PDA

View Full Version : Make sure this gets seen!

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
06-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Posted this in the geeks section, but want to make sure this gets seen by someone that can help me for sure!!!

My wife installed this piece of shit Kodak easyshare software on my computer, I have uninstalled it, reinstalled, unistalled it trying to get the piece of shit out of here. Every time I restart my computer it shows back up in my program tray, even though I have uninstalled it. It does not show up on my control panel to remove the program. Also I get an error message at start up about some friggin backweb.dll not being a valid windows image, and another error with code 193. HELP how do I get this piece of shit off my computer!

I am running Windows XP with all the current updates and all.

phisherman
06-26-2005, 09:15 PM
go to Start, Run, type in Regedit and then enter

navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run

Post the different entries in here, if you feel uncomfortable deleting on your own...

if you see an entry that you think may coincide w/ the apps you're having trouble w/ on startup, just delete them...99% of the time, if you delete something here, it won't cause any problems.

bp

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
06-26-2005, 09:23 PM
go to Start, Run, type in Regedit and then enter

navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run

Post the different entries in here, if you feel uncomfortable deleting on your own...

if you see an entry that you think may coincide w/ the apps you're having trouble w/ on startup, just delete them...99% of the time, if you delete something here, it won't cause any problems.

bp

They only thing I see under "run" is
optional components with sub folders called IMAIL, MAPI, and MSFS.

I do see something about shared DLLs and I can find some Kodak associated files in there, what happens if I delete those?

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
06-26-2005, 09:25 PM
What is the command under the run feature to access your start up programs, the programs that start automatically upon system start up?

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Easiest way...................System Restore.

Always first option IMO.

DaWolf
06-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Kodak has this clear utility that is supposed to remove all traces of the software from your computer, but since I don't use the software I've never tried it. If all else fails you might want to try it. :shrug:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/downloads/private/dln00007ClearUtility.jhtml

ExtremeChief
06-27-2005, 04:41 AM
What is the command under the run feature to access your start up programs, the programs that start automatically upon system start up?

msconfig

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
06-27-2005, 06:19 AM
Easiest way...................System Restore.

Always first option IMO.

I tried that already, the program has hidden itself so that the computer does not recognize any changes made.

Cochise
06-27-2005, 06:53 AM
thx crosspost~

BigRedChief
06-27-2005, 07:07 AM
We use the Kodak Easyshare system here at work. I've installed it on about 60 pc's in 5 different locations without an issue. Been running about 4 months now and not a single issue.

htismaqe
06-27-2005, 07:20 AM
This thread has gotten 9 replies. You post in the Tech Forum, where this actually belongs, has gotten 6.

It further shows that the idea threads go there to die is a MYTH.

This will now be moved.

"Bob" Dobbs
06-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Kodak has this clear utility that is supposed to remove all traces of the software from your computer, but since I don't use the software I've never tried it. If all else fails you might want to try it. :shrug:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/downloads/private/dln00007ClearUtility.jhtml

my dad had similar issues with easyshare; the clear utility DID seem to work well for him. it IS a piece of crap, although i got it to work OK on this computer by doing a custom install and NOT installing any of the "sharing" part of the program.

phisherman
06-28-2005, 02:41 PM
I didn't mean the subfolders under run in the registry...just left click on the run folder, in the right hand pane on the regedit window you should see, columns for name, type and data....

this is the main system startup location for windows..
if you type msconfig, most of the stuff comes from this key...what you're referring to in your post below are the actual sub folders of this run key...avoid those like the plague

basically, i'm saying don't click on the plus next to the run key, just left click once on it, and look in the right hand pane

brian

They only thing I see under "run" is
optional components with sub folders called IMAIL, MAPI, and MSFS.

I do see something about shared DLLs and I can find some Kodak associated files in there, what happens if I delete those?