PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Colquitt could kick Chiefs' punting woes

tk13
06-22-2005, 02:19 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11951855.htm

Colquitt could kick Chiefs’ punting woes

By ADAM TEICHER
Kansas City Star

The high, arching punts of rookie Dusty Colquitt were an offseason delight for the Chiefs. His kicks gave them reason to believe their punting problems of recent years are finished.

But the show doesn’t end when Colquitt’s kicks begin their journey back to earth. They inevitably do a dance that leaves returners staggering just to make a clean catch, much less bust loose for long yardage.

Colquitt’s kicks consistently baffled even veteran and sure-handed returners such as Dante Hall and Eddie Kennison. In offseason practices, both players fought Colquitt’s punts with all they had.

They had little success. Their attempts to field the kicks were a collection of drops, fingertip grabs, last-second lunges and belated efforts to merely get out of the way of the falling ball.

“Dante dropped one every day, and Dante never drops one,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “This is the first time he’s ever had problems. He told me he’s been using his game-day concentration and he was still having problems.”

That’s just the sort of mayhem the Chiefs had in mind when they drafted Colquitt near the end of the third round. One of the biggest reasons was returners’ inability to get a consistent grip on his punts.

“We saw it when we watched him in college,” said special teams coach Frank Gansz Jr. “A lot of returners were mishandling his punts. I stood under a few of them when I went to work him out. I’ve seen a lot of punts, but this guy’s punts move around a lot.”

It’s a new and exciting phenomenon for the Chiefs, who have gone through a dizzying collection of mediocre punters since Vermeil arrived in 2001.

It’s nothing new for Colquitt, who as Gansz indicated was tough to catch in college at Tennessee.

“I know that if guys are catching my punts and they’re not having much problem with them, there’s something in my technique that I need to tweak,” Colquitt said. “I kind of have a different way of doing things than most punters. I hold the ball at a little bit of an angle. I tilt the nose up a little bit, and when the ball gets to its peak, it doesn’t really turn over. That makes it a difficult ball to catch.”

Colquitt is left-footed. Left-footed punts rotate differently and take some getting used to.

“But that doesn’t explain all of it, because we’ve played against lefties before,” Gansz said. “It’s not like that kind of guy is new to us. Both Eddie and Dante have great ball skills. They know how to handle lefties.”

Colquitt also generally gets good hang time on his punts.

“Any time you see a ball up that high and there’s any kind of wind at all, it’s going to do some pretty funny things,” Gansz said. “The returner spends a lot of time first of all just trying to figure out whether he’s going to catch the thing.

“It’s definitely going to be an advantage for him and for us. A turnover in the kicking game is always huge.”

Running back Sam Gado had the misfortune of being sent back as the returner during the Chiefs’ spring rookie camp. The poor fellow had no idea what he was in for.

“I don’t know what it is about his punts,” Gado said. “It just hangs up in the air so high that it’s hard to adjust. You almost lose your bearings a little bit. You just can’t get a good grasp or a good feel for where it’s going to land. I was back there for about 10 or 12 of his punts. The first eight or nine, I dropped every single one of them.”

That shook Gado’s confidence as a returner. It lasted until the Chiefs began a series of full-squad practice sessions.

Now he knows his problems had more to do with Colquitt instead.

“At first, I thought it was just me,” Gado said. “But then I saw Dante Hall and Eddie Kennison having problems with it. That made me feel a lot better.”

Chiefs Pantalones
06-22-2005, 02:26 AM
This is great news. Hopefully he can do this come game time.

Pants
06-22-2005, 02:27 AM
Our punter is a ****ing weapon!

ZootedGranny
06-22-2005, 02:30 AM
Thus far, this guy has been everything I've expected him to be.

Now, watching the Chiefs defense and the Chiefs offense, I haven't seen a lot of punts recently the past couple of years, but this guy was a savage at the public mini camp. He kicks a booming knuckleball. It's doesn't spiral like most other punters' kicks, but it gets up, and stays up there a while.

I fully expect a mix of vicious hits and fair catch signals this season, because the gunners are going to go wild on the returner.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-22-2005, 02:31 AM
We'd save money though for Law if we don't sign him, and just have Scanlon take over the punting duties.

royr17
06-22-2005, 02:44 AM
this guy is ****ing amazing, great pick DV and Co .....

alanm
06-22-2005, 03:06 AM
It's been many moons since I've been excited by a KC punter. Jerrel Wilson to be exact, But this kid and the way he punts, it should be fun to watch guys try to field his kicks.

Luzap
06-22-2005, 03:50 AM
BTW ~ who were all the posters lambasting DV & Company on draft day for waisting a 3rd on this guy?

Luz
anyone willing to step forward???...

Fruit Ninja
06-22-2005, 04:11 AM
Louie Aguiar was a pimp!lol

Gaz
06-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Hang time rocks, baby.

xoxo~
Gaz
Glad to hear it.

Ari Chi3fs
06-22-2005, 07:29 AM
I told you I am in love with this 3rd round pick. Exciting.

Kerberos
06-22-2005, 07:37 AM
We'd save money though for Law if we don't sign him, and just have Scanlon take over the punting duties.

My thoughts exactly ....

In fact we don't even need another CB in camp. I think Rich could cover being a Middle LB, a cover CB and take on the punting duties as well.

Of course that would take time away from him being a mentor to Trent when he needs advice on how to scramble and pass on the run.

:D

Rukdafaidas
06-22-2005, 07:46 AM
BTW ~ who were all the posters lambasting DV & Company on draft day for waisting a 3rd on this guy?

Luz
I don't recall many Chiefs fans lambasting the pick. I do, however, recall most of the media lambasting the pick.
I was excited with the pick, but not as excited as I am now. At the time, I didn't realize his punts were so hard to field. I just thought we were getting a punter that could boot the ball.

ptlyon
06-22-2005, 07:52 AM
:clap:

Now throw some pads on him and see if he can do it in a game atmosphere.

milkman
06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
I don't recall many Chiefs fans lambasting the pick. I do, however, recall most of the media lambasting the pick.
I was excited with the pick, but not as excited as I am now. At the time, I didn't realize his punts were so hard to field. I just thought we were getting a punter that could boot the ball.

I wouldn't call it lambasting, but I did question the pick.

If he does give us the type of punting that this article talks about when the real games start, then I won't be afraid to admit that I was wrong to question the pick.

Tuckdaddy
06-22-2005, 08:45 AM
MVP material

stevieray
06-22-2005, 08:46 AM
lefties rock.

PastorMikH
06-22-2005, 08:58 AM
I don't care how good he punts, I hope we never use him.

However, it is good to know that if we do need to punt occasionally, he will get the job done.

Brock
06-22-2005, 10:22 AM

Luz

Can't recall seeing any.

HC_Chief
06-22-2005, 10:25 AM

Now THAT'S the type of attitude we need more of :D

jynni
06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
IRRC, it was mostly the media that was down on the picking of a punter in the 3rd. Everyone here (and anyone familiar with last years punter carosel) though it was a good pick.

Rain Man
06-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Can't recall seeing any.

Yep. I had no issue with it, and neither did most other folks. It was a bit of a surprise, but not an unwelcome one.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-22-2005, 10:43 AM
I love this draft pick now.

Anyong Bluth
06-22-2005, 10:49 AM
IIRC, it was the media that thought it was a bad pick minus a few guys that made mention of our punting struggles and field position is part of improving the defense. Also, it was mentioned that Shanahan was going to use one of their two upcoming picks on him and thats why they pulled the trigger.

Now the donks ended up with sourdoughbun, hold the roids.

This draft to me I think goes down as one of the top two, maybe #1, drafts under CP.

I read in The Sporting News magazine (written by AT) that Tynes has also looked great and should soon end up as one of the premiere kickers in the league. (?)

Andoverer
06-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Wow. I've never gushed over a punter before

wolfpack0735
06-22-2005, 11:37 AM
just watching him warm up saturday looked better than nicky ever did. the way he went up and down the field just dropping the ball in front of his foot. nicky never did that. colquitt`s punts seem to hang forever saturday.

milkman
06-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Wow. I've never gushed over a punter before

Too young to remember JW?

C-Mac
06-22-2005, 12:07 PM
“I know that if guys are catching my punts and they’re not having much problem with them, there’s something in my technique that I need to tweak,” Colquitt said. “I kind of have a different way of doing things than most punters. I hold the ball at a little bit of an angle. I tilt the nose up a little bit, and when the ball gets to its peak, it doesn’t really turn over. That makes it a difficult ball to catch.”

Blaspheme!
Code 28446, Section 32 of Chiefs manual..."or publicly give out secret kicking tips"

jynni
06-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Maybe it's easier said than done?

Anyong Bluth
06-22-2005, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about him "giving out secrets" Darin Bennett used the rugby style drop kick and used to boot the shit out of the ball... no one started jumping on that band wagon.

You have to have the leg to kick it, 1st (our rook has a monster one and is a 2nd gen NFL K/P)

Niche technique like this aren't the easiest of things for others to just pick up and probably has a little something to do with his range of motion and stance. Most punters when they try to tweak their kick - motion, delivery, catch, step or the numerous other factors involved will assuredly shank it quite a bit.

How many people here have ever punted (where you actually extend and jump off with your back foot) or kicked a field goal - its tough as hell to retrain yourself

Hog Rider
06-22-2005, 12:32 PM

However, it is good to know that if we do need to punt occasionally, he will get the job done.

I think we'll start punting on 1st down;

after the fumble recovery, it'll be like a fifty yard pass play!