PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from my first Demolition Derby

UteChief
06-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Pretty damn cool if you ask me. My girlfriend was hoping for a fire to break out but no such luck. A couple of the cars did get hit up on the cement baricades. I didn't think cars could run up on another car like a monster truck. I will definitely be attending the next one.

Mr. Kotter
06-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Pretty damn cool if you ask me. My girlfriend was hoping for a fire to break out but no such luck. A couple of the cars did get hit up on the cement baricades. I didn't think cars could run up on another car like a monster truck. I will definitely be attending the next one.

You are now officially a "redneck"....welcome.

Heh. :)

Rain Man
06-26-2005, 12:22 AM
I only watch demolition derbies to see the wrecks.

Nelson Muntz
06-26-2005, 01:13 AM
I only watch demolition derbies to see the wrecks.

I only watch them in my rear view mirror.

Phobia
06-26-2005, 08:20 AM
The pits are more fun than the stands and driving is more fun than anything. One day I'll enter one. I don't think you can have any more fun than that for under $1000.

Count Zarth
06-26-2005, 09:09 AM
If I ever want to kill myself, I'm going out bigtime. Demolition Derby, free-way style during rush hour. Probably bring along a bazooka, too.

http://www.alyon.org/generale/theatre/cinema/affiches_cinema/f/f-fle/falling_down.jpg

Iowanian
06-26-2005, 09:51 AM
I drove my first Demo Derby at 16. Several of my uncles and Friends did....and the first one I didn't do well, at all. There is definitely a "skill" to driving, managing your damage to your car, while doing damage to the bad guys.

I did them for about 10 years, and drove my last one in 1996, and was retired by of all things....a car wreck.

The BEST one, hands down, was a local, in which 8-9 of us made the Final...Brothers, cousins, uncles. People Bemoaned that the Iowanians would just gang up on everyone and win all the money.

This grudge match for braggin rights was of such fury, that none of us won 1st......but there was Fire, Smoke, and some of the most destroyed cars youv'e seen at one. It was Awesome fun.

Putting a car together, well enough to be able to "Play" more than a minute is ALOT of work, and takes at least 30-40 hrs per car.

SnapDogg
06-26-2005, 02:18 PM
30-40 hrs per car..............& 8-10 cases of beer.............then there's "race day"!

PastorMikH
06-26-2005, 02:26 PM
I fear that the cars nowadays couldn't survive long. And it's getting harder and harder to find those '60s station wagons. The demolition derbies may go by the wayside due to a lack of decent rides.

"OOOOH, the Geo just got plastered by the Hyundai":shake: