PDA

View Full Version : Al Saunders was just on 610 for the last half hour...

Coogs
06-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Lots of talk about how he keeps the offense ahead of the curve, what Freddie Mitchell brings, opening four game stretch, etc. for the first 20 minutes or so.

Then they got around to the defense...

Said he would be shocked if this defense is not a top 15 defense, and surprised if it is not a top 10 defense. Said even though the pads have not been strapped on yet, he has been around OTA's and mini-camps for 25 or so years in the NFL, and this defense has the most talent that he has ever been around. Said this team has more talent than the 93 defense, and he proceded to name the 93 cast. Gave special note to the speed and cover skills of the LB's we have now. Linemen, he mentioned were Saivii, Dalton, and Hall.

There was a bit more, stuff like Surtain will make Kennison better type things, but the defense was the interesting part for me.

tyton75
06-24-2005, 09:26 AM
what did he say that FredEx would bring to the team?

ptlyon
06-24-2005, 09:27 AM

Donuts. New signees have to bring donuts.

C-Mac
06-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Donuts. New signees have to bring donuts.

ROFL

CoMoChief
06-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Yeah I'm not at all worried about the offense, let alone should anyone else be worried about it. What's one more season as far as age goes, whenever no one has reallly showed any major signs of slowing down.

The fact that we are 8 O-linemen deep in Shields, Roaf, Waters, Weigman, Black, Welbourn, Sampson and Chris Bober is amazing. You could put Brett Williams in there too. I feel really good about that since that's where all the offense has to start.

Our running back situation has never been better in recent history of the Chiefs. Having Priest and LJ in the backfield at the same time gives me a hard-on. I would even be alright with Jonathan Smith starting if for some God awful reason Priest and LJ were unable to play, (though I would NEVER want that to happen). I think we'll get a huge look at what he's able to do in the pre-season games and how his game has really turned up since playing in NFLEL.

Our TE situation has never been better either. We have the best TE core in the NFL by far, and we are gonna take advantage of that in every possible way. I also get hard-ons from knowing that Al Saunders is gonna have Kris Wilson and Tony G on the field at the same time. Just imagine if Tony G, Priest, Wilson and LJ were all on the field at the same time, what would we do in the minds of the opposing defense? Would we run the ball, pass? I'm so excited for this offense this year, even more excited to see them than our newly shaped "best defensive talent Al has ever seen" defense. Better than the 93 defense Al?!?! I hope you know what you're talking about as far as comparing a defense that was dominant in the NFL to an unproved defense that has speed and talent, but has yet to play a snap. If we really do look better than the '93 defense in the OTA's, then the whole league better be prepared for the most dominant NFL team the league has ever seen. But then again Al, what all do you know about defense? I choose not to believe anything DV says about the defense so why should I listen to you. Hopefully I will be eating my words come training camp and pre-season when I can see them with my own eyes. Dont get me wrong Al, I believe that our defense can be good, but top 10?!?! Considering we havent been anywhere in front of 25th in rankings for quite some time, that's really raising the bar, but maybe that's what we need as far as setting goals and trying to reach them, maybe that will bring a new attitude to our defense, PUT THE PADS ON BABY!!!!

Coogs
06-24-2005, 10:04 AM

First, he said he would bring a good quote for the media. ROFL

Then getting serious, he said he brings experience, and experience in big game situations. He went on to say he does not have the team made just because he was signed. But, he added that these last four days he looked better at route running and catching the ball than they had expected. Said he needs to do the same thing on an everyday basis if he wants to make the team.

BigRedChief
06-24-2005, 10:35 AM
First, he said he would bring a good quote for the media. ROFL

Then getting serious, he said he brings experience, and experience in big game situations. He went on to say he does not have the team made just because he was signed. But, he added that these last four days he looked better at route running and catching the ball than they had expected. Said he needs to do the same thing on an everyday basis if he wants to make the team.

So Fred-Ex has to make the team? No gaurantees?

htismaqe
06-24-2005, 10:46 AM
So Fred-Ex has to make the team? No gaurantees?

Nothing's changed. They've said all along that anybody they brought in would have to make the team.

Deberg_1990
06-24-2005, 04:18 PM

about 30 catches for 370 yards. 2 TD's

BigChiefFan
06-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Glad to hear Saunders concurs with me that Saivii looks like a beast out there.

the Talking Can
06-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Said he would be shocked if this defense is not a top 15 defense, and surprised if it is not a top 10 defense. Said even though the pads have not been strapped on yet, he has been around OTA's and mini-camps for 25 or so years in the NFL, and this defense has the most talent that he has ever been around. Said this team has more talent than the 93 defense, and he proceded to name the 93 cast. Gave special note to the speed and cover skills of the LB's we have now. Linemen, he mentioned were Saivii, Dalton, and Hall.
\

Yup...that is exactly what he said. I was shocked by his comments about the D rankings...I also thought it was noteworthy that he didn't mention Sims in his run down of D players.

As an OC, I think he is most impressed with the speed and potential of the LBs.

IMHO, he was excited about having a D that could legitimately challenge the offense in camp. He didn't say it, but you could sense it the way he spoke about the defense raising the bar and at one point he said something like "our offense has dominted the league for 3 years" and I think his real point was that the defense hasn't been close to their level of execution.

Personally, a bit off topic, I hope he is our next coach. I think he understands (or has learned, painfully) better than DV the need for a great D. He spoke at length, and with real admiration, about the 93 defense. And he remains, imho, the best offense mind in the game...in terms of using whatever you have and adapting the offense around it.

SNR
06-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Yup...that is exactly what he said. I was shocked by his comments about the D rankings...I also thought it was noteworthy that he didn't mention Sims in his run down of D players.

IMHO, he was excited about having a D that could legitimately challenge the offense in camp. He didn't say it, but you could sense it the way he spoke about the defense raising the bar and at one point he said something like "our offense has dominted the league for 3 years" and I think his real point was that the defense hasn't been close to their level of execution.

Personally, a bit off topic, I hope he is our next coach. I think he understands (or has learned, painfully) better than DV the need for a great D. He spoke at length, and with real admiration, about the 93 defense. And he remains, imho, the best offense mind in the game...in terms of using whatever you have and adapting the offense around it.Even better than Mike Martz????????????????///

LocoChiefsFan
06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
BRC, I just wanted to mention that I got stuck watching your sig for atleast 10 minutes.

HemiEd
06-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Personally, a bit off topic, I hope he is our next coach. I think he understands (or has learned, painfully) better than DV the need for a great D. He spoke at length, and with real admiration, about the 93 defense. And he remains, imho, the best offense mind in the game...in terms of using whatever you have and adapting the offense around it.

Great post, rep. :clap:

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 05:03 PM

I think this is pink smoke being blown up the fans collective azz.

This guy doesn't have any idea how good this D will be with pads during the regular season. Let alone better than the 93 D.

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Yup...that is exactly what he said. I was shocked by his comments about the D rankings...I'm not. With the number (and quality) of moves we made this offseason, I'd be disappointed with anything else. I get the impression that people are afraid to get excited because we've gotten burned everytime we expect some change, but as far as I'm concerned this is the kind of offseason that fans dream about.

And watching it at the mini-camp (such as it was...) it was like night and day from anything I've seen in the 7-8 years I've been here. I'd say it looked like 2-3 times as much athleticism in the back 7, with players who seemed to know where they're supposed to be. And there's depth. I can't even tell you how many starters I remember from the last few years that couldn't even get a roster spot with this group, especially at linebacker.

It's normal to be hesitant, of course. But these guys look good. If they look as good in August, and we stay healthy, we're gonna be a team that wins a lot of games, strong on both sides of the ball.

the Talking Can
06-24-2005, 05:11 PM

This guy doesn't have any idea how good this D will be with pads during the regular season. Let alone better than the 93 D.

He acknowledged that nothing matters until they put pads on...but my own impression from listening to him was that he was sincere in his opinion of their potential, this was not the usual ra-ra coach speak and the radio guys weren't setting him up to say nice things about the D either. He really expanded on the subject on his own initiative.

Just my .$02.

the Talking Can
06-24-2005, 05:14 PM
I get the impression that people are afraid to get excited because we've gotten burned everytime we expect some change,

I'm definitely in this category...and that's why I was so interested in his interview, because it was clear that he was serious...he wasn't just doing the coach-speak thing.

Its too early for me to get that excited! My heart can't take it....
:)

TRR
06-24-2005, 05:17 PM
In every sports magazine/paper I've read, it goes into detail about how the defense has gotten better, but KC's offense is too old, and this will be the season it falls apart.

Mainly, the magazines say the offensive dropoff will be because of Holmes' inability to stay healthy...Not at all considering the fact that Larry Johnson is waiting in the wings.

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 05:18 PM
He acknowledged that nothing matters until they put pads on...but my own impression from listening to him was that he was sincere in his opinion of their potential, this was not the usual ra-ra coach speak and the radio guys weren't setting him up to say nice things about the D either. He really expanded on the subject on his own initiative.

Just my .$02.

I didn't hear the interview. But just going by what I read in the 1st post. Comparing these guys to the 93 D, before ever seeing them in pads sounds like ra-ra speak to me.

When I see this D make plays in the 1st game and hold teams to less than 17 points. I'll be a believer, but until then it's a lot of big talk to me. It's time to back it up.

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 05:25 PM
I didn't hear the interview. But just going by what I read in the 1st post. Comparing these guys to the 93 D, before ever seeing them in pads sounds like ra-ra speak to me. I'm listening to the replay right now, he's not coming across like that. He's just talking about how athletic they look, and how he'll be disappointed if they're not in the range mentioned earlier. Doesn't sound like a used car dealer, though, trying to sell us something. Just sounded like that's his opinion and expectation.

KCFANinNC
06-24-2005, 05:38 PM
The D will not stop the run until we get a MLB.

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 05:42 PM
It just occurred to me, the difference with this offseason compared to the rest: in prior years, I had to look at the roster and try really hard to find something to get excited about. This year, instead of trying to pump myself up by polishing some turds, I have to try pretty hard to keep from getting overexcited by a whole bunch of good acquisitions. It's...weird.

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm listening to the replay right now, he's not coming across like that. He's just talking about how athletic they look, and how he'll be disappointed if they're not in the range mentioned earlier. Doesn't sound like a used car dealer, though, trying to sell us something. Just sounded like that's his opinion and expectation.

Maybe this will be a good defense, the proof will be in the pudding. Don't get your hopes up too high yet.

We still have one very mediocre CB that is slated to start and will be suspended for 4 games and will be replace by an even sh!ttier CB. IMO the D-line (outside of Jared Allen) still can't pass rush for diddly poo. Despite the upgrades, we still have a lot to worry about with this D IMO.

1.) 1 good CB and bunch of stiffs.
2.) Mediocre to crappy pass rush.
3.) When does DJ sign? If history is any indication it will be about a week before the regular season opener. Which means he'll sit on the bench for a while.

TRR
06-24-2005, 05:50 PM

I didn't know the entire defense relied on 1 player to stop the run. Is KC the only one running this D? Maybe they should try to get the other 10 players involved.

:rolleyes:

LiL stumppy
06-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Yes but his offence has played them in OTA's.Like 7 on 7 and so on.

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Maybe this will be a good defense, the proof will be in the pudding. Don't get your hopes up too high yet.Hey, it's June. So much can happen in the next month, guys could suck in pads who've looked good in shorts. Hell, they could all look great and we could end up losing half the roster in camp, that's just reality.We still have one very mediocre CB that is slated to start and will be suspended for 4 games and will be replace by an even sh!ttier CB.Well, we'll never agree on that one. I think Warfield's a quality #2 corner. The suspension, if it happens, will hurt, but even so, we'll still have Surtain out there. That's by itself an enormous improvement over last year without even seeing how the safeties play.IMO the D-line (outside of Jared Allen) still can't pass rush for diddly poo.No question there. Hicks still out there doesn't thrill me. The tackles haven't shown themselves to be anything more than average (if that). And Allen's no sure thing. That's what I'm watching in TC, how the line plays.Despite the upgrades, we still have a lot to worry about with this D IMO.I don't disagree. A lot of the talk about improvement comes with a caveat: if. And the last few years have given a tendency to focus more on the potential for disaster a lot more intently than the potential for improvement.

Anyway, the way I see it, the changes to the roster turn us (on paper) from a bottom of the barrel unit with holes all over to a run-of-the-mill unit with a few question marks. We don't look to me like a top-5 unit that will dominate teams week in and week out, but we shouldn't be a bottom-5 unit that can't win games unless the offense scores 80, either. I think we've upgraded to the point where our talent can be considered average, we've got some real playmakers for the first time in a few years, but in the end the play of guys like the DTs and Kawika Mitchell and the nickel/dime DBs will end up determining which side of 15 we fall on.

beer bacon
06-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Maybe this will be a good defense, the proof will be in the pudding. Don't get your hopes up too high yet.

We still have one very mediocre CB that is slated to start and will be suspended for 4 games and will be replace by an even sh!ttier CB. IMO the D-line (outside of Jared Allen) still can't pass rush for diddly poo. Despite the upgrades, we still have a lot to worry about with this D IMO.

1.) 1 good CB and bunch of stiffs.
2.) Mediocre to crappy pass rush.
3.) When does DJ sign? If history is any indication it will be about a week before the regular season opener. Which means he'll sit on the bench for a while.

Everything you said is basically wrong.

Warfield is not mediocre. He did pretty good good last year as a #1, and is just a #2 now. Nearly all the damage done against last year was throwing away from Warfield. Warfield usually had his guy covered. The problem was that our #2 and 3 CBs, safety core, and LB core could not cover worth a crap.

As far as pass rush goes, you are again wrong. We were 9th in the league in sacks last year. Our defense was poor last year DESPITE having a pretty good pass rush, not because our pass rush was horrible. I don't remember how many times I saw one of our guys inches away from a sack when the QB would just toss it up to whoever Bartee or McCleon was covering. It didn't need to be that accurate of a pass, because of Bartee's horrible awareness and McCleon's lack of awareness and shortness the WR would nearly always beat them for the ball. Furthermore, our pass rush should be improved because of Hall replacing Hicks on obvious passing downs as well as Bell's and DJ's blitzing abilities.

You could be right about it taking a while, but I have a feeling it won't. Carl is not going to ruin this offseason by piddling around signing DJ. Additionally, DJ doesn't have the Poston's or another one of the super asshole agents of our league. There has been no indication from DJ that he is a greedy type like Merriman, TO, or any of the multiple others of that ilk. Quite to the contrary, his history from before he was a Chief, and since he has been drafted by us shows him to be a standup guy. Like any player he will want to get payed, but I don't think his agent's demands will be outrageous, and Carl can't afford to make his demands outrageous either. A combination of factors are working in favor of DJ being signed sooner rather then later.

I am not counting on this defense being fantastic, but I am definately counting on improvement. It sounds to me like you have been burnt too many times by this team and have dropped into the deep end as far as pessimism goes.

Mr. Laz
06-24-2005, 06:09 PM
IMHO, he was excited about having a D that could legitimately challenge the offense in camp. He didn't say it, but you could sense it the way he spoke about the defense raising the bar and at one point he said something like "our offense has dominted the league for 3 years" and I think his real point was that the defense hasn't been close to their level of execution

but will a better defense help produce a better offense?

could the fact that our crappy defense has allow our offense to execute at will in practice and build complete confidence be part of the reason for our offensive success?

just a thought

beer bacon
06-24-2005, 06:11 PM

could the fact that our crappy defense has allow our offense to execute at will in practice and build complete confidence be part of the reason for our offensive success?

just a thought

I don't agree with this. Having a horrible defense to practice against would seem more like more of hindrance, since when you actually face a stout defense you will be less prepared.

Dave Lane
06-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Even better than Mike Martz????????????????///

Shocking!

Dave

Coogs
06-24-2005, 07:29 PM

Nearly all of the early reports have mentioned Mitchell has really improved. For now, I will take their work for it. In fact, from what I am getting from reports, it seem we have 4 LB's playing far superior to anything we could put out there last season in Bell, DJ, Fox, and Mitchell.

KCFANinNC
06-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Nearly all of the early reports have mentioned Mitchell has really improved. For now, I will take their work for it. In fact, from what I am getting from reports, it seem we have 4 LB's playing far superior to anything we could put out there last season in Bell, DJ, Fox, and Mitchell.

Now that's some good news!!!

OLB seems covered, I am just worried about the middle. I think that is where we got hurt in the running game last year.

Pants
06-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Now that's some good news!!!

OLB seems covered, I am just worried about the middle. I think that is where we got hurt in the running game last year.

We didn't really get hurt in the running game, it was the passing game that really hurt us.

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 08:14 PM
We didn't really get hurt in the running game, it was the passing game that really hurt us.Yeah, it's not like we allowed 13 runs of 20 yards or more, 23rd in the league, or 18 rushing TDs, 26th in the league, or 4.6 yards/carry, 31st in the league.

Pants
06-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Yeah, it's not like we allowed 13 runs of 20 yards or more, 23rd in the league, or 18 rushing TDs, 26th in the league, or 4.6 yards/carry, 31st in the league.
OK, how many times did we see our D stuff the run for 2 downs only to see a QB casually pass on a 3rd and long for another completion?

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 08:27 PM
OK, how many times did we see our D stuff the run for 2 downs only to see a QB casually pass on a 3rd and long for another completion?Hell if I know. But something tells me that when you allow 4.6 yards/carry, you're not stuffing the run for 2 downs very often. Teams could pass on us at will. Teams could run on us at will. Teams could probably have danced on us at will if they had felt so moved. There was no element of our defense that was not a problem last year, from the run defense to the pass rush to forcing fumbles to picking off passes. That's just the way it is with a defense that allows nearly 4 TDs a game.

This argument might be valid were we the Chargers defense allowing 80 or so yards a game at a 3.7 ypc clip while giving up 80 trillion yards through the air on 600+ attempts. But we weren't, we were horrible in all facets that defense can be horrible.

Hopefully it's all a moot point anyway, and the events of 2004 will have little to do with what we see in 2005. Ought to be that way, what with half the starting lineup changed.

shaneo69
06-24-2005, 08:41 PM

And two defensive tackles.

But hey, this is the optimistic, shiny, happy season. Who are we to inject any reality into the discussion.

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey, it's June. So much can happen in the next month, guys could suck in pads who've looked good in shorts. Hell, they could all look great and we could end up losing half the roster in camp, that's just reality.Well, we'll never agree on that one. I think Warfield's a quality #2 corner. The suspension, if it happens, will hurt, but even so, we'll still have Surtain out there. That's by itself an enormous improvement over last year without even seeing how the safeties play.No question there. Hicks still out there doesn't thrill me. The tackles haven't shown themselves to be anything more than average (if that). And Allen's no sure thing. That's what I'm watching in TC, how the line plays.I don't disagree. A lot of the talk about improvement comes with a caveat: if. And the last few years have given a tendency to focus more on the potential for disaster a lot more intently than the potential for improvement.

Anyway, the way I see it, the changes to the roster turn us (on paper) from a bottom of the barrel unit with holes all over to a run-of-the-mill unit with a few question marks. We don't look to me like a top-5 unit that will dominate teams week in and week out, but we shouldn't be a bottom-5 unit that can't win games unless the offense scores 80, either. I think we've upgraded to the point where our talent can be considered average, we've got some real playmakers for the first time in a few years, but in the end the play of guys like the DTs and Kawika Mitchell and the nickel/dime DBs will end up determining which side of 15 we fall on.

Warfield, on a good defense, should be a nickleback at best. I'm sorry to say that, but IMO it's the truth. He has improved, but he used to suck major balls all the time, now he sucks major balls about half of the time.

I hope you're correct about the changes. But how many times have we said, "on paper we should"... yada... yada... yada... only to see the fuggin team implode or play mediocre ball and miss the playoffs.

All I'm saying is this; don't be too overly optimistic. We've made some good moves to improve the team, but still have a lot of concerns on D.

the Talking Can
06-24-2005, 08:42 PM

just a thought

no, doesn't make any sense to me at all...our offense is good because it is loaded with good players and great OC....

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Everything you said is basically wrong.

Warfield is not mediocre. He did pretty good good last year as a #1, and is just a #2 now. Nearly all the damage done against last year was throwing away from Warfield. Warfield usually had his guy covered. The problem was that our #2 and 3 CBs, safety core, and LB core could not cover worth a crap.

As far as pass rush goes, you are again wrong. We were 9th in the league in sacks last year. Our defense was poor last year DESPITE having a pretty good pass rush, not because our pass rush was horrible. I don't remember how many times I saw one of our guys inches away from a sack when the QB would just toss it up to whoever Bartee or McCleon was covering. It didn't need to be that accurate of a pass, because of Bartee's horrible awareness and McCleon's lack of awareness and shortness the WR would nearly always beat them for the ball. Furthermore, our pass rush should be improved because of Hall replacing Hicks on obvious passing downs as well as Bell's and DJ's blitzing abilities.

You could be right about it taking a while, but I have a feeling it won't. Carl is not going to ruin this offseason by piddling around signing DJ. Additionally, DJ doesn't have the Poston's or another one of the super asshole agents of our league. There has been no indication from DJ that he is a greedy type like Merriman, TO, or any of the multiple others of that ilk. Quite to the contrary, his history from before he was a Chief, and since he has been drafted by us shows him to be a standup guy. Like any player he will want to get payed, but I don't think his agent's demands will be outrageous, and Carl can't afford to make his demands outrageous either. A combination of factors are working in favor of DJ being signed sooner rather then later.

I am not counting on this defense being fantastic, but I am definately counting on improvement. It sounds to me like you have been burnt too many times by this team and have dropped into the deep end as far as pessimism goes.

Just disagree about Warfield. I know he's the best # 2 corner we have. But that is not a good thing. He should be a nickleback, or sitting on the bench, at least a top tier D anyway.

Sack stats can be misleading. How many times last year did we need a fuggin sack and the D-line had all day to get one, only to see them stuffed by the opposing O-line? Too many. There were games in which they had a lot of sacks, and a bunch of games where they didn't get sh!t.

I hope you're correct about the DJ signing. But too many times in the past Carl has tried to show us his cajones and how he's some kind of master negotiator, to the detriment of the team. I wish he would really show some balls and try to set the market, rather than let the market be set so he can offer a slotted salary.

shaneo69
06-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Warfield, on a good defense, should be a nickleback at best. I'm sorry to say that, but IMO it's the truth. He has improved, but he used to suck major balls all the time, now he sucks major balls about half of the time.

I hope you're correct about the changes. But how many times have we said, "on paper we should"... yada... yada... yada... only to see the fuggin team implode or play mediocre ball and miss the playoffs.

All I'm saying is this; don't be too overly optimistic. We've made some good moves to improve the team, but still have a lot of concerns on D.

I'm excited about DJ and Surtain, and that's about it. Our four games without Warfield are gonna suck if we're starting McCleon, or any of those other four jokers they're bringing in for a look.

Two teams have willingly let Sammie Knight walk in the past three years. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence in him for me.

Greg Wesley changing positions? Makes me nervous.

I have seen Kawika Mitchell suck the past two years. Any praise of him now just reminds me of Bartee, the OTA MVP.

Carlos Hall has sucked balls the past two years, and he's supposed to be an uprgrade for our D-line?

Kendrell Bell has to prove that he can stay healthy for a full year. His groin injury during OTA's didn't put me at ease.

Personally, I think DJ will have to put this entire D on his back for us to improve, and not even Derrick Thomas had to do that when he got here.

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm excited about DJ and Surtain, and that's about it. Our four games without Warfield are gonna suck if we're starting McCleon, or any of those other four jokers they're bringing in for a look.

Two teams have willingly let Sammie Knight walk in the past three years. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence in him for me.

Greg Wesley changing positions? Makes me nervous.

I have seen Kawika Mitchell suck the past two years. Any praise of him now just reminds me of Bartee, the OTA MVP.

Carlos Hall has sucked balls the past two years, and he's supposed to be an uprgrade for our D-line?

Kendrell Bell has to prove that he can stay healthy for a full year. His groin injury during OTA's didn't put me at ease.

Personally, I think DJ will have to put this entire D on his back for us to improve, and not even Derrick Thomas had to do that when he got here.

You're probably right. Who knows? Maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle and all of these guys can stay healthy and play to their full potential and we can can have decent defense. But it's pretty long odds IMO. It's very hard to fix these types of problems in one offseason.

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Warfield, on a good defense, should be a nickleback at best. I'm sorry to say that, but IMO it's the truth. He has improved, but he used to suck major balls all the time, now he sucks major balls about half of the time.I don't think there are enough corners in the league who are better than he is to call him a nickelback. At least I can't think of 64 other starting corners I'd rather have. I wouldn't call it a fact; that's just my opinion.All I'm saying is this; don't be too overly optimistic. We've made some good moves to improve the team, but still have a lot of concerns on D.Well, part of the reason I believe the product on the field will be better is simply because they've done all the things that I hoped they would do this offseason, short of replacing a DB coach we'll leave unnamed. I, literally, have nothing to complain about. I don't believe they could have done any more than they did, the cap being what it is, and I think they did enough to improve more than a little. I see too much roster change (with quality players) for more of the same.

Call me an appeased fan. First time for everything.

You're right about one thing, DJ needs to be signed and in camp at the beginning. This is the time that Carl needs to just let Thum handle it, and stay the hell out of the way. On the positive side, I don't think we've had any problems with Vann McElroy before now. At least none that I'm aware of.

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't think there are enough corners in the league who are better than he is to call him a nickelback. At least I can't think of 64 other starting corners I'd rather have. I wouldn't call it a fact; that's just my opinion.Well, part of the reason I believe the product on the field will be better is simply because they've done all the things that I hoped they would do this offseason, short of replacing a DB coach we'll leave unnamed. I, literally, have nothing to complain about. I don't believe they could have done any more than they did, the cap being what it is, and I think they did enough to improve more than a little. I see too much roster change (with quality players) for more of the same.

Call me an appeased fan. First time for everything.

You're right about one thing, DJ needs to be signed and in camp at the beginning. This is the time that Carl needs to just let Thum handle it, and stay the hell out of the way. On the positive side, I don't think we've had any problems with Vann McElroy before now. At least none that I'm aware of.

Still disagree about Warfield.

But I do agree that this was a very good offseason. I just hope that it is enough. The lack of activity in the past has hurt this team.

It's like nearly 90% percent of the D was cancer and we were able to remove about 45-50% of it. The remaining 50 could still kill us.

Tribal Warfare
06-24-2005, 09:40 PM

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/freddie_mitchell.html

I really hope Mitchell can live up to his potential maybe with Saunders offensive schemes he can utilize better. Andy Reid is a great coach but the West Coast offense strenches the defense to a 5 to 10 yard radius which is quite a hinderence to someone as skinny as Mitchell. Rember guys this is the best case scenario option I still have many doubts that concern the guy, but we can only hope :grovel:

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 09:58 PM
It's like nearly 90% percent of the D was cancer and we were able to remove about 45-50% of it. The remaining 50 could still kill us.I look at it a little differently. I think we had a defense built entirely with roleplayers and journeymen, with no leaders and no playmakers. We had no identity and no real backbone, just a bunch of guys. Not good, not bad, just guys. What they brought in this year is what we were missing. Bell and Surtain can change games, Knight has already taken a leadership role. Johnson may be another playmaker, and he's apparently already growing into a leader, too (as hard as that is to envision from a rookie). Old "leaders", the players we tried to build around the past few years, like Hicks and Warfield, now shift into more comfortable secondary roles, instead of being "the" guy they're just a part of a larger puzzle. And I think there's a chance that putting the new talent on the field can have a snowball effect on players like Wesley, who's been a disappointment, and Allen, who should be helped with Bell as a pass rush threat behind him. But people are going to have to step up, too, especially on the defensive line.

And this will probably sound weird, but I think being another year removed from Robinson will help to further flush his crappy defensive attitude from the squad. When Gunther talks his "defensive culture" spiel, that's what I think he's talking about; getting the defense to stop thinking like it's a chess game, with this passive, afraid to f*ck up reactionary bullshit. Move forward towards aggressive, attacking, knock you on your ass attitude. It's just a pet theory of mine, but I think he mentally f*cked a lot of the players on defense, and half of Gunther's job is psychological.

But I could be full of shit, too.

We'll see. Either way, I'm looking forward to this season more than any I can remember.

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 10:11 PM
I look at it a little differently. I think we had a defense built entirely with roleplayers and journeymen, with no leaders and no playmakers. We had no identity and no real backbone, just a bunch of guys. Not good, not bad, just guys. What they brought in this year is what we were missing. Bell and Surtain can change games, Knight has already taken a leadership role. Johnson may be another playmaker, and he's apparently already growing into a leader, too (as hard as that is to envision from a rookie). Old "leaders", the players we tried to build around the past few years, like Hicks and Warfield, now shift into more comfortable secondary roles, instead of being "the" guy they're just a part of a larger puzzle. And I think there's a chance that putting the new talent on the field can have a snowball effect on players like Wesley, who's been a disappointment, and Allen, who should be helped with Bell as a pass rush threat behind him. But people are going to have to step up, too, especially on the defensive line.

And this will probably sound weird, but I think being another year removed from Robinson will help to further flush his crappy defensive attitude from the squad. When Gunther talks his "defensive culture" spiel, that's what I think he's talking about; getting the defense to stop thinking like it's a chess game, with this passive, afraid to f*ck up reactionary bullshit. Move forward towards aggressive, attacking, knock you on your ass attitude. It's just a pet theory of mine, but I think he mentally f*cked a lot of the players on defense, and half of Gunther's job is psychological.

But I could be full of shit, too.

We'll see. Either way, I'm looking forward to this season more than any I can remember.

Great post! It does make me optimistic.

But I'll always have the cynical "glass half empty" attitude. It's the way I was brought up. Plus, it's not like the Chiefs have helped in that regard over the last 30 years. :)

One wildcard I'm hoping can throw a wrench in my cynical attitude is Boomer. I watched DJ's and Boomer's workout videos and I'm not ready to say that Boomer had a better workout. But jesus, that white boy can move. And he's built like a brick sh!thouse. DJ looks like the Stay Puffed marshmellow man compared to Boomer. I'm hoping Boomer is like the proverbial diamond in the rough that can elevate the D.

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 10:22 PM
But I'll always have the cynical "glass half empty" attitude. It's the way I was brought up. Plus, it's not like the Chiefs have helped in that regard over the last 30 years.Yeah, I know where you're coming from. I've only followed the team since 98 or 99, so I don't have the long-term angst, but the highlights of my tenure to date are the 9-7 collapse Gun's first season and the 13-3 puntless playoff game two seasons ago. And that's it. 7 seasons, just two over .500. One playoff loss. Talk about suck. Hard to root for that sometimes.One wildcard I'm hoping can throw a wrench in my cynical attitude is Boomer. I watched DJ's and Boomer's workout videos and I'm not ready to say that Boomer had a better workout. But jesus, that white boy can move. And he's built like a brick sh!thouse. DJ looks like the Stay Puffed marshmellow man compared to Boomer. I'm hoping Boomer is like the proverbial diamond in the rough that can elevate the D.I didn't notice Boomer much during the mini-camp, but, and maybe this is my imagination, but something looked different about Mitchell. Good different. He looked like he knew what he was doing, and he looked like he belonged on the field. He'd never looked like that before, not any time I'd ever seen him. He's got to make it through camp, though, that's his hangup.

But I hope Boomer's great. I hope Scanlon's great, too. I'd sure as hell like to have a 3-way logjam at MLB, where they all push each other.

I tell you what, though, however it shakes out, I've never seen a group of linebackers here that looked anything close to what I saw on Saturday. Fox and Johnson both were reminiscent of Donnie Edward$' speed (DJ looked even faster), but not as small-looking. If I can't say anything else about Mitchell, I'll say he was the first MLB I've seen in person here who didn't lumber; I've gotten so sick of the guys who are "tough" and smart enough to get into position, but either so old or so slow that they get there two steps too late. Enough of that shit. And Bell looked like an effing beast out there. And there were guys on the third team, Griffin and some others, who looked athletic, too. Total change from the last few years. I'm so used to having no linebackers, it's like an overdose.

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. I've only followed the team since 98 or 99, so I don't have the long-term angst, but the highlights of my tenure to date are the 9-7 collapse Gun's first season and the 13-3 puntless playoff game two seasons ago. And that's it. 7 seasons, just two over .500. One playoff loss. Talk about suck. Hard to root for that sometimes.I didn't notice Boomer much during the mini-camp, but, and maybe this is my imagination, but something looked different about Mitchell. Good different. He looked like he knew what he was doing, and he looked like he belonged on the field. He'd never looked like that before, not any time I'd ever seen him. He's got to make it through camp, though, that's his hangup.

But I hope Boomer's great. I hope Scanlon's great, too. I'd sure as hell like to have a 3-way logjam at MLB, where they all push each other.

I tell you what, though, however it shakes out, I've never seen a group of linebackers here that looked anything close to what I saw on Saturday. Fox and Johnson both were reminiscent of Donnie Edward$' speed (DJ looked even faster), but not as small-looking. If I can't say anything else about Mitchell, I'll say he was the first MLB I've seen in person here who didn't lumber; I've gotten so sick of the guys who are "tough" and smart enough to get into position, but either so old or so slow that they get there two steps too late. Enough of that shit. And Bell looked like an effing beast out there. And there were guys on the third team, Griffin and some others, who looked athletic, too. Total change from the last few years. I'm so used to having no linebackers, it's like an overdose.

LB does seem to be the strength so far. You really think Mitchell is going amount to anything? There were times last year when I wanted to tear my fuking hair out watching him try to tackle somebody. I just don't know if he has what it takes. There was one play in particular where he chased the ball carrier about 50 yards downfield and must have bumped into the guy about 5 times. He could've made the tackle inside of 10 yards but for some reason felt the need to run with the guy down field instead of pounding him into the turf.

I don't have a problem with Mitchell if he can play with intelligence and aggressiveness. That's all I ask for. I just haven't seen it out of him to date.

Then again, I haven't been to mini camp to see them in person this year.

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 10:40 PM
I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of last season because of some work I was doing at the time (I listened on the radio...), so I can't really say anything about Mitchell based on anything from those games. But I've gotten the impression from folks around here that he didn't look very good at all last year, except for late in the season (and people argue about that). Which is part of the reason I was surprised about the way he moved during the mini-camp. He appeared confident and sure about where he was going, I only saw him taken aside by coaches a couple of times, and he was consistently in what appeared to be the right position in relation to what the guys around him were doing. 'course, it's practice and there was no contact, so who knows how he'll be a month from now.

I really hope he plays the same in River Falls, though, because if the lightbulb has finally clicked on for him (and sometimes it does take a couple of years, I think Gun's right about that) I think we could have a special group of linebackers. That's assuming Johnson is everything he's billed to be, Bell's groin doesn't explode and Fox doesn't earn the "dragged like donnie edward$ deux" logo I gave him last offseason.

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of last season because of some work I was doing at the time (I listened on the radio...), so I can't really say anything about Mitchell based on anything from those games. But I've gotten the impression from folks around here that he didn't look very good at all last year, except for late in the season (and people argue about that). Which is part of the reason I was surprised about the way he moved during the mini-camp. He appeared confident and sure about where he was going, I only saw him taken aside by coaches a couple of times, and he was consistently in what appeared to be the right position in relation to what the guys around him were doing. 'course, it's practice and there was no contact, so who knows how he'll be a month from now.

I really hope he plays the same in River Falls, though, because if the lightbulb has finally clicked on for him (and sometimes it does take a couple of years, I think Gun's right about that) I think we could have a special group of linebackers. That's assuming Johnson is everything he's billed to be, Bell's groin doesn't explode and Fox doesn't earn the "dragged like donnie edward$ deux" logo I gave him last offseason.

It will definately be interesting to watch the MLB thing play out in preseason to determine the starter. I can't wait for August 12.

keg in kc
06-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah. Seems so damned far off right now, though.

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Yeah. Seems so damned far off right now, though.

It's a little over a month. It will go by in the blink of a fuggin eye.

Manila-Chief
06-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Well, I'm cautiously optimistic for the upcoming season, because:

1. It normally take a DC or OC a year or so to really get his system installed where the player function effectively. I know we had sub-part talent last year but I think some of it (i.e. the play of our S) was due to the players (and maybe some coaches???) not being fully on the same page with Gun. IMHO we will be better simply because Gun has had an additional year with the players and they with his system/schemes.

2. We have had at least a couple of upgrades in talent. I hear all you pessimistic guys doing the gloom and doom predictions ... normally, I'd be leading the pack. I believe at worse the new talent helps us to the middle of the pack. Just think ... if they cause only one additional punt per game will give us one additional possibility to score.

I, too, am concerned about (1) Bell's injury while he was in pj's -- that doesn't build my confidence for him playing a full year ... (2) I, too, raised an eye brow over Knight being let go of those other teams ... doesn't seem that they replaced him with young probowl players either ... (3) Gun seemed to have a question about Surtain during the OTA's ... I think he will learn the system and be okay but it raises a question ... (4) I agree Warfield is a good enough #2 WR but it I did take notice that he seemed to be demoted by Battle of all people. We have had some questions about his ability all along. Then there doesn't seem to be quality back up CB for when he is suspended or for the whole season for that matter... (5) Those young players sound like they are finally learning to play in the NFL ... but how will they look in live action??? (6) and I could mention a couple more ....

But, the bottom line is ... I'm excited. There seems to be more reason to hope this year than any year since 1973. Yea, 13-3 was nice but most of us "realistic" fans knew too many of those victories were "luck" and luck swings both directions. But, this year is different. C.P. went out and got talent. Our O can be as good or better than in the past. We seem to have a quality punter that may help us win a game or 2. While I'm optimistic maybe even Tynes will begin to be a solid NFL kicker. A year under his belt will have helped him.

So, yeah .... let the games begin!!!!

Wallcrawler
06-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Ill just say this. Al Saunders is an offensive guru just like Dick Vermiel. I take anything he says about defense with a grain of salt and go on.

When I hear GUNTHER come out and say that he thinks this defense is as good as those in the 90's, then that would carry some weight, because Gun knows defense, and coordinated two of the best defenses the Chiefs have ever had in 95 and 97.

So far, Gunther has been pretty happy with what he has seen, but he knows that it doesnt mean jack until they put the pads on.

As far as the moves on defense, I dont see anything negative.

Sammy Knight is a ballhawking playmaker. His interception numbers are insane for playing the strong safety spot. The guy knows how to hit, and thusfar in OTAs he has been the one to always know the right answer on what to do when Gun puts him on the spot with a pop quiz.

Carlos Hall from what I understand isnt going to be an every down player. I expect to see on obvious passing downs, Hall and Allen as the ends because Eric Hicks generates ZERO pass rush.

The Groin pull by Bell in minicamp is blown out of proportion. Simply because he had the previous tear of the groin in the weight room doesnt mean that he is made of glass. A simple goin pull could happen to anyone. If he were sustaining football related injuries and missing massive time, then Id be worried. The only football injury he ever sustained was a high ankle sprain, and made it worse by trying to tough it out and help his team on the field. I dont see Bell as being a big problem in the injury/toughness department as long as he realises that he isnt the man of steel in the weightroom and stays within himself.

This defense definately has potential this time though, as they have added proven players on defense, guys who are used to playing at a high level. I will be disappointed if there isnt marked improvement in this defense if all the new guys are playing in every game.

CHIEF4EVER
06-25-2005, 08:07 AM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/freddie_mitchell.html

I really hope Mitchell can live up to his potential maybe with Saunders offensive schemes he can utilize better. Andy Reid is a great coach but the West Coast offense strenches the defense to a 5 to 10 yard radius which is quite a hinderence to someone as skinny as Mitchell. Rember guys this is the best case scenario option I still have many doubts that concern the guy, but we can only hope :grovel:

I was utterly AGAINST this signing but have no choice now but to take a wait and see approach. Mitchell may have been a 1st rd pick but he has yet to show why. He TALKS like he's an all pro but plays like a second stringer. Maybe his release and realization that he actually has to make a team will wake him up. I hope that is the case but I ain't gonna hold my breath at this time. IMO, this is a win/win situation. If he wakes up and plays to the billing he had as a rookie, we win and at a cheap price tag. If he sucks (like he always has), he gets cut and we lose practically nothing.

ARROW2
06-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey Big Red. That video of Jessica gives me a mf'in hard on.....Damn, I wanna hit dat.....

beer bacon
06-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Hey Big Red. That video of Jessica gives me a mf'in hard on.....Damn, I wanna hit dat.....

I am sorry, but the plug and play penis drive is still in the R&D stage.

ARROW2
06-25-2005, 09:08 AM
I am sorry, but the plug and play penis drive is still in the R&D stage.

:)

F dat shit. I mean hit it for real. I bet that shit is deeeeep....

Mojo Rising
06-25-2005, 09:13 AM
This appears to be prep for Saunders as HC in '06. I personally believe we should have made these moves last year (adding Defensive FA's.) Lamar Hunt cost us our shot last year by not adding any Defensive FA's.

DJ has potential if he becomes more disciplined and doesn't try to run around blockers. He also needs to learn to wrap up. We still have a glaring hole at the CB position (for 25% of the year and vs. 3 WR sets)Our D Line will struggle to put pressure on the QB (I suspect Allen might follow in Hicks footsteps) which will force Gunther to send LB's and S's which will create holes in our zone D. I will be shocked if Bell starts more than 8 games.

I am excited about DJ's long term potential. I also believe Surtain was a solid addition. Hartwell should have been added.

Our current roster has a very good chance of winning a playoff game if Trent Green doesn't get hurt. That is our achilles heel. WR also needs to be addressed.

B_Ambuehl
06-25-2005, 09:32 AM

One of the major magazines had him rated as one of the top 3 press corners in the NFL. Having said that, I personally lean more towards what you said. ;)

My fear is that the defense is a year behind where they should be and this is going to effect things negatively for years to come.....they're at least a year behind the rest of the NFL. What they should've been last year it's taking them until this year to come anywhere close to on paper......a 4-3 defense that can stop the run, pressure the receivers, contain the pass, and get to the quarterback. What they should be this year is a 3-4 defense but there are several missing pieces of that puzzle that i fear will have to eat up another years worth of draft picks that could've been used to help rebuild the aging offense. Even with the current 4-3 scheme, even if you have excellent corners if you cant get to the quarterback playing press defense isn't gonna work very well. I also feel that man on man press defense is soon to be a thing of the past......even a guy like Champ Bailey is made to look like shit. I hope Gunther and the Chiefs don't have to learn that the hard way.

Hopefully I'm wrong on all counts though :).

Mr. Laz
06-25-2005, 09:45 AM
no, doesn't make any sense to me at all...our offense is good because it is loaded with good players and great OC....
of course good players are the main reason but think about it

if an offense gets stuffed all day long at practice by a great defense, how much practice did they get? how much confidence do that have.

imo the 1st string offense should practice against the 2nd string defense some.... and the same for the 1st string defense against the 2nd string offense.

let both experience success and feel the flow ... get used to how it's suppose to work.

and then maybe go 1's versus 1's a couple times each week so they don't get soft or complacent.

Mr. Laz
06-25-2005, 09:46 AM
One of the major magazines had him rated as one of the top 3 press corners in the NFL

what retarded magazine said that? :eek:

he's a decent #2 and a good #3 imo

htismaqe
06-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Ill just say this. Al Saunders is an offensive guru just like Dick Vermiel. I take anything he says about defense with a grain of salt and go on.

When I hear GUNTHER come out and say that he thinks this defense is as good as those in the 90's, then that would carry some weight, because Gun knows defense, and coordinated two of the best defenses the Chiefs have ever had in 95 and 97.

So far, Gunther has been pretty happy with what he has seen, but he knows that it doesnt mean jack until they put the pads on.

Sammy Knight is a ballhawking playmaker. His interception numbers are insane for playing the strong safety spot. The guy knows how to hit, and thusfar in OTAs he has been the one to always know the right answer on what to do when Gun puts him on the spot with a pop quiz.

Carlos Hall from what I understand isnt going to be an every down player. I expect to see on obvious passing downs, Hall and Allen as the ends because Eric Hicks generates ZERO pass rush.

The Groin pull by Bell in minicamp is blown out of proportion. Simply because he had the previous tear of the groin in the weight room doesnt mean that he is made of glass. A simple goin pull could happen to anyone. If he were sustaining football related injuries and missing massive time, then Id be worried. The only football injury he ever sustained was a high ankle sprain, and made it worse by trying to tough it out and help his team on the field. I dont see Bell as being a big problem in the injury/toughness department as long as he realises that he isnt the man of steel in the weightroom and stays within himself.

This defense definately has potential this time though, as they have added proven players on defense, guys who are used to playing at a high level. I will be disappointed if there isnt marked improvement in this defense if all the new guys are playing in every game.

Yeah, if Gunther says it it must be true. After all this is the guy that likes QB's with beards and kickers with no sleeves. This is the guy that talked Carl Peterson into resigning Jerome Woods and Eric Hicks. :shake:

htismaqe
06-25-2005, 12:45 PM
BTW, guys this thread was a great read. Thanks Keg and Cannibal!

Wile_E_Coyote
06-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Warfield was plagued with back problems & had surgery between the '03 & '04 seasons. He wasn't tested that much last season. I'm expecting a good season (3/4 at least) from him

keg in kc
06-25-2005, 01:19 PM
of course good players are the main reason but think about it

if an offense gets stuffed all day long at practice by a great defense, how much practice did they get? how much confidence do that have.

imo the 1st string offense should practice against the 2nd string defense some.... and the same for the 1st string defense against the 2nd string offense.

let both experience success and feel the flow ... get used to how it's suppose to work.

and then maybe go 1's versus 1's a couple times each week so they don't get soft or complacent.Isn't that basically what they do during the season? I know guys on the taxi squad (PS guys) work as the opposing O against the starting D.

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 01:19 PM

I pretty much agree with everything you said with the exception of Al Saunders knowledge of defense. I would submit that you have to know defense to be the offensive guru that he is. I hope like hell that he is our next head coach.

the Talking Can
06-25-2005, 01:58 PM
I pretty much agree with everything you said with the exception of Al Saunders knowledge of defense. I would submit that you have to know defense to be the offensive guru that he is. I hope like hell that he is our next head coach.

Yeah, that's why I think his comments are interesting..his job as an OC is diagnosing defenses and exploiting their weaknesses...AS has proven to be as good at this as anybody for 3 years so I don't lump his comments in with the usual head coach speak.

He may not have the eye to tell you who wil develop into a good defensive player, but he absolutely knows who is and isn't getting done on the field. For instance, the way we ran right at Ray Lewis told me that AS knew something most don't. Or he's just crazier.

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah, that's why I think his comments are interesting..his job as an OC is diagnosing defenses and exploiting their weaknesses...AS has proven to be as good at this as anybody for 3 years so I don't lump his comments in with the usual head coach speak.

He may not have the eye to tell you who wil develop into a good defensive player, but he absolutely knows who is and isn't getting done on the field. For instance, the way we ran right at Ray Lewis told me that AS knew something most don't. Or he's just crazier.

Exactly, I was tickled to death when we did not lose him to another team last year as their head coach. I was really sweating it. I honestly feel the deal has already been made.

Reaper16
06-25-2005, 05:11 PM
King Carl doesn't like Saunders enough to hire him as head coach. They don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. (Carl wanted LJ in the game, Al, infatuated with Blaylock, didn't play him until he had too, etc.)

htismaqe
06-25-2005, 05:52 PM
King Carl doesn't like Saunders enough to hire him as head coach. They don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. (Carl wanted LJ in the game, Al, infatuated with Blaylock, didn't play him until he had too, etc.)

According to Frank Gansz Sr. Carl and Saunders don't like each other at all.