “I tell you what — I'm going to give you guys some fishing nets pretty soon.”

Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham to his secondary after an interception attempt fell to the ground

Most pleasant surprise

Derrick Johnson (below). First it was shocking that the tall Texan was still around with the 15th pick. Then Johnson showed up for workouts as good — or maybe even better — than advertised. The rookie linebacker has blazing speed, and he's also picked up the playbook quickly. When Johnson leaped high in the air and almost intercepted a Damon Huard pass during Friday's minicamp, one coach yelled out, “Oh, baby!” Johnson has been making hearts go pitter-patter since rookie camp.

Worst letdown

Az-Zahir Hakim wasn't even in town long enough for a cappuccino. He agreed to a contract. He signed a contract. The veteran receiver was supposed to be ahead of the game because he knew coach Dick Vermeil's offense. But Hakim watched one practice and then bolted for New Orleans.

Best comeback

Within 48 hours of Hakim's departure, free-agent receiver Freddie Mitchell was on the sidelines wearing a Chiefs hat and talking smack about Donovan McNabb.

Best defensive play in minicamp, part II

After Johnson's acrobatic attempt Friday, second place had to go to defensive end Jared Allen and cornerback Benny Sapp. Allen swatted down a Todd Collins attempt, and Sapp dived near a pile of players on the sidelines and scooped it up.

Best use of trickery

Count Dante Hall among those who won't question the Chiefs' decision to draft a punter in the third round. Dustin Colquitt's left-footed punts are funky and hard to catch … even for Hall, the return king.

jiveturkey
06-20-2005, 04:15 PM
DJ definately stands out when he's on the field IMO.

Rain Man
06-20-2005, 04:25 PM
I like the fact that Colquitt's punts are weird, but I hope they don't screw up Dante's receiving. Maybe the Chiefs should buy him a standard punter for practices.

ct
06-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Best, DJ's pass defended.
Worst, Surtain getting burned by Sammie (although this could be good too)

Mr. Laz
06-20-2005, 05:31 PM
I like the fact that Colquitt's punts are weird, but I hope they don't screw up Dante's receiving. Maybe the Chiefs should buy him a standard punter for practices.

nick murphy