PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: Four cornerbacks due for a visit

tk13
06-22-2005, 01:24 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11951852.htm

Four cornerbacks are due for a visit

The Chiefs moved to address their depth at cornerback by arranging visits with veterans Dewayne Washington, Aaron Beasley, Ashley Ambrose and Terrance Shaw.

All were scheduled to be at Arrowhead Stadium on Thursday.

Absent from the list is Ty Law, who first met with the Chiefs in March. The Chiefs have maintained a discussion with Law’s agent but have yet to schedule a follow-up visit to inspect the progress of his surgically repaired foot.

Cornerback depth became a concern for the Chiefs last weekend when they lost Julian Battle for the season with a torn Achilles’ tendon. The Chiefs also anticipate losing starter Eric Warfield for at least part of the season because of an NFL suspension.

Their other cornerbacks are veterans Patrick Surtain, Dexter McCleon and Benny Sapp, and rookies Alphonso Hodge, Justin Perkins and Gabriel Helms.

A look at the four scheduled visitors:

■ Washington, 32 and an 11-year veteran with Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Jacksonville, was the only one of the group to be a full-time starter last season. He had two interceptions last year in his only season with the Jaguars.

■ Beasley, 31, played nine seasons with Jacksonville, the New York Jets and Atlanta. He was a starter for most of his career until last year, when he was a reserve in his only season with the Falcons.

■ Ambrose, 34, played 13 seasons with Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Atlanta and New Orleans. A Pro Bowler in 1996 with the Bengals, Ambrose started six games for the Saints last season. He missed seven games because of a sore knee.

■ Shaw, 32, is a 10-year veteran with San Diego, Miami, New England, Oakland and Minnesota. He has been a part-time starter for the last several years, including last year with the Vikings.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Beasley or Washington I guess.

Does it matter?

the Talking Can
06-22-2005, 01:30 AM
draw straws?

Chiefs Pantalones
06-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Whoever has enough speed and can turn their head, sign him lol.

royr17
06-22-2005, 01:34 AM
I'd rather have Beasley over Washington ......

Chiefs Pantalones
06-22-2005, 01:38 AM
No Bobby Taylor? heh

beer bacon
06-22-2005, 01:39 AM

I would take Beasley too. I was surprised to see that he had four interceptions, the most for any Falcon's player last season, returned for 115 yards in limited playing time. I thought he was older then 31 too.

Bobby Taylor must be really fragile if we are bringing in these guys and not him.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-22-2005, 01:42 AM
He'll have to compete with Hodge, Perkins, and Sexy Dexy. He'll be lucky to make the team. yeah...

beer bacon
06-22-2005, 01:47 AM
He'll have to compete with Hodge, Perkins, and Sexy Dexy. He'll be lucky to make the team. yeah...

If we signed Beasley and he got beat out by Hodge or Perkins I would be pretty happy. If he got beat out by McCleon I would cry for our pass defense while Warfield is suspended.

alanm
06-22-2005, 01:58 AM
That's it!!! Keep f*cking doubting Benny Sapp!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Postal_clone
06-22-2005, 05:11 AM
whats up With Ty Law??? even if hes healthy, can we afford him???

DaKCMan AP
06-22-2005, 05:27 AM
I like Beasley. NO to Washington and not crazy about Shaw.

Gaz
06-22-2005, 05:53 AM
1. Sapp
2. Beasley
3. Washington
4. Shaw
5. Ambrose

xoxo~
Gaz
Preferred Sapp over Battle before the injury.

Kerberos
06-22-2005, 05:53 AM
whats up With Ty Law??? even if hes healthy, can we afford him???

I am sure if we wanted to take the Tennesee Titans school of how to be in CAP hell for the next 5 years we could do some adjusting to sign him.

Or better yet the Chiefs could CHEAT the CAP like Denver and only get our hands slapped instead of stripping a SuperBowl Trophy like should have happened! :D

Chances are NO it won't happen cause he is gonna want a MULTIPLE year deal and a STACK of cash signing bonus. I don't think Lamar is going to open the wallet again this year. Just IMO. :shake:

:)

Gaz
06-22-2005, 05:55 AM
No to Law.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hopes someone signs Ty soon, so the “What About Law?” cries can end.

Saulbadguy
06-22-2005, 06:01 AM
No to Law.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hopes someone signs Ty soon, so the “What About Law?” cries can end.

Without Law, what will happen? Mass chaos, I tell ya.

tomahawk kid
06-22-2005, 06:19 AM
No Bobby Taylor? heh

That's what I was thinking. His wheel must be pretty jacked up if WE aren't willing to take a look at him at this point.

Unless Law is willing to take the minimum (which he isn't), he won't be playing for us this year. Out of list in the Star, I gotta go w/ Beasley or Washington.

Mike in SW-MO
06-22-2005, 06:50 AM

Just curious, but what was the reason for the release of Beasley? Not familiar with his history, but just based on the short bio here, looks like full time starter, then drops to backup, then released. Sounds like Woods. Has he hit the end of his string? Post 30, it can happen pretty fast, especially for speed merchants.

Washington is a year older, but he was a full time starter last year.

Bring'em all in and pair'em up for one-on-one with some rookies in town. Sign whoever looks best.

John_Wayne
06-22-2005, 07:06 AM
We'll keep 5 CB's right?

Surtain
Warfield
Free Agent
McCleon
Sapp

PS:
Hodge

milkman
06-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Of those 4, the 2 I'm most familiar with are Beasley and Shaw, and neither of them get me excited.

I remember when Shaw first came into the league, I thought he had some real potential, but he never really lived up to it.

But in the end, any of these guys are probably better than McPassOn, and whoever signs, let 'em compete for the spot with Sapp, who I like a whole hell of lot more than any of the others.

milkman
06-22-2005, 07:27 AM
We'll keep 5 CB's right?

Surtain
Warfield
Free Agent
McCleon
Sapp

PS:
Hodge

I'm thinking that McPassOn will get the axe at the end of camp if one of these guys is signed.

Sapp and the FA will be the #2 and the nickel to start the season, assuming the 4 game Warfield suspension.
Hodge will be the 5th corner, with Perkins added to the PS.

Lzen
06-22-2005, 07:27 AM
■ Ambrose, 34, played 13 seasons with Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Atlanta and New Orleans. A Pro Bowler in 1996 with the Bengals, Ambrose started six games for the Saints last season. He missed seven games because of a sore knee.

A sore knee? He missed seven games with a sore knee? What a puss. I don't want to see him in red and gold.

wasi
06-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Just curious, but what was the reason for the release of Beasley? Not familiar with his history, but just based on the short bio here, looks like full time starter, then drops to backup, then released. Sounds like Woods. Has he hit the end of his string? Post 30, it can happen pretty fast, especially for speed merchants.

Washington is a year older, but he was a full time starter last year.

Bring'em all in and pair'em up for one-on-one with some rookies in town. Sign whoever looks best.

I think the fact they drafted Deangelo Hall the season before last as well as the fact Kevin Mathis has been stellar since he came to ATL.
If I'm not mistaken, ATL also switched back to a 4-3 and so maybe they went from man-man to zone or vise-versa. Beasley is a larger sized corner, thus I'd imagine he's more suitable for man-man coverage. I would imagine he'd be a Gunthur type, I'd like to see him signed.

ptlyon
06-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Without Law, what will happen? Moss chaos, I tell ya.

There. Fixed it for ya. ROFL

wasi
06-22-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm thinking that McPassOn will get the axe at the end of camp if one of these guys is signed.

I wouldn't be so sure, as this is really the first year since his arrival that he will have the opportunity to play the nickle spot that DV brought him here to play. Based solely on speculation, I would have to think that someone would have to have an outstanding camp and preseason in addition to McCleon getting hurt or failing to play well for him to get cut this year.

milkman
06-22-2005, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't be so sure, as this is really the first year since his arrival that he will have the opportunity to play the nickle spot that DV brought him here to play. Based solely on speculation, I would have to think that someone would have to have an outstanding camp and preseason in addition to McCleon getting hurt or failing to play well for him to get cut this year.

He was brought in to play the nickel in Spinner's scheme.

While the nickel in in any scheme really doesn't need to be physical, I would imagine that Gun would want someone who can be physical there still, and a guy who can step into the #2 spot when needed in case of injury.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Aaron Beasley?!?!

That's the guy I was pimping as a NCB in February.

ROFL

the Talking Can
06-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Aaron Beasley?!?!

That's the guy I was pimping as a NCB in February.

ROFL

does NCB mean "no can play"?

wasi
06-22-2005, 07:59 AM
He was brought in to play the nickel in Spinner's scheme.

While the nickel in in any scheme really doesn't need to be physical, I would imagine that Gun would want someone who can be physical there still, and a guy who can step into the #2 spot when needed in case of injury.

Yeah, you make a good point, he is a leftover from the old-guard so to speak. Not sure what that then correlates too, considering the majority of the defense from those days is still left.
I don't have enough chance to see games up here, but how is Dex in run support overall? I would imagine with Surtain on one side, the coverage could be shifted over to his side if he needed to start. Could the deciding factor be his play against the run and tackling? I seem to remember him making some plays on sweeps during the few games that are broadcast up here every season.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 08:04 AM
I think the fact they drafted Deangelo Hall the season before last as well as the fact Kevin Mathis has been stellar since he came to ATL.
If I'm not mistaken, ATL also switched back to a 4-3 and so maybe they went from man-man to zone or vise-versa. Beasley is a larger sized corner, thus I'd imagine he's more suitable for man-man coverage. I would imagine he'd be a Gunthur type, I'd like to see him signed.

Yep. That's exactly it. The guy can still play, he just no longer fits in Atlanta's plans.

As for McCleon, he was brought here to be a starter. They said at the time that he would compete with Bartee but it was easy to see that Bartee was going to lose that battle with a former Ram.

Ray Crockett was the guy that was brought here specifically to be the nickel. Both he and McCleon are smaller zone CB's.

milkman
06-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Yeah, you make a good point, he is a leftover from the old-guard so to speak. Not sure what that then correlates too, considering the majority of the defense from those days is still left.
I don't have enough chance to see games up here, but how is Dex in run support overall? I would imagine with Surtain on one side, the coverage could be shifted over to his side if he needed to start. Could the deciding factor be his play against the run and tackling? I seem to remember him making some plays on sweeps during the few games that are broadcast up here every season.

I would call his run support adequate at best.

Another consideration is that Gun sometimes like to blitz the nickel, and McPassOn isn't a guy he would be able to do that with.

StcChief
06-22-2005, 08:30 AM
1. Sapp
2. Beasley
3. Washington
4. Shaw
5. Ambrose

xoxo~
Gaz
Preferred Sapp over Battle before the injury.

That's my preference

Lzen
06-22-2005, 08:35 AM

That might've been funny if corner was spelled cornerpack.

No, on second thought, it's still not funny.

Brock
06-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Sign 2 and send McCleon packing also.

Coach
06-22-2005, 08:37 AM
I see four different names but they all spell out Ray Crockett. I would like a cb with a little less mileage.

Bwana
06-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Ouch! It looks like they are trying to raid the old folks home with that list.

milkman
06-22-2005, 08:39 AM
I see four different names but they all spell out Ray Crockett. I would like a cb with a little less mileage.

Got any suggestions.

KCChiefsMan
06-22-2005, 08:40 AM
a solid cheap vet at CB is exactly what we need...depth.

I'll take Beasley or Washington

milkman
06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Sign 2 and send McCleon packing also.

McPassOn can be sent packing with only one of these guys signing.

Brock
06-22-2005, 08:51 AM
McPassOn can be sent packing with only one of these guys signing.

Yeah, but I'm assuming that one was a necessity because of the Warfield situation.

milkman
06-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Yeah, but I'm assuming that one was a necessity because of the Warfield situation.

I'm assuming that the only reason that MPO is still here is the fact that he's a vet.
After Surtain, Warfield and MPO, there's a lot of youth at the position.

Battle and Sapp are young, relatively inexperienced guys, with the rookies Hodge and Perkins battling for a spot.

With one of these vet FAs, MPO becomes expendable, IMO.

Actually, from where I sit (in my QB armchair), MPO was expendable anyway, but that's just me and not the KC staff that thinks experience always outweighs actual talent.

SNR
06-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Wow.... Vermeil is actually going OUTSIDE the organization to compensate for injuries. None of this "I have total confidence in the guys currently on my squad"

I like this team MUCH better. Still, I have a sinking feeling it's a day late and a dollar short.

bringbackmarty
06-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Judging from the size of the list and who is not on it, I would say it looks like we are out of money. Probably won't sign anyone. If we do I hope its taylor, then beasley. Gun likes Sapp so it stands to reason they elevate him. Perhaps if we sign an old scrub, said scrub will probably be our #4, or #5. Either way McCleon the magnificent sees the field a lot the first four games. Could the nfl just suspend Warfield for 2 games, or 1 game, or will it be four games, or nothing. The fact that they are waiting so long may be just so they can see if he will screw up again, if he doesn't screw up by the end of july, maybe no suspension? prolly just wishfull thinking on my part.

Chris Meck
06-22-2005, 09:13 AM
I'd think either Beasley or Washington would fit the bill nicely to add some veteran presence and fill for Warfield if Sapp (for instance) can't beat 'em out. Both are more physical type corners, and for the vet min (or thereabouts) would be a nice pick-up.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Wow... those guys are all old.

tomahawk kid
06-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Judging from the size of the list and who is not on it, I would say it looks like we are out of money. Probably won't sign anyone. If we do I hope its taylor, then beasley. Gun likes Sapp so it stands to reason they elevate him. Perhaps if we sign an old scrub, said scrub will probably be our #4, or #5. Either way McCleon the magnificent sees the field a lot the first four games. Could the nfl just suspend Warfield for 2 games, or 1 game, or will it be four games, or nothing. The fact that they are waiting so long may be just so they can see if he will screw up again, if he doesn't screw up by the end of july, maybe no suspension? prolly just wishfull thinking on my part.

Since Warfield was never enrolled in the league's substance abuse policy, all of your options are in play.

Since its technically his 3rd violation, everyone ASSUMES they will suspend him 4 games. However, since he has never in effect had a "Strike One - Game Suspension", Strike Two - 2 Game Suspension " etc., no one really knows.

I STILL think that the NFLPA will have a cow if the league suspends EW 4 games.

Coach
06-22-2005, 09:32 AM

I know I would have a cow for the fact that it took the league a long f**king ass time to decide.

htismaqe was right on a different thread.

Eric Warfield SHOULD be serving a suspension.

That suspension SHOULD have been at the END OF LAST YEAR

Coach
06-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Oh yeah, somebody call James Hasty or Kevin Ross, they're the same age as these guys anyway...

tomahawk kid
06-22-2005, 09:57 AM
I know I would have a cow for the fact that it took the league a long f**king ass time to decide.

htismaqe was right on a different thread.

Yep.

TRR
06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Thoughts on Aaron Beasley from the Falcons message board...

*First of all, if I were a betting man, I would have bet ambrose was younger than Beasley

*Second, I really would like us to sign Beasley - I thought his contribution last year was much bigger than aniticipated and I liked the seeming presence he brought to the team

*I also thought Beasley was a great contributer last year, and I wish im the best of luck

*I would like to see Beasley back myself. He didn't start but I LOVE what he did when he was in there.

*I think he had at least two HUGE picks that helped us win games. The San Fran one and I think the other may have been against Carolina.

*WTF why hasnt he been resigned he was one of our brite spots last year one IMO one of the better CBs we had.

*Aaron Beasley played very well last year , i hope that we can bring him back

*Yes forget signing shulters bring Back Beasly for the vet minimum an that would probably be 2nd best thing done this offseason.

*I would rather have Beasley than Schulters. Schulters is a good player, but we don't need him as badly as you people think. We would be spending alot of money on something we don't need(another injury prone DB). Lance Schulters is a declining player. we won't get the Schulters that led the league in INTs, but we will get the 2003 Schulters. We need an above average backup. So Beasley would seem like a better fit. Most corners at beasley's age could eventually turn into a safety. Just like Aneas Williams did. Beasley even has the size to be a safety. From what I'm hearing Schulters has a high asking price. When we signed Beasley last year didn't he signed for almost about the league minimum? Thats why beasley could be a better fit.

Rukdafaidas
06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
I"m not high on McCleon, and all of the free agents listed could probably perform as well or possibly better than McCleon at this stage in his career, but I feel he's being bashed way too hard.
Just 2 years ago, McCleon was our best CB, IMO. He gets beat consistantly in one game last year, Jacksonville, and all of a sudden the guy is trash. He's been Bill Bucknered.
Warfield got beat consistantly for 4 years and didn't receive as much heat....what's up with that?

TRR
06-22-2005, 10:12 AM
I"m not high on McCleon, and all of the free agents listed could probably perform as well or possibly better than McCleon at this stage in his career, but I feel he's being bashed way too hard.
Just 2 years ago, McCleon was our best CB, IMO. He gets beat consistantly in one game last year, Jacksonville, and all of a sudden the guy is trash. He's been Bill Bucknered.
Warfield got beat consistantly for 4 years and didn't receive as much heat....what's up with that?

I absolutely agree. Rep headed your way. McCleon had 6 INT's in 03, and was KC's most consistent CB. Gun asked him to do things he wasn't comfortable with last season, like playing a lot of bump and run, etc. I thought Gun didn't try hard enough to play to our players strengths. This year, Gun has the type of players he wants. However, McCleon can still be productive.

milkman
06-22-2005, 10:31 AM

McPassOn is a good zone CB, but he isn't equipped to play is Gun's physical man scheme.

And Warfield was constantly bashed until last season.

I spent numerous posts defending him.

Brock
06-22-2005, 10:41 AM
He gets beat consistantly in one game last year, Jacksonville, and all of a sudden the guy is trash. He's been Bill Bucknered.

Giving up 300 yards per game and 32 touchdowns will do that. And no, I'm not saying Warfield is good either. As far as I'm concerned, neither one of these guys can play.

Frankie
06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Wow... those guys are all old.

So what? We need someone to hold the fort for about a 3rd of a season.

TRR
06-22-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm officially on the Aaron Beasley bandwagon.

RedThat
06-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Giving up 300 yards per game and 32 touchdowns will do that. And no, I'm not saying Warfield is good either. As far as I'm concerned, neither one of these guys can play.

Warfield is ok...Most people like to place the emphasis on the CB's for a bad pass defense. Yet, our LBer's couldn't cover worth sh*t, and our safeties wouldn't have the balls to come across the middle to lay a licking, nor cover worth a damn. I blame the safeties, linebackers, and McCleon, Bartee for our pass defensive woes. Warfield was not the problem last year.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Warfield is ok...Most people like to place the emphasis on the CB's for a bad pass defense. Yet, our LBer's couldn't cover worth sh*t, and our safeties wouldn't have the balls to come across the middle to lay a licking, nor cover worth a damn. I blame the safeties, linebackers, and McCleon, Bartee for our pass defensive woes. Warfield was not the problem last year.

I agree. It's hard to tell overall HOW BAD some of these guys are, because they're surrounded by other guys that SUCK.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm officially on the Aaron Beasley bandwagon.

Welcome aboard!

RedThat
06-22-2005, 11:28 AM
I agree. It's hard to tell overall HOW BAD some of these guys are, because they're surrounded by other guys that SUCK.

True. We should be a lot better this year though once we have a full lineup.
The guys that will make the most difference are Surtain, Warfield, and Johnson, imo. I hope we sign Aaron Beasley. You could officially add me to the bandwagon list. I don't think our NB position is resolved. He would help significantly. So imagine a coverage unit that consists of Surtain, Warfield, Johnson, Beasley, Wesley, and Knight. That's an average to above average coverage unit imo.

Brock
06-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Warfield was not the problem last year.

THE problem, no. A problem, yes.

Brock
06-22-2005, 11:31 AM

I just don't know how long it is going to take for the almost 10 year project known as Eric Warfield is going to pay off. At some point, you just have to cut your losses.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 11:32 AM
THE problem, no. A problem, yes.

Warfield was largely a problem because the team was asking him to do something they shouldn't have.

Warfield looks just fine when he's the #2 CB and the safeties he shares the backfield with can actually DO their jobs.

milkman
06-22-2005, 11:32 AM
True. We should be a lot better this year though once we have a full lineup.
The guys that will make the most difference are Surtain, Warfield, and Johnson, imo. I hope we sign Aaron Beasley. You could officially add me to the bandwagon list. I don't think our NB position is resolved. He would help significantly. So imagine a coverage unit that consists of Surtain, Warfield, Johnson, Beasley, Wesley, and Knight. That's an average to above average coverage unit imo.

Add Sammy Knight to that list.
I really don't think you can underestimate the value of leadership on the field, and it's becoming pretty evident that's what Sammy has to offer, along with his ballhawking.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 11:34 AM
I really don't think you can underestimate the value of leadership on the field, and it's becoming pretty evident that's what Sammy has to offer, along with his ballhawking.

I've already gone out on a limb and said that I think Sammy Knight will be THE key acquisition we've made. No, he might not put up the flashy numbers of Johnson or Bell or Surtain. But in the end, his attitude is what is going to get us over the top IMO.

RedThat
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM

When it comes to coverage, I don't place Sammy Knight there. He gets burned, believe me. Wait and see when we go up against speedy talented WR's. Good luck with Sammy Knight back there that's all I gotta say. the guy is slow. On the other hand, I agree with you on the leadership part. He will provide leadership, I can sense that when I hear him talk on radio shows, and interviews. It seems like he wants to take charge and get everybody together on the same page. that's good to see, and should result in an automatic improvement for our defense.

keg in kc
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM
On that list, I'd take Beasley. If for no other reason than the fact that he's the youngest with the least wear.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 11:49 AM
When it comes to coverage, I don't place Sammy Knight there. He gets burned, believe me. Wait and see when we go up against speedy talented WR's. Good luck with Sammy Knight back there that's all I gotta say. the guy is slow. On the other hand, I agree with you on the leadership part. He will provide leadership, I can sense that when I hear him talk on radio shows, and interviews. It seems like he wants to take charge and get everybody together on the same page. that's good to see, and should result in an automatic improvement for our defense.

ALL players get burned at one time or another.

Only a handful of players have more takeaways over the last 5 years.

You can say he's slow all you want, it won't change the fact that he's the best safety we've had here in quite some time.

milkman
06-22-2005, 11:52 AM

As Parker said, all players get burned.

But Sammy will be a playmaker and a leader on this D, something this D has lacked since DT.

RedThat
06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
i think Sammy Knight will help us in our run defense, no doubt. I watched some film of him, from his playing days with Miami and New Orleans. What the Chiefs have here is a smart player. A player with good awareness, and understanding. A player who rarely draws himself out of position to make plays. I must say a few things about Sammy knight, he is a good tackler, and alway places himself in position well enough to get to the ball carrier.

Frankie
06-22-2005, 11:57 AM

Only if you are an Arab*. "No Can Blay."

(* No 'P' in Arabic language)

shaneo69
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM

Red Bull, I know you're kinda new here, but when we discuss recently signed UFA's, we only talk about their strengths and do not consider any weaknesses they may have.

So it's definitely okay to mention his leadership, tackling, and ability to force turnovers, but please do not talk about his speed and/or coverage skills.

Thanks.

TEX
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
They're all C-R-A-P!

shaneo69
06-22-2005, 12:21 PM
They're all C-R-A-P!

I was just about to say they all suck, but I like yours better.

tomahawk kid
06-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Red Bull, I know you're kinda new here, but when we discuss recently signed UFA's, we only talk about their strengths and do not consider any weaknesses they may have.

So it's definitely okay to mention his leadership, tackling, and ability to force turnovers, but please do not talk about his speed and/or coverage skills.

Thanks.
ROFL

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM

Thanks.

Goddamn, you're fuggin brilliant.

ChiefsOne
06-22-2005, 12:42 PM
I just don't know how long it is going to take for the almost 10 year project known as Eric Warfield is going to pay off. At some point, you just have to cut your losses.

Warfield is not that bad. He played pretty damn good last year in the 1 spot. He will do much better this year (when he gets to play) in the 2 spot. Not worried about him, just worried about who is going to play his position when he is suspended.

Sapp has the most potential out of the bunch

shaneo69
06-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Goddamn, you're fuggin brilliant.

:crybaby:

go bowe
06-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Only if you are an Arab*. "No Can Blay."

(* No 'P' in Arabic language)that's funny...

samoan has a "p" but no "b" in it's alphabet... :thumb:

say, i thought you spoke farsi or something...

do you speak arabic too?

i hear the cia and other agencies and/or the military are short on arabic language translators...

have you applied at the office of personnel managment for your area?

wouldn't that drive some of the nuts just crazy, a terrorist working for the cia? ROFL ROFL ROFL

keg in kc
06-22-2005, 12:48 PM
:crybaby:Wow. Would'ya look at that. Tears of friggin joy. Parker, you've made his week.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 12:49 PM
:crybaby:

Yep that's it.

Or maybe it's just that you're not too bright.

go bowe
06-22-2005, 12:51 PM
They're all C-R-A-P!no, no, no...

crap is one of our new wr's...

TEX
06-22-2005, 12:53 PM
no, no, no...

crap is one of our new wr's...

You're right - They're all $-H-I-T!

Brock
06-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Warfield is not that bad. He played pretty damn good last year in the 1 spot.

No. He did not play pretty damn good. Not one player in the secondary did.

go bowe
06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Yep that's it.

Or maybe it's just that you're not too bright.i know that this :crybaby: smilie is new and all...

but i would have used the :deevee: smiley instead, several times...

:D :D :D

go bowe
06-22-2005, 01:00 PM
You're right - They're all $-H-I-T!oh, i dunno...

for an undrafted free agent, sapp has been a pleasant surprise (although i don't expect that much from a udfa)...

reports from ota's and such seem to indicate hodge has some potential...

and surtain is at least average, which is better than bartee, mccleon, and whoever else we had at cb last year...

except for warfield...

i thought he was definitely the best cb we had last year and you gotta admit that he is at least an average cb, if not substantially better than average...

oh, and somebody mentioned johnson in with the db's...

now i don't know if that's larry or derrick, but one of them apparently is going to play some cb this year... ROFL ROFL ROFL

shaneo69
06-22-2005, 01:04 PM
i know that this :crybaby: smilie is new and all...

but i would have used the :deevee: smiley instead, several times...

:D :D :D

Next time I make htis cry, I'll more carefully consider which emoticon to use.

milkman
06-22-2005, 01:12 PM

So is go bo the smiley coordinator?

keg in kc
06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
So is go bo the smiley coordinator?More like the smelly coordinator.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Try this one.

:hail:

TRR
06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
and surtain is at least average, which is better than bartee, mccleon, and whoever else we had at cb last year...

That is the only time you will ever hear Surtain and average in the same sentence. Surtain is a Pro Bowl, Top 5 CB in the NFL.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
So is go bo the smiley coordinator?

He's certainly a recognized expert.

milkman
06-22-2005, 01:18 PM
More like the smelly coordinator.
:LOL:

whoman69
06-22-2005, 02:34 PM
These guys all have one thing in common. They can all remember the good ol' days when they still had some skill and athletic ability.

AirForceChief
06-22-2005, 03:02 PM
What...was Methusalah already signed? Damned Raiders...

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I can't believe people are making such a big deal about how old these guys are.

Beasley is 31. Ambrose is 34.

Bartee will be 27 on Saturday. McCleon is 31 and Woods is 32. Warfield is 29. Surtain just turned 29 last weekend.

It's not like we're expecting these guys to be the #1 CB for 16 games. We're looking for a nickel CB who can potentially start for 4 games if Warfield is suspended.

TEX
06-22-2005, 03:15 PM
I can't believe people are making such a big deal about how old these guys are.

Beasley is 31. Ambrose is 34.

Bartee will be 27 on Saturday. McCleon is 31 and Woods is 32. Warfield is 29. Surtain just turned 29 last weekend.

It's not like we're expecting these guys to be the #1 CB for 16 games. We're looking for a nickel CB who can potentially start for 4 games if Warfield is suspended.

It's not thier age that bothers me, it's that they're CRAP and actually make Bartee look good... :shake:

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 03:21 PM
It's not thier age that bothers me, it's that they're CRAP and actually make Bartee look good... :shake:

You've got to be ****ing kidding me.

Beasley had 4 INT's last year. That's 4 more than Bartee has in his CAREER. Ambrose had 3 in just 9 games.

Mr. Laz
06-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Yep. That's exactly it. The guy can still play, he just no longer fits in Atlanta's plans.

As for McCleon, he was brought here to be a starter. They said at the time that he would compete with Bartee but it was easy to see that Bartee was going to lose that battle with a former Ram.

Ray Crockett was the guy that was brought here specifically to be the nickel. Both he and McCleon are smaller zone CB's.

actually i believe it was the exact opposite

crockett was brought in before McCleon ... we chose crockett instead of barber and donnie abrahams to be a starter because he knew knob'son scheme.

mccleon was signed to be a nickle ... but bartee continued to suck

TRR
06-22-2005, 03:22 PM

All 4 CB's are better than Bartee. I would say Beasley is the best, and would fit Gun's system the best. He's a big CB with playmaking ability. And he's the youngest.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 03:29 PM
actually i believe it was the exact opposite

crockett was brought in before McCleon ... we chose crockett instead of barber and donnie abrahams to be a starter because he knew knob'son scheme.

mccleon was signed to be a nickle ... but bartee continued to suck

Maybe that was it.

Funny considering Barber and Abraham are both Cover 2 corners and would have worked in Robinson's scheme.

Mr. Laz
06-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Funny considering Barber and Abraham are both Cover 2 corners and would have worked in Robinson's scheme.
yep

TEX
06-22-2005, 03:35 PM
All 4 CB's are better than Bartee. I would say Beasley is the best, and would fit Gun's system the best. He's a big CB with playmaking ability. And he's the youngest.

That might be true but that isn't saying much. These guys are all retreads. But I agree with your take on Beasley.

TRR
06-22-2005, 03:39 PM
That might be true but that isn't saying much. These guys are all retreads. But I agree with your take on Beasley.

Read those quotes from ATL fans in this thread that I posted. They think pretty highly of Beasley. Retread or not, he would improve our D. I'm not too sold on the other 3 though. Ashley Ambrose was suppose to sign in KC about 5 years ago. A little too late now.

beer bacon
06-22-2005, 03:43 PM

Last year was the first year Beasley hasn't started in a long time. Despite that, he still led the Falcon's in interceptions. He could still start for some teams.

Also, 31 is not that old for a CB. He probably has a couple decent years left him. People need to remember that we aren't going to be asking for a CB that come in and be a #1 CB for the next five years. We are trying to get a guy that can be the #2 CB while Warfield is out and then nickle or dime after that. Most likely any contract we sign with one of these guys will be 1 year for vet min.

htismaqe
06-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Beasley! Beasley! Beasley!

:D

TRR
06-22-2005, 03:51 PM
As I said when Battle went down....This could be a blessing in disquise. I like Battle's potential, but at this stage, Beasley is 2 times the CB Battle is. I don't see KC bringing in another CB if Battle doesn't get hurt.

Just not sold on Battle at all...

milkman
06-22-2005, 03:52 PM
They are all scheduled to come in tomorrow.
Any guesses as to how long after the visits that the Chiefs will act?

milkman
06-22-2005, 03:55 PM
As I said when Battle went down....This could be a blessing in disquise. I like Battle's potential, but at this stage, Beasley is 2 times the CB Battle is. I don't see KC bringing in another CB if Battle doesn't get hurt.

I'm pretty sure I read on or around the first that the Chiefs were still interested in signing a WR (done) and another CB.

Battle's injury may have accelerated the process.

htismaqe

Excellent points.

TRR
They are all scheduled to come in tomorrow.
Any guesses as to how long after the visits that the Chiefs will act?

They'll sign someone by the weekend if (1) someone will play for vets minimum, and (2) someone will play for vets minimum.

The good thing about Vermeil and Gun is that they like to get FA's into the mix quickly. They'll have the FA CB schooled in their D by the time TC hits.

TRR
06-22-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure I read on or around the first that the Chiefs were still interested in signing a WR (done) and another CB.

Battle's injury may have accelerated the process.

Agree.

Pants
06-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Is it possible Warfield won't be suspended?

TRR
06-22-2005, 04:00 PM

Very possible, and as every day passes, it becomes more likely in my honest opinion.

Mr. Laz
06-22-2005, 04:21 PM
actually IMO i think Warfield will be suspended BUT only for 1 game

he fell through the cracks on the league's substance abuse program and the they are prolly pissed about it. They also want to put as much distance between revealing the mistake and the hearings with congress.

they'll wait til very late and then say he'll miss 1 game

imo :shrug:

the Talking Can
06-22-2005, 04:31 PM
yeah, I think the longer it takes the less likely it will be 4 games...maybe this once we won't get screwed by the league...

Pants
06-22-2005, 04:34 PM
I think we'd be OK without Warfield against the Jets...lock Surtain on Coles and put whoever we bring in against McCareins...should be OK.

Mr. Laz
06-22-2005, 04:38 PM
i just don't see anyway he doesn't get at least 1 game suspended.

the question is whether the league tries to bypass the normal 1 game first suspension that Warfield apparently snaked by on.

Rukdafaidas
06-22-2005, 04:41 PM
actually IMO i think Warfield will be suspended BUT only for 1 game

I noticed Gretz said the following in his latest article:

Eric Warfield is headed for a suspension to start the season, which could be as few as two games , or as many as four games. At a critical point of the season, they are going to be short-handed.

It doesn't sound like he has much of chance of getting less than a 2 game suspension.

milkman
06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Very possible, and as every day passes, it becomes more likely in my honest opinion.

Will you let us know when you give a dishonest opinion? :p

Mr. Laz
06-22-2005, 05:07 PM
I noticed Gretz said the following in his latest article:

Eric Warfield is headed for a suspension to start the season, which could be as few as two games , or as many as four games. At a critical point of the season, they are going to be short-handed.

It doesn't sound like he has much of chance of getting less than a 2 game suspension.
gretz is a major freakin' doink

why would he think that Warfield would be suspended for 2 games?

i believe the substance abuse policy says(going by memory):

1st offense = no penalty, but mandatory entrance in substance abuse program. They don't even tell the team that it happened, apparently.

2nd offense = 1 game and weekly testing

3rd offense = 4 games and more mandatory testing

4th offense = 1 year with league review for coming back

5th offense = banned for life

there's no 2 game suspension anywhere ..... unless they make up something new, because the league screwed up, the penalty should be 1 or 4 games.

keg in kc
06-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I still hold out hope that he won't be suspended at all.

Frankie
06-22-2005, 05:16 PM
that's funny...

samoan has a "p" but no "b" in it's alphabet... :thumb:

So Samoans should mary only Arabs so their offsprings can pronounce both letters. :hmmm:

say, i thought you spoke farsi or something...

do you speak arabic too?

i hear the cia and other agencies and/or the military are short on arabic language translators...

have you applied at the office of personnel managment for your area?

wouldn't that drive some of the nuts just crazy, a terrorist working for the cia? ROFL ROFL ROFL
Moi? ROFL ROFL Terrorist?

No I do not speak Arabic, but I recognize their alphabet and some words.

Frankie
06-22-2005, 05:18 PM
You're right - They're all $-H-I-T!

Our ex WR. Now plays for SF.

chiefkdawg
06-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I think we'd be OK without Warfield against the Jets...lock Surtain on Coles and put whoever we bring in against McCareins...should be OK.
..........and if Owens holds out we'll be ok vs. Philly.... :D
Just gotta watch our arses against Oak. and Den. (unless Rice starts, then he and McCleon or the signee can exchange cookie recipes)

TRR
06-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Will you let us know when you give a dishonest opinion? :p

Sure will. I have a habit of finishing my sentences of with IMHO. :shake:

milkman
06-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Sure will. I have a habit of finishing my sentences of with IMHO. :shake:

I thought the "H" stood for "humble", which is why I never used it.

andoman
06-22-2005, 08:28 PM
When Shaw was with San Diego in '95 I can remember him getting repeatedly burned by Bono to Slaughter. No thanks.

ct
06-23-2005, 08:09 AM
W/out reading thru yet, 2 of these guys would fit the bill nicely as a fill-in starter, Beasley and Washington. And if they play well in the 1st 4 weeks, then Warfield may have some work to do to get it back.

From what I remember of these guys:

Beasley, steady, not spectacular
Washington, gambler, gets burned on occasion, but can make some plays

No to Shaw(who blows) and Ambrose(starting days are over).

Kclee
06-23-2005, 08:31 AM

It might not HAVE to be the first 4 games. Last year Onterrio Smith was susp. 4 games in weeks 5-8, because he appealed, it got pushed back. He played the first 4. http://www.footballdiehards.com/NewsMain.cfm?NewsIndex=305
If Warfield gets a 4 game susp., he would/should appeal that it should only be 1 game. And he could fall in the same loop hole that Smith did. (if they drag their feet long enough) And the bonus would be that he could win the appeal and only get 1 game.

ct
06-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Since Warfield was never enrolled in the league's substance abuse policy, all of your options are in play.

Since its technically his 3rd violation, everyone ASSUMES they will suspend him 4 games. However, since he has never in effect had a "Strike One - Game Suspension", Strike Two - 2 Game Suspension " etc., no one really knows.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my memory says that 1st strike is confidential, and moves the player into the testing portion of the program. Then a 2nd strike is a 4 game suspension, and a 3rd strike is a 1 year suspension.

Seems to me the NFL is taking so long to decide is because they blew it. EW should have been involved in the program already with his 1st and 2nd incidents, but from what we understand he is not in the NFL violaters program. So this being his 3rd conviction, they are trying to figure out how they can move him past the 1st strike, since considering this is the 3rd legal incident, yet not blow up the CBA. If they determine they have a legal leg to stand on to do so, they will move him to 2nd strike status. Otherwise, I'm gonna speculate they more him to 1st strike status.

ct
06-23-2005, 08:45 AM
why would he think that Warfield would be suspended for 2 games?

i believe the substance abuse policy says(going by memory):

1st offense = no penalty, but mandatory entrance in substance abuse program. They don't even tell the team that it happened, apparently.

2nd offense = 1 game and weekly testing

3rd offense = 4 games and more mandatory testing

4th offense = 1 year with league review for coming back

5th offense = banned for life

there's no 2 game suspension anywhere ..... unless they make up something new, because the league screwed up, the penalty should be 1 or 4 games.

That list looks more like it than mine. Although, Jamal was only suspended 2 games last year, correct? Perhaps the drug program and legal program have different penalties.

Kclee
06-23-2005, 08:56 AM
That list looks more like it than mine. Although, Jamal was only suspended 2 games last year, correct? Perhaps the drug program and legal program have different penalties.

Probably, Doss was susp. for 2 games this year also.

BigChiefFan
06-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Those players are all scrubs. I'd rather throw Hodge to the wolves.

Frankie
06-23-2005, 10:38 AM
When Shaw was with San Diego in '95 I can remember him getting repeatedly burned by Bono to Slaughter. No thanks.
In '95 what was he? A rookie?

go bowe
06-23-2005, 11:03 AM
More like the smelly coordinator.i heard that!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

go bowe
06-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Try this one.

:hail:ROFL ROFL ROFL

RedThat
06-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Those players are all scrubs. I'd rather throw Hodge to the wolves.

Beasley is not bad. He's the only guy i'd take from that group of 4.

BigChiefFan
06-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Beasley is not bad. He's the only guy i'd take from that group of 4.
They are all decent players and I'd prefer any of them over McCleon, however, they aren't much of an upgrade and only a band-aid. The only way Sapp and Hodge get any better is to play and they are already signed. Let's see what they got.

RedThat
06-23-2005, 11:20 AM
They are all decent players and I'd prefer any of them over McCleon, however, they aren't much of an upgrade and only a band-aid. The only way Sapp and Hodge get any better is to play and they are already signed. Let's see what they got.

Hodge is unknown. From what I saw last year, Sapp is not a cover corner. I like him, but, mainly for blitzing on nickel and dime packages, and that's it.
He's a great blitzing DB. He has blazing speed to get to the QB, and his blitzes are perfectly/well-timed. I'd like to see him more involved on passing downs as well. But, mainly for blitzing and not covering 3rd or 4th WR's.

keg in kc
06-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Signing one of these guys doesn't necessarily signal a death knell for Hodge or Sapp, he'd just be occupying the roster spot vacated by Battle, as well as providing an additional veteran presence in the event that Warfield is gone temporarily. We're not talking about an expensive player and there's room for, what, 90+ players in camp. Not really anything to lose...

BigChiefFan
06-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Hodge is unknown. From what I saw last year, Sapp is not a cover corner. I like him, but, mainly for blitzing on nickel and dime packages, and that's it.
He's a great blitzing DB. He has blazing speed to get to the QB, and his blitzes are perfectly/well-timed. I'd like to see him more involved on passing downs as well. But, mainly for blitzing and not covering 3rd or 4th WR's.
I think Sapp could become a very good nickle corner. I don't like him as the number two guy, but he's athletic enough to become a very good nickle back. Hodge IS unknown, but he's speedy, here's a litle tidbit on college career...

Alphonso Hodge Selected in Fifth Round by Kansas City Chiefs

RedHawk Corner Back Selected 147th

Printer-Friendly Format

E-mail this article

Alphonso Hodge is a Kansas City Chief

Football Home

HEADLINES
ESPNU to Televise Nov. 21 Football Game Between Miami and Ohio
Shane Montgomery Interview Available on MAC Report Online

Matt Pusateri and Larry Burt Sign NFL Contracts With the Cleveland Browns

RELATED LINKS
• Follow all of the college football action at CollegeSports.com

• Email this to a friend

April 24, 2005

OXFORD, Ohio-Miami University senior corner back Alphonso Hodge became the sixth RedHawk player selected in the National Football League Draft since 2000 Sunday afternoon when he was selected with the 11th pick of the fifth round by the Kansas City Chiefs.

The 147th selection overall, Hodge is the first Miami defensive back drafted since Paris Johnson was selected by the Arizona Cardinals in 1999. A second-team all-Mid-American Conference honoree in 2004, Hodge was a three-year starter for the RedHawks and finished his career with 147 tackles, 10.0 tackles for loss, 8.0 quarterback sacks and 24 pass break-ups. A physically-gifted player with the rare combination of speed, size and strength, Hodge ranked sixth on the team in tackles in 2004 and totaled a career-best 5.0 pass sacks.

Hodge was the fourth MAC player selected, joining Akron's Charlie Frye, Toledo's Nick Kaczur and Central Michigan's Eric Ghiaciuc.

Hodge is the 32nd Miami player drafted since 1948, including eight that have come since 1998.

ct
06-24-2005, 01:59 PM
So any word on when this is goin down? Article says Thursday, but I ain't heard a peep about any visits.

InChiefsHell
06-24-2005, 02:05 PM
The 147th selection overall, Hodge is the first Miami defensive back drafted since Paris Johnson was selected by the Arizona Cardinals in 1999. A second-team all-Mid-American Conference honoree in 2004, Hodge was a three-year starter for the RedHawks and finished his career with 147 tackles, 10.0 tackles for loss, 8.0 quarterback sacks and 24 pass break-ups. A physically-gifted player with the rare combination of speed, size and strength, Hodge ranked sixth on the team in tackles in 2004 and totaled a career-best 5.0 pass sacks.

Three years as a starter and no picks?? Suddenly, I'm not so excited about him...

go bowe
06-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Three years as a starter and no picks?? Suddenly, I'm not so excited about him...interceptions would be more encouraging...

but if he had that many pass break-ups, we know that he at least can turn his freaking head... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph:

Reaper16
06-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Three years as a starter and no picks?? Suddenly, I'm not so excited about him...

From what I understand, passes were very rarely thrown his way, which limited his chances of picking one off. He was very respected in his conference as a shut-down corner not worth throwing to, iirc.
He has upside, me thinks.

ct
06-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Apparently, everyone else has heard squat as well.

htismaqe
06-24-2005, 03:06 PM
From what I understand, passes were very rarely thrown his way, which limited his chances of picking one off. He was very respected in his conference as a shut-down corner not worth throwing to, iirc.
He has upside, me thinks.

I saw him play a few times and nobody ever threw to his side of the field. He was always draped all over his guy.

BigChiefFan
06-24-2005, 04:18 PM
NFL Draft
CornerbacksPrint this article | Email this article

April 20, 2005

By Neil Stratton, Inside the League
Edited by Cory J. Bonini

1. Antrel Rolle, Miami (Fla.) (6001, 201, 4.55)

Choosing the top cornerback this year is more a question of whether you like pie or cake better, or Fords more than Chevys. Big cornerbacks are being devalued this year the way smallish corners were dropped in years past, but the pick here is Rolle. He made magic all over the field for the Hurricanes and doesn't give up a lot in the 40 department.

2. Adam Jones, West Virginia (5094, 187, 4.45)

Part of the reason we've moved him from the No. 1 slot is the fact that, though fast, he's not a blazing, sub-4.4 guy. If you're not getting a big boost in speed, why go for the guy who's going to get muscled in the end zone? "Pac-Man's" character concerns (attitude is good for a corner, but enough is enough) counter his return ability.

3. Marlin Jackson, Michigan (6005, 198, 4.62)

Jackson may fit better as a safety on the next level, but he's definitely no slouch in the cover game. Our hearts go out to Jackson, as he would most likely have been No. 1 at his position if he had come out last season.

4. Carlos Rogers, Auburn (6003, 196, 4.44)

Rogers doesn't rate as No. 1 at his position, but is probably worthy of the mantle "most complete" at his position, which is a lot like winning Miss Congeniality. He, as much as any other corner in this year's class, offers the best mix of size, speed as well as run support and coverage ability. He could be the third corner off the board.

5. Justin Miller, Clemson (5096, 201, 4.49)

Miller is basically "Pac-Man" without the flashy nickname or the attitude. He's another guy who excels in the return game, though some have him pegged as a safety.

6. Darrent Williams, Oklahoma St. (5081, 188, 4.34)

Williams is probably the cornerback who did the most to enhance his stock since the end of last season. He followed up a sterling Senior Bowl in which he might have been the best player on the field with a fabulous 40 at the combine. Teams that miss out on Jones can be satisfied they got Williams.

7. Stanley Wilson, Stanford (5116, 185, 4.40)

Wilson is a burner who came on last season and really brought the heat as a good football player. He's added some weight so he won't get pushed around despite a rather narrow frame. He may have been the best athlete on a defense stacked with studs at The Farm.

8. Bryant McFadden, Florida St. (5116, 193, 4.55)

No one's talking about McFadden, but bet the house no NFL team has forgotten about him. He's going to be an excellent value somewhere in the second round. He is very knowledgeable at his position, very mature, ready to step right in.

9. Alphonso Hodge, Miami (Ohio) (5094, 191, 4.45)

Hodge is another guy who doesn't get the accolades and maybe isn't the biggest guy; plus, he comes from the MAC. But so what if you can play and Hodge can play. He'll start out as a nickel back but won't be a non-starter for long.

10. Corey Webster, LSU (6001, 199, 4.57)

Webster excelled on the college level in LSU's scheme, but will those skills translate to the next level? It's an open question. He's probably not got the kind of hips and explosiveness to be a real cover corner on the next level; like others on this list, he might eventually find his home at safety.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-24-2005, 04:44 PM
I thought there was another NFL player who got his 3rd DUI about the time Warfield got his. Or just got handed his suspension. I've tried to run it through some search engines, but got nothing