PDA

View Full Version : What a weekend...

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Had a fire this weekend. We lost most everything. I was able to save some kid's books, and a few plates, and that's it. Apparently it started in a window unit air conditioner. Nobody was home at the time, so everyone's safe and sound.

I'm not posting because we need help, because right now we have as much as we can handle. My family, friends, and co-workers have been just amazing. By the time this is all over, we'll be in better shape then we were before.

I just thought I'd share, and post a few pics....

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 10:37 AM
glasses should be clear...

THis was as far as you could get from the flames and still be in the apt.

Rukdafaidas
06-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Damn, sorry to hear about the fire.
I'm glad to hear everyone is safe and people are coming through for your family.
Best of luck to your family!

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Glad you're all ok... you know the CP community will be there for you if you need....

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Damn... gotta do some resizing. Gonna be a minute.

KCFalcon59
06-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Sorry to hear that. Glad everyone is ok. It's good you're getting lots of help. Tragedy like this usually brings out the good in others. Take care.

JimNasium
06-22-2005, 10:40 AM
That really sucks but I'm glad you are safe.

Coach
06-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Sucks to hear about the fire man. Glad that nobody was inside.

Rain Man
06-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Man, glad everyone's okay. If you need help, just ask.

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 10:42 AM
2nd try...

RedNFeisty
06-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Wonderful that everyone was safe. Times like these tell you who your true friends and loved ones are, glad that yours are not letting you down. Best of wishes to you and your family on the new front!

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 10:43 AM

chiefs4me
06-22-2005, 10:45 AM
I am so sorry to hear about the fire, but glad that everyone is safe. if you need stuff, I have it. Coffee tables, dishes, blankets,food, whatever...don't know how I would get it to you, but it's yours if you need it. I also have kids clothes and toys and books.......

shakesthecat
06-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Sorry to hear it, KcMizzou!
Glad everyone is OK.

chiefs4me
06-22-2005, 10:49 AM
2nd try...

Those pictures are so sad....it gutted everything. I am so glad you are all safe.

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 10:49 AM
I am so sorry to hear about the fire, but glad that everyone is safe. if you need stuff, I have it. Coffee tables, dishes, blankets,food, whatever...don't know how I would get it to you, but it's yours if you need it. I also have kids clothes and toys and books....... Thanks for that.

Thats one reasn I wanted to make it clear that we were fine in that dept. I know how you guys here at The Planet are about those things. If you really wanna help... Put 5 bucks in the bucket next time you see the Red Cross collecting.

Those people are amazing too. They kicked in some food money, clothing money, and enough to cover 1 month's rent at the old place. New favorite charity...

chiefs4me
06-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks for that.

Thats one reasn I wanted to make it clear that we were fine in that dept. I know how you guys here at The Planet are about those things. If you really wanna help... Put 5 bucks in the bucket next time you see the Red Cross collecting.

Those people are amazing too. They kicked in some food money, clothing money, and enough to cover 1 month's rent at the old place. New favorite charity...

The Red Cross is awesome......I give canned goods and everything we have extra or not using anymore to them...But when the help is gone, if you need stuff, let me and the planet know. I can always mail the stuff.

beavis
06-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Dude, your tv melted, that blows!

Glad to hear you are ok.

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 10:55 AM

BIG_DADDY
06-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Wow what a mess. Sorry to hear you had to go through all that. The only thing that can't be replaced are pictures. Now days those can too if you got them saved on another computer. Good luck with that.

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Dude, your tv melted, that blows!

Indeed!

Although, the computer bugged me more. :)

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Wow what a mess. Sorry to hear you had to go through all that. The only thing that can't be replaced are pictures. Now days those can too if you got them saved on another computer. Good luck with that. That's true...

My mom had / has more pics of my boys than I did. (all saved on her comp) I was really happy about that. I'll be able to replace 99%.

BIG_DADDY
06-22-2005, 11:02 AM
That's true...

My mom had / has more pics of my boys than I did. (all saved on her comp) I was really happy about that. I'll be able to replace 99%.

That rocks, makes all the difference in the world. Hope you didn't have any pets in there.

ptlyon
06-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear it zzou - hope your life gets back to order soon!

Ebolapox
06-22-2005, 11:10 AM
dude, what's up with fires on father's day weekend?!?

my family's house had a fire (not NEAR the damage to yours) when I was 12 or 13--which was father's day 1994 or 95 (my memory's not quite telling me--maybe I should call up and ask my pops)-- burned the attic, but ran out of oxygen, and the rest of the damage (downstairs) was water damage due to overexuberant firefighters--I lost my ballcard collection, EVERYTHING--insurance covered everything, but we had to find temporary housing while our place was fixed up--

long story short, it wasn't fun at all--hope you and yours have an easy time with things--

good luck, bran--

-EB-

Earthling
06-22-2005, 11:12 AM
That really sucks. Truley glad no one was hurt.

AustinChief
06-22-2005, 11:24 AM
How bad is the computer? DO NOT ATTEMPT TO POWER IT ON... because it may be salvagable... Here is a good reference on fixing a fire damaged computer...

http://www.mopacmedia.com/shared/resource_viewer.php?ResourceID=307

Let me know if I can help on the computer issue... especially if you have irreplacable data that you need to recover. Most hard drives are sealed .. so if the heat didn't warp the moving parts then you should be ok.

--Kyle

Phobia
06-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Dude - don't be too proud. If you need something, let us know. Really.

Or if you're rather do so privately, I'll do what I can.

mikey23545
06-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Exactly, man...If there is anything anyone can do, please don't hesitate to ask...

Absolutely fantastic news that no one was hurt. Stay strong, bro.

Manila-Chief
06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Certainly delighted to here that all of you are okay. My wife is nuts about turning off window air con units... now I see why!!!

Hope your family can get back to "normal" soon. Take time to prosess the loss ... especially with your children. You'll not get over it in a day or two ... it'll take time. But, feeling good about the future is a gaint step forward.

Ari Chi3fs
06-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Yo Brandon, glad to hear you and the kids are safe. Fire is a mother****er. My dad was the Fire Chief in my hometown... he has seen lots of shit.

Definately sucks, but count those blessings.

Jenson71
06-22-2005, 12:11 PM
:(

God, that's horrible. Good luck with things KcM.

BigRedChief
06-22-2005, 12:36 PM

That goes for me too.

cowboy_big_rich
06-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Dude that sucks

inlaws had a fire. Lost most of everything. They didn't get near the help. They did get a lot of crap. You would be amazed at the people who when asked to donate take it as a chance to get rid of all the stuff that didn't sell in their yardsale.

You would also be amazed at what burnt and what didn't .

Strange shit

Dude, if you need anything let us know.

siberian khatru
06-22-2005, 12:46 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=43588&stc=1

Heh, that looks like my computer after the Chiefs drafted Kris Wilson in 2004.

go bowe
06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
The Red Cross is awesome......I give canned goods and everything we have extra or not using anymore to them...But when the help is gone, if you need stuff, let me and the planet know. I can always mail the stuff.cool, can you mail me your swimming pool? :shrug:

Phobia
06-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Okay - just did a mental inventory. I have a children's bicycle, a 17" monitor, and some computer parts you're welcome to pillage. I also have plenty of extra clothes for you if you wanna share some sizes. Might even have some nice shoes if the size is right. You know how to find me.

PastorMikH
06-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry to hear it Brandon. Glad you and the boys are OK. Add me to the list of those to call if you need something. I'll be praying anyway.

Were you renting or did you own the house?

go bowe
06-22-2005, 01:07 PM
the most important thing is that you and the kids are ok...

everything else is just stuff...

i know, i lost everything i owned in a fire back in the mid-seveties...

it's a bitch, but like all of life's other troubles, you'll get over it ok...

still, sorry to hear of your troubles...

Mr. Kotter
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm glad to hear things are going as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

The important thing is you and yours are safe. You'll bounce back better than before. Good luck. :thumb:

Iowanian
06-22-2005, 02:15 PM
That sucks.

The important thing is that the family is fine. Material possessions aren't really that valuable in the big picture.

I'd have offered help anyway, but considering the package you sent for my pet project, you know its there. Hell, if you came to Iowania, I've got a remodeled house you can stay in.

Nzoner
06-22-2005, 03:38 PM

Sorry Brandon,the mrs and I have lost everything twice due to fires so I know exactly what you're going thru.If it hadn't been for caring friends and the Red Cross I don't know how we'd made it through.

Seeing that we live in the same city I'm echoing Phil's thoughts here,you have my number and if you need anything don't hesitate to call and that includes a place to stay for awhile,you know I've got the room for it.

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Let me know if I can help on the computer issue... especially if you have irreplacable data that you need to recover. Most hard drives are sealed .. so if the heat didn't warp the moving parts then you should be ok.

--Kyle My comp was used strictly for entertainment purposes, so there's nothing I'm really worried about retrieving. As for it's condition, the face melted off the tower, and the monitor's a puddle of melted plastic. It's been disposed of already.

I think things are going to work out great. My bro, his fiance and I have been looking into splitting a bigger place anyway. Now we've chosen one. 3br, 2 bath duplex, with a pool, gym, (the duplexs are part of an apartment complex) washer and dryer hookups, and all that. It's alot nicer than the old place was.

I know it's very stupid, but I didnt carry renter's insurance. I guess it's a lesson learned. When things are tight, it's easy to let that go.... wont happen again.

Work has set aside an area for people to store some furniture for us, untill we get ready to move into the new place. And they've already given us probably more clothes than we had before the fire. (not to mention a healthy sum to help with the deposit and rent)

I dont know how to handle it, really. On one hand, I feel akward and ashamed for needing it.... on the other... I don't know what I'd do without these people. It really makes you think.

Anyway... thanks much for all the kind words and offers.

My son kinda summed it all up last night. He was being very quiet, and I asked him, "Brett, what do you think about all this?" He asked, "About what?" And I said, "About this whole situation.."

He says, "Well, I dont really care about the stuff, I just care about us." Wise words from an 8 yr old.

|Zach|
06-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow, I didn't catch this thread earlier...

I am glad things have panned out alright; sounds really tough. Its great that you have such great friends and family to help you get back at it.

Best of luck...we miss you around here.

MOhillbilly
06-22-2005, 04:47 PM
2nd try...

i told you dont f w/ me!!!!!!!!

KcMizzou
06-22-2005, 04:48 PM
i told you dont f w/ me!!!!!!!!ROFL

bastard

Saulbadguy
06-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Good luck, Brandon. I owe you a few when we meet.

the Talking Can
06-22-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm surprised not to see Bartee among those pictures of burnt shit.

But seriously, glad your family is safe.

chiefs4me
06-22-2005, 10:47 PM
i told you dont f w/ me!!!!!!!!

Mo...that is not even close to being funny....sometimes you suck.:rolleyes:

PastorMikH
06-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Mo...that is not even close to being funny....sometimes you suck.:rolleyes:

KCM thought it was. These guys go way back, KCM knew Mo was joking, and he probably needs the laugh right now too.

Shoot, I've been tempted to pop of a few times just to get Brandon to laughing but have restrained myself.

Skip Towne
06-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Damn, Brandon you attention whore, we love you for yourself. You don't have to pull these stunts to secure our attention. :p

tk13
06-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Wow... sorry to hear about that man. Glad to hear everybody's alright. Best wishes in getting everything put back together.

ENDelt260
06-22-2005, 11:17 PM
I know it's very stupid, but I didnt carry renter's insurance. I guess it's a lesson learned. When things are tight, it's easy to let that go.... wont happen again.

Dang, renter's ins costs next to nothing. I'm pretty sure my renter's ins back in the day was less than the discount I got off my auto ins for being a multiple policy holder.

Saulbadguy
06-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Dang, renter's ins costs next to nothing. I'm pretty sure my renter's ins back in the day was less than the discount I got off my auto ins for being a multiple policy holder.
Renters cost me about a 140 bucks a year. I'm insured for 30k or something like that, which is way more than the contents of my house. I don't really have anything of sentimental value, either.

ENDelt260
06-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Renters cost me about a 140 bucks a year. I'm insured for 30k or something like that, which is way more than the contents of my house. I don't really have anything of sentimental value, either.
Dang, really? I guess compared to my auto ins that's still next to nothing... but, I thought I was paying less.

Saulbadguy
06-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Dang, really? I guess compared to my auto ins that's still next to nothing... but, I thought I was paying less.
Its a bit over 10 bucks a month. Thats pretty cheap. Well, I thought it was. I've got 364 days to go until the "cheap insurance" kicks in for my car.

ENDelt260
06-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Its a bit over 10 bucks a month. Thats pretty cheap. Well, I thought it was. I've got 364 days to go until the "cheap insurance" kicks in for my car.
Heh... I don't think I'll ever have "cheap" insurance for my car.

Course, I'm a lot better off now than I was back in 2001. When I first started up my insurance in AZ, I think I was paying something like $1600 every six mos... that was pre-DUI.

Saulbadguy
06-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Heh... I don't think I'll ever have "cheap" insurance for my car.

Course, I'm a lot better off now than I was back in 2001. When I first started up my insurance in AZ, I think I was paying something like $1600 every six mos... that was pre-DUI.
Gadzooks.

I pay 100 a month right now. Still have a loan on my vehicle, so I have to have full coverage. Car will be paid off soon, and then ill switch it to liability only. Then when I hit 25, it'll be dirt cheap. No tickets or anything on my record anymore.

ENDelt260
06-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Gadzooks.

I pay 100 a month right now. Still have a loan on my vehicle, so I have to have full coverage. Car will be paid off soon, and then ill switch it to liability only. Then when I hit 25, it'll be dirt cheap. No tickets or anything on my record anymore.
That number was full coverage on a 98 full size chevy. AZ has really high auto ins premiums. Not to mention I was 21... had a recent careless & imprudent ticket... and had totalled a truck. (Y'know, totalling the truck and getting the C&I happened at the same time... sucks it counts twice.)