PDA

View Full Version : AVG Antivirus not free anymore?

Lzen
06-25-2005, 11:47 AM
www.grisoft.com

Am I missing something or did they stop giving out the free version of AVG antivirus?

Lzen
06-25-2005, 11:49 AM
I should mention that I was having problems with the current version which I have been using for the past 3-4 months. So, I tried to reinstall it and it wouldn't install. So, I went to their website and I could only find 30 day trial versions. No free version.

the Talking Can
06-25-2005, 12:05 PM
www.grisoft.com

Am I missing something or did they stop giving out the free version of AVG antivirus?

go here:

AVG still free (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1)

Lzen
06-25-2005, 12:29 PM
go here:

AVG still free (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1)

Ok, thanks. I'll try that.

eazyb81
06-25-2005, 08:32 PM
I just downloaded it last week on my new laptop, so i'm assuming it is still available now.

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 06:42 AM
FYI, as one of the original AVG evangelists here, I use Avast.

I've found it to be far more proactive than AVG.

ToroGuns
06-26-2005, 07:42 AM

Forget AVG, download Avast http://www.avast.com/ and get free automatic updates.

2 years and no problems with it.

Lzen
06-26-2005, 09:15 AM

That's actually what I ended up doing anyway. The setup for it is kind of a pain in the bum.

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 10:00 AM
That's actually what I ended up doing anyway. The setup for it is kind of a pain in the bum.

The thing about Avast is that I haven't yet found anything that could get past it's on-access scanner. So I haven't really had a use to do the reactive scan.

Lzen
06-26-2005, 11:26 AM
The thing about Avast is that I haven't yet found anything that could get past it's on-access scanner. So I haven't really had a use to do the reactive scan.

I like the program so far. And from what you and some others have said on here, I get the impression that it's a real good AV. It was just a little bit of a pain to setup. But now I'm good to go.

chiefs4me
06-26-2005, 11:31 AM
I like the program so far. And from what you and some others have said on here, I get the impression that it's a real good AV. It was just a little bit of a pain to setup. But now I'm good to go.

I am gonna check it out.....what do I need to know about it? You said it's a pain to setup. What do you mean?

Mr. Laz
06-26-2005, 01:11 PM
glad to here there's another good free anti-virus going out there.

always good to have competition

Lzen
06-27-2005, 08:28 AM
I am gonna check it out.....what do I need to know about it? You said it's a pain to setup. What do you mean?

Well, I may not recall everything as I was working on 2 different PCs this weekend and doing all kinds of other stuff. I just remember having to jump through a couple hoops to get started. Nothing really unusual, I guess. Just go to their site and download it and follow their steps.

Another thing is that when it first comes up, it has to run a memory test for a couple minutes. Then, you have the option of clicking the Demo button or Registration button. If you click demo, you get to use the program for 60 days. If you register, they'll send a license key that you enter into your program and it'll be good to go for a year.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I may be thinking of AVG that was giving me problems more than Avast. Avast works alright after initial setup and so far, I like it.

Bob Dole
03-09-2006, 05:57 AM
The McAfee trial on the new laptop just expired and Bob Dole decided to go with Avast. Thus far, it's been a lot more user-friendly to install and configure than the latest AVG.

Lzen
03-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Avast is great. I've been using it for the past several months. It's better than AVG, IMO. I'm amazed that it's free.

Bob Dole
03-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Avast is great. I've been using it for the past several months. It's better than AVG, IMO. I'm amazed that it's free.

Bob Dole currently has AVG on the other laptop and both desktops, and based on this experience will probably switch them all to Avast. (Symantec AV is implemented enterprise-wide at the office...)

ChiefsFan4Life
03-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Another good free one I use is kaspersky

htismaqe
03-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Avast just one anti-virus product of the year in CSO magazine I read last week...

That's pretty good considering it's Czech freeware and the winners in the other categories were Nortel, Checkpoint, Nokia, ISS, and others...

unlurking
03-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Nice.

I use Avast on the family Windows boxes. Been meaning to check out their Linux version as well.

dr00d
03-09-2006, 10:07 AM
sounds like a mac vs. pc argument...who gives a sh1t if they both work and do the job, I've used AVG for years and still zero problems

Bob Dole
03-09-2006, 10:28 AM
sounds like a mac vs. pc argument...who gives a sh1t if they both work and do the job, I've used AVG for years and still zero problems

Actually, it's not anything remotely similar to a Mac versus PC argument.

We're just sharing opinions on useful, free antivirus applications.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
03-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Forget AVG, download Avast http://www.avast.com/ and get free automatic updates.

2 years and no problems with it.

As far as I know AVG has automatic free virus updates anyway. I tried Avast 6 months ago because of all the fancy bells and whistles. I liked the talking voice that said "Virus scan updated"

Well after only using it for a week I got a trojan virus. I ended up reformatting. Maybe just me, bit I will keep old ugly AVG until they pry it from my cold dead hands..................or start charging for it. :p

htismaqe
03-10-2006, 10:02 AM
As far as I know AVG has automatic free virus updates anyway. I tried Avast 6 months ago because of all the fancy bells and whistles. I liked the talking voice that said "Virus scan updated"

Well after only using it for a week I got a trojan virus. I ended up reformatting. Maybe just me, bit I will keep old ugly AVG until they pry it from my cold dead hands..................or start charging for it. :p

AVG uses client-based updates. In other words, you set your client to update every Wednesday at 6pm. If they release an update at 7pm on Wednesday, you don't get it for a full week later.

Avast uses server-based push updates.

Also, Avast is significantly better at stopping stuff BEFORE it gets into your system. I often used AVG to CLEAN viruses, I haven't used that feature in Avast one time...

dr00d
03-10-2006, 11:44 AM
gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shi....

htismaqe
03-10-2006, 12:26 PM
gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shi....

People who want a better product...

theultimatekcchiefsfan
03-11-2006, 11:15 PM
AVG uses client-based updates. In other words, you set your client to update every Wednesday at 6pm. If they release an update at 7pm on Wednesday, you don't get it for a full week later.

Also, Avast is significantly better at stopping stuff BEFORE it gets into your system. I often used AVG to CLEAN viruses, I haven't used that feature in Avast one time...

Mine seems to update everytime I log on.

memyselfI
03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I use Avast in conjunction with Zone Alarm Suite. Avast CONSISTENTLY picks up things that ZA misses. I think it's the best of the free AV software I've tried. I've tried Avast, AVG and AntiVir.

dr00d
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Mine seems to update everytime I log on.

there are 2 different ways you can setup the downloads...I have our servers at work setup to run checks for updates every night at 3am, it runs a full scan at 5am...no big deal, haven't had a single problem, since we started using the program.

go bowe
03-16-2006, 11:39 AM

Also, Avast is significantly better at stopping stuff BEFORE it gets into your system. I often used AVG to CLEAN viruses, I haven't used that feature in Avast one time...that push thing isn't included in the free version... :(

htismaqe
03-16-2006, 04:46 PM
that push thing isn't included in the free version... :(

It does for me. I have timed updates turned off...