PDA

View Full Version : Do you smoke?

Rain Man
06-23-2005, 04:04 PM
By that, I mean inhaling burning tobacco fumes, not emanating smoke if you're on fire.

Poll forthcoming.

If you smoke a pipe, cigars, or chew tobacco, please convert your consumption to an equivalent of packs of cigarettes per day.

KC Kings
06-23-2005, 04:19 PM
I smoked from the time I was 15 until I was 25 and my wife got pregnant. I was up to over 2 packs a day when I quit, but I was in the Navy working 80 hours a week at sea and took as many smoke breaks as possible. I quit cold turkey with no problems except the 25 pound weight gain, making me gain more during my wifes pregnancy than she did. I am not even old and I remember when I would buy Basic's because they were $5 compared to $7 a carton for Marlboro's at the PX.

If I get stressed at work, I still go out to the smoke deck for a few minutes. I think that the break part of a smoke break does just as good as the smoke part.

JimNasium
06-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Just as a point of clarification for potheads like Skip, you are talking about tobacco and not hippie lettuce, right?

munkey
06-23-2005, 04:28 PM
You forgot the pipe option %(/

ChiefsOne
06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Never have, never will. I think it is disgusting!

Buster's Dad
06-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Smoked from the time I was 20 till last march, Smoked my last one on the morning of my back surgery, quit cold turkey, got by fine except for the 20 pound weight gain. in 43 years sure burned a lot of money :cuss:

Reaper16
06-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Nope. Never will.

Calcountry
06-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Frankly, I miss the smell of quality tobacco burning at a baseball game. It use to make me hungry for hot dogs. Immagine that, a little Pavlov conditioning eh.

keg in kc
06-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Never have, other than the rare cigar here and there. I think cigarettes are one of the most f*cking disgusting things ever conceived.

munkey
06-23-2005, 04:39 PM
If you smoke a pipe, cigars, or chew tobacco, please convert your consumption to an equivalent of packs of cigarettes per day.

Didn't catch that....

I don't keep track of how much tobacco as it's ususally dried up before I get a chance to smoke a full pouch.

~Love the smell - reminds me of my grandpa~

Just bought this one BTW....

Rain Man
06-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Just as a point of clarification for potheads like Skip, you are talking about tobacco and not hippie lettuce, right?

Yes, tobacco only. We will not count the smoking of marijuana, hashish, crack, gasoline, twigs, pork, or other non-tobacco materials.

Ari Chi3fs
06-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I smoked my last tobacco cigarette in 1997. Linked more pain to smoking... and eliminated my feeling of pleasure for smoking cigs...

we are driven by both pain and pleasure... so controlling those help you give up shit you dont need to do.

munkey
06-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Now that I think of it I'm going to take my pipe Bass fishing tomorrow.. :p

Beer, fish, boat and a good smoke...

I'll be thinking of you bastards tomorrow.... :)

Frazod
06-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Pack a day. :Pimp:

stevieray
06-23-2005, 05:05 PM
no, the cigarette does.

ZepSinger
06-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Nevah.

Coach
06-23-2005, 05:23 PM
I don't smoke. I do, however, do smokeless tobacco.

BIG_DADDY
06-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Cigars

ExtremeChief
06-23-2005, 05:31 PM
absolutely

Hydrae
06-23-2005, 05:43 PM
About 1/2 pack a day for the last 26 years.

dilligaf
06-23-2005, 06:43 PM
I used to smoke 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day. I quit eight years ago and promptly gained 70 pounds. :cuss:

eazyb81
06-23-2005, 06:54 PM
I used to be a regular smoker, but I kept getting sick so I cut back drastically. Now I only smoke when I drink, and even then I usually share a cigarette with my girlfriend (who also only smokes when she drinks). So I am guessing that I personally smoke about 1 pack a month, and it looks like I am the only person on here like that.

milkman
06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
I smoked from the time I was 15 until I was 25 and my wife got pregnant. I was up to over 2 packs a day when I quit, but I was in the Navy working 80 hours a week at sea and took as many smoke breaks as possible. I quit cold turkey with no problems except the 25 pound weight gain, making me gain more during my wifes pregnancy than she did. I am not even old and I remember when I would buy Basic's because they were $5 compared to $7 a carton for Marlboro's at the PX.

If I get stressed at work, I still go out to the smoke deck for a few minutes. I think that the break part of a smoke break does just as good as the smoke part.

Smoking lamp is lit.

I smoke 2 packs a day.

DJay23
06-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Used to go through cigars pretty regularly for a few years. A buddy and I used to sit on the porch, smoke cigars, drink beer, and listen to music all summer long. Now I only smoke cigars on rare occasions and have taken to social smoking. A friend of mine likes to smoke when she drinks, so I have a smoke or two with her. Turns out the nicotine buzz kicks my ass harder than 5-10 beers do.

SCTrojan
06-23-2005, 07:42 PM
cigars every now and then.

Delano
06-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I remember the first and last time I smoked a cig quite vividly.

I was about 15 and my friend was a chain smoker. After high school we'd drive my POS '89 ford taurus around our small town. I decided I'd bum a couple of smokes and try smoking. My buddy also broke out a can of chew and I popped a dip in at the same time I was smoking my second cigarette. Around that time I was driving out on a gravel road to the railroad track. The track was about four to five feet above the road level so there was a very steep incline on either side of the railroad. We would get up a decent speed and ramp that track quite often after school, and usually without seeing if another car was coming. Oh yeah, adrenaline rushes combined with my first major cigarette/chew buzz and that sinking feeling of getting a little air over our ramp wreaked havoc on my stomach. I puked all over my car and spit the chew out the window.

I sat on that gravel road with my door ajar for about an hour puking bile and feeling like shit. To this day I get sick off nicotene buzzes and whenever I hear Rob Zombie's Dragula song. My buddy was playing that in my CD player at the time. Damn that afternoon sucked ass.

I will puff on a good cigar every once in a while.

HemiEd
06-23-2005, 07:49 PM
About 1/2 pack a day for the last 26 years.

We Seals have something else in common, 1/2 pack for forty years.

StcChief
06-23-2005, 08:20 PM
What about an occasional cigar. Weekends at club.....

Michael Michigan
06-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Cigars

Indeed.

http://www.hannabery.com/pics/cigarsmoke2.jpg

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-23-2005, 08:25 PM
I used to smoke a pack a day for 17 years. I thought I was a chain smoker. I quit cold turkey 3 years ago and have never missed those nasty things.
I just cant understand how anyone could smoke 2 packs a day. My god you would have to damn near have one every 15 minutes or so.

Count Zarth
06-23-2005, 08:29 PM
I smoke cigars on a regular (but rare) basis. Good ones maybe once or twice a month and Backwoods if I'm really bored. I had my first cig at the age of 7 but never inhaled and still can't - too gross.

go bowe
06-23-2005, 08:31 PM
well, let's see...

i started smoking when i was 14, the same time i started smoking the other stuff...

i chewed a pipe for awhile when i was going to school...

but mostly just smoked cigarettes, sometimes up to 3 packs a day, until i quit at 39 in 1987...

but, when my wife is around, i get large doses of second hand smoke and i don't see that changing any time soon...

ENDelt260
06-23-2005, 08:34 PM
I started smoking at 19. I think when I peaked I would regularly burn through like a half a pack a day. More on weekends or days when I went out to the bar. Give me a week like Spring Break or Pat's, when I'm partying constantly, I'll burn through a carton.

The smokers at the fraternity house used to take hourly smoke breaks during study hours. When I graduated, I just kept doing the same thing at work. Then I just stopped taking my cigarettes to work. No real reason that I recall... just kinda happened. Don't really smoke much at home anymore either. Pretty much only smoke when I'm out drinking anymore. I don't even keep cigarettes at the house usually... I'll just pick up a pack on Friday after work. Ideally I can make that pack last me both Friday and Saturday, but that doesn't always happen.

Count Zarth
06-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Used to go through cigars pretty regularly for a few years. A buddy and I used to sit on the porch, smoke cigars, drink beer, and listen to music all summer long. Now I only smoke cigars on rare occasions and have taken to social smoking. A friend of mine likes to smoke when she drinks, so I have a smoke or two with her. Turns out the nicotine buzz kicks my ass harder than 5-10 beers do.

Oh, for sure. Smoking a quality cigar will f*ck me up to the point where I feel like I'm pretty wasted (I don't get the festive mood, just a little discoordination and dizzines).

ENDelt260
06-23-2005, 08:35 PM
but, when my wife is around, i get large doses of second hand smoke and i don't see that changing any time soon...

You should ask the gubment to ban smoking in your house.

Miles
06-23-2005, 09:37 PM
I used to smoke kinda heavily whenever I drink, but lately I have been trying real hard quit completly. Over the past month and a half I have only caved once when I was really wasted a few weeks ago. Havnt had a cig in three weeks but it gets really hard sometime when im out drinking.

kc rush
06-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Never. I never saw the point.

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Smoked for nine years. Quit in '96...

luv
06-24-2005, 01:22 AM
I did the normal peer-pressure-smoking-because-I-thought-it-made-me-look-cool-yet-never-actually-inhaling type of thing in like junior high, but have not smoked since.

ENDelt260
06-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Never. I never saw the point.
Eh, there's not much point in most things I do. I never let that stop me.

mikey23545
06-24-2005, 03:11 AM
Frankly, I miss the smell of quality tobacco burning at a baseball game. It use to make me hungry for hot dogs. Immagine that, a little Pavlov conditioning eh.

How the smell of those damn things could possibly make someone hungry is beyond me....

chagrin
06-24-2005, 06:19 AM
had the habit for 14 years, quit cold turkey

Kerberos
06-24-2005, 06:35 AM
If people that smoked knew just how disgusting they smell after toking on a butt or two they would probably quit. But since most don't have a clue or just don't give a flying rats ass either way I guess we will always have disgusting smelling ButtHeads around.

As you can guess I have NEVER smoked cigs, cigars, or pipe tobacco. I don't care for blunts either just because of the cigar taste and smell. Give me a zig zag or joker wraper anyday compared to cigar paper. BTW: I don't do that anymore either.

:D

Skip Towne
06-24-2005, 06:52 AM
If people that smoked knew just how disgusting they smell after toking on a butt or two they would probably quit. But since most don't have a clue or just don't give a flying rats ass either way I guess we will always have disgusting smelling ButtHeads around.

As you can guess I have NEVER smoked cigs, cigars, or pipe tobacco. I don't care for blunts either just because of the cigar taste and smell. Give me a zig zag or joker wraper anyday compared to cigar paper. BTW: I don't do that anymore either.

I know some non smokers that are disgusting buttheads.

chagrin
06-24-2005, 07:02 AM
I know some non smokers that are disgusting buttheads.
ROFL

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 07:09 AM
When I went to Orlando a month ago, a guy got on the plane that had a cigar in his mouth, not lit of course. He was also on the plane ride back, again with a cigar.

Is this is a common practice? Just having a cigar in your mouth?

Goapics1
06-24-2005, 07:11 AM
I used to smoke when I went to bars in college over 10 yrs ago. Don't do anymore though.

Kerberos
06-24-2005, 07:14 AM
When I went to Orlando a month ago, a guy got on the plane that had a cigar in his mouth, not lit of course. He was also on the plane ride back, again with a cigar.

Is this is a common practice? Just having a cigar in your mouth?

Depends on what you consider "Cigars"????

Go Chiefs is rumored to be a Peter Puffer ... does that count?

Radar Chief
06-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Has this joke been dropped yet?

Two hookers are talking when one said to the other, I always smoke after sex. Do you? to which the other replied, I dont know, never looked.

Wichita Lineman
06-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Here's a friendly little warning for those of you who still smoke. I'm only 55 years old and I hope I see 56. I used to smoke and I could never say why. It wasn't because I enjoyed it particularly. I quit 3 years ago but that was to late. I'm now unable to do much,I'm on disability because I can't breath good enough to walk to my pick up with out being out of breath. I can't enjoy doing much with my family because I can't walk around anywhere they would want to go. I hear you guys talking on here about tailgating at the games and how great it is to go to one. I can't because I'd never make it from the parking lot to the stadium. So the next time you light one up think of me because tomorrow it could be you. Please stop now.

Iowanian
06-24-2005, 07:32 AM
smoking sucks baows. dirty, unwashed, camping in the desert for a month in thick pants...baows.

BigRedChief
06-24-2005, 07:42 AM
By that, I mean inhaling burning tobacco fumes, not emanating smoke if you're on fire.

Poll forthcoming.

Your smoking history is measured medically in pack years. How many packs per day you smoked x how many years. In my case I smoked a pack a day for 13 years. So I have a 13 pack year history.

As a former smoker and having worked as a Registered Respiratory Therapist for 10 years I have some strong opinions on this matter but will not force them on you here. But let me point out something you may never have considered........

I have seen the pain of the families from long time smoking. The smoker is usually resigned to his fate but its his guilt and remorse for causing his family pain that is the hardest for them to face.

PS> A higher % of Respiratory Therapist smoke tobacco than does the average person in the U.S.

morphius
06-24-2005, 07:43 AM
My parents encouraged my curiousness and allowed me to share a single drag of one of the neighbors cigs when I was 8, that was enough for me...

Lzen
06-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Eh, my dad smoked for most of his life. I remember my mom letting me try a drag around 5 years old. I hated it. My mom and I would walk around the house with rags covering our mouths to block the smoke inhalation. Swore I'd never, ever smoke.

I gave in to peer pressure and started smoking at 15. Smoked a pack a day until I was 21. Wife and I had agreed (even before she was my wife) that we would quit smoking when we decided to have our first child. So, we quit when we found out she was pregnant. She started back up after my first son was born but I busted her and then made her quit. I gained 30-40 pounds but I'm certain that's much better than the damage years of smoking would do to my body.

I do smoke the cigar on rare occasions. Usually when I'm drinking and that's not too often these days. And no, I never inhaled cigars.

My dad is in terrible shape. Like Wichita Lineman said in post #50, it makes it a job just to walk a short distance. Hell, my dad is out of breath just walking to the toilet. And that could be how some of you smokers end up. That is a shitty way to live your last few years. Not only for you but also for your family.

Radar Chief
06-24-2005, 09:19 AM
My dad used to smoke and when I was younger Id sneak one thinkn I was kewl.
So that makes me wonder, how many of you that smoke or have smoked for any period of time had parents that smoked?

Iowanian
06-24-2005, 09:20 AM
If I ever start smoking.......I'll add some lube before that lumber doesn't catch on fire.

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 09:24 AM
My dad smoked. He quit. Him smoking was one of the main reasons I don't smoke now.

Rain Man
06-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Here's a friendly little warning for those of you who still smoke. I'm only 55 years old and I hope I see 56. I used to smoke and I could never say why. It wasn't because I enjoyed it particularly. I quit 3 years ago but that was to late. I'm now unable to do much,I'm on disability because I can't breath good enough to walk to my pick up with out being out of breath. I can't enjoy doing much with my family because I can't walk around anywhere they would want to go. I hear you guys talking on here about tailgating at the games and how great it is to go to one. I can't because I'd never make it from the parking lot to the stadium. So the next time you light one up think of me because tomorrow it could be you. Please stop now.

Wow. Thanks for the warning. I hope you recover from it and get to enjoy those things again.

morphius
06-24-2005, 09:37 AM
My grandfather is in pretty much the same boat, though a bit older. Had to take breaks walking out to get the mail from the mail box...

MichaelH
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Here's a friendly little warning for those of you who still smoke. I'm only 55 years old and I hope I see 56. I used to smoke and I could never say why. It wasn't because I enjoyed it particularly. I quit 3 years ago but that was to late. I'm now unable to do much,I'm on disability because I can't breath good enough to walk to my pick up with out being out of breath. I can't enjoy doing much with my family because I can't walk around anywhere they would want to go. I hear you guys talking on here about tailgating at the games and how great it is to go to one. I can't because I'd never make it from the parking lot to the stadium. So the next time you light one up think of me because tomorrow it could be you. Please stop now.I'm not a smoker other than the occasional cigar while fishing or drinking with old friends. My wife on the other hand is a smoker that's trying to quit. When she was pregnant with both of our sons, she could quit cold turkey only to start a few months after each was born. She's tried most of the things out there without any luck. She's been on vacation for the past week so I don't know how this week has been but I hope she's keeping on track. I am going to show her your post Wichita Lineman and hope your message gets through to her.

siberian khatru
06-24-2005, 11:19 AM
1-2 cigars on weekends.

KCTitus
06-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Smoked from age 16-26 ~ pack a day, quit cold turkey when my kids asked me to stop. Loved smoking and I missed it, but stayed away.

Started up again about 2 years ago ~ half pack a day. Quit cold turkey back in January. Still miss it.

I guess it's possible I could pick it back up again, but I doubt it. The worst part for me was being around someone who smoked and after getting a few drinks in me, seeing that pack sitting there, I was enticed to pick one up and have a smoke.

There is no better combination than alcohol and nicotine...of that, Im convinced.