PDA

View Full Version : battlefield 2

Ash
06-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Any one playing the new bf2 game?I got it yesterday its a hell of an upgrade from battlefield 1942 and battlefield vietnam.I like the squad commander and commander elements in the game.The grapics are very much improved as well.

CHIEF4EVER
06-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Any one playing the new bf2 game?I got it yesterday its a hell of an upgrade from battlefield 1942 and battlefield vietnam.I like the squad commander and commander elements in the game.The grapics are very much improved as well.

Haven't seen that one yet. My son got me Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 and MOHRS for the XBOX. I will be occupied with those for awhile as I am finally HALO'ed out for awhile.

Wrasse
06-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Good times.

I picked up a new flight stick and have been practicing flying helicopters in the game...now I just need to convince the SO to let me play more often. The game is so damn addictive and with all the work I have to do, I don't get to play it much...I've got shakes...must...play...more...often...

Otter
07-01-2005, 09:07 AM
So what's the review on this game? Is it better than CoD?

My clan (yes I'm in a gaming clan :loser: ) just put up a server but I don't play any online games much till the weather gets cold. If the game is worth the investment it might be nice to get up to par for when matches start rolling around and invest now.

Wrasse
07-01-2005, 09:50 AM
So what's the review on this game? Is it better than CoD?

My clan (yes I'm in a gaming clan :loser: ) just put up a server but I don't play any online games much till the weather gets cold. If the game is worth the investment it might be nice to get up to par for when matches start rolling around and invest now.
I don't play Call of Duty but am a Counterstrike, Tribes and Battlefield 1942 fan. I really enjoy the game.

Everything seems balanced, gameplay moves from fun to amazing with a good team and squad leaders who pay attention to the commander, vehicles are fun to drive (but the heli takes a bit of learning and can be frustrating at first), the "kits" or classes are fun and varied and the raising in rank of your player as you rack up points on ranked servers is a great idea (you are able to unlock new guns for your kits and you gain new military ranks as you progress...it pretty much introduces MMORPG elements to this genre of game).

Having a clan and your own server is even more reason to get the game, IMHO.

I haven't had a FPS that really hooked me since Tribes or the original Counterstrike but this one has managed to do so...I really recommend it but check your hardware settings. This puppy will not run on old GeForce 4 cards and requires Direct X 9 compatible graphics cards.

Complaints:
Gamespy browser for finding games is slow and really annoying.
Key binding interface is rather clunky
Long non-interruptible splash screens at the intro of the game are annoying (but you can remove them although they have been known to set off the punk-buster alarm as files are being manipulated)

I hope that helps. :)

Oh...head to Gamespot and read their game guide. It's a good primer and will give you a great idea on how the whole game plays out.

Loki
07-04-2005, 09:38 PM
I don't play Call of Duty but am a Counterstrike, Tribes and Battlefield 1942 fan. I really enjoy the game.

did you ever try the BF1942 mods
desert combat (http://www.desertcombat.com/)
or
desert combat extended (http://www.dcxtended.com/)

i have been trying out the demo version of BF2 and find it to be quite
similar to DCX.

Otter
07-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Bought BF2 on Friday and wound up playing it until 8am Saturday Morning. What a cool game, I think my CoD days are over.

The size of the battlefields, weapon selection, need to work as teams to succeed, choice of different classes, jet airplanes with bombs/missles/machine guns, helicopters (both transport and Apache), special ops buggies...amazing.

It's 95% "good" so I'll just list the "bad".

-logon times to servers
-even maps with alot of buildings have very little freedom to roam around inside those buildings, 99% of the game is outdoors even in urban maps
-too much damage given out for little things like jumping off a 5' wall or driving over a bump
-no way to save favorite servers to a quick access list

Apparently a patch is due out any day that is supposed to fix a couple of those issues. We'll see how that works out.

I should have waited till winter to buy this game just because I don't mind spending too much time in front of the computer when it's cold and miserable out.

EDIT - My flying skills have progressed to being able to get a chopper over a location and bail out to parachute down to the point, I can get them up but can't land 'em

Wrasse
07-05-2005, 08:40 AM
did you ever try the BF1942 mods
desert combat (http://www.desertcombat.com/)
or
desert combat extended (http://www.dcxtended.com/)

i have been trying out the demo version of BF2 and find it to be quite
similar to DCX.
Never tried those mods but heard good things about them...quit playing BF1942 because work got busy and never got back to the game until BF2 just became available.

Wrasse
07-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Bought BF2 on Friday and wound up playing it until 8am Saturday Morning. What a cool game, I think my CoD days are over.

The size of the battlefields, weapon selection, need to work as teams to succeed, choice of different classes, jet airplanes with bombs/missles/machine guns, helicopters (both transport and Apache), special ops buggies...amazing.

-logon times to servers
-even maps with alot of buildings have very little freedom to roam around inside those buildings, 99% of the game is outdoors even in urban maps
-too much damage given out for little things like jumping off a 5' wall or driving over a bump

Apparently a patch is due out any day that is supposed to fix a couple of those issues. We'll see how that works out.

I should have waited till winter to buy this game just because I don't mind spending too much time in front of the computer when it's cold and miserable out.

EDIT - My flying skills have progressed to being able to get a chopper over a location and bail out to parachute down to the point, I can get them up but can't land 'em
I'm with you on those negative points...haven't heard about the patch but about to go search for it to see what is on the horizon.

I love the badges...got a few gold and silver stars along with my tank/armor and kit associated badges. It's just something fun to play for...

Also got my helicopter badge as well but, for some odd reason, can't fly as well under pressure. :P I've got it down when "practicing" in single player (run and hover over flags to take them, etc.) but in multiplayer I've always got my gunner/friend yelling at me over teamspeak that I make a few more errors. :) heh I need to practice a bit more but I love the fact that some of the vehicles take some skill to pilot. I've got those land-based ones down and love driving tanks...but I would love to be a good chopper pilot soon.

BTW...how do you have your chopper controls set up? You using a joystick? I've got a Thrustmaster Fox Pro 2 USB (I believe that is what it is called) and have the up/down and left/right axis set to the pitch of the chopper and the "twist" of the joystick set to turning...works well for me. I also fly in nose-view (hit C once to make the HUD disappear when you are a pilot or gunner to get a better view) and sometimes switch to chase view if I'm hovering over a flag.

Happy piloting.

Otter
07-05-2005, 01:26 PM
BTW...how do you have your chopper controls set up? You using a joystick?

No, just a keyboard and mouse with the controls inversed for all aircraft. I think the easiest way to fly is using W/S/A/D for throttle and turns with the arrow keys for pitch and yaw.

The arrow keys for pitch and yaw only work well in a transport heli where you don't have to control guns/missles/bombs though. Kinda need a mouse for the guns and scrolling through weapons.

I'm still pretty clueless when it comes to flying. Pretty tough.

My two favorite vehicles are the special ops buggys (man can they boogie) and the anti-air armored vehicle. The machine guns on those things can light up just about anything.

Also, found this webpage: http://totalbf2.com/ It seems to have some good info on console commands, setup tweaks, and stuff like that.

Loki
07-05-2005, 01:40 PM

-logon times to servers

wow... done with CoD??!! that's apretty bold statement. (do you have
the united offensive expansion pack?) team deathmatch on CoDUO is
serious fun IMO.

a lot of what you describe about BF2 were in the DC and DCX mods i
mentioned earlier. modern weapons and vehicles/aircraft/watercraft.

CoDUO has some REALLY good urban maps with indoor and outdoor
carnage to spare. some of the custom maps for DC/DCX were from
recent conflicts (baghdad, mosul, basrah, etc...). the maps were nice
but i had the same complaint you did about there being hardly or no
interiors of buildings to duck into, snipe from or set up boobytraps.
that kinda sucks that BF2 followed suit...

HC_Chief
07-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Bought this game on June 22nd... release day. Been playing since :D

It is UBER badass.

Otter
07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
wow... done with CoD??!! that's apretty bold statement. (do you have the united offensive expansion pack?) team deathmatch on CoDUO is serious fun IMO.

a lot of what you describe about BF2 were in the DC and DCX mods i
mentioned earlier. modern weapons and vehicles/aircraft/watercraft.

CoDUO has some REALLY good urban maps with indoor and outdoor
carnage to spare. some of the custom maps for DC/DCX were from
recent conflicts (baghdad, mosul, basrah, etc...). the maps were nice
but i had the same complaint you did about there being hardly or no
interiors of buildings to duck into, snipe from or set up boobytraps.
that kinda sucks that BF2 followed suit...

I spend 90% of my CoD time on S&D servers. Deathmatch is fun for me every blue moon but I like a bigger objective. Plus there were better players on S&D as far as not cheating, working as team...that kind of stuff.

When I go through a game transition like this one it usually takes me a little while for the new game to grow on me. This one sucked me in about 15 minutes after starting. I'm not even that good at it yet and CaNt sToP PlayINg.

Download the demo and give it a try, it's freakin' awsome.

Loki
07-09-2005, 03:33 PM
I spend 90% of my CoD time on S&D servers. Deathmatch is fun for me every blue moon but I like a bigger objective. Plus there were better players on S&D as far as not cheating, working as team...that kind of stuff.

When I go through a game transition like this one it usually takes me a little while for the new game to grow on me. This one sucked me in about 15 minutes after starting. I'm not even that good at it yet and CaNt sToP PlayINg.

Download the demo and give it a try, it's freakin' awsome.

already downloaded the demo. been checking it out, but as i said,
it reminds me of the DC/DCX mods i mentioned.

Wrasse
07-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Had to reinstall it after the patch...had some stutters and bad pings after I installed it (It has a memory leak)...a hot fix is on the way. Just an FYI.

I've gotten so much better as a pilot but still not as good as some at the run and hover over flag routine...someday. :)

Demonpenz
07-09-2005, 05:49 PM
ive been playing medal of honor euro assault your standard fps for console still worth a rent

KC Jones
07-10-2005, 07:32 AM
I've been having a blast with this game. I regularly play with 2 buddies of mine and we load out as Special Ops, Support, and a Medic. It's been great since we can reload each other, heal each other, snipe, and blow armor up fairly well. We've been routinely getting best squad, best support, and best medic awards on some servers with plenty of clan players. I'm usually support and often take the squad leader role. If none of you have played in squads you really should - it allows you to spawn near your leader (in addition to other things).

I really need to work on flying skills and try out the commander role.

I've been meaning to set up a ventrillo server for a while now. If I do I'll set up a Chiefsplanet BF2 channel if any of you want to try playing together. It really makes the game a lot more fun and can make you so much more effective. I realize the game has built in VOIP, but my experiences using it in counterstrike on a pub have been sooo horrible that I refuse to go there again.

Otter
07-14-2005, 12:35 PM
I've been meaning to set up a ventrillo server for a while now. If I do I'll set up a Chiefsplanet BF2 channel if any of you want to try playing together. It really makes the game a lot more fun and can make you so much more effective. I realize the game has built in VOIP, but my experiences using it in counterstrike on a pub have been sooo horrible that I refuse to go there again.

Let me know if you get that going, be nice to setup with some squads with some people who know how to play. I can play just any kit pretty well. My weakest is Assault but not bad at it, just have trouble being consistantly accurate with that grenade launcher.

Wrasse
07-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Sweet: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2specialforces/preview_6129154.html

Ash
07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Sweet: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2specialforces/preview_6129154.html
man that was fast :)

we need a chiefsplanet server I have become a fair combat heli pilot,but good co pilots who can shoot are hard to find. this game just keeps getting better.

Wrasse
07-15-2005, 07:01 PM
man that was fast :)

we need a chiefsplanet server I have become a fair combat heli pilot,but good co pilots who can shoot are hard to find. this game just keeps getting better.
When I haven't downed too many Paulaners, I'm a pretty good gunner...and chopper pilot as well. :)