PDA

View Full Version : NFT: DirecTV Question For Skip, Others

The Rick
06-27-2005, 10:11 AM
I moved into my house in November. I took advantage of DirecTV's moving service where they install a new dish for you at your new home free of charge.

Lately, I've been getting bad reception in the middle of the day, even on a clear day. I went into the settings of my DirecTiVo and got to the signal strength section. I went through all of the transponders and on nearly all of them, the strength of signal was in the 60s. It seemed that every fourth one (4, 8, 16, etc.) would be good (like in the 80s), but other than that, it was pretty consistently in the 60s.

I don't seem to recall having problems before now with reception. Is it possible that my dish moved slightly? Could I call DirecTV and have someone come back out to fix it? Would they charge me? On the other hand, is it something I could do myself?

Skip Towne
06-27-2005, 10:15 AM
The first thing to do is check to see if there are any trees that could be partially blocking the signal.

TRR
06-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Trees are the main thing. I've had some grow pretty rapidly in my neighbors yard, and it takes awhile for the channel to load up. I always get the "searcing for satelite signal" message.

If no trees are blocking it, then I would call DTV, and have them come back and tinker with it.

Skip Towne
06-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Trees are the main thing. I've had some grow pretty rapidly in my neighbors yard, and it takes awhile for the channel to load up. I always get the "searcing for satelite signal" message.

If no trees are blocking it, then I would call DTV, and have them come back and tinker with it.
They will charge him $70 for a service call if he does. That is why I am approaching it from this direction.

Bob Dole
06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
While we're on the subject of DTV.

Does anyone else have a problem with interruptions of service on Music Choice channels?

Bob Dole frequently leaves it on a music channel for extended periods of time (6 hours or longer), and after an unspecified amount of time, Bob Dole begins getting periodic short periods of silence that seem to get longer and more time passes. If Bob Dole changes the channel to something else for a few minutes and then back, the interruptions vanish.

It's almost like DirecTV is intentionally interrupting the broadcast to defeat extended recording or something.

Nzoner
06-27-2005, 10:36 AM
They will charge him $70 for a service call if he does. That is why I am approaching it from this direction.

Damn,that $50 a year I pay for DTV insurance is well worth it then.

Skip Towne
06-27-2005, 10:36 AM
While we're on the subject of DTV.

Does anyone else have a problem with interruptions of service on Music Choice channels?

Bob Dole frequently leaves it on a music channel for extended periods of time (6 hours or longer), and after an unspecified amount of time, Bob Dole begins getting periodic short periods of silence that seem to get longer and more time passes. If Bob Dole changes the channel to something else for a few minutes and then back, the interruptions vanish.

It's almost like DirecTV is intentionally interrupting the broadcast to defeat extended recording or something.
I've never heard of that but I suspect you are right about the countermeasures D* is taking.

Bob Dole
06-27-2005, 11:23 AM
I've never heard of that but I suspect you are right about the countermeasures D* is taking.

Do you think they would admit to it if they were doing it intentionally?

Bob Dole would imagine that there aren't a lot of people who legitimately leave it on the same music channel for 48+ hours, so it seems reasonable to assume that anyone who does is capturing the stream, but the chihuahuas get pissy if Bob Dole doesn't leave them with some tunes.

Skip Towne
06-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Do you think they would admit to it if they were doing it intentionally?

Bob Dole would imagine that there aren't a lot of people who legitimately leave it on the same music channel for 48+ hours, so it seems reasonable to assume that anyone who does is capturing the stream, but the chihuahuas get pissy if Bob Dole doesn't leave them with some tunes.
I think they would admit it since they acknowledged they sent out ECM's to screw up the pirates. Which music channel do you use the most? Does it do that on other music channels?

TRR
06-27-2005, 11:45 AM

Not in my area they don't. When my Direct TV system was moved, I had the same trouble with it for weeks. I called and complained, and they came back out and adjusted it...

Skip Towne
06-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Not in my area they don't. When my Direct TV system was moved, I had the same trouble with it for weeks. I called and complained, and they came back out and adjusted it...
That was probably covered under your 90 day warranty. D* gives that with every new install. Call them and ask them what they will charge to come fix a malfunctioning system that is out of warranty.

Bob Dole
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
I think they would admit it since they acknowledged they sent out ECM's to screw up the pirates. Which music channel do you use the most? Does it do that on other music channels?

The dogs don't really listen to anything but 818.

TRR
06-27-2005, 11:54 AM
That was probably covered under your 90 day warranty. D* gives that with every new install. Call them and ask them what they will charge to come fix a malfunctioning system that is out of warranty.

Uh, I had my dish for 3 years until I moved.

Bought the dish and had them mount it. There it stayed for 3 years. Several months ago, I moved and had them reinstall it at my new home. I couldn't get a solid signal for two weeks. I called and complained, and they came out and fixed it...for free.

The Rick
06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
It may be due to trees. I'll have to check and see. That makes sense though.

If it is trees, am I screwed? The dish right now is near the bottom of the roof. Shouldn't they have thought of trees being in the way when they installed it?

Skip Towne
06-27-2005, 12:58 PM

If it is trees, am I screwed? The dish right now is near the bottom of the roof. Shouldn't they have thought of trees being in the way when they installed it?
Yes they should have thought of it at installation. That is why I started there. Even though your 90 day warranty has expired, you can't be faulted for just now noticing it. The trees have put on leaves since the installation. I'd try to get ahold of whoever installed it. If you don't know who it was, call Directv. They should know.

Bob Dole
06-29-2005, 04:45 AM

It does it on 817, as well.

Skip Towne
06-29-2005, 06:22 AM
It does it on 817, as well.
Does it do it on both of your receivers? About how long do the silent periods last?

Skip Towne
06-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Here's an idea for you Bobbykat. Go into the program guide and select another channel later in the day. Then select 818 for the next time period.

Bwana
06-30-2005, 07:23 AM

Bob Dole
06-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Here's an idea for you Bobbykat. Go into the program guide and select another channel later in the day. Then select 818 for the next time period.

It's happening on the Tivo receiver (the one with the home theater attached) and both tuners are connected.

The periods of silence start out about 1 second and gradually increase to 5 seconds or so. Bob Dole just wondered if anyone else experienced it, but it's only a minor annoyance.

BCD
06-30-2005, 08:09 AM
It's happening on the Tivo receiver (the one with the home theater attached) and both tuners are connected.

The periods of silence start out about 1 second and gradually increase to 5 seconds or so. Bob Dole just wondered if anyone else experienced it, but it's only a minor annoyance.Very interesting. I'll check to see if mine does this...

Skip Towne
06-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Very interesting. I'll check to see if mine does this...
Let us know if yours does this too. I haven't found anyone else that has noticed it.