PDA

View Full Version : Nitix Anyone?

The Rick
06-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Okay fellow tech gurus, have any of you ever heard of this Linux-based OS?

http://nitix.com/

The company I'm doing some part-time work for has an opportunity to be a reseller of this product at a pretty good price. I've never heard of it before, but it looks nice and has some good write-ups about it on the site.

I'd be a little leary of lack of control in a packaged solution like this, but I suppose for a small business it might not be too bad.

unlurking
06-20-2005, 08:43 PM
I can't believe there is really a whole lot of money in reselling a product that you can get for free elsewhere?

I don't know anything about it, but I don't see anything there that isn't already available in free distros?

The Rick
06-20-2005, 09:25 PM
I can't believe there is really a whole lot of money in reselling a product that you can get for free elsewhere?

I don't know anything about it, but I don't see anything there that isn't already available in free distros?
I think it's the fact that it's designed so that someone with just a small amount of technical knowledge can administer it in a nice, neat package. Everything is controlled through a web interface and requires almost zero maintenance. At least, that's what I gather from it.

unlurking
06-20-2005, 09:30 PM
I think it's the fact that it's designed so that someone with just a small amount of technical knowledge can administer it in a nice, neat package. Everything is controlled through a web interface and requires almost zero maintenance. At least, that's what I gather from it.
Windows on Linux?

Might be good, I have no idea. Just prefer open source, and always hated "commercial open source".

Wish I could tell ya more, but pretty much stick with Slack for personal and business use.

The Rick
06-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Dude, it is all open source. There's nothing "windows" about it. The kernel is Linux, web server is Apache, mail server is qmail, database is MySQL, etc.

It almost looks as if they've just tweaked things to put a pretty, easy to use interface for controlling everything. Could work out nicely for a small company with IT needs but not a huge IT budget...which I believe is exactly the market they are after.

unlurking
06-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Dude, it is all open source. There's nothing "windows" about it. The kernel is Linux, web server is Apache, mail server is qmail, database is MySQL, etc.

It almost looks as if they've just tweaked things to put a pretty, easy to use interface for controlling everything. Could work out nicely for a small company with IT needs but not a huge IT budget...which I believe is exactly the market they are after.
The "Windows on Linux" was a concept comment.

My personal opinion why Microsoft sux so bad is that they made their OS so easy a monkey could operate it. Then when they've taken market share and are horribly insecure, they start making the OS more complicated to configure (requiring registry changes to kill null session type stuff) which means very few people (or monkeys) know what the hell they're doing. So even now that a Windows server can be made secure, very rarely do people do it because you have janitors running them.

That's what's "windows" about it. Why not just spend the couple 100 bucks a month to outsource? There are so many small business IT shops that do this stuff on the cheap.