PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Home-cooked Meal...not BBQ Grilled?

Ari Chi3fs
06-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Man, we are eating some homeade tacos... with homeade salsa and Guacamole that I made... unreal.

What are some of your favorite dinner dishes? If you feel assertive... throw down a recipe...

Cannibal
06-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Man, we are eating some homeade tacos... with homeade salsa and Guacamole that I made... unreal.

What are some of your favorite dinner dishes? If you feel assertive... throw down a recipe...

We make those all the time. Very good.

I also love a good pot roast. I've got one in the freezer right now. I think I'll go thaw it out.

We have an "earthen pot" that we got from Germany that we use to cook the roast to perfection.

Count Alex's Losses
06-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Spaghetti. With big chunks of italian sausage.

Pants
06-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Spaghetti. With big chunks of italian sausage.

Gochiefs loves the sausage. LOVES it!

Phobia
06-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Yeah - Tacos and guac done right are pretty hard to beat. I really, really enjoy the mexican fare. To be accurate, it's Tex-Mex I like. Authentic mexican is a little bland.

Oh - I do a crawfish bisque that I put on top of what is usually a grilled fillet of fish, but I suppose it could just as easily be pan seared. It's pretty brilliant.

Count Alex's Losses
06-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Gochiefs loves the sausage. LOVES it!

ROFL

ChiefsFire
06-24-2005, 11:59 PM
cant beat the ole ladies lasanga....mmmm mmm

cheesey,meaty ,gooey........

damn near give up sex for it.....

damn near

Fire Me Boy!
06-25-2005, 12:01 AM
My homemade lasagne... I'll tell you, it's a heart attack on a plate! Damn thing weighs 10 pounds! It's a beautiful thing... and dammit... I may have to make one tomorrow.

keg in kc
06-25-2005, 12:05 AM
I used to love making pizza. My own (beer) dough and sauce, fresh ingredients. Been a long, long time since I last did that.

Right now my favorite meals are probably some turkey burgers and ore-ida extra crispy fries I bake up, and this teriaki-marinated salmon and vegetable dinner I have fairly often. In terms of regular stuff I eat. I do like making tacos, too, although like the burgers, I substitute turkey.

Probably my other favorite thing, and this obviously ain't a meal, is chex party mix. I think I could live on that stuff, but I try not to make it more than every 5 or 6 months.

DJay23
06-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Tacos are favorite meal 1B for me. Favorite meal 1A, or as I like to call it my "Death Row meal" (last meal I'd ever eat) consists of:

-Fried Chicken with lots of dark meat pieces, and fried in with lots of flour and a ton of grease.

-Homemade Mashed 'Taters with cream gravy.

-Cream corn, homemade. None of the canned stuff, the real thick sweet cream corn.

-Homemade biscuits with more cream gravy.

-For dessert, a nice Cherry Cheesecake.

My grandma used to make this all the time for Sunday dinner and I was in Heaven when she did.

Reaper16
06-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Crappie scampi (!) or fried catfish.

DJay23
06-25-2005, 12:09 AM
I forgot the fresh squeezed, not too sugary not too sour lemonade with just a hint of pulp.

Cannibal
06-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Tacos are favorite meal 1B for me. Favorite meal 1A, or as I like to call it my "Death Row meal" (last meal I'd ever eat) consists of:

-Fried Chicken with lots of dark meat pieces, and fried in with lots of flour and a ton of grease.

-Cream corn, homemade. None of the canned stuff, the real thick sweet cream corn.

My grandma used to make this all the time for Sunday dinner and I was in Heaven when she did.

Are U black?

Just kidding... that actually sounds really fuking good right about now.

go bowe
06-25-2005, 12:21 AM
sweet and sour meatballs over rice...

1" to 1-1/2" ground beef meatballs, rolled in secret chinese and samoan seasonings and then pan fried and then simmered in a thickened tomato-based sauce with more secret ingredients to make it sweet and sour...

over fluffy steamed rice...

with hot peppers on the side...

it is my wife's "recipe" handed down to her by her mother, who was part chinese and part samoan...

she doesn't measure anything and doesn't always use the same ingredients, but it is always so yummy i can't begin to describe it...

she makes it for my birthday every year...

Fire Me Boy!
06-25-2005, 12:23 AM
don't be foolin'... the "secret sauce" is cream of soom yoon gai.

go bowe
06-25-2005, 12:24 AM

My grandma used to make this all the time for Sunday dinner and I was in Heaven when she did.except for having some homemade fruit pie instead of cheesecake, you could be talking about my grandmother's sunday dinner when i was a kid... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

go bowe
06-25-2005, 12:26 AM
don't be foolin'... the "secret sauce" is cream of soom yoon gai.no, i'm pretty sure it's not...

the sauce is a deep dark red color... :D :D :D

Fire Me Boy!
06-25-2005, 12:28 AM
no, i'm pretty sure it's not...

the sauce is a deep dark red color... :D :D :D
Ask Teribilis, but that might be a pretty bad virus.

Nzoner
06-25-2005, 12:58 AM
My homemade chili followed closely by my homemade vegetable beef soup.

Ari Chi3fs
06-25-2005, 01:03 AM
My homemade lasagne... I'll tell you, it's a heart attack on a plate! Damn thing weighs 10 pounds! It's a beautiful thing... and dammit... I may have to make one tomorrow.

Im thinking you need to put that recipe up on here, so my wife can cook it. Her lasagne sucks... but I tell her its delicious.

Ari Chi3fs
06-25-2005, 01:04 AM
sweet and sour meatballs over rice...

1" to 1-1/2" ground beef meatballs, rolled in secret chinese and samoan seasonings and then pan fried and then simmered in a thickened tomato-based sauce with more secret ingredients to make it sweet and sour...

over fluffy steamed rice...

with hot peppers on the side...

it is my wife's "recipe" handed down to her by her mother, who was part chinese and part samoan...

she doesn't measure anything and doesn't always use the same ingredients, but it is always so yummy i can't begin to describe it...

she makes it for my birthday every year...

damn, they need to clone your wife.

go bowe
06-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Im thinking you need to put that recipe up on here, so my wife can cook it. Her lasagne sucks... but I tell her its delicious.smart man...

keep your woman happy and she'll make you happy for the rest of your life...

yep, yep, it really does work... :) :) :)

go bowe
06-25-2005, 01:10 AM
damn, they need to clone your wife.yeah, it's too bad all her sisters are married, but she's got some knock-out teen age nieces...

and the nieces in their twenties are fine, too...

almost makes me wish i was 20 again...

hell, who am i kidding?

i DO wish i was twenty again... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Fire Me Boy!
06-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Im thinking you need to put that recipe up on here, so my wife can cook it. Her lasagne sucks... but I tell her its delicious.
It's pretty easy, it just requires a LOT of meat and a LOT of cheese, and a big casserole dish to cook it in.

Preheat oven 350.

Last time I made it I used an entire box of lasagne noodles (uncooked). Use a couple good size bottles of your favorite sauce and mix with your choice of meat. I use beef because I don't care for Italian sausage, and use Newman's Own marinara, then spice it up with my own tastes... cook the sauce for 15 minutes or so (simmer) WITH the meat so the meat can get saturated with the sauce. Mix about 2 cups of the sauce with 16 oz. of ricotta... have 2 pounds of mozerella, shredded on hand, as well as about 16 oz. of good parmesian (I use the expensive, Parmigiano Reggiano at about $18/lb., but well worth it!).

Start your layering, but keep in mind you're going to go heavy on everything! Spread a little sauce on the bottom of the pan, put a layer of lasagne noodles on it, spread the ricotta mixture, then sauce, then mozerella & parmesian, and do that till you're out of noodles. The last sauce/meat layer, skip the ricotta (you should be out by now), leave off the mozerella/parmesian. Pour about 1/2 cup of water around the edges (this, combined with the sauce, will cook the noodles). Cover the pan with tin foil, and bake for an hour or so... take the foil off, put a knife in it and check the toughness of the noodles. Cook it more if it needs it. If it's good to go, top it off with a bunch more mozerella/parmesian and cook just until the cheese starts to brown. Take it out and let it sit for 15 minutes and you'll be ready to die with clogged arteries and a smile on your face!

luv
06-25-2005, 01:33 AM

Make the fried chicken not so greasy and more white meat, throw in strawberry cheesecake instead of cherry, and I'll join ya. Love sweet cream corn mixed with mashed potatoes. No home cooked meal is complete without at least the mashed potatoes and cream corn.

trndobrd
06-25-2005, 05:21 AM
Brauts with glazed apples

Chicken Enchiladas

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Spaghetti with sauce made from scratch. Takes 4 hours to cook.

ExtremeChief
06-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Brocolli/Rice Casserole

Brown 1lb pork sausage with some onions

Cook 2 cups of rice
Cook half a bag of frozen brocolli

Once all is cooked, put rice, brocolli and sausage in caserolle pan, add on can cream of chicken soup, one can cream of celery soup and one small can of cheez whiz. Mix and bake at 350 for about half an hour. Put shredded cheddar cheese on top and put back in oven until melted. Good stuff.

DJay23
06-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Are U black?

Just kidding... that actually sounds really fuking good right about now.
Nope, Kansan

DJay23
06-25-2005, 08:31 AM
except for having some homemade fruit pie instead of cheesecake, you could be talking about my grandmother's sunday dinner when i was a kid... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Funny thing is, my grandma most generally made fruit pies (My favorite was some kind of grape pie, not sure exactly what it was but damn was it good). My very favorite though was/is cherry cheesecake. Anytime my mom asks me if I want her to make me a cake for my birthday, cherry cheesecake is my answer.

carlos3652
06-25-2005, 09:27 AM
My wife makes a mean:

Chicken Enchilada, Roast, Tacos,

My Mom makes the best:

Empanadas, Milanesas

Wish i had recipes to share but I cant cook anything that is not on a grill...

CHIEF4EVER
06-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Gotta go with Hot Wings served with Celery and Blue Cheese dressing.

Ari Chi3fs
06-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Damn, Im hungry again.

papasmurf
06-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Spagetti

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 12:42 PM
My wife makes a mean:

Chicken Enchilada, Roast, Tacos,

My Mom makes the best:

Empanadas, Milanesas

Wish i had recipes to share but I cant cook anything that is not on a grill...
Can you make grilled meatloaf? My favorite.

mlyonsd
06-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Lasagna

htismaqe
06-25-2005, 01:28 PM
I got a brisket on...it's been on about 6 hours and has about 8 left to go, so I'm munching on some taco/fajita things that I make...

Corn tortillas with sour cream, homemade pico de gallo (my cilantro plants are about 4 feet tall!), and grilled steak...

Phobia
06-25-2005, 01:39 PM
I got a brisket on...it's been on about 6 hours and has about 8 left to go, so I'm munching on some taco/fajita things that I make...

Corn tortillas with sour cream, homemade pico de gallo (my cilantro plants are about 4 feet tall!), and grilled steak...

Awesome. I have GOT to start growing my own cilantro. I go through that stuff.

htismaqe
06-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Awesome. I have GOT to start growing my own cilantro. I go through that stuff.

Yeah, it was starting to seem like everytime I wanted to make pico neither of the stores in town had fresh cilantro.

So I planted 3 4-inch plants about 6 inches apart. Now I have a bush about 4' tall and 2' wide. :D

Phobia
06-25-2005, 01:49 PM
You don't still live in that town, do you? Those grocery stores carry meat, taters, & carrots.

dirk digler
06-25-2005, 01:55 PM
My homemade Steak and Rice is my non BBQ grilled fav.

I am going to BBQ tomorrow and here is my menu:

Baby Back Ribs
Chicken
Grilled Corn
Grilled Peach Cobbler

I don't think after that I will eat for a while.

Phil, I know it has been suggested before but maybe we should get a Recipe Sub Forum or Food Sub Forum so we can post recipes and what not.

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 02:02 PM
I have some ribs on the smoker right now with a lot of htismage's input. I did the mustard thing with the dry rub. About 7 I will be giving them a skarf test.

dirk digler
06-25-2005, 02:11 PM
I have some ribs on the smoker right now with a lot of htismage's input. I did the mustard thing with the dry rub. About 7 I will be giving them a skarf test.

Next week I am going to smoke some spare ribs. How long are you going to smoke them? Do you use the 3-2-1 method?

keg in kc
06-25-2005, 02:12 PM
About 7 I will be giving them a skarf test.That makes me think of the joke about being so ugly you tie meat around your neck to get the dog to play with you.

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Next week I am going to smoke some spare ribs. How long are you going to smoke them? Do you use the 3-2-1 method?
I have found that 8 hours works best on my cheap smoker. It is one of those bullet looking Brinkman's. You can lift the whole thing off of the fire box though, pretty handy for adding fuel.
Last ones turned out incredible and I just put them on with no seasoning.
3-2-1?

That makes me think of the joke about being so ugly you tie meat around your neck to get the dog to play with you.

Pretty bad when that is what it takes for a dog to play with you. ROFL

keg in kc
06-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Pretty bad when that is what it takes for a dog to play with you.Let me tell ya...

Chieficus
06-25-2005, 02:24 PM
I too, like the (Tex-)Mexican and Italian dishes...

But...

I really like a bowl of slow-cooked (crock-pot) pinto beans (flavored with a few chunks of ham and salt), along with a nice iron-sillket baked pan of golden-brown cornbread.

Throw in a thing of fried okra (not deep battered, but picked fresh, lightly battered, and skillet fried) and it would be a darn near perfect meal...

dirk digler
06-25-2005, 02:26 PM
I have found that 8 hours works best on my cheap smoker. It is one of those bullet looking Brinkman's. You can lift the whole thing off of the fire box though, pretty handy for adding fuel.
Last ones turned out incredible and I just put them on with no seasoning.
3-2-1?

Pretty bad when that is what it takes for a dog to play with you. ROFL

3 hrs - how long the ribs are in the smoker unwrapped.

2 hrs - how long the ribs are wrapped in foil in the smoker

1 hr - how long the ribs are in the smoker unwrapped again

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3264&highlight=321

keg in kc
06-25-2005, 02:26 PM
One thing I like that I haven't had for a while is this crockpot conglomeration with smoked sausage and apples. Mmmm, might have to whip some of that up.

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 02:30 PM

Hmm, have to try that some time. Have never understood using foil in a smoker though. Seems like a contradiction. :hmmm: Other than a brisket of course, need help keep the juice next to it IMO.

BIG_DADDY
06-25-2005, 03:00 PM

Sweet

the Talking Can
06-25-2005, 03:23 PM
beef and noodles

homemade egg noodles cooked in broth with roast beef and potatoes (in the broth as well)..ain't fancy, but it is comfort food supreme (though the noodles require some time and work, have to let them dry)....mmmmmmm

carlos3652
06-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Can you make grilled meatloaf? My favorite.

Yes! Geat stuff... but add this twist... (Italian) here is the recipe for all you do it yourselfers:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lc_entrees/article/0,2041,DIY_14002_2271468,00.html

I love it... My mom used to make Milanesa a la Napolitana (cheese and sauce) Italian type.... and I never looked back...

Italian is the only way to go...

http://www.alimentacion-sana.com.ar/informaciones/Chef/milanesa.htm

dtebbe
06-25-2005, 04:01 PM
It may not be home cooked, but the Country fried steak with mashed potatos, sawmill (white) gravy (on both the steak and potatos), green beans, and fried okra, is my favorite at Cracker Barrel. I would almost take that meal over an expensive steak joint most days.

I call it "Heart attack on a plate".

DT

Der Flöprer
06-25-2005, 04:08 PM
I've lived in Seattle about my whole life, but I was born in KCMO and my whole family is from there so my favorite would be the traditional midwestern fried chicken, mashed taters and gravy, stuffing, corn, rolls, deviled eggs, and cottege cheese. Makes my dick hard just thinkin about it.

CHIEF4EVER
06-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Roberts patented BBQ Brisket. Must be cooked low and slow (6-8 hours).
Start with all fat trimmed off of the brisket. Then rub with the following rub:
1 Tbsp Chili powder
1 Tbsp Garlic powder
1.5 Tsp Oregano (Ground is best)
1 Tsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
3/4 Tsp ground Cumin
1/4 Tsp Cayenne pepper
Be generous with the rub and rub it in well. This rub mixture in the above amounts is enough for a medium sized brisket flat. Let sit for about 2 hours and prepare your charcoal at the appropriate time. Indirect heat MUST be used or the meat will turn out dry and tough. The best way to do this is to fill a bread loaf pan most of the way full with water and place in the center of the grill. On each side of the water pan, place 15 charcoal briquets. Cover the grill above the coals with aluminum foil leaving a strip in the middle open directly above the water pan. This will ensure that the temperature remains constant and indirect. It also makes the meat self basting. Ignite the coals. After the flame goes out and the coals get their "gray", add a layer of dry briquets to the top of the existing coals. They will ignite by themselves from the heat of the existing coals and make a long burning coal bed that isn't too hot. Cook for 6-8 hours. NOTE: Upon completion, the meat must be cut cross grain at a very steep angle and it is best to cut it in very thin slices. Enjoy the most tender brisket you have ever eaten.

I just finished 2 flats and they are absolutely perrrrrrrfect.

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I've lived in Seattle about my whole life, but I was born in KCMO and my whole family is from there so my favorite would be the traditional midwestern fried chicken, mashed taters and gravy, stuffing, corn, rolls, deviled eggs, and cottege cheese. Makes my dick hard just thinkin about it.
TMI

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 05:24 PM

Heh Heh, just put some chicken and veggies on with the ribs about a half hour ago. Hunger is starting to creep in over the Jack Daniel's. :drool:

htismaqe
06-25-2005, 05:39 PM
The brisket has been on 10 hours and the pork butts have been on about 9.

We're eating mozza sticks and jalapeno poppers right now.

BTW, for anyone who wants a killer jalapeno popper recipe, do this:

Halve the jalapenos and stuff them with cream cheese like normal. Then, instead of battering them and frying them, wrap each of them in a strip of bacon and grill them...oh my!

Reaper16
06-25-2005, 06:06 PM
^^ Mozzarella sticks > life

CHIEF4EVER
06-25-2005, 06:14 PM

Halve the jalapenos and stuff them with cream cheese like normal. Then, instead of battering them and frying them, wrap each of them in a strip of bacon and grill them...oh my!

Do you make your mozza sticks from scratch? If so, how do you do it?

htismaqe
06-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Do you make your mozza sticks from scratch? If so, how do you do it?

Alas, no. Just the poppers.

Reaper16
06-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Best Mozzarella sticks around: Kearney Truck Plaza, (KTP) the truckstop right off of I-35. I'm there like 3 times a week.

CHIEF4EVER
06-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Best Mozzarella sticks around: Kearney Truck Plaza, (KTP) the truckstop right off of I-35. I'm there like 3 times a week.

I'll have to try them out next time I am in the area. I get through there once or twice a month. You a fellow trucker Reaper?

Phobia
06-25-2005, 07:13 PM
You a fellow trucker Reaper?

He's a lot lizard. Heh.

Reaper16
06-25-2005, 07:14 PM
I'll have to try them out next time I am in the area. I get through there once or twice a month. You a fellow trucker Reaper?

Nope, I'm a 19 year old college kid. I love KTP for the food and atmosphere.

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Alas, no. Just the poppers.

Hey, you were right about the ribs not tasting like mustard. The rub flavor really came through. Thanks!

Reaper16
06-25-2005, 07:16 PM
He's a lot lizard. Heh.

:dom: lol

htismaqe
06-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey, you were right about the ribs not tasting like mustard. The rub flavor really came through. Thanks!

Yep. The mustard takes some getting used to though. It can really expose your rub, if it's too salty/sugary/spicy. A rub that you previously like might be too strong when using it with the mustard.

Just about 1 hour left on the brisket! :D

Count Alex's Losses
06-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Meat....brings us...TOGETHER!

dirk digler
06-26-2005, 09:38 AM

Damn those sound good I might have to try them sometime.

dirk digler
06-26-2005, 09:39 AM

So your BBQ was good last night?

I am about to start my BBQ in a little bit with some Baby Back Ribs and some chicken.

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 09:59 AM
So your BBQ was good last night?

I am about to start my BBQ in a little bit with some Baby Back Ribs and some chicken.

It's 10am. You aren't gonna be eating until 7! ;)

WolfDawg
06-26-2005, 10:00 AM
5 alarm chilli with cayenne peppers and jalopenas peppers, so hot you crap fire for 2 days.

also red beans and rice.

dirk digler
06-26-2005, 03:41 PM
It's 10am. You aren't gonna be eating until 7! ;)

Actually I ate around 1. I didn't smoke my ribs I used the indirect method. It is supposed to take 1 1/2 hrs to cook on medium heat. They weren't bad but I am going to smoke them next time.