PDA

View Full Version : Anybody canoe in Mo?

dollar1
06-22-2005, 05:09 PM
I'll try and keep this short:)

I've just started paddling again. I'm fairly experienced. The wife and kids (aged 6 & 8) aren't. We have been 3 times. The Big Piney (they should call it a lake not a river...no current and signed up for the 14 mile float), North Fork of the White ( nice float...too bad it was rainy and cold), and just got back from Jack's Fork (good trip all around).

I would like to know the best place to go (Aug 5th) that fit the following criteria in order of importance:

- can camp right next to the river
- closest to Kansas City
- located close to an interstate highway
- nice class 2 moving water
- spring fed? (does Arkansas have decent rivers straight south of Joplin)
- decent showers and toilets

-close to the river- the kids can play in the water while us parents are close.
-closest to KC/located by interstate - total travel time. You go a lot faster/farther on the highway verse up down all round roads
-class 2 - 1 or 2, like more rapids than flat water. Can't be too difficult though
-Spring Fed - going in Aug thus little rain. I don't want to be dependent on rain. I wouldn't mind doing a straight shot south into Arkansas if is close to a highway. Someone told me that there is no spring fed rivers in that area.

Thoughts?

Additionally, I've heard that the Current is about the closest. If so, what sections are the best. North is closer than south etc. Then, what campsite?

Who'd a thunk, 2 posts in 15 minutes...that'll drive my post count up :p

~Back Under My Rock~

Phobia
06-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I dunno. I took the kids to a place near Lawrence last summer. I doubt it meets any of your criteria, though.

We had a decent time. It was a good trip.

chiefs4me
06-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Bennett Springs State Park, it has the river, camping, interstate, floating, fishing and about anything else you want. 11 miles from Lebanon, 30 min from Osage Beach, and 1 hour from Springfield....it's on the web.

Frazod
06-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Not really close to KC, but not all that far, either - the Current River. I did two float trips down it as a kid, and kick myself in the ass for never having gone back. Beautiful, crystal clear water, decent current speed but not rough. Camp out the night before, get bussed up river the next morning, spend all day on the river. Awesome.

Skip Towne
06-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Not really close to KC, but not all that far, either - the Current River. I did two float trips down it as a kid, and kick myself in the ass for never having gone back. Beautiful, crystal clear water, decent current speed but not rough. Camp out the night before, get bussed up river the next morning, spend all day on the river. Awesome.
So you admit you're a "floater"?

Iowanian
06-22-2005, 07:34 PM
I've canoed the Current Alot of times, but its been several years, and the Jacks' fork a few times.

Alot of snakes at both, the Current is a little Faster river than Jack's fork. We always started at Montawk on day, and then did about 3 half day trips, usually camp at or near Eagle Grove?.

My favorite part of the Current, is being behind some suckass canoers, or camping near a crash log in fast water......and pulling that free Cold beer out of the water.

Last 2 times there, I found Cash in the river, typical canoe stuff, and I've seen a tupperware thing full of doobies pulled out of the water.....and disposed of in a way that would make Skip shart a little....

Toss in an ultralight, some small spinners and a can of corn and stop and catch some trout and smallies along the way.

Frazod
06-22-2005, 08:10 PM
So you admit you're a "floater"?

I haven't been since I was 11 or 12. Tomorrow I turn 40. I don't think I could be characterized as a "floater" anymore, but I'd sure love to go back.

Dayze
06-22-2005, 08:58 PM

Very nice. Going there in 2 weeks. Just got back from Bennett Springs Sunday.

Niangua/Bennett Springs is definately a place you shouldn't go if you want current. Not much of it there.

Pretty much your only choice is down in Eminence MO, or Salem MO; about 4 hours from here. Other than that, you looking at pretty calm rivers.

Upper Current, Jack's Fork.....those are the nice places.

papasmurf
06-22-2005, 09:04 PM
tHE nORTH FORK RIVER IS GREAT. pUT IN AT hAMMONDS CAMP GROUND.

tommykat
06-22-2005, 09:09 PM
I love the North Fork/I like Twin Bridges but that would be a drive for you. Bennett Springs is awesome also........................both are spring fed and colder than chit, but beautiful~

Rukdafaidas
06-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Have you ever canoed Elk River or Big Sugar? They're very popular and have many campgrounds to choose from. The two rivers run next to each other, so if you plan on staying a couple of days, you could do both.
Most of the campgrounds are located around Pineville, MO and Noel, Mo area. Which is about 40 minutes straight south of Joplin.

Skip Towne
06-22-2005, 09:41 PM
I've canoed the Current Alot of times, but its been several years, and the Jacks' fork a few times.

Alot of snakes at both, the Current is a little Faster river than Jack's fork. We always started at Montawk on day, and then did about 3 half day trips, usually camp at or near Eagle Grove?.

My favorite part of the Current, is being behind some suckass canoers, or camping near a crash log in fast water......and pulling that free Cold beer out of the water.

Last 2 times there, I found Cash in the river, typical canoe stuff, and I've seen a tupperware thing full of doobies pulled out of the water.....and disposed of in a way that would make Skip shart a little....

Toss in an ultralight, some small spinners and a can of corn and stop and catch some trout and smallies along the way.
Hey, Clevis, are you trying to make me cry?

keg in kc
06-22-2005, 09:44 PM
So you admit you're a "floater"?Hey, at least he didn't start out with "I've just started paddling again. I'm fairly experienced."

ENDelt260
06-22-2005, 09:46 PM
If you're on the Current the weekend after the 4th you can run into my drunken fraternity brothers. I don't know what section we do though... I was always drunk. Even the year I organized it. Which is why I insist the arrests weren't my fault.

chiefs4me
06-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Hey, Clevis, are you trying to make me cry?

I almost fell outta my chair reading it.....ROFL

Saggysack
06-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Not anywhere near KC but you should try floating down the Illinois River in Tahlequah, OK sometime. I had a fantastic time. Nothing but 2 days of fun. It is a class 2 river so it isn't any problem for a family with children to navigate.

http://www.shopoklahoma.com/illinoiR.htm

Simplex3
06-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Anybody been on the Niabrara in NE? I'm on my way up there soon.

BigChiefFan
06-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Have you ever canoed Elk River or Big Sugar? They're very popular and have many campgrounds to choose from. The two rivers run next to each other, so if you plan on staying a couple of days, you could do both.
Most of the campgrounds are located around Pineville, MO and Noel, Mo area. Which is about 40 minutes straight south of Joplin.
We used to float the Elk River every year. That place used to kick ass, Haven't been in at least 6 years. Noel is a cool little party town.

Herzig
06-23-2005, 06:37 AM
Not anywhere near KC but you should try floating down the Illinois River in Tahlequah, OK sometime. I had a fantastic time. Nothing but 2 days of fun. It is a class 2 river so it isn't any problem for a family with children to navigate.

http://www.shopoklahoma.com/illinoiR.htm

I've been there many times. I've been to the Elk too. Probably the roughest place I've canoed is the Mulberry River near Fort Smith, Arkansas. Several people drown there every year. I had never tipped in a canoe before I went there and we tipped at least 4 times. The river was up though due to a lot of rain.

Dartgod
06-23-2005, 06:38 AM
We canoe the Elk every June. Beautiful river and decent fishing, but a bit slow, which is ok since we make a 4 mile float last 6 hours.

We're thinking of going back there in August but not sure if it will be too low or not.

Chief Henry
06-23-2005, 06:58 AM
Huzzah River near Cuba, Mo has been nice the 3 or 4 times we've gone done it. But this river seams to be a favorite of Dikes to float on too.

Its been 5 or 6 years since we've been on it, but for several years in a row our group always met on the same weekend that numerous Dike chicks were floating on it too. We're talking 4-7 canoe's of Dike chicks.
They had squirt guns that looked like a mans.......I told the guy who always planned our trip that he must be tight with the Dikes that came the same weekend.

Bob Dole
06-23-2005, 07:04 AM
Huzzah River near Cuba, Mo has been nice the 3 or 4 times we've gone done it. But this river seams to be a favorite of Dikes to float on too.

Its been 5 or 6 years since we've been on it, but for several years in a row our group always met on the same weekend that numerous Dike chicks were floating on it too. We're talking 4-7 canoe's of Dike chicks.
They had squirt guns that looked like a mans.......I told the guy who always planned our trip that he must be tight with the Dikes that came the same weekend.

How about Levees? Does is have a lot of Levees, too?

NTTAWWT.

JimNasium
06-23-2005, 07:05 AM
I'd go the extra distance and check out the Buffalo River in northern Arkansas. I think it's head and shoulders above the Missouri floats.

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 07:11 AM
I've been there many times. I've been to the Elk too. Probably the roughest place I've canoed is the Mulberry River near Fort Smith, Arkansas. Several people drown there every year. I had never tipped in a canoe before I went there and we tipped at least 4 times. The river was up though due to a lot of rain.
I'll bet that was the year Clinton took all the dykes to Washington. That caused a lot of flooding in Arkansas.

StcChief
06-23-2005, 07:53 AM

Current River is the best in MO. IMHO. Clear, fast water when enough to suppliment the cold spring fed water. South of Rolla off I44.

Beautiful country....

Pulltite, Akers Ferry have camping.

It's a bit of a hike from KS.

Long weekend would be perfect.

Chief Henry
06-23-2005, 07:56 AM
I'd go the extra distance and check out the Buffalo River in northern Arkansas. I think it's head and shoulders above the Missouri floats.

I've been on the buffalo and current rivers too. Both are nice too.

I've never had a bad float trip. Whenyour with good friends its hard to beat a float trip with the right people.

redbrian
06-23-2005, 07:58 AM

I wouldn't say that the Buffalo is heads and shoulders above Missouri streams but it is damn nice, with a lot of nice scenery.

The problem in Aug (as with a lot of Missouri streams) is that you will have to drag your canoe over some low water points.

I would have to concur and say the Current or 7-Point would be your best bet in Aug, although the streams may be crowded.

Herzig
06-23-2005, 08:05 AM

I believe the Buffalo is very scenic from what I hear. It is also the only river in the US that is considered a national park. uh-oh...here comes the endless onslaught of Arkansas jokes.

ChiefsOne
06-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Here is the river where I am from. Beautiful spring river a refreshing 58 year around. Pretty fast but not dangerous and River Side Resort is a great place to stay.

I have been floating on the Spring River for 30 years and never have to drag you canoe over the falls. The spring that feeds it is the largest (or top 3) in the US.

5-5 1/2 hours from KC.

http://www.arkansascanoe.com/

dollar1
06-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Keg, I can talk outta both sides of my mouth :rolleyes: I did a lot of paddling growing up. Now that the kids can participate, time to get at it again.

Is the Buffalo in Arkansas spring fed? How for from KC?

There were some great responses. Keep in mind, we'll be going in Aug. Thus only spring fed will be a choice.

At this time, I'm leaning toward the Upper (northern) part of the Current. It seems a tad closer with good water. Any more ideas on which part to paddle on the Current?

~Under rock~

Hoover
06-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Come on up to Iowa

http://www.chimneyrocks.com/

Chief Henry
06-23-2005, 12:11 PM
How about Levees? Does is have a lot of Levees, too?

NTTAWWT.

huh !

NewChief
06-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Buffalo is not spring fed and the water will be extremely low in August. Beautiful river, though.

NewChief
06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
What about the Eleven Point, by the way? I think it would be closer to KC than the Current, and it is spring fed. I've never floated it, but I've been wanting to for a while.

dollar1
06-23-2005, 02:02 PM
I believe the 11 point is SE of the Current and Jacks Fork. My sister, who has been coordinating all of this stuff in the past, has been on it and thought it was nice.

I was looking at the map while my wife was driving our UNDER POWERED PIECE OF @##%% NEW TRAILBLAZER (that's on another thread). It looked like the upper Current was the closest spring fed river.

Somebody mentioned the Elk river...I'll have to check into that one. Sounds like it is a straight shot south to Joplin.

Then this sounded nice. Jacks Fork was about an hour further north. So it might be too far for this next trip.

Here is the river where I am from. Beautiful spring river a refreshing 58 year around. Pretty fast but not dangerous and River Side Resort is a great place to stay.

Thanks for the help folks.

~Done sunning, Back under the Rock~

ptlyon
06-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Hey rock boy - got some friends heading down here this weekend:

http://www.indianspringsresort.net/

mlyonsd
06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Isn't Missouri where Burt Reynolds and Ned Beatty canoed?

mlyonsd
06-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Anybody been on the Niabrara in NE? I'm on my way up there soon.

I've canoed/tubed the Nobrara several times. Be careful, there are spots along the way that are part of the Parks department and don't allow alcohol. You can get fined if you make it visibile. At least thats the way it was the last time I was there. I think as long as you keep it in koosies and aren't obnoxious they'll let it slide.

If you go past Smith Park be sure to hike the 5 minutes to see the Falls. They're kinda cool.

dollar1
06-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Ptlyon,

Looks like they are going on the Meramec River. Let me know how it goes. I'm thinking the river will be lakeish. We went on the Big Piney river. Choose the 14 mile float. They didn't tell me that the current was only .5 mph. Basically a lake. Won't do that again.

This was the wifes first trip. She blisters all over her hands. Maybe that's why she got the smaller engine for the new truck :banghead:

~Rock Boy goes back Under~

dollar1
06-23-2005, 02:47 PM
I live on the KS NE border. Is there decent rivers that flow to paddle? Where abouts?

~maybe I'll stay on my rock to listen~

ptlyon
06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
I live on the KS NE border. Is there decent rivers that flow to paddle? Where abouts?

~maybe I'll stay on my rock to listen~

It's right up by Valentine, NE.

Northern part of NE.

Big Slick
06-23-2005, 03:03 PM
One more vote here for the Current River. I always stayed at Montauk at a friends cabin, but there's campgrounds around, too. Lots of locations for putting in and getting out so that you can plan whatever length of float you want.

http://www.currentrivercanoe.com/

dollar1
06-24-2005, 10:06 AM
A good site for research is www.paddling.net. They have a nice message board. There is a wealth of info and very helpful.

~Back Under My Rock~

penguinz
06-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Current is a good choice for August. Just do yourself a favor and camp on the river and not in a camp ground. Find yoursellf a spot by some rapids so you get a nice cool breeze to help cool off.

For a spring trip you have to give the Buffalo a try. The north section can get pretty rough during the wet season. The middle section is better if you are inexperienced or have kids with you.

beavis
06-29-2005, 08:59 AM
Bennett Springs State Park, it has the river, camping, interstate, floating, fishing and about anything else you want. 11 miles from Lebanon, 30 min from Osage Beach, and 1 hour from Springfield....it's on the web.
You can't float Bennett. The river you were on was the Niangua.

beavis
06-29-2005, 09:00 AM
One more vote here for the Current River. I always stayed at Montauk at a friends cabin, but there's campgrounds around, too. Lots of locations for putting in and getting out so that you can plan whatever length of float you want.

http://www.currentrivercanoe.com/
Make sure you stop by Akers Ferry. The folks there are insteresting to say the least.

Dartgod
06-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Anyone ever floated the Little Niangua?

We're planing a trip for mid-August and was thinking of heading back to the Elk, but I'm afraid it will be too low in August. I was reading about the Little Niangua and see that it is floatable year-round because of the springs that feed it. Just wondering if anyone has ever been there.

penguinz
07-01-2005, 09:43 AM
You can't float Bennett. The river you were on was the Niangua.Niangua :( There is less paddeling involved on a lake than on the Niangua. But the slowness of it makes it a nice beer drinking river.

dollar1
07-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Did the Big Piney...ditto.

Sucked :banghead:

But from a different stand point...if one just wants to float ssslllllooooowwwwlllllyyyyyy and drink beer, that's fine. I want go and have the most rapids available. Then park below them and watch the wipe outs ROFL