PDA

View Full Version : You've probably heard of the "Toy Yoda" prank....

Brock
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Here's another..... ROFL

It's a 100 Grand, not $100,000 as a prize

By JAMIE GUMBRECHT

Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leder

A Lexington woman who says she was jilted by a-WLTO-102.5 FM contest filed a lawsuit yesterday against Cumulus Media Inc., which owns Hot 102 and four other local stations.

The complaint, filed in Fayette Circuit Court, says the radio station and its Atlanta-based parent company breached a contract to pay $100,000 after a radio contest prize was revealed to be a caramel-filled candy bar, Nestle's 100 Grand, instead of cash.

On May 25, night host DJ Slick said he wanted to thank people who listened throughout the American Idol finale by sponsoring a contest to "win 100 grand." "No joke," the host's Web blog said of the contest.

Norreasha Gill won by listening to the radio show throughout the night and being the 10th caller just before the Idol winner was announced. As family members rushed to her house to celebrate, she screamed over the airwaves and began describing what she would do with $100,000, she said.

"I just freaked out," Gill, 28, said. "I couldn't move, I was so afraid that the phone would click off. I was shaking. They congratulated me and told me I could pick it up the next morning."

Before the family went to bed, Gill promised her children -- ages 1, 5 and 11 -- that they'd have a minivan, a shopping spree, a savings account and a home with a back yard.

"I couldn't sleep, there were so many knots in my stomach," said Gill, who is six months pregnant.

When she arrived at Hot 102's studio the next morning, she was asked to return that night, when DJ Slick would be in the office. By the time Gill and her fiance returned home from breakfast, a message from the station manager was waiting.

He explained that she had won a 100 Grand candy bar, not money. Later, he offered her $5,000, Gill said.

"I said I wanted $95,000 more," she said. "Nobody would watch and listen for two hours for a candy bar.

"What hurts me is they were going to get me in front of my children, all dressed up, and hand me a candy bar, after all those promises I made to them. You just don't do that to people."

Gill's attorney, Lee Van Horn, says Gill was treated "maliciously."

"The DJ knew this wasn't $100,000 and he led her to believe it was," Van Horn said. "This was an incredibly cruel joke to play on her, especially on the air in front of so many people."

DJ Slick, who was not named in the lawsuit, did not return an e-mail. WLTO and Cumulus declined to comment, identify the DJ by his given name or say whether anybody was fired because of the incident.

The host said on his Web site, Slickshow.net, that he had left his job at the radio station.

Experts said Gill's case will rely on state contract law but the radio station also could face actions by the Federal Communications Commission, which licenses radio stations.

FCC regulations say contest descriptions can't be false, misleading or deceptive and that stations must conduct the contests as advertised. Stations in El Paso, Texas, and Shreveport, La., have been fined for contests that told listeners they'd won cash prizes without specifying they were in Italian or Turkish lira, not U.S. dollars.

In November, the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Council threatened to file an FCC complaint after three morning show hosts at Cumulus-owned WXZZ-103.3 FM pulled a hoax that flooded county government offices with calls. The morning show hosts apologized and were temporarily suspended from the station, but no complaint was filed.

"No radio station wants to be fined by the FCC," said Richard Labunski, a University of Kentucky professor who teaches media law. "They really should know better and not mislead the audience."

Listeners ought to be skeptical of radio stations handing out large cash prizes, Labunski said, but the show host and station crossed ethical boundaries with the contest.

"It does nothing but create bad publicity," Labunski said. "People are not going to say, 'Oh, this was funny.'"

Gill says she has put her plans to buy a minivan and home on hold until the family's finances are solidified.

She said, "It crushes me for it to be a joke."

ChiTown
06-24-2005, 12:06 PM
"It does nothing but create bad publicity," Labunski said. "People are not going to say, 'Oh, this was funny.'"

Yeah they are ROFL

Dumb fuggers..............

Phobia
06-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Stupid broad. If you don't know the "100 Grand" joke, she must have a 3rd grade education.

KCTitus
06-24-2005, 12:10 PM
He explained that she had won a 100 Grand candy bar, not money. Later, he offered her $5,000, Gill said.

"I said I wanted $95,000 more," she said. "Nobody would watch and listen for two hours for a candy bar.

Big mistake...offering the 5k was an admission of wrongdoing. The station's, unfortunately, going to get nailed to the wall. Another winner of the Idiot Lottery.

DJay23
06-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Boo friggin hoo. Get off your ass, stop watching American Idol, and do some work and maybe you could get that mini van.

It's not like they were targeting her and her situation specifically to be the butt of a joke.

chagrin
06-24-2005, 12:14 PM
that is hilarious!!! I was a broadcaster for 12 years, I find this too funny for words!!

ROFL

Rain Man
06-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Eh, I'll go against the grain on this. I don't think that's a particularly clever thing to do, and it was intentionally misleading. I feel kind of sorry for the woman.

Phobia
06-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Eh, I'll go against the grain on this. I don't think that's a particularly clever thing to do, and it was intentionally misleading. I feel kind of sorry for the woman.

If you'll just shut up already, I'll give you 100 Grand.

Rain Man
06-24-2005, 12:28 PM

Aaaah! Aaaah! This is fantastic! I can finally have that surgery now! I can get season tickets! I'll buy season tickets for someone needy to go with me! Aaaaah!

Thank you, phobia! This is going to change my life! I'm going to do good things with this money. Good things! You're going to be proud!

RedThat
06-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Stupid broad. If you don't know the "100 Grand" joke, she must have a 3rd grade education.

Sometimes people are that stupid, unfortunately in this case, you gotta be careful sometimes. There are some people out there that are so dense that they don't think it's a joke. They think it's $100, 000. I blame the radio show hosts for not being specific. Besides who would want to win a chocolate bar anyway.

carlos3652
06-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Well the worst part is, is that there were at least 9 other people who called before her thinking that it was $100,000...

KCTitus
06-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Sometimes people are that stupid, unfortunately in this case, you gotta be careful sometimes. There are some people out there that are so dense that they don't think it's a joke. They think it's $100, 000. I blame the radio show hosts for not being specific. Besides who would want to win a chocolate bar anyway.

Hey...100 Grand aint just 'a chocolate bar', it's much, much more than that and they're damn good.

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2005, 12:46 PM
That's a cruel joke to play. Funny as hell, but cruel nonetheless. Also, Gill is a dipshit...

KCTitus
06-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Aaaah! Aaaah! This is fantastic! I can finally have that surgery now! I can get season tickets! I'll buy season tickets for someone needy to go with me! Aaaaah!

Gonna finish that labotomy?

If I won 100 grand, I would help out Prince Okar transfer that 40M dollars that's stuck in a bank in europe. He said he'd give me 20% of the money. Takes money to make money!

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Hey...100 Grand aint just 'a chocolate bar', it's much, much more than that and they're damn good.Eh, the caramel sticks to my teeth...

Duck Dog
06-24-2005, 12:48 PM
A few musings.

Assuming these are new, who thinks they can buy a mini van and a new home with a yard for 100K and then have enough left over for a shopping spree and savings?

Who spends 100K without having it in your posession?

Who hasn't been 'had' with the 'ol 100 grand candy bar joke? Thats been around since people started handing out candy on Holloween.

Duck Dog
06-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Gonna finish that labotomy?

If I won 100 grand, I would help out Prince Okar transfer that 40M dollars that's stuck in a bank in europe. He said he'd give me 20% of the money. Takes money to make money!

He told me it was in a bank in Africa!

Why that lousy, lying sack 'o....... :cuss:

Phobia
06-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Well the worst part is, is that there were at least 9 other people who called before her thinking that it was $100,000...

No, the worst part is some braindead judge will probably allow this case to go to trial and then a bunch of hicks will award the money out of spite.

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2005, 12:51 PM
I wonder if they tried to tell her it was only a candy bar right after they told her she won a '100 Grand'?

KCTitus
06-24-2005, 12:53 PM
No, the worst part is some braindead judge will probably allow this case to go to trial and then a bunch of hicks will award the money out of spite.

Yup...I call that the 'Idiot Lottery'...people win large cash rewards via their own stupidity.

RedThat
06-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey...100 Grand aint just 'a chocolate bar', it's much, much more than that and they're damn good.

ROFL funny

Phobia
06-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Yup...I call that the 'Idiot Lottery'...people win large cash rewards via their own stupidity.

Heh. The lawyer will probably pocket 75%. If the stupid broad would put as much effort and energy into ANYTHING as she has this lawsuit, I'm guessing she'd probably do better than $25k on it. I dunno. People are stupid.

RedThat
06-24-2005, 12:55 PM

your probably right. What is this world coming to?

nmt1
06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't have been excited about the hundred grand but I would've been pretty happy with one of these:

Skip Towne
06-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Braindead judge and a bunch of hicks. Yup, you live on the Missouri side.

chagrin
06-24-2005, 01:10 PM

Thank you, phobia! This is going to change my life! I'm going to do good things with this money. Good things! You're going to be proud!

Don't forget the shopping spree and the house with a backyard and the pair of Air Jordans, A.I. Jersey and dental work

jcl-kcfan2
06-24-2005, 01:36 PM

Hey, that might've worked for them if they would have said"you will win A 100 grand".

Just saying you will win "100 grand" does imply money...

Gotta say on this one, the radio station was the stupid one.

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 01:42 PM
She is gonna get the money. Radio broadcasters just need to stop doing this. The "Toy Yoda" prank cost that radio station a real Toyota. I don't see why people sue, because they aren't losing anything by participating in the contests. :rolleyes:

Lzen
06-24-2005, 02:01 PM
I probably would've fallen for this prank, too. And for those that say you wouldn't fall for it, don't be so sure. I mean yeah, you wouldn't fall for that if it was one of your buds. But a radio station? C'mon.

However, filing a lawsuit over this is stupid. It's not like she's out any money. The only thing she got was a little public humiliation. I would be happy that I got 5K. :) But seeing the FCC rules stating that "FCC regulations say contest descriptions can't be false, misleading or deceptive and that stations must conduct the contests as advertised", I think the station should receive a hefty fine.

Thig Lyfe
06-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Assuming these are new, who thinks they can buy a mini van and a new home with a yard for 100K and then have enough left over for a shopping spree and savings?

Yeah, seriously. What a total idiot. This woman must have the IQ of a 1st grader. They think that 100 is like the biggest number ever!

I wonder if they tried to tell her it was only a candy bar right after they told her she won a '100 Grand'?

Probably, but the stupid hick spazzed out about buying everything and their grandma the whole time.

She doesn't deserve a dime.

Iowanian
06-24-2005, 02:06 PM
"Before the family went to bed, Gill promised her children -- ages 1, 5 and 11 -- that they'd have a minivan, a shopping spree, a savings account and a home with a back yard.

"I couldn't sleep, there were so many knots in my stomach," said Gill, who is six months pregnant."

3 on the ground and 1 on the way....no mention of the father. Something tells me this broad hits her free money lottery the first of every month.

Eff her.

Pitt Gorilla
06-24-2005, 02:08 PM
This chick needs to STFU and enjoy her 5 grand.

DJay23
06-24-2005, 02:14 PM
"By the time Gill and her fiance returned home from breakfast, a message from the station manager was waiting."

Whether he's the father or not remains to be seen. I'm betting on "not."

Skip Towne
06-24-2005, 02:19 PM
She is gonna get the money. Radio broadcasters just need to stop doing this. The "Toy Yoda" prank cost that radio station a real Toyota. I don't see why people sue, because they aren't losing anything by participating in the contests. :rolleyes:
I think they sue to get money.

Iowanian
06-24-2005, 02:22 PM
I think they sue, win the case, and the lawyer ends up with 85%.

Just keep cashing those welfare and Child support checks, skank. You've already got a meal ticket.

Donger
06-24-2005, 02:26 PM

I can think of a few gals on this BB that would probably have fallen for it.

Hydrae
06-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Moral: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

If she hadn't already spent the money in her own mind, she probably would not have gotten so upset. As it is, it sounds like the radio station was deliberately misleading and will have to pay in the long run.

Brock
06-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Moral: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

If she hadn't already spent the money in her own mind, she probably would not have gotten so upset. As it is, it sounds like the radio station was deliberately misleading and will have to pay in the long run.

They'll have to, and they should have to. I mean, it's a really, REALLY stupid joke.

Fire Me Boy!
06-24-2005, 03:01 PM
I think there's a lot of people here saying they wouldn't fall for it when they would. It's a radio station, and normally these things are legit. There have been a few radio stations in the KC area over the last 5 years that have given away comparable amounts, so it's not like it's unheard of. Further, if you were the butt of the joke you'd be pissed to, and most of you, myself included, would jump at the opportunity if some lawyer called me, quoted the FCC law, and said listen, we'll get it for you, I take 40%, you get the rest...

As for being able to spend that kind of money on everything she said, it's not that bad... go away from the city and you can get a decent three bedroom home with a good yard for $60K, drop $25K on the minivan, and you've got $15K leftover for shopping and savings... now, I realize that doesn't included taxes, but often times when we get good news about a winning like that we get excited and don't always think things through, like taxes.

The radio station was OBVIOUSLY in the wrong, and you people are going after this lady because she wants what the station is LEGALLY OBLIGATED to give her... and not the damn candy bar. The DJ knew what he was doing, and was doing it ONLY for the prank.

So why is it OK for the DJ to do it ONLY for the prank, but it's not OK for the woman to sue ONLY for the money? Yes, it crowds the courts, so show dipshits like the DJ that he can't do this shit and get away with it... then there will be fewer BS lawsuits in our judicial system.

Fire Me Boy!
06-24-2005, 03:02 PM
The part I think is wrong is that the lady will undoubtedly ask for the $100,000, PLUS pain and suffering... now THAT'S bull. Give her the $100,000, but award $1 for pain and suffering.

Rain Man
06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
So, phobia, when are you going to send me my $100,000?

WolfDawg
06-26-2005, 09:49 AM
The worst part of this whole story is that it was a 100 grand bar those things suck, I would sue to. Now if ithey had given her a Snickers I'm sure everything would have been fine, because they satisfy.

Bwana
06-26-2005, 10:05 AM
that is hilarious!!! I was a broadcaster for 12 years, I find this too funny for words!!

ROFL

That's because you were a broadcaster for 12 years and not in station management for 12 years. :) I think the whole thing is funny as hell myself, but the station is going have have to shit 100K.

R&GHomer
06-26-2005, 11:18 AM
The radio station is wrong and should be held accountable. Regardless of the womanís financial or social station in life she got duped. I have a brother in the business and with all the fines the fcc has leveled against his show they would have crucified him for something like this. The facts are the facts, itís against the law to be misleading and they clearly were.

Deberg_1990
06-26-2005, 01:10 PM

exactly. Thats been floating around the internet now for at least 8-10 years.

Ari Chi3fs
06-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Im gonna give away a Hundred Grand and a brand new Toy Yoda to the next three posters on this thread.

Rudy lost the toss
06-26-2005, 01:48 PM
here's a funny 100 grand prank
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/100grand.html

Deberg_1990
06-26-2005, 02:17 PM
here's a funny 100 grand prank
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/100grand.html

thats the one thats been floating arond the net for the past 10 years or so. Classic stuff.

Valiant
06-26-2005, 02:45 PM
I would call the candy company and see if they would donate 100k worth of 100 grand candy bars and then give to the lady... Then that shit would be classic..