PDA

View Full Version : And you thought the ukulele wasn't cool...

TRR
06-29-2005, 07:10 PM
This is truly amazing...

http://www.2dorks.com/video/ukulele.wmv

milkman
06-29-2005, 07:20 PM
That was pretty damn impressive for a ukele.

TRR
06-29-2005, 07:21 PM
That was pretty damn impressive for a ukele.

Yeah it's unbelievable. Puts Tiny Tim to shame. I was amazed.

milkman
06-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Yeah it's unbelievable. Puts Tiny Tim to shame. I was amazed.

Tiny Tim was just a joke that people laughed at.

TRR
06-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Tiny Tim was just a joke that people laughed at.

I know...He's from Iowa.

milkman
06-29-2005, 07:27 PM
I know...He's from Iowa.

That explains it! :)

andoman
06-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Good song choice too! Rivals old slow hand himself.

TRR
06-29-2005, 07:41 PM
That explains it! :)

lol...

Zebedee DuBois
06-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Excellent.

What a musician!

Thanks for posting it.

TRR
06-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Excellent.

What a musician!

Thanks for posting it.

No problem. I was shocked as well.

mikey23545
06-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Un-****ing-believable...

kcfanintitanhell
06-29-2005, 09:21 PM
I just wonder how much that particular ukelele cost. The way he was beating on it would have turned most into matchsticks.
BTW-It was marvelous.

splatbass
06-29-2005, 10:47 PM
There are a lot of guys that play ukulele like that here in Hawaii. Jake Shimabukuro puts that guy to shame. It may be comsidered a joke instrument on the mainland, but here it is taken very seriously. A friend of mine builds beautiful ukuleles that she sells for $1500. And that isn't particularly expensive for a pro ukulele. Most of the good ukulele builders have a 5 year waiting list to buy one.

Phobia
06-29-2005, 11:17 PM
That dude can really play.

I'm impressed.

Taco John
06-30-2005, 12:09 AM
That was incredible... Now I have to learn that song.

go bowe
06-30-2005, 12:12 AM
me too...

Dave Lane
06-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Wow nice job from a little nothing!

Dave

David.
06-30-2005, 12:43 AM
that's pretty badass

ENDelt260
06-30-2005, 03:35 AM
I'm as impressed by this as I would be by watching someone play the Orange Blossom Special on a viola.

Taco John
06-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Innagodadavida on the Mandolin...

RedDread
06-30-2005, 04:38 AM
Sign his ass to a recording contract quickly...

mcan
06-30-2005, 05:05 AM
It looks bigger than a uke... It might be a tenor guitar, or some other hybrid. I'm pretty sure it's tuned different than a normal uke.

This player is fantastic. He's very clean.

As for rivaling "old slowhand"... Lots of people actually are unaware that Clapton plays on "While My Guitar..." The story that I heard was that George wrote the song and brought it to the rest of the guys and they didn't want it on the album. My guess is that they thought the progression was a bit simple and it didn't mesh with the rest of what they were recording for what eventually was "The White Album." Harrison then called up Clapton and the two of them recorded the track. Once it was remixed Clapton was scared that it sounded too much like an "Eric Clapton" song and that millions of beatles fans would hate him for ruining the "pure" Beatles sound. So, George put that "warble" effect on Clapton's lead guitar in post. The end result sounded weird enough, that the rest of the Beatles wanted it back on the album and (at the behest of Eric) nobody really made a big deal about him playing on the track... It was kinda swept under the rug.

Another cool tidbit about this song was the inspiration for it's lyrics were from Harrison randomly opening a book and pointing at a random page with his eyes closed. The words on the page were, "...gently weeps." He then sat down and wrote the song.

dollar1
06-30-2005, 09:39 AM
I thought it was pretty cool.

Also, I thought he was going to break that little thing :)

~Done for the Day, Under Rock~

splatbass
06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
It looks bigger than a uke... It might be a tenor guitar, or some other hybrid. I'm pretty sure it's tuned different than a normal uke.

There are 4 different sizes of ukulele. Standard, concert, soprano and baritone. That looks like a soprano uke. The soprano and baritone are each tuned different that a standard and concert uke. I'm not sure of the tuning of soprano, but a baritone is tuned D G B E, the same as the 4 high strings on a guitar.

mcan
06-30-2005, 01:58 PM
There are 4 different sizes of ukulele. Standard, concert, soprano and baritone. That looks like a soprano uke.

Interesting. I knew there were at least two types. I used to work at a music store, and we sold cheap ones through a company called Harris Teller. I'm not sure who made them though.

I'm not sure of the tuning of soprano, but a baritone is tuned D G B E, the same as the 4 high strings on a guitar

Sounds like a tenor guitar.

Wouldn't a suprano uke be smaller and higher pitched than a regular one? This one looks larger... I really don't know though.

splatbass
06-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Wouldn't a suprano uke be smaller and higher pitched than a regular one? This one looks larger... I really don't know though.

You are right, I meant tenor. The soprano is the smallest, also known as "standard" ukulele. Then concert, tenor and baritone in order of size. I have a soprano (I can never remember the chord shapes though because I don't play it often enough) and a baritone. I fool around on the baritone sometimes because I play guitar so I know the tuning already.

mcan
06-30-2005, 02:26 PM
You are right, I meant tenor.

Sun can even shine on a dog's ass every now and again... :)

I've probably played one of them before. I used to sell them, but I really can't remember. I know we had a couple tenor guitars, but I'm sure they were steel string. They were about the same size as that guy's, and they were tuned "top 4."

splatbass
06-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Sun can even shine on a dog's ass every now and again... :)

I've probably played one of them before. I used to sell them, but I really can't remember. I know we had a couple tenor guitars, but I'm sure they were steel string. They were about the same size as that guy's, and they were tuned "top 4."

Tenors are usually tuned G C E A, the same as the top 4 of guitar if it is capoed at the fifth fret. They can be tuned D G B E like a baritone though.

ZepSinger
06-30-2005, 03:19 PM
DANG! That was pretty awesome. Now if can cover 'Voodoo Chile' I'll fall down and wet myself....

Z

chagrin
06-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Once in New Orleans, a street musician stopped me and asked if he could play something for me. At the time I was an a-hole (unlike now right?) and I said, "yeah, knock out Thick as a Brick in it's entirety and I will pay you 20 bucks." He did, on his 12-string geeter. That was a heck of alot more interesting than While my guitar Gently weeps on that hybrid Uke he's got there.

Having "said" that, the guy is pretty good but let's not have him signed to a record label already...

aturnis
06-30-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't know if this link will work or not, go to www.ultimate-guitar.com, go to forums, acoustic and classical guitar, and search Justin King. Open the Larivee presents, go to the "here" link, and watch the vid.

If the link doesn't work, just do the work, it's worth the time, this clip is amazing! Enjoy guys!

P.S. Sorry I never get on anymore, computer blew up, no means to fix or get new, working on it though. Take care guys. GO CHIEFS!