PDA

View Full Version : corrupted CF card

wolfpack0735
06-26-2005, 07:46 AM
Any one have any idea how I can correct my Compact Flash card?
While taking pictues at chiefs mini camp (366 so far) my camera stopped and flashing error code. Come to find out stand for, problem with the CF card. When I got back home I tried puting it in the card reader and it shuts off and blinks once every 10-15 secs. I've tried most of what I can find for data recovery, photo rescue and image recovery with nothing. Tried formating the card with these programs and nothing.

Wanting to know if it's totally lost before crushing it.

AeroSquid
06-26-2005, 09:52 AM
if windows can see the card when you put it in your reader, try running chkdsk on it. (or chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f) If nothing else works mouy card may be borked. Did the batteries die mid pic? I have seen flash memory get corrupted from power issues like that before.

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't believe you can run chkdsk on a CF card because of the file system.

I'm guessing it's completely hosed.

AeroSquid
06-26-2005, 12:32 PM
sure you can... it's FAT 16.

htismaqe
06-26-2005, 01:01 PM
sure you can... it's FAT 16.

OK. I used some kind of media card once that was different, like CDFS or something...

AeroSquid
06-26-2005, 05:21 PM
I guess it would depend on the cameras manufacturer. I'm used to canon/nikon cf cards.

wolfpack0735
07-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks.... I tried as was suggested, but nothing. I've found a couple of programs and tried them. Sent it off for someone with more experience with it. Thanks for the help as well.

Kerberos
07-07-2005, 09:58 PM
If it shows up as a drive like a zip or floppy then you can try killdisk. www.killdisk.com

download the bootable CD iso file and burn it to a CD and then boot your computer from it. use the kill active disk command #3.

find the flash card on it and write zeros 00000 to it and then the camera should be able to reformat it or I would think you could do it with windows?

At least it would be worth a try.