PDA

View Full Version : Zip Software Suggestions

jspchief
06-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Anyone have suggestions for zip software/freeware? I used Winzip in the past, but didn't care for it that much.

I recently used a WinRAR demo, and I really liked it, but don't want to pony up the $29 to purchase it.

Just looking for other suggestions for zipping and unzipping files.

htismaqe
06-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Depends on what types of archives you're handling and what OS you're using.

If it's .zip and .z with WindowsXP, just use the built-in mgmt.

Otherwise, I use WinRAR.

bgguitarman
06-27-2005, 11:19 AM
I use IZarc. Try it out.

www.izsoft.dir.bg/

Saulbadguy
06-27-2005, 12:06 PM
WinRAR. Crack it.

Pants
06-27-2005, 12:33 PM
WinRAR. Crack it.

Ehh, I'm too lazy. The pop-up window isn't THAT annoying.

jAZ
06-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Does anyone know of such a program that can be loaded to my web-host site? I keep having to unzip files before I upload them to my website (which then takes 10x as long to upload).

I don't have telnet access to the server, but I would expect that there's some webapp that might exist that I could up load and then access by browser.

Any ideas?

Pants
06-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Any ideas?

Firefox.

jAZ
06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Firefox.
What am I missing here?

Pants
06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
What am I missing here?

A long running CP joke. Guess you don't come to the Tech Help section very often.

jAZ
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM
A long running CP joke. Guess you don't come to the Tech Help section very often.
Ahhh!

I come around enough to "get it" knowing it's a joke. Obviously not enough to notice it as a joke though.

;)

Iowanian
06-27-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm wondering about a file compression shareware for video clips?

I want to get vid clips to the point I can email them in Gmail. Also, my cam exports files in quicktime.....Any easy way to convert them to a more universal format? Would any of those (mpeg etc) be smaller file sizes anyway?

dirk digler
06-27-2005, 03:33 PM
FilZip

http://www.filzip.com/en/index.html

It is free and it has Full support (add and extract) support for ZIP (including Quake III's PK3),BH (BlakHole), CAB (Microsoft Cabinet),JAR (JavaARchive), LHA (LZH), TAR and GZIP(TAR.GZ)
Extracting support for several other archive formats: ACE, ARC, ARJ, RAR, ZOO
Support for internet encoded files .UUE and .XXE

dirk digler
06-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know of such a program that can be loaded to my web-host site? I keep having to unzip files before I upload them to my website (which then takes 10x as long to upload).

I don't have telnet access to the server, but I would expect that there's some webapp that might exist that I could up load and then access by browser.

Any ideas?

You probably don't have telnet but you should have FTP access. Any FTP program will do it. There are several free ones out there to choose from.

jAZ
06-27-2005, 05:35 PM
You probably don't have telnet but you should have FTP access. Any FTP program will do it. There are several free ones out there to choose from.
Really?

It will unzip it on the remote server?

AeroSquid
06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
7zip is the best free one.

http://www.7-zip.org/

dirk digler
06-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Really?

It will unzip it on the remote server?

I use SmartFTP. It is basically drag and drop. You can open up your zip file and drag the contents to your FTP/web site.

Ari Chi3fs
06-27-2005, 10:37 PM
what was it about a zipper?

http://homepage.mac.com/lexl/iblog/C744401703/E1305571939/Media/franksnbeans.jpg

htismaqe
06-28-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm wondering about a file compression shareware for video clips?

I want to get vid clips to the point I can email them in Gmail. Also, my cam exports files in quicktime.....Any easy way to convert them to a more universal format? Would any of those (mpeg etc) be smaller file sizes anyway?

My camera also does QT format. I'd have to go home and check, but I'm pretty sure I'm using this:

http://www.radgametools.com/smkdown.htm

Kerberos
07-05-2005, 09:12 AM
PowerArchiver

www.powerarchiver.com

It's FREE and it has some pretty kewl options to zip and backup data.

Been using PowerArchiver for 5 years now and it does real well.

:)

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 09:20 AM

Any ideas?
IF you can run php AND IF they compiled in zip support you could write a php script that would do the dirty work remotely for you.