PDA

View Full Version : What to do in St Louis

KS-Surveyor
06-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Taking the family to St Louis next week. Will attend the Cardinals game on Tuesday night, but am looking for some other things to do.
I think we will go to the zoo, possibly six flags, but does anyone know of anything else to do?
Thanks

siberian khatru
06-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Detonate a briefcase nuke.

Reaper16
06-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Cry bitter tears.

Phobia
06-21-2005, 08:23 PM
How old are your kids?

You can take them riding on the Katy trail. You can even rent the bikes. http://www.scenic-cycles.com/

They have unique bikes for rent, too.

Dave Lane
06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Get out. As quickly as possible!! ROFL

Dave

Oz_Chief
06-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Check out a place called City Museum (www.citymuseum.org). It's a trip and I reckon you and your family will love it. It used to have a school bus balanced on the roof. You'll have to let me know if it is still there.

Fairplay
06-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Dude, if you take in a Cards game, its not really to far away from the Anheuser brewery. (chorus of boos, i know). Seriously its cool and the beer(s) tastes really great at the end of the tour. Consider going to Grants farm also.
Go to the arch. I wouldn't go up the thing though.
If you have kids go to the Magic House or City Museum.
Laclede's Landing which is very close to the arch is cool to check out as well. It has bars and shops. Sort of like westport.

tk13
06-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Go across the river and take a scenic walk through East St. Louis. Make sure to talk to all the friendly people along the way, for sure, really, I wouldn't lie.

:)

siberian khatru
06-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Go across the river and take a scenic walk through East St. Louis. Make sure to talk to all the friendly people along the way, for sure, really, I wouldn't lie.

"Excuse me, could you please tell me how to get back on the express way?"
"F*ck yo mama!"
"Thank you very much."

Fairplay
06-21-2005, 10:05 PM

St.Louis is kicking around an idea of building a park across from the arch on the East St.Louis side. The morons.

Mosbonian
06-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Dude, if you take in a Cards game, its not really to far away from the Anheuser brewery. (chorus of boos, i know). Seriously its cool and the beer(s) tastes really great at the end of the tour. Consider going to Grants farm also.
Go to the arch. I wouldn't go up the thing though.
If you have kids go to the Magic House or City Museum.
Laclede's Landing which is very close to the arch is cool to check out as well. It has bars and shops. Sort of like westport.

What he said.....especially about the Arch. if you have a fear of open heights most certainly don't go.

If someone asked me, which you have, I would say A-B Brewery, Grants Farm, St. Louis Zoo, The Magic House and City Museum are all worth the trip.

Do not, I repeat, do not waste your time with Six Flags. IMO you will be sorely disappointed.

mmaddog

KChiefs1
06-21-2005, 10:16 PM
A couple of members of my family usually go to St Louis to get mugged! No shit I've had a cousin & a neice who've been mugged in St Louis in parking lots downtown. To say the least that's a couple of less people who have decided to ever go to St Louis for some fun!

St Louis is a shitbag town & the best advice I could give you is stay away.

Mosbonian
06-21-2005, 10:18 PM
How old are your kids?

You can take them riding on the Katy trail. You can even rent the bikes. http://www.scenic-cycles.com/

I love riding, walking or running on the Katy Trail....my goal is to ride the Trail from St. Louis to Columbia this summer some time.

mmaddog

philfree
06-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Taking the family to St Louis next week. Will attend the Cardinals game on Tuesday night, but am looking for some other things to do.
I think we will go to the zoo, possibly six flags, but does anyone know of anything else to do?
Thanks

Last time I was in St Louis was the Chiefs vs Rams preseason tilt in 2003. The game was great the piano bar was great but what took the cake was when I kidknapped that dude in the wheel chairs selling watches and made him go drink with us...

PhilFree:arrow:

Ari Chi3fs
06-21-2005, 11:11 PM
How old are your kids?

If you do this, you better start doing exercises for your Chode... if not, you will not be able to walk well for a few days after...

trust me on this one... 3 hour bike rides hurt the baows.

luv
06-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Union Station, the Arch, and there used to be a History of Bowling Museum right across from the stadium. Don't know if that is still there though. And don't think the brewery isn't for kids. We went there when I was a kid. I thought it smelled funny, but it was fun. And you get to roam the gift shop and drink soda while you're parents sample the beer. Ummm...there also used to be this great big Catholic Cathedral not far from the Arch that was absolutely beautiful. Dad was a HUGE Cards fan, so we would take family vacations there when my brother and I had roller skating meets. We always took in a Cards game too. This was all about 15-20 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.

luv
06-22-2005, 01:33 AM
This was all about 15-20 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.

I've gone since then, but it was to Barnes Jewish Hospital to visit a friend's mom that was in there. We did however hit the boats and the bars. Very fun night life, but not recommended for children.

tk13
06-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Union Station, the Arch, and there used to be a History of Bowling Museum right across from the stadium. Don't know if that is still there though. And don't think the brewery isn't for kids. We went there when I was a kid. I thought it smelled funny, but it was fun. And you get to roam the gift shop and drink soda while you're parents sample the beer. Ummm...there also used to be this great big Catholic Cathedral not far from the Arch that was absolutely beautiful. Dad was a HUGE Cards fan, so we would take family vacations there when my brother and I had roller skating meets. We always took in a Cards game too. This was all about 15-20 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.
Having a dad that is a Cards fan, poor thing, you were completely misguided at an early age.

luv
06-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Having a dad that is a Cards fan, poor thing, you were completely misguided at an early age.
He's a huge Chiefs fan now. Any redemption there?

J Diddy
06-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Thanks

Get in a plane and fly the hell right out of there.

tk13
06-22-2005, 03:06 AM
Eh... some things are just unforgivable. :)

JimNasium
06-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Science Center - Free
Zoo - Free
Grant's Farm - Free + free beer
Brewery Tour - Free + free beer

Saulbadguy
06-22-2005, 07:14 AM
That just makes it worse.

patteeu
06-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Here's another vote for Magic House and City Museum for kids.

There's also some kind of butterfly house that my kids have been to, but I don't remember it's name. They liked it.

The Science Center across 40 Highway from the Zoo (there's a walkway) is pretty cool. It's something like Science City here in KC, but a billion times better.

patteeu
06-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Science Center - Free
Zoo - Free
Grant's Farm - Free + free beer
Brewery Tour - Free + free beer

Are you sure the Science Center is free? IIRC, there were several different things you had to pay for there and you picked which ones you wanted to go to or you bought a multi-activity pass. There might have been part of it that was free though. Then again, maybe it's all free and I'm just misremembering it.

ChiTown
06-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Get in a plane and fly the hell right out of there.

t'would be my choice as well. However, if you HAVE to go, don't forget to crap in the front yard of the Mayor's home.

Chief Henry
06-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Tons and TONS of things to do in STL.

The arch has a great musuem underneath it. Be sure to watch the short video of how the ARCH was built. Others on here say not to go up into the Arch but i would highly suggest that you do
GO UP and check it out. Its AWESOME.

The Magic House is neat espeacially with kids.

The Bowling Museum is neat. I don't know if its still there with all the contstruction of the new ball park. They would let you bowl one free game if memory serves me correctly.

The A-B Brewery is way cool witha very large gift
store with tons of CARDINALS STUFF too.
Plus the obligatory beer sampling ain't too bad.

The Union Station is alright. "Hooters" can be found in this place.

Mike Shannons restraunt and SPorts Bar is down town. It has tons of Cardinal memorabelia. The onion rings are great as well as the ribs...

Another nice restraunt downtown close to Shannons place is an Italian restraunt called
Charlie Geito's (gee-toe's).... Its also one of Tommy Lasorda's favorite Italian restraunts
too. They have tons of sports memorbelia on the walls too.

Of Course the StL. Cardinals are always a must if they're in town. {Flame Away Royals fan}

Grants Farm is free and cool with Kids.

The science Center is always a good spot to hit
along with the ZOO.

You have a wide variety of things to do, it just depends on how much time you have in STL.

East STL. is a fricken DUMP. Avoid it at all cost if you value your life and wallet.

If you go on the 4th of July weekend, they have this huge air show with one of the most breath taking fireworks display under the arch nightly.

STL has lots of things to do and see.

JimNasium
06-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Are you sure the Science Center is free? IIRC, there were several different things you had to pay for there and you picked which ones you wanted to go to or you bought a multi-activity pass. There might have been part of it that was free though. Then again, maybe it's all free and I'm just misremembering it.
There are components of the center that are free and then they have parts that you have to pay for. I was cheap and just took the kids to the free portions.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks
St. Louis Science Center is always popular. Neat place.

shaneo69
06-22-2005, 11:31 AM
There's also some kind of butterfly house that my kids have been to, but I don't remember it's name. They liked it.

It's at Faust Park in Chesterfield, which is about 30 minutes west of downtown, right off Highway 40. You would take a right at the Clarkson/Olive Road exit and go about a mile, and it's on the left side of Olive Road. There's also a big carousel there for the kids.

http://www.stlouisco.com/parks/Faust_home.html

Like everyone else said...

Grant's Farm, City Museum, Magic House, Bowling Museum (also doubles as Cardinals HoF), Arch, Zoo, Science Center. Go to The Hill, Union Station, or The Spaghetti Factory on Laclede's Landing for dinner.

Also be sure to hit Ted Drewe's with the kids for St. Louis' best ice cream/custard.

If you go to the Magic House on Lindbergh Blvd in Kirkwood, drive a little further south on Lindbergh afterwards for lunch at White Castle. It's a real treat and you shouldn't miss it.

seclark
06-22-2005, 01:26 PM
although it's a little east of east st. louis,(10/15 minutes) the Cahokia Mounds is pretty cool and free.

http://www.cahokiamounds.com/cahokia.html

sec

Calcountry
06-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Take a crap and a pee, then leave.

patteeu
06-22-2005, 07:09 PM
although it's a little east of east st. louis,(10/15 minutes) the Cahokia Mounds is pretty cool and free.

http://www.cahokiamounds.com/cahokia.html

sec

Great call. That place is awesome (although it's more awesome for adults and older kids who are interested in history/museums than it is for younger kids)

WilliamTheIrish
06-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I have a T-shirt that says:

"FREE DON DENKINGER NOW"

You can borrow it.

Ralphy Boy
06-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Check out a place called City Museum (www.citymuseum.org). It's a trip and I reckon you and your family will love it. It used to have a school bus balanced on the roof. You'll have to let me know if it is still there.

That place is awesome.

andoman
06-22-2005, 08:38 PM
If you are into dirt track racing, I-55 Raceway is about 30-40 miles south of St. Louis. Its the best dirt track I've ever been to. Adults $10, kids 12 and under are free, but make sure there isn't a special event first.

<a href="http://i55raceway.com/">http://i55raceway.com/</a>

I'd definitely go up in the Arch. Its weird because you kind of lay out on your stomach to look out the windows. It will be crowded around the 4th if they still have the VP Fair, but the fireworks are awesome.