PDA

View Full Version : Boston Herald: Collins in it for the long haul

Wile_E_Coyote
06-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Collins in it for the long haul
By Mike Reiss
Sunday, June 26, 2005

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=91603

In a league with such high coaching turnover, it's remarkable that Walpole's Todd Collins, now 32, is entering his eighth season as a backup quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs.

He's played for Marty Schottenheimer (1998), Gunther Cunningham (1999-2000) and Dick Vermeil (2001-present), and realizes it's rare to have stuck around for so long because coaches often like to bring in their own players.

Another rare part of Collins' longevity in Kansas City is this nugget: The Chiefs have only called on a backup to start once over that time - in 2000 when Warren Moon replaced Elvis Grbac.

``That's one challenge of the position - you put in all
the work for the game and you're not getting tested on it,'' Collins said.

Collins, who has struck up a friendship with former Patriots [stats (http://146.145.120.3/default.asp?c=bostonherald&page=nfl/teams/TEAMSTAT077.htm), news (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=recent&keyword=Patriots)] backup Damon Huard, the Chiefs' No. 3 quarterback, is entering the last year of his contract. He's scheduled to make a base salary of $1 million in his 11th NFL season (the first three spent with the Bills).

Collins makes his permanent residence in North Quincy and he and his wife, Andrea, welcomed their first child, Max, on Feb. 11.

``It's been great,'' Collins said of fatherhood. ``The whole timing of the birth worked out great for me, allowing me to spend a lot of time with him.''

Skip Towne
06-26-2005, 07:31 AM
That dude has the best job in the world. He can retire at 35 having never done squat.

Bowser
06-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Max Collins? Sounds like he could be the next Tony Little.

That dude has the best job in the world. He can retire at 35 having never done squat.

No shit.

Sure-Oz
06-26-2005, 12:27 PM
hopefully we will never need him

Rain Man
06-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Skip is right. Todd has the best job in the world.

I wonder where he ranks in seasons served as a Chiefs quarterback? I'm sure that Dawson and Mike Livingston are ahead of him, but is anybody else? He may be the third-longest-tenured quarterback in Chiefs history.

Bowser
06-26-2005, 01:44 PM

I wonder where he ranks in seasons served as a Chiefs quarterback? I'm sure that Dawson and Mike Livingston are ahead of him, but is anybody else? He may be the third-longest-tenured quarterback in Chiefs history.

Remind me to never get into a Trivial Pursuit showdown with you.........

KCChiefsFan88
06-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Damn The Boston Herald must be desperate for stories

stevieray
06-26-2005, 03:22 PM

Pretty smart guy to put himself in that position.

Zebedee DuBois
06-26-2005, 04:02 PM
There are a lot of people who have entered their professions with dreams of being the big star....only to come to the realization that they are never going to shine... whether this boss or that situation or their own abilities held them back....they keep on plugging away.

Of course, he does it for a lot more money.

Otter
06-26-2005, 04:59 PM

I gotta disagree.

Being part of a team and sitting on the bench it a shitty feeling. I'd rather have a career ending injury and know I was good enough to start than to just have been an insignificant backup my whole career.

I'd quote Mel Gibson here but...nah.

Bowser
06-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I gotta disagree.

Being part of a team and sitting on the bench it a shitty feeling. I'd rather have a career ending injury and know I was good enough to start than to just have been an insignificant backup my whole career.

I'd quote Mel Gibson here but...nah.

Tell that to his wife and accountant.

ChiefsCountry
06-26-2005, 05:08 PM
He can also say that he was a backup for Elvis. :)

Wile_E_Coyote
06-26-2005, 05:26 PM
total salary '00-'04
$4,614,866

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

not a bad living

Claynus
06-26-2005, 05:34 PM
If reincarnation is not a myth, I want to come back as a backup QB.

cdcox
06-26-2005, 05:41 PM

You forgot Bill Kenney with 9 seasons as a Chief. That would put Collins at 4th.

Otter
06-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Tell that to his wife and accountant.

Very true.

Each team has a 52 man roster and there are what, 32 teams in the NFL. I just think it would suck to make it to that level and spend your whole career being a backup.

All depends on what your priorities are; when youíre an old man looking back at life would you be happy with his role?

I see what you mean but it would suck to just cruise through such an opportunity with nothing to show for it but a comfortable lifestyle.

Maybe Iím just un-realistic though, certainly a possibility.

milkman
06-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Very true.

Each team has a 52 man roster and there are what, 32 teams in the NFL. I just think it would suck to make it to that level and spend your whole career being a backup.

All depends on what your priorities are; when youíre an old man looking back at life would you be happy with his role?

I see what you mean but it would suck to just cruise through such an opportunity with nothing to show for it but a comfortable lifestyle.

I tend to agree with you.

You would think as a professional athlete he would have a competitive desire to take a shot at being a starter.
But he seems to be content in his role, which would make me wonder, if he had to come in for any extended time in case of injury to Green, how would he perform, epecially in situations where he has to make a play to get the Chiefs a win?

Bowser
06-26-2005, 06:33 PM
I tend to agree with you.

You would think as a professional athlete he would have a competitive desire to take a shot at being a starter.
But he seems to be content in his role, which would make me wonder, if he had to come in for any extended time in case of injury to Green, how would he perform, epecially in situations where he has to make a play to get the Chiefs a win?

On the flip side, backup QB's that stay in one place for an extended period are a bit of a rarity, so you would think that the coaching staff sees something in the way Collins goes about his business that would make them think that him being on the roster year after year is a good thing.

milkman
06-26-2005, 06:39 PM
On the flip side, backup QB's that stay in one place for an extended period are a bit of a rarity, so you would think that the coaching staff sees something in the way Collins goes about his business that would make them think that him being on the roster year after year is a good thing.

Yeah, I get that.

But still, one has to wonder, he's in his 3rd(?) contract as a Chief.

After the first one expired, as a competitor, I would have signed somewhere that had QB questions in an attempt to earn a starting job in the NFL.

There is simply no way I would be satisfied with a B/U role without at least a couple shots at earning a starting role somewhere.

Bowser
06-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I get that.

After the first one expired, as a competitor, I would have signed somewhere that had QB questions in an attempt to earn a starting job in the NFL.

There is simply no way I would be satisfied with a B/U role without at least a couple shots at earning a starting role somewhere.

I understand what you're saying. I hope we never find out if he has that "fire", because that would mean Green has gone down for the count.

Phobia
06-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Very true.

Yeah, I'd probably cry myself 36 holes of golf every day the rest of my life, too.

There's a billion dudes who would give their left nut to be in Collins' shoes. I refuse to sit on any recreational bench, but when I'm getting a truckload of cash to sit on a bench - sign me up.

whoman69
06-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Collins was a starter for Buffalo before he came here. When his last contract was up, the Chiefs gave him the opportunity to look for a starting job. He had no offers, even from Chicago, who were desperate at the time.

Rausch
06-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I get that.

Yes you would.

He can make millions a year being part of an NFL team, providing a nice living for his family, and he'll never have to suffer the inuries that most NFL QB's have. He'll be able to walk and play with his kid without being in constant pain.

He's a solid back up. I wouldn't break the bank to keep the guy but I'd keep signing him as long as he wants to stay here...

milkman
06-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Yes you would.

He can make millions a year being part of an NFL team, providing a nice living for his family, and he'll never have to suffer the inuries that most NFL QB's have. He'll be able to walk and play with his kid without being in constant pain.

He's a solid back up. I wouldn't break the bank to keep the guy but I'd keep signing him as long as he wants to stay here...

If, after my playing days were over, I looked back on my career and found that I didn't make every possible effort earn a starting job somewhere, then, No I wouldn't.

But if no one wanted to give me that opportunity, then, yes I would.

Skip Towne
06-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Yes you would.

Yep, the best job in the world. Hell, he's a celebrity, he's a Kansas City Chief. That carries a lot of weight with the young chicks down on the Plaza. So he gets to drill the young hotties while making a cool mil per year. For doing nearly nothing. Sign me up!!

Otter
06-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I'd probably cry myself 36 holes of golf every day the rest of my life, too.

There's a billion dudes who would give their left nut to be in Collins' shoes. I refuse to sit on any recreational bench, but when I'm getting a truckload of cash to sit on a bench - sign me up.

I see exactly where youíre coming from as far as financial stability and lifestyle. Thatís a very important part of getting through life. Anyone who believes that money doesnít buy happiness never had to go without money IMHO.

Itís just that there are guys who spend their whole life trying to make it to the NFL (see practice squads, CLF, NFL Europe) but heís there and heís a backup and has been for years.

I like to think I would have been packing my bags the moment Gunther started Moon over him and the organization was OK with that. That was insulting.

Like I said, I have no idea what goes through his head and have absolutely no insight into his situation so I realize Iím talking out my ass but thatís one hell of an opportunity to be riding the pine.

Maybe if I had kids and a wife my outlook would be different but from my point of view I would want some starting time when I had to evaluate my career when it ended.

But it depends what your priorities are, either way, more power to him. I envy his position and the money he makes but I donít envy what he has to look back on when his career ends.