PDA

View Full Version : What is the best(cheapest) way to get a room?

KChiefs1
06-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Here's my situation....I booked a room online through Lodging.com which my wife said was supposedly the cheapest way to get a room.

We get to the hotel & check-in...we had a nice weekend stay & when we checked out they ran our credit card for incidentals & such...

We got the bill today & both Lodging.com & the hotel had charged us for the stay...no problem getting it straightened out, but Lodging.com charged us $185 while the hotel only billed us $155. I would like the Lodging.com bill taken off but they say that it's the hotel which screwed up therefore the $155 will be refunded back to the credit card while the higher $185 charge stays on the bill. I asked Lodging.com why they were charging me more since "supposedly" they were the cheapest route to go? They told me I couldn't have gotten the room at the hotel for that cheap. I explained that the hotel only charged me $155, but they said I couldn't have gotten that rate off the street. I argued for at least 30 minutes without getting resolved. The hotel has now called & told me they are taking off their charge for $155, which I knew they would do, but I still think the $185 charge should come off not the $155.

Does any of this make sense? I think I'm getting the shaft on this deal, but no one seems to understand why I think that....should I be upset & what would you guys do? :deevee:

Phobia
06-23-2005, 08:57 PM
You can't get that rate off the street. The hotel sends lodging.com a $30 check for the referral. They screwed up and charged you, thereby tipping you off.

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Bend over fat boy.

unlurking
06-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Yep.

All those sites always seem $5 - $30 higher than if you check prices on the hotel, air, or car rental website or call directly.

Phobia
06-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Yep.

All those sites always seem $5 - $30 higher than if you check prices on the hotel, air, or car rental website or call directly.

I challenge you to prove that. I've tried to get over on that system. It doesn't work.

tommykat
06-23-2005, 09:32 PM
There are sights to go to for hotels/motels that you get quiet good discounts.....My friend I work with told me about it, unfortuntely I don't know the place to tell anyone.

Chit happens, and you got it................sorry

Phobia
06-23-2005, 09:34 PM
My friend I work with told me about it, unfortuntely I don't know the place to tell anyone.

Was it by any chance www.lodging.com?

Dartgod
06-23-2005, 09:36 PM
There are sights to go to for hotels/motels that you get quiet good discounts.....My friend I work with told me about it...
Does your friend know of a web site that can find noisy hotels for cheap?

tommykat
06-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Does your friend know of a web site that can find noisy hotels for cheap?

ROFL SURE BUDDY......:)

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 09:40 PM
There are sights to go to for hotels/motels that you get quiet good discounts.....My friend I work with told me about it, unfortuntely I don't know the place to tell anyone.

Chit happens, and you got it................sorry
So you're working? What are you doing?

tommykat
06-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Was it by any chance www.lodging.com? (http://www.lodging.com?)

NOPE :shake: Chit head...........

BigRedChief
06-24-2005, 07:32 AM
I just booked a 18 day trip in 4 different cities and used 3 different websites. You have to spend some time to look around the net for the best deal. You will save alot of money using your time to surf the best deals.

I use:
Expedia.com
Hotwire.com
Travelocity.com

But I also check the "official" sites of the hotels. I've got better deals there before.

Chiefnj
06-24-2005, 07:40 AM
On weekends larger hotels often save large blocks of rooms for weddings or similar events. It always pay to bluff when you call and say you're coming into town for a wedding and were told they have rooms at a discount. The people getting married are too busy taking care of the reception hall, limo, flowers, church, etc., they'll never check the hotel list to see who's staying and who's not.

Rukdafaidas
06-24-2005, 07:43 AM
I've only used Priceline a couple of times, but with great success.
I've stayed at both the Hyatt Regency and Hotel Phillips for $55/night, plus tax and small service fee.
The Hotel Phillips stay was for the minicamp a couple of weeks ago and the total came to $73/night. It's a four star hotel in the financial district and I would guess the cost is normally much higher.

chief52
06-24-2005, 08:06 AM
On the advice of a fellow planeteer, I tried Priceline for a room in KC Sept 30 through Oct 3. I bid $50 for a four star in Country Club Plaza or Downtown/Crown Center. They made you check two areas among quite a few. $50 was rejected. You have to wait 72 hours after your bid is rejected. After 72 hours I bid $55 dollars. It was rejected, but they said if you raise it $15 to $70 your bid will be accepted. I figured what the hell. I got two rooms for $70 each for 3 nights at the Westin Crown Center. I think I got a good deal, but we will see.

unlurking
06-24-2005, 09:14 AM
I challenge you to prove that. I've tried to get over on that system. It doesn't work.
For a trip (03 July - 08 July) from Denver to DC (Dulles) which is s typical trip for me. I usually head out on a Sunday, and come back on a Friday night.

Expedia $446.40:
Sun Jul-3-2005
Denver (DEN)
Depart 8:34 am to Washington DC (IAD)
Flight: 348
Economy/Coach Class

Sat Jul-16-2005
Washington DC (IAD)
Depart 5:25 pm to Denver (DEN)
Flight: 903
Economy/Coach Class

Orbitz $448:
Does not offer the return filght possibilities I need (early evening), so simply took the cheapest non-stop (that wouldn't really fit my schedule).

www.ual.com $441.10:
Denver, CO (DEN) to Washington, DC (IAD) Sunday, Jul 3
United Airlines 348
Airbus A319 Jul 03 8:34 am depart DEN
Class: Coach

Washington, DC (IAD) to Denver, CO (DEN) Saturday, Jul 9
United Airlines 903
Boeing 777 Jul 09 5:25 pm depart IAD
Class: Coach

Now, I will admit, I ALWAYS have specific schedule requirements (like not taking a redeye out, coming home the evening my work finishes), which may be the problem. If I took redeyes out, I could get it approximately $11 cheaper on expedia ($393 vs. $404 on UAL). But, I can't land a few hours before I need to start working. So maybe if you are more flexible on your schedule than me, you can find better rates.

As for hotel, I always stay at Marriott as I have reached gold status and enjoy getting free nights for personal use. They also offer gov rates, which I can't get at online resllers, so no way are they ever cheaper.

As for car, it has already taken me close to half an hour to make this post, I might look it up later.

Phobia
06-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Oh - my apologies. I was speaking specifically to motels. I've no doubt your corporate and VIP cards can get you better flights and rental cars. But I've tried making reservations through priceline and then negotiating for a better rate at several different hotels and couldn't get within $20 of the priceline rate.

unlurking
06-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Oh - my apologies. I was speaking specifically to motels. I've no doubt your corporate and VIP cards can get you better flights and rental cars. But I've tried making reservations through priceline and then negotiating for a better rate at several different hotels and couldn't get within $20 of the priceline rate.
Ahh, haven't really tried hotels in the last few years. I get gov rate for business and with Marriott I earn enough points a year from bus travel to get several free nights a year. My parents all have 6 weeks of time shares that can be traded globally, so I usually get a week or two of those for free for family vaca.

And after actually looking at flight stuff on a more flexible schedule, it looks like I probably could save a little coin on airfare, though had never really tried before. I may start checking these again for personal use.

ChiTown
06-24-2005, 09:27 AM
I use nothing but Priceline.com for business, and I have had excellent success. If you are looking for pleasure travel, it's a mixed bag.

Predarat
06-24-2005, 09:31 AM
I once got a five dollar room by buying a nasty $5 whore w/room included, kicked the nasty bitch out and had the room all to myself. In all seriousness I always compare sites such as Hotels.com and the home site of the hotel. Sometimes call the 800 number of the hotel gets you a good deal beacuse the person on the other end has a 'close rate' they have to keep up with. So if you call about a room and pretend not to want it after they tell you the price or tell them you will call back sometimes they give you a good deal. Its kind of like scalpers, never buy a ticket from them until you have started to walk away at least once or twice.

AirForceChief
06-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Go into the hotel and demand the nicest room they have available. Then go enjoy: room service, wet bar, jakuzi, on-demand movies, etc. Then, just before check out, stuff a dead hooker into the matress, call the front desk to complain...Often times you'll get the room and maybe even the movies for free.

ChiTown
06-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Go into the hotel and demand the nicest room they have available. Then go enjoy: room service, wet bar, jakuzi, on-demand movies, etc. Then, just before check out, stuff a dead hooker into the matress, call the front desk to complain...Often times you'll get the room and maybe even the movies for free.

BRILLIANT!

http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/12/27/inside1-guinness.jpg