PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was messed up...

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Yesterday set up perfectly. Had BBQ on that was going to be ready about 9pm. It was 98 degrees and sunny. Perfect day...until about 8.

We were outside messing with the garden and moving the dog kennel when I noticed it getting black to the south. Told my wife to hurry because it was gonna rain, so we started picking up the pace on our work. It started raining about 5 minutes later -- gentle and steady, no big deal.

Then the lightning. Struck a tree about a half-block away. And just like that all hell broke loose. I had a canopy over my smoker so I had to run over there and make sure it didn't blow away.

I hung on for 35 minutes while the wind blew and it poured. At one point, I could see a curtain of water down the street coming towards me. In that split second, everything seemed to move in slow motion. As the curtain moved closer, trees on either side of the street started to bow towards me. As the curtain hit my neighbors house, a limb came off of one of the trees and now it was coming towards me too. At that point I realized I was witnessing a wind gust strong enough that it was pushing everything ahead of it -- almost like an ocean wave of air.

Damn, when it hit it felt like I had jumped off a diving board and belly-flopped into a pool. It hurt. The gust was strong enough that it got underneath the canopy and lifted it -- and ME -- off the ground about a foot. I weigh over 200 pounds.

The wind quit a few minutes later. All in all, we got over 2 inches of rain in less than an hour. We also got some hail. But that wall of rain coming at me at 50+ mph is something I won't forget. Pretty freaky and kinda cool.

the Talking Can
06-26-2005, 06:53 AM
yeah, but did you save the barbeque?

Dartgod
06-26-2005, 07:14 AM
yeah, but did you save the barbeque?
I was gonna say, he left out the most important detail.

HemiEd
06-26-2005, 07:30 AM
Lifted you up? That is eery, might be a calling or something like in the movies?

mikey23545
06-26-2005, 07:46 AM
htismaque rapture?

Braincase
06-26-2005, 08:04 AM
http://www.romwell.com/books/music/Bette/bmimg/bette4.jpg

It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine, that's your way,
you always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strength.
A beautiful face without a name -- for so long,
a beautiful smile to hide the pain.

CHORUS:
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and ev'rything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it,
I would be nothing with out you.

(CHORUS)

Fly, fly, fly away,
you let me fly so high.
Oh, fly, fly,
so high against the sky, so high I almost touch the sky.
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you,
the wind beneath my wings.

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Hell yes, I saved the BBQ. Sorry for not including that -- I figured it was a given. :D

Skip Towne
06-26-2005, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't want to live in Ioway. Too dangerous.

Bwana
06-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Hell yes, I saved the BBQ. Sorry for not including that -- I figured it was a given. :D

Nice! :thumb: Way to take one for the team.

Phobia
06-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Over 200? Wow - what a lardass.

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Over 200? Wow - what a lardass.

Hey, there super tough guy. You've met me.

By the same token, I've met YOU.

Phobia
06-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Heh heh - was it last fall you met me or prior to that? Cuz I wasn't fat last year. Right now: fat. Last year: no.

Count Alex's Losses
06-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah, Raiderhader would have been blown away probably. FATTIES SURVIVE!

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Heh heh - was it last fall you met me or prior to that? Cuz I wasn't fat last year. Right now: fat. Last year: no.

Yeah, it was last fall. And no, you weren't fat. Of course, I'm not "fat" either, just "soft". :)

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Yeah, Raiderhader would have been blown away probably. FATTIES SURVIVE!

That's pretty funny. Steve Deace, afternoons KXNO, always signs off "Remember, fat people are harder to kidnap."

Bowser
06-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Right now: fat. Last year: no.

I see the Atkins thing worked as well for you as it did for me. :shake:

chiefs4me
06-26-2005, 10:32 AM
glad everything is okay...now go send the rain my way.

chiefs4me
06-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah, it was last fall. And no, you weren't fat. Of course, I'm not "fat" either, just "soft". :)

Post your picture and let me decide.:p

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Post your picture and let me decide.:p

Here you go.

Bowser
06-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Here you go.

Shit. By the looks of it, Phil's BBQ doesn't have anything on yours.......

Ultra Peanut
06-26-2005, 11:04 AM
At one point, I could see a curtain of water down the street coming towards me. In that split second, everything seemed to move in slow motion. As the curtain moved closer, trees on either side of the street started to bow towards me. As the curtain hit my neighbors house, a limb came off of one of the trees and now it was coming towards me too. At that point I realized I was witnessing a wind gust strong enough that it was pushing everything ahead of it -- almost like an ocean wave of air.

Damn, when it hit it felt like I had jumped off a diving board and belly-flopped into a pool. It hurt. The gust was strong enough that it got underneath the canopy and lifted it -- and ME -- off the ground about a foot. I weigh over 200 pounds.

The wind quit a few minutes later. All in all, we got over 2 inches of rain in less than an hour. We also got some hail. But that wall of rain coming at me at 50+ mph is something I won't forget. Pretty freaky and kinda cool.Awesome.

mlyonsd
06-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Here you go.

Thanks for that. :Lin:

chiefs4me
06-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Here you go.

:banghead:.......on a sunday morning.....you are bad, very bad.

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Shit. By the looks of it, Phil's BBQ doesn't have anything on yours.......

Never trust a skinny cook. :p

Phobia
06-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I see the Atkins thing worked as well for you as it did for me. :shake:

Didn't have anything to do with Atkins. It had to do with my control and quitting tobacco. It's all me. I'll get back there, though.

Bowser
06-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Didn't have anything to do with Atkins. It had to do with my control and quitting tobacco. It's all me. I'll get back there, though.

I thought I remembered you saying something about trying to stay with Atkins. It's a great way to lose some pounds, but a terrible way to eat permanately. I lost almost 50 lbs on it, but put almost all of it back on in about half the time it took to lose it. My goal is not to be the same doughboy I was at the last CP party.

Congrats on kicking the chew. Nicotine is one bitch of an addictive drug.

Phobia
06-26-2005, 12:46 PM
I think the point is if you have the control to stick to a low carb plan, you can certainly figure out a way to modify your eating habits for life. When I'm on atkins, I eat much less as well. There's no reason to consume half a large pizza (or the entire thing).

Bowser
06-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I think the point is if you have the control to stick to a low carb plan, you can certainly figure out a way to modify your eating habits for life. When I'm on atkins, I eat much less as well. There's no reason to consume half a large pizza (or the entire thing).

You're right. I got in that mindest of "Well, I can eat a little of this, and a little of that...." because I lost so much weight, and didn't think it would pile up on me so fast. Once you re-introduce carbs when you have been going low-carb for so long, the body wants it more and more.

I admit it....I'm weak when it comes to carbs...........

go bowe
06-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, it was last fall. And no, you weren't fat. Of course, I'm not "fat" either, just "soft". :)soft... yeah, that's the ticket...

i'm just a big ol' soft cuddly bear... :D :D :D

go bowe
06-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Here you go.damn, that ass is as big as mine! :eek: :eek: :eek:

mlyonsd
06-26-2005, 01:34 PM
You're right. I got in that mindest of "Well, I can eat a little of this, and a little of that...." because I lost so much weight, and didn't think it would pile up on me so fast. Once you re-introduce carbs when you have been going low-carb for so long, the body wants it more and more.

I admit it....I'm weak when it comes to carbs...........

Mmmmm. Pizza.

go bowe
06-26-2005, 01:35 PM
I think the point is if you have the control to stick to a low carb plan, you can certainly figure out a way to modify your eating habits for life. When I'm on atkins, I eat much less as well. There's no reason to consume half a large pizza (or the entire thing).well, that depends on what kind of pizza it is... :p :p :p

Bowser
06-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Mmmmm. Pizza.

Bastard.

:)

keg in kc
06-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Wild story Porker.

Talking about the weight thing, true story: I made some basic changes to what I eat this month, didn't do any fad shit like Atkins or anything, no "diet" just basic sensible stuff, without changing my exercise plan at all, and I dropped 10 pounds. That puts me down a total of 40 since the divorce, and I'm 20-30 from my goal now. I believe I'll be there by year's end. I don't know what I'll be able to call myself when I get there, because "fat" will be out. I guess instead of "fat and ugly" I'll simply be "ugly".

Ultra Peanut
06-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Wild story Porker.Ba-Zing!

Rain Man
06-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Cool story, htismaqe. Did you see any cows floating around in there?

onescrewleftuntwisted
06-26-2005, 03:50 PM
back to the storm story, which is what intrested me in this not atkins,:cuss:
you witnessed a micro-burst one of the most awesome experiences you can see in a storm. tornados are over rated most damage done in stoms will be caused by micro-bursts that can reach speeds up to 100mph. rip trees out of the ground by their roots.